Olymous OMD has better samples from what I have seen so far

Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions
chopsteeks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?
Olymous OMD has better samples from what I have seen so far
Mar 13, 2012

For half the price, OMD might be the ulimate street photography tool.....will wait for official reviews before making final decision.

millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
Fail to see whats so special about it
In reply to chopsteeks, Mar 13, 2012

Looks like a fine camera, but is it really reinventing the wheel ? Not hardly

GX1 or EP3 with accessory finder, current G3 or GH2 are all quite capable cameras, some half of what the OM-D cost even.

Lots of really good compacts such as the LX5, or X10

NEX cameras are really good as well, especially with the ability to use all the legacy glass for proper zone focusing/focus peaking. Fantastic EVF options

Can't leave out the X100 of course, or the ever popular Leica's

Ricoh GXR or the updated Sigma's both would be fantastic as well with the snap focus modes

Seems to me there are tons of great choices for street photography these days, many much less expensive than the OM-D so I don't really see the what the big deal is, though perhaps you didn't really post for a logical discussion of all the fantastic tools photographers have at their disposal and rather just wanted to try to stir the pot ?
--
http://www.millsartphotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ohmydentist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,828
Like?
Re: Olymous OMD has better samples from what I have seen so far

Yeah, you really can't go wrong with either cameras. They're even similar in size, OM-D is taller but X-Pro is wider, so they end up with similar overall volume.

I like OM-D better because, so many good lenses are already available. X-Pro have a good trio of lenses to start with, but if you need more, you'll just have to wait for the trickling at a few lenses per year rate. ^^

-- hide signature --

^ ^

Just Shoot !

Photohobbyfun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362
Like?

chopsteeks wrote:

For half the price, OMD might be the ulimate street photography tool.....will wait for official reviews before making final decision.

I don't recommend making posts like this, saying another camera is better at something than a Fujifilm is too much to handle for many posters here. Threads should be more like,

"Yes sweety, your camera is the best. It's absolutely perfect."

As far as image quality is concerned the x-pro1 will have the better sensor. As far as street photography, the x-pro1 will have the ovf that lets you see outside the frame lines. If you use autofocus for street photography though, the Olympus will be much better at letting you get a quick shot off. The tilting touch screen will let you shoot from the hip too. Pick which features you want.

Kai from digitalrev ended the review by saying that the x-pro1 is a lot of fun to shoot with but that not everyone will be willing to accept its deficiencies.

I have an e-m5 pre-ordered and will wait till the end of the year to decide whether I will add the x-pro1 to my bag.

itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?

Do you have a link to these better samples?

No doubt, both cameras will be great. The OM-D will be very nice for street photography. But I'm also interested in landscape, portrait, and travel.

Mikee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,724Gear list
Like?

chopsteeks wrote:

How will an official review sway you?

Mikee's gear list:Mikee's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
chopsteeks
Like?
In reply to Mikee, Mar 13, 2012

So far the reviews for XPro1 I have read were reviewed by folks who already invested into Fuji.

Likewise, reviews I have read about OMD were made by folks who already owns them...

Would like to hear from folks like DPreview to eliminate the 'bias' factor...

Mikee wrote:

chopsteeks wrote:

Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,002
Like?

chopsteeks wrote:

There is no such thing ulimate street photography tool. Every street photographer has his own style, needs ans personal preferences. Wnat's ultimate for one might be very unsuitable for another and no "official review" can change this.

Moti

-- hide signature --
Jakub Kubica
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046
Like?
LOL !!!! [nt]
sclamb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,127
Like?

chopsteeks wrote:

And why do you feel the need to tell us here in the Fuji forum? Should we be interested in what you feel might be the case, or that you may wait for official reviews?

Let us know and perhaps we can enter some meaningful discussion.

-- hide signature --
Bjrn SWE
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?

"Olymous OMD has better samples from what I have seen so far"

Things are not quite clear here. I assume you mean Olympus OMD, but better samples than what? No other camera is mentioned. And what samples are you talking about? Are there any particular samples or just samples in general that you have seen?

Oh, I do like the Olympus OMD by the way, even though I doubt it is "the ulimate street photography tool".

persianpaddy
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
In reply to Bjrn SWE, Mar 13, 2012

APS-C
vs.
MFT

Go Figure!

Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882
Like?
Thank you for the public service announcement!

If we didnt have you to do our thinking for us we might have had to use or own eyes to decide. Hmm, now that you have freed up our eyes, perhaps we could help calibrate your monitor because if you think the omd samples look superior, you clearly need to have something adjusted.

chopsteeks wrote:

fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 374
Like?

I can't wait to get my xpro so I can stop coming on this forum and listening to idiots like you

chopsteeks
Like?
In reply to fluxism, Mar 13, 2012

a bit confused.....you are here because you have not received your X-Pro1 ? What is the connection ?

fluxism wrote:

I can't wait to get my xpro so I can stop coming on this forum and listening to idiots like you

JSTB
Regular MemberPosts: 262
Like?

chopsteeks wrote:

I would wait. Panasonic will come out with a much better camera in 6months or less. They always do. Olympus is is always 2years behind Panasonic. Plus, given their financial woes, who knows if they will even be business2 years fom now. Plus it's a REALLY ugly camera. Then again, I think the fuji iS very reasonably priced given it outperforms my D700, something no MFT camera can do.

RealXenuis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photohobbyfun, Mar 13, 2012

To be fair, Kai's style doesn't lend itself to raving about any camera. I love his reviews, but that's just how he is. If you watch the entire review, I think he obviously likes the camera a lot (as much as Kai can like a camera, that is). But he did take that one shot that was out of focus and left it out there like "hmm..." which is totally fair.

Photohobbyfun wrote:

chopsteeks wrote:

I don't recommend making posts like this, saying another camera is better at something than a Fujifilm is too much to handle for many posters here. Threads should be more like,

"Yes sweety, your camera is the best. It's absolutely perfect."

As far as image quality is concerned the x-pro1 will have the better sensor. As far as street photography, the x-pro1 will have the ovf that lets you see outside the frame lines. If you use autofocus for street photography though, the Olympus will be much better at letting you get a quick shot off. The tilting touch screen will let you shoot from the hip too. Pick which features you want.

Kai from digitalrev ended the review by saying that the x-pro1 is a lot of fun to shoot with but that not everyone will be willing to accept its deficiencies.

I have an e-m5 pre-ordered and will wait till the end of the year to decide whether I will add the x-pro1 to my bag.

RealXenuis
Like?

There are plenty of reviews by ppl who bought their camera, just look around. Also there's bias in every review, regardless of reviewer or affiliation. One can easily make a case that anyone who reviews any camera stands to "benefit" from posting that review, whether it be access, street cred, financial gain, market exposure, etc etc. It would be silly to think that DXO, DPR, etc etc are unbiased and don't gain from the reviews. Just stating the obvious.

chopsteeks wrote:

So far the reviews for XPro1 I have read were reviewed by folks who already invested into Fuji.

Likewise, reviews I have read about OMD were made by folks who already owns them...

Would like to hear from folks like DPreview to eliminate the 'bias' factor...

Mikee wrote:

chopsteeks wrote:

chopsteeks
Like?
In reply to JSTB, Mar 13, 2012

Ugly ----- agree, the 'hump' kinda makes the camera sort of ugly....but will wait to see a real one.....not a photogenic camera for sure...

JSTB wrote:

chopsteeks wrote:

I would wait. Panasonic will come out with a much better camera in 6months or less. They always do. Olympus is is always 2years behind Panasonic. Plus, given their financial woes, who knows if they will even be business2 years fom now. Plus it's a REALLY ugly camera. Then again, I think the fuji iS very reasonably priced given it outperforms my D700, something no MFT camera can do.

RealXenuis
Like?

I agree, the hump is offputting. I don't think it had to be, but still, I've seen uglier cameras. I'm sure it will be fantastic, regardless.

chopsteeks wrote:

Ugly ----- agree, the 'hump' kinda makes the camera sort of ugly....but will wait to see a real one.....not a photogenic camera for sure...

JSTB wrote:

chopsteeks wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads