eneloop vs eneloop XX

Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions
ms18
Contributing MemberPosts: 793Gear list
Like?
eneloop vs eneloop XX
Mar 13, 2012

Is it worth to get eneloop XX othere than the standard one? Main usage will be flashes. I may be shooting once or twice in a month

ms18's gear list:ms18's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Adobe Camera Raw 7 +3 more
nickoly
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,953
Like?
Neither?
In reply to ms18, Mar 13, 2012

ms18 wrote:

Main usage will be flashes. I may be shooting once or twice in a month

In that event you would be smart to recharge the batteries before use, and therefore eneloops are not such a good choice. No matter how much power an eneloop can deliver, a plain vanilla NiMH will deliver more for less $$$.

The feature of eneloops is low standing discharge. They can sit around in the bottom of your bag for over a year - ready to rise to that emergency when your real batteries have gone flat and you have left your charged spares at home.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ms18
Like?
Yes i can charge before the shoot
In reply to nickoly, Mar 13, 2012

More shots and rycycle time is important. What are the recommended batteries? i already bought 4x eneloop + charger.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Adobe Camera Raw 7 +3 more
nickoly
Like?
Just go for a big number

3000 mAh NiMH AAs are commonplace - 8 for $6 and free postage. I believe eneloops are only about 1000 mAh. The number being three times as big essentially means three times as many shots per charge. Both batteries are NiMH, it's just that eneloops discharge more slowly in the cupboard. Since they are both NiMH, the recycle time will be pretty much the same.

I'm sure eneloops have their place, it's at the bottom of your bag.

ms18
Like?
Re: Just go for a big number

Why don't you name them please?

z0624
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?

The newest version of Eneloops are 2000mAh. The Eneloop XX is 2400mAh. I've been shooting MAHA Powerex at 2700mAh but they aren't low discharge. The low-discharge batteries I keep in my bag are the MAHA version called Imedions. I usually get everything at Thomas Distributing. I have a charger that does both a deep-cycle conditioning and a slow charge. The rapid charge has a tendency to heat the battery up which is a detriment to longevity.

nickoly
Like?

GODP 3000 and others of that ilk.

Just trawl eBay

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
Eneloops, every time....

nickoly wrote:

• Eneloops originals were famous for delivering MORE actual power than standard NiMh batteries of nominally higher capacity. Either the standards quoted were a bit TOO damned nominal, or Eneloops could store more juice than they claimed. (Choose your own explanation). Note: This was entirely separate to their ability to hold charge in storage.

• I don't know about the higher output Eneloops that are now available, but having had very good experiences with previous Eneloops supplying more power than expected...

... I cannot see any reason for using anything else, not yet, anyway.
--
Regards,
Baz

"Ahh... But the thing is, they were not just ORDINARY time travellers!"

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Re: Eneloops, every time....
In reply to Barrie Davis, Mar 13, 2012

Barrie Davis wrote:

nickoly wrote:

• Eneloops originals were famous for delivering MORE actual power than standard NiMh batteries of nominally higher capacity. Either the standards quoted were a bit TOO damned nominal, or Eneloops could store more juice than they claimed. (Choose your own explanation). Note: This was entirely separate to their ability to hold charge in storage.

• I don't know about the higher output Eneloops that are now available, but having had very good experiences with previous Eneloops supplying more power than expected...

... I cannot see any reason for using anything else, not yet, anyway.
--
Regards,
Baz

"

They are good, but Duracell had some made by Sanyo (obviously with their own branding) same battery. You have to check though as they changed batches

I've found the Uniross Hybrio's very good too (red ones that stay charged) ultra version. I believe they run the Eneloops very close and are better priced too

That alone gives me a reason to use the Uniross ones

Gary Skirvin
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?

Just received my Sanyo XX today from B&H and they are 2500mAh. I have 8 Eneloops and they are 2000mAh (min 1900mAh)

GS

Loren D Sanders Sr
Regular MemberPosts: 311Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary Skirvin, Mar 14, 2012

I believe they recommend not mixing 2000s with 2500s in the device, flash or what ever. Is that true? What happens if you mix?
--
Loren Sr

Loren D Sanders Sr's gear list:Loren D Sanders Sr's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +1 more
nickoly
Like?
small number
In reply to Gary Skirvin, Mar 14, 2012

I see 3200 NiMH s are available these days........

nickoly
Like?
In reply to Loren D Sanders Sr, Mar 14, 2012

I don't think you will do any damage but when the 2000s go flat the 2500s will not be able to deliver the goods. They just sit there with their 2.4v on offer, but getting nowhere.

Loren D Sanders Sr wrote:

I believe they recommend not mixing 2000s with 2500s in the device, flash or what ever. Is that true? What happens if you mix?

ms18
Like?
mah war
In reply to nickoly, Mar 14, 2012

It is again like a mega pixel war.

Chinese saying

Mega pixel war is over once terapixel war begins.

Gary Skirvin
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?
In reply to Loren D Sanders Sr, Mar 14, 2012

I don't mix them — the Sanyo XX are for the flash, and the Eneloops are for the MB-D10 Grip on the D300s.

GS

ChrisBurch
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?
Re: eneloop vs eneloop XX
In reply to ms18, Mar 20, 2012

I used the regular Eneloops for a long time and was very happy -- they last long in storage and in use. When the XX came out in the US I ordered them immediately and have been very pleased. They last a little long than the original version recharge my flash slightly faster, too. I use the XX in Canon speedlights and save the original Eneloops for my PocketWizards (which last for days or weeks). If I run out of charged XX, I'll still use the original in my flashes, too -- and no, I don't mix them.

I can not recommend Eneloops enough. For the naysayers out there, you just simply don't know what you're talking about. The XX model are enough of a performance boost to warrant the extra cost, but you'll be happy with the regular ones, too.

Outside of photography, the low discharge rechargables have use throughout your home, I never use my old rechargeables any more because they never last. I was by regular batteries for home use for a long time until I had enough low discharge ones to spare for non-photo use. I bought a few sets of the Imedions a while back and the Eneloops (even the original ones) out performed them. The Imedions are all now sitting in my home battery drawer.

ChrisBurch's gear list:ChrisBurch's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +14 more
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
On consideration...
In reply to ChrisBurch, Mar 21, 2012

ChrisBurch wrote:

I can not recommend Eneloops enough. For the naysayers out there, you just simply don't know what you're talking about. The XX model are enough of a performance boost to warrant the extra cost, but you'll be happy with the regular ones, too.

Your post has made me think about about rechargeable AA batteries in more depth. On consideration, I think the excellence of Sanyo Eneloop rechargable NiMh batteries has been a game changer, setting new standards of performance for the whole sector.

This is not insignificant... many small hi-tech items are only useful if they are self-contained electrically, and only remain useful if they keep working when away from recharging facilties.

Thanks Sanyo. I'm another that appreciates your efforts. .
--
Regards,
Baz

"Ahh... But the thing is, they were not just ORDINARY time travellers!"

nickoly
Like?
Oh, really...?
In reply to ChrisBurch, Mar 21, 2012

It depends on what you want the batteries to do. People who actually use their flash equipment are inclined to want as much power as they can get. This gives them more shots and faster recycle times. The unit of capability in a AA cell is the mAh. I think it will be fair to say that no matter how many mAh an eneloop has, the standard NiMH will have more. That is the way it is now, and that is the way it is likely to be in the future.

Currently eneloop XXs are good for 2500 mAh. I see that NiMH can now be had for 3200mAh - 30% more power. If you want to pass that up, feel free. Also, and cheaper, 3000 mAh NiMHs are commonplace.

If you are too lazy and/or too stupid to charge your batteries, then the eneloop is the battery for you.

If you can't read or count, but just go on what the other idiot tells you, then eneloops are for you too. After all, they sound really cool.

But... If you are serious about using a flash, you will want the mAh. So, you will charge your cells and get the mAh you want. It really is that simple.

Eneloops have their place, and that place where they can sit around quietly, and do what they do best - nothing.

It is notable that the manufacturers and sellers of eneloops don't actually make any more claims for them than that. Except that they come ready charged. Big deal...

So convince me....

I submit that most of the hoop-lah about eneloops comes from people who get them to replace NiMH for the most obvious reason - the NiMHs have come to the end of their useful life - and then they wax lyrical over the improved "performance".

ChrisBurch wrote:

I can not recommend Eneloops enough. For the naysayers out there, you just simply don't know what you're talking about.

nickoly
Like?
Indeed
In reply to ms18, Mar 21, 2012

ms18 wrote:

It is again like a mega pixel war.

Chinese saying

Mega pixel war is over once terapixel war begins.

I guess the mAh war ends when the Ah war begins. Who knows what AAs will be delivering in ten years?

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Re: On consideration...
In reply to Barrie Davis, Mar 21, 2012

Barrie Davis wrote:

ChrisBurch wrote:

Your post has made me think about about rechargeable AA batteries in more depth. On consideration, I think the excellence of Sanyo Eneloop rechargable NiMh batteries has been a game changer, setting new standards of performance for the whole sector.

This is not insignificant... many small hi-tech items are only useful if they are self-contained electrically, and only remain useful if they keep working when away from recharging facilties.

Sanyo have a strong brand pull for batteries and to a degree that is deserved. On the other hand it would not be accurate to say they make the "best batteries" or that they're as well priced as they could be.

They are charging a premium for the name too.

And yes I have eneloops right here but there are a number of other makers who make batteries just as good, and at a more reasonable price too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads