First Weekend with NEX-7

Started Mar 12, 2012 | Discussions
NYCowboy
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
First Weekend with NEX-7
Mar 12, 2012

After reading dozens of reviews and crawling this forum for ever I finally pulled the trigger and got a NEX-7 kit. Compared with my nearly 10 year old Nikon DSLR it's an amazing camera: fast, light, and feature packed. After walking around Central Park and the MET this weekend and snapped a few pictures below. Any thoughts on improving the pictures by tweaking some settings, or advice on better compositions gladly accepted.

Everything taken with the kit lens:

Cheers

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,945Gear list
Like?
Re: First Weekend with NEX-7
In reply to NYCowboy, Mar 12, 2012

Like the first and last a whole bunch, I'd like to post my first impressions as well, this is my first weekend with it too.

Unfortunately DPReview won't let me upload any pictures, even though they are well under the 20MP limit.

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Eddiewyatt
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Mar 12, 2012

Wow, Very nice pics. Great color and tack sharp for the kit lens too.

relate2
Contributing MemberPosts: 930
Like?

El Matadurr wrote:

Like the first and last a whole bunch, I'd like to post my first impressions as well, this is my first weekend with it too.

Unfortunately DPReview won't let me upload any pictures, even though they are well under the 20MP limit.

There is also a dimensions limit. I found if I resized them to 4,000 pixels on the longest side they upload. Having said that I have had some problems with the upload function in Dpreview.

They upload fine but do not show up when I go to add them to a post until I go to "Show all photos."

El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to relate2, Mar 12, 2012

relate2 wrote:

There is also a dimensions limit. I found if I resized them to 4,000 pixels on the longest side they upload. Having said that I have had some problems with the upload function in Dpreview.

They upload fine but do not show up when I go to add them to a post until I go to "Show all photos."

Right, I thought that might have been the case, but it won't even let me upload the picture of the camera taken with the 12MP d300.

George Kontos
Contributing MemberPosts: 832
Like?

I've been having problems uploading to DPR the past few weeks. I have to keep trying the upload over and over again. Sometimes it eventually works, other times it does not. Also, the last time I tried it, it wouldn't work when I tried it one way, but it did work when I did it a different way. Unfortunately I don't recall what I did differently.

El Matadurr wrote:

it won't even let me upload the picture of the camera taken with the 12MP d300.

jimkohn
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
In reply to George Kontos, Mar 12, 2012

This was my first weekend with the NEX-7 (kit) as well. I'm wondering if others are finding it as big an adjustment from a conventional DSLR as I am? I got some truly great images, missed a bunch, and felt like a real rookie much of the time. Loving the camera, and I'm more impressed with the kit lens than I thought I'd be, but I think this is really going to take some getting used to.

I am amazed at the tiny size and light weight. I was able to fit the camera in a coat pocket which is a real advantage. When I put the pictures up on my big monitor they took my breath away. If, as some have said, the kit lens doesn't do justice to the resolution potential of the camera, I can't even imagine what the IQ will be with a lens that does.
So, how are you adjusting to the new camera?

jimkohn's gear list:jimkohn's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
relate2
Contributing MemberPosts: 930
Like?
In reply to jimkohn, Mar 12, 2012

With so many options it took me a week to finally get it set up the way I wanted and to get comfortable with shooting.

Even now though I am still forgetting about some of the tricks like Twilight and Anti-motion blur modes, which amaze me sometimes with what they pull off.
--
http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2

BruPri
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?

Congrats! beautiful spring colors! Only comment on the lamp post pic is perhaps consider the rule of thirds when composing, might yield some surprising options.

Charlie Lab
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?

I can do everything in Chrome except upload pictures, it's weird, might just be a Java engine issue or something. I use Explorer to upload pics, then back to Chrome for everything else (way faster).

Sometimes things like this happen, especially if the hosting software falls a generation behind.

El Matadurr wrote:

El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to Charlie Lab, Mar 12, 2012

Thanks, I'll try it on firefox in the morning. Gotta get my opinion out there.

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,600Gear list
Like?

Nice shooting and great to see. Love the first shot, thats a stunner IMO and good colours with them all.

All the best and have fun

Danny.
m4/3 macro
http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

m4/3 feathered flying gadgets
http://www.macrophotos.com/avian/avian.html

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

creeker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449
Like?

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Ed

George Kontos
Contributing MemberPosts: 832
Like?
In reply to jimkohn, Mar 12, 2012

jimkohn wrote:

This was my first weekend with the NEX-7 (kit) as well. I'm wondering if others are finding it as big an adjustment from a conventional DSLR as I am?

Definitely requires a big adjustment. Having been an advanced amateur for many years, I know what settings and options I want, but I've been having trouble finding some of them. For example, it took me quite a while to find where the metering options were located. I don't understand why that is "hidden" in a menu, but other things like focus area, white balance, DRO, contrast, sharpness, and saturation are easily available by pressing the navigation button.

Nevertheless, I know where the metering options are located now, and despite there being a bit of a learning curve to master how the camera's UI works, it's a really fun little camera.

George

harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
kit lens

yes
I find the kit lens quite sharp in the centre, although never tack sharp
a pretty good performance for a kit lens

my advise is to use raw only and process in lightroom 3.x or later
the noise reduction and detail extraction is brilliant

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads