Want to 'downgrade" from D700 to D5100

Started Mar 11, 2012 | Discussions
Digital Click
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Want to 'downgrade" from D700 to D5100
Mar 11, 2012

Hi all

I love my D700 and the FX lenses I have with it but its heavy! I also have a D3s which is also heavy and is my main workhorse and sometimes, but rare, have to carry 2 cameras which is doing my back in. Also just for enjoyment and breaks, I use the D700 only but it is heavy and I end up using a compact Canon S90 more.

Its not often though I need 2 cameras for shoots but I doing more photography for pleasure which means moving around places etc - For actual commissioned shoots I am often in a specific area so D3s and equipment issue not a problem.

So now thinking of exchanging my D700 body for a D5100 and 18-200 lens. I also have a problem with my eyes and will use the monitor more and also have mobility problems so the angle monitor would be better. It is also these factor that are making me think about changing - I want to enjoy photography more for myself but at a level I can manage. Options for kit are as follows and would appreciate any advice/comments from people who have used such combos:

(1) 5100 + 18-200

(2) 5100 - 18-55 kit lens - 55-300 (lightweight zoom) - also have a 70-300 AFs lens

Don't mind the 2-lens option with 55-300 - it is not very big or heavy.

Thank you.

TK

http://www.manwithcamera.smugmug.com

Digital Click's gear list:Digital Click's gear list
Nikon D750
Canon PowerShot S90 Nikon D3S Nikon D5100 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
josephsiu
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Re: Want to 'downgrade" from D700 to D5100
In reply to Digital Click, Mar 11, 2012

Sometimes I forget how light my D5100 is until I pick up another model. It has a nice sensor and takes great photos. Coming from a D700 you're going to miss the extra buttons and the smaller setting LCD, but if you're going to use the main LCD a lot, it should be fine.

I think if you're going for weight saving, the 18-55 and 55-300 combo should serve you well since they're light weight, especially if you only plan on carrying one or the other at a time. I have a 18-55/55-200 combo and I'm thinking about switching to a a one lens solution for the range since I don't like changing lenses. As someone who gets paid to take photos, I would think that you're used to doing that.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ChristianHass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,939Gear list
Like?
In reply to josephsiu, Mar 11, 2012

Two other lenses you could consider is the 18-105VR and the 16-85VR.

Both balance better on the D5100, I find the 18-200VR quite front heavy on the small body. They're also both generally regarded as being better optically than the 18-200VR, and the 18-105VR is quite a bit cheaper than the other two if that's a concern.
--
Shooting for fun and memories.

ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?

If you're going lightweight I'd suggest you consider the 18-105 VR ( very good optically ) and the 55-300 VR. The extra range of the 18-105 over the 18-55 is well worth it and very handy for general shooting.

I'd suggest you consider the D7000 as well. Yes it's bigger than the D5100, but it's also got a lot more control for someone used to a pro camera. Combined with the light lenses you're still well ahead on weight compared to the full frame options.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,469Gear list
Like?
In reply to Deleted1929, Mar 11, 2012

I added a D5100 to my D700 and take it everywhere, up hill and down dale, to places I'd be reluctant to heave the D700 plus lenses. For most occasions it's absolutely fine. Small, light and neat, I love mine.

At low to medium ISOs the IQ is very close to the D700, and while I'm not familiar with the Canon S90, I guess if this has adequate IQ, the D5100 will be way more than adequate.

As you will still have a D3s, you still have D700 (plus) IQ when you want it.

I personally love the options available with the swivel screen. Just be aware that live view AF is significantly slower than through the VF and there's a slight lag between pressing the shutter button and capturing the image. But for landscapes it works wonderfully.

The kit lens (18-55) is good, but I want a 16-85 for its wider angle. I've not used an 18-200, but am aware it's not universally loved. And the 70-300 is fine but rather heavy compared with DX lenses, so defeating the purpose of the project to some extent.

I haven't used the 18-105, but if 18 is wide enough for you, you might manage with just this lens instead of two.

I find the oft quoted lack of control customisation unimportant. Everything I want to do I can do pretty quickly. The biggest miss could be the lack of a dedicated ISO change control, but since I use auto ISO this doesn't matter to me.

In summary, my advice is get the D5100, if you're like me you'll like it a lot.

PS And while I don't know what your commissioned shoots involve, you could well find the D5100 IQ good enough to use it on them along with your D3s
-
Rens

There are optimists and there are realists

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Digital Click
Like?
In reply to josephsiu, Mar 11, 2012

use to have a d5000 so don't the lesser features and buttons. WHen I switched over the Nikon from Canon, I first brought a 14-24 lens and got frustrated not having a camera to put on - was saving for D700 but then went and got a D5000 but sold it a mont later to my brother in law who was amazed at the quality with standard lens.

I prefer one lens situation - I am used to change lenses but hate doing it and have dropped all my lenses at one time or another! ONly one did not survive the incident! However the combo variations available for D5100 are not heavy so easy to carry around and if they make for better IQ it will be strong point to consider

TK

josephsiu wrote:

Sometimes I forget how light my D5100 is until I pick up another model. It has a nice sensor and takes great photos. Coming from a D700 you're going to miss the extra buttons and the smaller setting LCD, but if you're going to use the main LCD a lot, it should be fine.

I think if you're going for weight saving, the 18-55 and 55-300 combo should serve you well since they're light weight, especially if you only plan on carrying one or the other at a time. I have a 18-55/55-200 combo and I'm thinking about switching to a a one lens solution for the range since I don't like changing lenses. As someone who gets paid to take photos, I would think that you're used to doing that.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D750
rondhamalam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,552
Like?
I have Both

While D5100 dynamic range at low iso is better than D700 in term of pulling shadows,
the D700 is much better in high iso area.

The D5100 high iso has a pop corn noise.

But I like it's light weight body.... and the swivel screen

Digital Click
Like?
In reply to ChristianHass, Mar 11, 2012

Hi Christian

I have used the 18-105 which I liked but considering 18-55 only because it comes in the kit form. Had not considered the 18-85 VR and will look into this if I can get body only as I do have a 70-300 AFS to cover the bigger range but I think the 55-300 is much smaller and lighter

TK

ChristianHass wrote:

Two other lenses you could consider is the 18-105VR and the 16-85VR.

Both balance better on the D5100, I find the 18-200VR quite front heavy on the small body. They're also both generally regarded as being better optically than the 18-200VR, and the 18-105VR is quite a bit cheaper than the other two if that's a concern.
--
Shooting for fun and memories.

Nikon D750
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,902Gear list
Like?
I came from D700 and ..

looked at the D5100 too.

I ended up with D7000 for a number of reasons;

In your situation I'd go for the D5100 18-105 VR. This has an excellent reputation on the DX sensors.

The extra and real resolution of the D5100 will give you some cropping leeway. (not quite up to the 18-200 magnification level, but worthwhile) The IQ of the 18-200 is lacking on the D5100 sensor.. apparently, so you might not get the quality you require with it anyway over the 18-105.

Must admit the freedom from the weight (with D7000/16-85 in my case, over the D700/24-70 f2.8 I had) is a joy and makes me more lilely to pick up the camera and go out for the day, now, than 'put up with' my phone cam or 'only just better' Nikon L5. Slight exageration there but you see what i mean?

All the best.
--
There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D610 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Digital Click
Like?
In reply to Deleted1929, Mar 11, 2012

HI Stephen

I did have a d7000 for about a month but exchanged it with other bits for a D3s. Really liked it but not this time round for 3 reasons:

1. bigger
2. Had no angle monitor which I need because of my mobility issues
3. Way over my budget!

TK

sjgcit wrote:

If you're going lightweight I'd suggest you consider the 18-105 VR ( very good optically ) and the 55-300 VR. The extra range of the 18-105 over the 18-55 is well worth it and very handy for general shooting.

I'd suggest you consider the D7000 as well. Yes it's bigger than the D5100, but it's also got a lot more control for someone used to a pro camera. Combined with the light lenses you're still well ahead on weight compared to the full frame options.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Nikon D750
Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,469Gear list
Like?

Digital Click wrote:

use to have a d5000 so don't the lesser features and buttons. ....a mont later to my brother in law who was amazed at the quality with standard lens.

I had a D500 for a weekend but took it back. Much prefer the D5100

I prefer one lens situation - I am used to change lenses but hate doing it and have dropped all my lenses at one time or another! ONly one did not survive the incident! However the combo variations available for D5100 are not heavy so easy to carry around and if they make for better IQ it will be strong point to consider

You make a case for the 18-105

-- hide signature --

Rens

There are optimists and there are realists

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Digital Click
Like?
Re: I have Both
In reply to rondhamalam, Mar 11, 2012

Hi

I agree but I need the iso capability MORE in my pro shoots at events etc but do not need it for personal enjoyment except maybe once in a while in low light situation.

However, if you had to take one system away with you on a holiday which one are you likely to take?

TK

rondhamalam wrote:

While D5100 dynamic range at low iso is better than D700 in term of pulling shadows,
the D700 is much better in high iso area.

The D5100 high iso has a pop corn noise.

But I like it's light weight body.... and the swivel screen

Nikon D750
rcamargo
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?

If you have a D3S you won't miss your D700 because you already have equal or better IQ and High ISO capabilities. I have the D700 and the D5100 and I am very happy with both. I'm sure you will love the D5100.

As for the lenses I would suggest the 16-85 and 70-300VR, very strong combination.
Good luck.

-- hide signature --

sorry if my english isn't correct
Ricardo Camargo

rcamargo's gear list:rcamargo's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to rcamargo, Mar 11, 2012

The D5100 is not nearly as expensive as a D700. You can find a D5100 body only for approx. $600 USD in the US, perhaps a bit more abroad. If I were you, I'd just purchase the D5100 without selling the D700.

I definitely understand about weight issues, but I'm not sure the D5100 is going to be able to replace your D700: the viewfinder is smaller, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have 2 command dials like the D700, D7000.

While back went down to B&H fully intending to purchase the D5100, and walked out with the D7000 instead. It's a bit bigger, but feels much more robust, has 100% viewfinder and fast fps vs. D5100. Both cameras do share the same sensor and take excellent images. But to give up a D700 for anything but a D800 seems slightly crazy.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
xrdbear
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,712
Like?

So now thinking of exchanging my D700 body for a D5100 and 18-200 lens. I also have a problem with my eyes and will use the monitor more and also have mobility problems so the angle monitor would be better. It is also these factor that are making me think about changing - I want to enjoy photography more for myself but at a level I can manage. Options for kit are as follows and would appreciate any advice/comments from people who have used such combos:

I think the D5100 would be a great choice for you. I also have mobility problems and can no longer kneel down or squat so the angled finder is a huge help. I also have a D3 but the weight of it has become a serious problem so, like you it is reserved for what I would call set piece photography, tripod, interiors etc. To go out with the D5100 is king and I get extra benefit by using a Cotton Carrier on the chest. With that you can barely detect the weight of the D5100.

I got it with the kit lens because it was a WEX clearance offer but only use it for video. Although it adds a bit to the weight I walk around with my 17-55 which is a lot sharper.
--
Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

ShelNf
Regular MemberPosts: 391
Like?

rcamargo wrote:

If you have a D3S you won't miss your D700 because you already have equal or better IQ and High ISO capabilities. I have the D700 and the D5100 and I am very happy with both. I'm sure you will love the D5100.

As for the lenses I would suggest the 16-85 and 70-300VR, very strong combination.
Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Ricardo Camargo

+1 to 16-85/70-300. A lot of coverage with great quality.

Digital Click
Like?

Hi Ricardo

How do you rate the quality of the 16-85? I already have a 70-300 so is the 16-35 better to have than say 18-105 (IQ wise) or 18-200?

TK

rcamargo wrote:

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Ricardo Camargo

Nikon D750
Digital Click
Like?
In reply to marike6, Mar 11, 2012

Hi Marike

I understand what you are saying and believe me its hurting just thinking about it. But when I have been out and about for pleasure with the D700 I still end up shooting more pics on the Canon S90 tiny compact. I just leave the D700 in the car or hotel - I have to now use the walking stick/seat more often - will be 50 this year and with 3 hip replacements already done and another one pending I just want something light - it is a need rather than want - though I every time I pick up the d700 thiking this is what I might exchange for a D5100 well its kind upsetting.

Financially if I could afford it I would just buy the D5100 and if I hold back purchase for now, might be able to do that.

TK

marike6 wrote:

The D5100 is not nearly as expensive as a D700. You can find a D5100 body only for approx. $600 USD in the US, perhaps a bit more abroad. If I were you, I'd just purchase the D5100 without selling the D700.

I definitely understand about weight issues, but I'm not sure the D5100 is going to be able to replace your D700: the viewfinder is smaller, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have 2 command dials like the D700, D7000.

While back went down to B&H fully intending to purchase the D5100, and walked out with the D7000 instead. It's a bit bigger, but feels much more robust, has 100% viewfinder and fast fps vs. D5100. Both cameras do share the same sensor and take excellent images. But to give up a D700 for anything but a D800 seems slightly crazy.

Nikon D750
Digital Click
Like?
In reply to xrdbear, Mar 11, 2012

Hi Brian

first of really like your gallery - were these taken with D5100?

I can see you understand my need, reluctant as it is, I feel to keep on enjoying photography I may need to adopt this route. I am not sure what you mean by Cotton Carrier on the chest?

I also had a 17-55 lens for a while but sold it when I xchanged for D3s with the D7000 but that is a greta lens but again too heavy now. However prior to Nikon I had a Canon 40d with the Canon version of the 17-55 F2.8 which also had image stabilisation - that was one of the best lenses I have had - better than Nikon version but nothing can beat the 14-24..

Beginning now to think of 18-105 or 16-85 and 55-300.

God I hope I don't regret this..

TK

I think the D5100 would be a great choice for you. I also have mobility problems and can no longer kneel down or squat so the angled finder is a huge help. I also have a D3 but the weight of it has become a serious problem so, like you it is reserved for what I would call set piece photography, tripod, interiors etc. To go out with the D5100 is king and I get extra benefit by using a Cotton Carrier on the chest. With that you can barely detect the weight of the D5100.

I got it with the kit lens because it was a WEX clearance offer but only use it for video. Although it adds a bit to the weight I walk around with my 17-55 which is a lot sharper.
--
Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

Nikon D750
Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,203Gear list
Like?

For weight purposes it is a valid thing to move from a D700 to a D5100. I did that for vacation and personal type photography, I have the 28-300mm VR nikkor and a 8-16mm sigma, that covers all the territory I need in a tipical vacation (a non photographical vacation per say).

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads