Here is the announcement by Fujifilm regarding ORBS

Started Mar 12, 2012 | Discussions
fava
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Here is the announcement by Fujifilm regarding ORBS
Mar 12, 2012

March 12, 2012

The FUJIFILM X10 and X-S1 digital cameras were made available by Fujifilm late last year, and have been generally very well received by customers, who admire the excellent picture quality, manual zoom lens and viewfinder.

However, we did receive some inquiries concerning the so-called ‘white disc’ or ‘blooming’ occurrence, where exceptional highlights in the picture can appear as strongly delineated rounded shapes. This ‘blooming’ effect can occur with all digital cameras which use CMOS sensors, to varying degrees. It can also occur with the X10 and X-S1 when shooting in certain conditions, e.g. cars with front lights shining in dark night scene. The X10 and X-S1 are fitted with a very advanced sensor, which gives excellent picture quality and low noise, but which does give a different ‘blooming’ effect from other cameras.

Fujifilm has a long-standing history of delivering top quality products to the market. In response to our customers’ comments, we have worked hard to find an improvement to reduce the ‘blooming’ effect of the X10 and X-S1. Below are the actions we have undertaken.

In February, we announced a firmware upgrade for the X10 (version 1.03) which does reduce the white disc occurrence specifically in EXR mode. It works by identifying scenes that are likely to get ‘white disc’ blooming. When the camera recognizes such a scene, it automatically increases the ISO and optimizes DR (dynamic range). As the ISO increases, the white discs are less evident. * New firmware for the X-S1 will be available from March 21, 2012.

We will also develop a modified sensor, which will more universally resolve the ‘white disc’ blooming effect in all modes. We are working hard to make this new sensor available from late May 2012.

We encourage any customer with an X10 and X-S1 who has experienced the ‘white disc’ phenomenon to call their local authorized Fujifilm service centre.

Fujifilm is committed to delivering the highest quality products to the photographic community, and is happy to provide this improvement.

So may 2012 for x10 without orbs....

Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Vic Chapman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,987Gear list
Like?
Re: Here is the announcement by Fujifilm regarding ORBS
In reply to fava, Mar 12, 2012

If and when Fuji begin shipping the X10 fitted with the new sensor and it is found to have fixed the problem, I will buy one.
--
When all else fails - read the instructions.

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
raiden78
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vic Chapman, Mar 12, 2012

Vic Chapman wrote:

If and when Fuji begin shipping the X10 fitted with the new sensor and it is found to have fixed the problem, I will buy one.
--

+ 1

raiden78's gear list:raiden78's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,010Gear list
Like?

Since this is a new sensor we need to be wary of any new issues that were introduced in order to resolve the Orbs issue. Unfortunately very few review sites will retest the x10 with the new sensor. I would be interested is seeing dxomark test the new sensor to see what changed in RAW.

Vic Chapman wrote:

--

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Mark H
Senior MemberPosts: 2,823
Like?
New sensor - new camera name X10-b, X11?

fava wrote:

So may 2012 for x10 without orbs....

Fuji really should sell those cameras fitted with the updated sensor using a different name.

They should re-badge the cameras 'X10-b', 'X11' - anything other than 'X10' - otherwise many people simply won't have the confidence to buy (and that all presumes the problem is fixed).

sinbad
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?

Fujifilm is quite the fraudulent company. In essence, they are stalling in providing a satisfactory camera. I notice no suspension of sales of the X-10 or XS-1 until the new sensor is manufactured. Most likely they will disallow any significant repairs on their faulty sensors.

Don't take any pictures of lit birthday candles at low ISO although I know it is springtime and "blooming" is expected.

Larry Winters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,825
Like?

Hi:

We will also develop a modified sensor, which will more universally resolve the ‘white disc’ blooming effect in all modes. We are working hard to make this new sensor available from late May 2012.

We encourage any customer with an X10 and X-S1 who has experienced the ‘white disc’ phenomenon to call their local authorized Fujifilm service centre.

It seems that FF should automatically install this new sensor when available on any X-10 and X-S1 that is returned under warranty coverage for the white disc problem. If one has installed the 1.03 firmware and the Orbs are still there and the customer returns the camera for service, what else could they say or do since they've admitted to having this sensor fix. Other than installing this new sensor in a totally different model number.

lw

David Clarke29
Contributing MemberPosts: 708
Like?
In reply to raiden78, Mar 12, 2012

What are the attackers going to do now? Free councilling maybe (National Health if you live in the UK) or go to the various other forums to perform their black arts.

Dave. (UK)

lacro
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?

I'm just a prospective buyer, waiting for the following model to be released in late may.

Nevertheless, I didn't get in that PR if this new sensor would be freely replaced to the current X10 owners, and

More important why don't they stop selling and withdraw those with the flaws (both X10 and XS1)?

There was no any other action taken regarding the X100 many issues.

Cheers, Carllos

David Clarke29
Contributing MemberPosts: 708
Like?
In reply to SHood, Mar 12, 2012

SHood wrote:

Since this is a new sensor we need to be wary of any new issues that were introduced in order to resolve the Orbs issue. Unfortunately very few review sites will retest the x10 with the new sensor. I would be interested is seeing dxomark test the new sensor to see what changed in RAW.

Vic Chapman wrote:

--

Here we go again - get a life why don't you.

Dave. (UK)

PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,212
Like?

What an anticlimax.

However, we did receive some inquiries concerning the so-called ‘white disc’ or ‘blooming’ occurrence.

SOME, what a joke.

Yeah, because we haven't already done that like half a dozen times already.

Paul.

-- hide signature --

PAUL TILL
Like?

Vic Chapman wrote:

So might I if the EVF housing is sorted so it doesn't come loose or fall off when you put your eye to it and the on/off switch is also fixed.

Paul.

-- hide signature --

cprevost
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
In reply to lacro, Mar 12, 2012

Read carefully. Nowhere did they say that they will replace any sensors. Only that they are working on a new one and that you should contact your service center. Could be that new x10's will have the new sensor and the rest of us are screwed...

cprevost's gear list:cprevost's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +2 more
WolfyWho
Contributing MemberPosts: 957
Like?
Just got off the phone with my local Fuji repair center (NJ, USA)

Just got off the phone with my local Fuji repair center (They're in NJ). I spoke to a nice gentleman there who was very helpful. It seems they're taking names and email addresses of X10 users. He already had mine in the system, since I had mine in for repair several weeks back (on/off switch, loose viewfinder, and orbs of course). He printed it out and was going to take it over to the person collecting the names and email addressses. According to him, they'll email us once the new sensors are available (in May according to the press release), at which time we'll send in our cameras and they'll replace the sensor.

-wolfy

aeneon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Mar 12, 2012

PAUL TILL wrote:

Vic Chapman wrote:

So might I if the EVF housing is sorted so it doesn't come loose or fall off when you put your eye to it and the on/off switch is also fixed.

Paul.

-- hide signature --

I was thinking exactly the same !!

lol101
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,062Gear list
Like?
Re: Just got off the phone with my local authorized repair center (NJ, USA)
In reply to WolfyWho, Mar 12, 2012

If that's the way it works then fine.

Hopefully they'll get the word out to all retailers for them to join their customers and tell them about that offer.

Until then, back to shooting.

lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 1000D Samsung NX1000 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +10 more
Larry Winters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,825
Like?
Re: Just got off the phone with my local authorized repair center (NJ, USA)

Hi wolfy:

According to him, they'll email us once the new sensors are available (in May according to the press release), at which time we'll send in our cameras and they'll replace the sensor.

Thanks for the update. That's pretty much how I interpreted the FF announcement. Try the 1.03 and if that doesn't satisfy, then contact FF and they will replace the sensor when available.

But FF could spell this out specifically to remove doubt and further questions.

lw

PAUL TILL
Like?
Re: Just got off the phone with my local Fuji repair center (NJ, USA)

WolfyWho wrote:

He already had mine in the system, since I had mine in for repair several weeks back (on/off switch, loose viewfinder, and orbs of course).

I had four X10's and two of them had both the loose viewfinder housing and faulty on/off switch.

Paul.
--

nicknd99
Regular MemberPosts: 183Gear list
Like?
Re: Just got off the phone with my local Fuji repair center (NJ, USA)

WolfyWho wrote:

Just got off the phone with my local Fuji repair center (They're in NJ). I spoke to a nice gentleman there who was very helpful. It seems they're taking names and email addresses of X10 users. He already had mine in the system, since I had mine in for repair several weeks back (on/off switch, loose viewfinder, and orbs of course). He printed it out and was going to take it over to the person collecting the names and email addressses. According to him, they'll email us once the new sensors are available (in May according to the press release), at which time we'll send in our cameras and they'll replace the sensor.

-wolfy

I too just spoke with the service center in Edison, NJ, but my e-mail address and contact info wasn't asked for. I called asking if there was a list to be added to, and he said no, that I should call back once the sensor was made available and at that time I would be given instructions on where to send the camera, etc. I asked if I needed to worry about being past any "window" for repair, and he said no. Hmm, I wonder if I should call back to ask about being added to the list?

nicknd99's gear list:nicknd99's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 +15 more
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,529Gear list
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Mar 12, 2012

of course they'll have to fit an EVF first -

I'd hate to think what kind of mess Fuji UK would make replacing a sensor , I envisage returning the cam numerous times due to dust, misalignment and other parts of the camera not re-assembled properly. easy way is to stay clear of the things until ORBless ones hit the shelves

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Samsung NX210
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads