D7000 Built-in AF-assist illuminator refuses to be off !

Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions
Qirsh Alhoot
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
D7000 Built-in AF-assist illuminator refuses to be off !
Mar 13, 2012

I am having a problem with my new D7000 , as I could not force the Built-in AF-assist illuminator to be turned off. Of course I used the a7 feature at OFF , but still it shines the light anytime I use a flash ( either the built in or an external strobe).

I am not doing anything fancy, just S-AF and standard metering. If no flah is on then the Assister stays off , but with any flash connected/on it shines, which causes a lot of irritation.

Help please. Thanks

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kvenna
Contributing MemberPosts: 549
Like?
Re: D7000 Built-in AF-assist illuminator refuses to be off !
In reply to Qirsh Alhoot, Mar 13, 2012

Have you got red-eye reduction turned on? As far as I recall, the focus assist illuminator is also the red-eye reduction lamp. (I have the D300/700, but assume it will be the same)

Chris

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hoof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,685
Like?

What shooting mode are you using? The Scene and Auto modes might overrride your setting and turn the light on.

On my D7000, using P, A, S, or M, I've never had the light turn on unless I want it to. Even then, if I'm uing AF-C focusing mode, it never lights. Even AF-S or AF-A doesn't use the light (if enabled) if I use single-point focus and move the focus point off the middle.

Major Major
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?

Funny, I can't get mine to work at all!

Major Major's gear list:Major Major's gear list
Nikon D800
Qirsh Alhoot
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Kvenna, Mar 14, 2012

Kvenna wrote:

Have you got red-eye reduction turned on? As far as I recall, the focus assist illuminator is also the red-eye reduction lamp. (I have the D300/700, but assume it will be the same)

Chris

Thanks Chris so much.

I never cared at all about red-eye reduction. So never read/worried about it.

You are right. Once it turned it off , the AF illuminator is now off as expected.

Thanks again

downtownfish
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
In reply to Major Major, Mar 14, 2012

@majormajor Someone on here told me it only works on the center most autofocus point. Try that. Worked for me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads