5D MkII looks even better in LR4...

Started Mar 12, 2012 | Discussions
Guy Lerner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,770
Like?
5D MkII looks even better in LR4...
Mar 12, 2012

Hi all,

Just been editing my latest wedding with Lightroom 4, and it never ceases to amaze me how quickly software is developing that helps me get the most out of my RAW files. I don't know what magic juice Adobe is using but right off the bat my 5D2 files are looking cleaner with more DR, and I have more control over how I'm developing them.

Unlike some photographers, I love the post-production stage. That's really where the "magic" happens with a photograph, and where - as long as you have the clean RAW data to work with - photos can turn into art. I'm not for a second dismissing the importance of capturing "the moment", but once it's captured, it's the software that brings it to life.

That's the way I work anyway, so it's always pleasing to see the next generation of software introduce incremental but noticeable improvements to my RAW workflow and the quality of my finished work. Combined with better clean data and a faster camera in the MkIII, I'm really excited about what the next few years of shooting holds for me and my clients!

Would love to hear your own thoughts on this.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,053Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D MkII looks even better in LR4...
In reply to Guy Lerner, Mar 12, 2012

I can only agree - I do try to get the shot right "in-camera" but LR4 is an essential tool to wring the most out of any image file (in my experience - I know there are other opinions )

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
expro
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?

agree about LR4. Algo appears to 'better' set the white and black points whilst retaining higlhights before you even start fiddling...

different to LR3 at first and only just beginning to get the best out of it...

Guy Lerner
Like?
In reply to expro, Mar 12, 2012

I was wondering myself why suddenly all the files I thought would have clipped highlights are somehow very conservative, and this must be it. Love the extra control it gives me, and the leeway to stretch out on either side of the histogram. It also makes the noise of the 5DII at higher ISOs seem more controlled, and the noise reduction algorithms are much, much stronger compared to LR3.

If the MkIII can retain enough detail at high ISOs, I don't think noise will be a problem, even at 5-figure ISO levels. That's where good lenses come in, but that's another topic...

expro wrote:

agree about LR4. Algo appears to 'better' set the white and black points whilst retaining higlhights before you even start fiddling...

different to LR3 at first and only just beginning to get the best out of it...

maiaibing
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,490Gear list
Like?

I can do a lot in PP (LR, CS5 etc.) but do not consider myself an expert. However, I also find that LR4 works better with the 5Dii files than LR3.

I am unsure if this is because of the updated processing engine, the changed way the tools work or some improvement in the handling of 5Dii-files. But it works!

Let me add that I have been surprised how different the updated process is with the old files (due to the changes made in the tools - updated all existing RAW files is a no-go for me for sure).

Guy Lerner wrote:

Hi all,

Just been editing my latest wedding with Lightroom 4, and it never ceases to amaze me how quickly software is developing that helps me get the most out of my RAW files. I don't know what magic juice Adobe is using but right off the bat my 5D2 files are looking cleaner with more DR, and I have more control over how I'm developing them.

Unlike some photographers, I love the post-production stage. That's really where the "magic" happens with a photograph, and where - as long as you have the clean RAW data to work with - photos can turn into art. I'm not for a second dismissing the importance of capturing "the moment", but once it's captured, it's the software that brings it to life.

That's the way I work anyway, so it's always pleasing to see the next generation of software introduce incremental but noticeable improvements to my RAW workflow and the quality of my finished work. Combined with better clean data and a faster camera in the MkIII, I'm really excited about what the next few years of shooting holds for me and my clients!

maiaibing's gear list:maiaibing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,184
Like?

I'm looking forward to CS6.

-- hide signature --

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.

Homer Simpson

expro
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?

yes the highlight control was done on purpose.

gdanmitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,730
Like?

I'm not a Lightroom guy - though I've tried, I'm still a Photoshop fan - but others are reporting similar things. William Neil recently posted some very early digital images of his that he had not previously shared because he wasn't happy with the results - but after reprocessing in LR4 he felt that they were good enough to share.

Dan

Guy Lerner wrote:

Hi all,

DeMaatin
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?

Is anyone reading this who has experience with DxO, compared to LR4 ?

I have DPP and DxO in use for processing my Canon CR2 files, but wondered if there is a tool available to render better colors - DxO (6.x) is awful by comparison.

DxO has certain strengths: NR, a very powerful dust removal tool & angular correction tool, but the colors are beyond my expectations.

Also, I don't want too many raw converters installed in a PC with limited lifespan, that is my main gripe. It's all about investment and gain.

Some ideas ?

Thank You in advance,

Cheers, Martin

technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,693Gear list
Like?

good point, new software can sometimes do more for image quality (including better quality for ones old files) than an expensive hardware upgrade

I'm using an older Photoshop CS version myself, because I use a low power Atom 330 system. But the new Lightroom 4 looks very attractive, guess it's time to upgrade my computer system...

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
liquidphantom
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?

Sometimes I wish this forum had, and forgive me for saying this, a facebook style like button

baran
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?

how is the processing speed of LR4? just read some complaints about out. can anyone confirm this?

thanks,
baran
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kbaranowski/

shawn finger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046
Like?

The new shadow & highlights sliders are so much better than the old fill light slider... just seems a lot less destructive to the image quality.

Julio
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,884
Like?
Re: processing speed and more
In reply to baran, Mar 12, 2012

Speed seems the same as LR3 in my Win7-64 machine.

As others have already pointed out the W & B point settings are much improved in "Process 2012." It's most noticeable in the initial highlight rendering.

Fine structures and NR also seem to be better and the Detail slider has a much stronger effect now and acts in a similar way to some 3rd party (e.g. Nik) "Local contrast" filters...useful in some cases, not so much in others.

baran wrote:

how is the processing speed of LR4? just read some complaints about out. can anyone confirm this?

thanks,
baran
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kbaranowski/

-- hide signature --
Zee Char
Like?
In reply to gdanmitchell, Mar 13, 2012

Me neither. I could never warm up to LR however up until recently too was difficult to knick me off my DPP horse. I really starting to enjoy using ACR. The NR is far better than DPP and it offers more functions. I wish Canon put as much work into DPP as Adobe does. They have come a long way in the last few years.

gdanmitchell wrote:

I'm not a Lightroom guy - though I've tried, I'm still a Photoshop fan - but others are reporting similar things. William Neil recently posted some very early digital images of his that he had not previously shared because he wasn't happy with the results - but after reprocessing in LR4 he felt that they were good enough to share.

Dan

Guy Lerner wrote:

Hi all,

-- hide signature --

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.

Homer Simpson

Zee Char
Like?
In reply to DeMaatin, Mar 13, 2012

DeMaatin wrote:

Is anyone reading this who has experience with DxO, compared to LR4 ?

I have DPP and DxO in use for processing my Canon CR2 files, but wondered if there is a tool available to render better colors - DxO (6.x) is awful by comparison.

DxO has certain strengths: NR, a very powerful dust removal tool & angular correction tool, but the colors are beyond my expectations.

Also, I don't want too many raw converters installed in a PC with limited lifespan, that is my main gripe. It's all about investment and gain.

Some ideas ?

Thank You in advance

Cheers, Martin

The only thing I have never liked about ACR/LR are the skin tones. I have always like DPP better. I was editing a wedding a month ago, tried ACR but went back to DPP. A few weeks later I came across a thread where a person imported Canon picture styles and set it to Landscape. The settings

1. Landscape
2.Clarity -10
3. Vibrance -10 to 25
4. Saturation 0

This is using landscape with Vibrance - 23. Might be a little cool for some but I found it a very nice look.

Option B is

1. Camera faithful
2. -10 clarity
3. 10 vibrance
4. -10 saturation

-- hide signature --

Homer Simpson

MisterPootieCat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,964Gear list
Like?
New DPP features are on the way
In reply to Zee Char, Mar 13, 2012

Zee Char wrote:

Me neither. I could never warm up to LR however up until recently too was difficult to knick me off my DPP horse. I really starting to enjoy using ACR. The NR is far better than DPP and it offers more functions. I wish Canon put as much work into DPP as Adobe does. They have come a long way in the last few years.

The current buzz around the new version of DPP looks promising, scan down to the comments about the Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO) for details. And it supports EOS bodies from the 30D forward.

http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/AH_CW_interview/

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +17 more
Amancio Couto
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?
In reply to Guy Lerner, Mar 13, 2012

Again; The best camera is the best photographer beside the the best lens. NOT bla, bla bla...+...bla bla.
--
Blondy's

Amancio Couto's gear list:Amancio Couto's gear list
Samsung NX100 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM
Randplaty
Contributing MemberPosts: 504
Like?
In reply to Amancio Couto, Mar 13, 2012

Is it possible that Adobe could create a better raw converter for the 5D2 than DPP? Could LR4 RAWs look better than DPP?

Guy Lerner
Like?
In reply to Randplaty, Mar 13, 2012

Absolutely. LR3 is already better than DPP, and LR4 seems to have upped the bar by a fair bit. So suddenly the 5D2 looks even better, and the 5D3, well, we can only hope the trend continues.

Remember RAW data is just that, data. It's up to the software to extract the best possible image from that data.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads