Challenge winner with multiple accounts!

Started Mar 11, 2012 | Discussions
Werli Francois
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Challenge winner with multiple accounts!
Mar 11, 2012

Namaste DPreview Members

Yesterday we had the result for the challenge, The "eyes" have it.
http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=6054

The winner image has 31 ratings including 13 with 5,0 points.
http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=588144

Image #5 has received 29 ratings including 5 ratings with 0,5 points which is as many lowest ratings as the last image of the challenge #60.
http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=587560

Been the photographer of image #5, I thought that this is NOT ONLY the work of Facebook friends who may give 5,0 ratings but not multiple 0,5 ratings.

After looking into the comments of the winning images of DPreview member Joao Sobral, I realized that two comments came from accounts opened during the same period as Joao Sobral's first entry into challenges and also that those two accounts were only used to give ratings and two very positive comments to Joao Sobral images.

Then I also realized that the words used for those comments were the same, even they were given by two different names at two different challenges; Love it, just perfect

The two accounts are Matilde and Sofia Mendes.
http://www.dpreview.com/members/2553557584
and
http://www.dpreview.com/members/118453263

There are probably many more fake accounts under Joao Sobral's hand, but if they don't comment then there is no way to find out, except maybe for DPreview?!

It looks like Joao Sobral has fund the ultimate winning technique: fake accounts, probably about 5 to 10 (or more!), which he will use to upgrade his image and to downgrade the images he sees as a danger to his success!

Is it worth having your best images been downgraded to see random images winning DPreview contest?

I guess I will have to meditate on that!

May all Beings be happy

EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?
We'll see how long before he starts promoting his 'win' on his own website
In reply to Werli Francois, Mar 11, 2012

If you go to the guy's web site at http://www.unrealimage.com , you can see that he prominently announces, on the front page, his previous 'win' on DPR. We'll see how long before he announces his second 'win'.

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jan2009
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?
Re: Challenge winner with multiple accounts!

OmTapas,

Do not even waste a breathe on those low life who cheat. No use, But it is good that you managed to investigate. So now we at least know there are 3 accounts that votes unfairly.

Just continue inspiring us with your images. The majority of the active members know anyway who are the real winners.

br,
Norberto

Jan2009's gear list:Jan2009's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
RaptorUK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,266Gear list
Like?

You should be careful about the accusations you make when you have no real evidence.

omtapas wrote:

Namaste DPreview Members

Yesterday we had the result for the challenge, The "eyes" have it.
http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=6054

The winner image has 31 ratings including 13 with 5,0 points.
http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=588144

Image #5 has received 29 ratings including 5 ratings with 0,5 points which is as many lowest ratings as the last image of the challenge #60.
http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=587560

Been the photographer of image #5, I thought that this is NOT ONLY the work of Facebook friends who may give 5,0 ratings but not multiple 0,5 ratings.

After looking into the comments of the winning images of DPreview member Joao Sobral, I realized that two comments came from accounts opened during the same period as Joao Sobral's first entry into challenges and also that those two accounts were only used to give ratings and two very positive comments to Joao Sobral images.

Then I also realized that the words used for those comments were the same, even they were given by two different names at two different challenges; Love it, just perfect

The two accounts are Matilde and Sofia Mendes.
http://www.dpreview.com/members/2553557584
and
http://www.dpreview.com/members/118453263

There are probably many more fake accounts under Joao Sobral's hand, but if they don't comment then there is no way to find out, except maybe for DPreview?!

It looks like Joao Sobral has fund the ultimate winning technique: fake accounts, probably about 5 to 10 (or more!), which he will use to upgrade his image and to downgrade the images he sees as a danger to his success!

Is it worth having your best images been downgraded to see random images winning DPreview contest?

I guess I will have to meditate on that!

May all Beings be happy

-- hide signature --

Take a look at my album . . . http://www.F1Album.com

RaptorUK's gear list:RaptorUK's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
Werli Francois
Like?
In reply to RaptorUK, Mar 11, 2012

Yes Raptor, I could be wrong.

Adding the coincidences doesn't make one a cheater as long there are no evidence. I agree.

But, to my perception the coincidences seem obvious: someone has cheated!

1. the big amount of the highest ratings for the winner pictures of Joao Sobral.

2. the big amount of the lowest ratings for images #5, #12 and #26 (as high as the latest image in the challenge #60).

3. all those extreme ratings up or down for only four images are not in balance with the rest of the votes.

Who does it serve all those anomalies?!

I was not the first to comment about the excessive high ratings for Joao Sobral's image! It is only after those comments that I realized that something may be going not correctly with 5 ratings of 0,5 points on my own image.

Why have 3 pictures been targeted with so many lowest rating? I guess it served someone and the only one it seems to serve is the winner of this challenge. To my opinion the 3 images targeted where the best of the challenge.

For me it is not about winning or losing, it is about Dharma; doing the correct thing. If no on opens his mouth, then the person who I suspect to cheat maybe going for quite a while in the wrong direction... if the last events helps him finding a new path, then I did the right thing.

All photographers submitting their images are happy if their images do well, as it reflects their skills and their capacities to adapt to a certain challenge. For me, they have all been cheated, me included. Is it so important for me, that I need to make such an effort to expose the one I suspect? Am I upset or angry?

NO, just looking at someones pain, thinking, what can he gain in cheating us all, not realizing that he is part of us all!

Looking back into joao Sobral's challenge history, obviously his first two images have had a lot of success and finished #1 and #2 of a challenge. Does that prove that he cheated, certainly not!

In the unfolding play of events after "The eyes make it" challenge, a woman named Matilde gave a comment on the winning image of Joao Sobral; the comment uses the words "Love it, just perfect."

Looking at Matilde's history I realized that this is her first comment since she opened a DPreview account on the 23rd of January 2012. Why is she commenting here, there has been plenty of challenges since her joining DPreview?

Coincidence? on the same day, 23rd of January 2012, Joao Sobral submits his first two images for challenge, which images will rank #1 and #2.

On the winning image of Joao Sobral there is also a comment from a user called Sofia Mendes. She opened her account on the 6th of February 2012 and used the same comment words than Matilde; Love it, just perfect, to comment on Joao Sobral first winning image.

Two different persons, two different challenges, the same words used?

Coincidence? maybe, maybe not.

Facebook friends don't give 0,5 ratings. For me it seems to be the work of a single person, and I don't see any other possibilities than multiples accounts, manipulated by one person.

If I am wrong, then who else does it serve than Joao Sobral to give 0,5 points ratings? And which other way is there to give those extreme high or low ratings than multiples accounts?
--
May all Beings be happy

RaptorUK
Like?

I agree with many of your sentiments, but once you start throwing stones you cannot take them back, if your stone is thrown in error you can do a lot of damage.

I'm just urging you to be cautious . . .

I have thrown a lot of stones, I try to check carefully that I am not in error . . . take for example Rusticus, he has entered many pictures that I thought were questionable but I only highlighted the one that I knew was a CHEAT. It still makes him a CHEAT even if it is only one picture.

If you look at Joao Sobral's facebook page you will see he talks about the "team" . . . maybe the other people you mention are members of that team . . . if that is the case all that has gone on is some vote solicitation and sandbagging . . . neither of which are against the rules . . . . in fact even if Joao Sobral has multiple IDs . . . that isn't against the written rules either.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
Werli Francois
Like?

Thank you for sharing your story... it looks a bit like you are the police of DPreview!

Would you ask some others to downgrade some else's images telling them exactly which one? sounds insane to me, so even if a team exist to give many 5,0 ratings, I do not think it is the work of a team but Joao Sobral himself to give all those 0,5 ratings.

Why should one open different accounts on DPreview, even if it is not against the rules?

-- hide signature --

May all Beings be happy

Deleted pending purge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?

Both members supporting the ID in question have no pictures of their own in their galleries... I see plenty of reason to be suspicious there, and in any case, this deserves a real close look by DPR people.
Om Tapas, I suggest you file a complaint (use Feedback link).

Jan2009
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?

One way to spoil Joao's triumph is to question his winning. I will do this on his entry that links from his webpage that boast of his majestic 1-2 triumph.

I have viewed that challenge and I do not remember his image having a lasting impact even on my untrained photographic eye.

Jan2009's gear list:Jan2009's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
Werli Francois
Like?
In reply to Deleted pending purge, Mar 11, 2012

OldArrow wrote:

In any case, this deserves a close look by DPR people.

Yes I really wish so...

-- hide signature --

May all Beings be happy

Werli Francois
Like?
In reply to Jan2009, Mar 11, 2012

Jan2009 wrote:

One way to spoil Joao's triumph is to question his winning. I will do this on his entry that links from his webpage that boast of his majestic 1-2 triumph.

I have viewed that challenge and I do not remember his image having a lasting impact even on my untrained photographic eye.

You said to me: Do not even waste a breathe...
Don't worry Noberto... I don't think it is needed...

-- hide signature --

May all Beings be happy

ConanFuji
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,214Gear list
Like?

Suxs...
Its up to mike now.

omtapas wrote:

Jan2009 wrote:

You said to me: Do not even waste a breathe...
Don't worry Noberto... I don't think it is needed...

-- hide signature --

May all Beings be happy

ConanFuji's gear list:ConanFuji's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F500 EXR FinePix S1 Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
RaptorUK
Like?

There is a saying, people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones . . .

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=317951

Capture date rules:
Images must be shot after the announcement date of the challenge.

Announced:
Wednesday, 6th October, 2010 (GMT)

Your image . . .

Submitted: Sunday, 17th October, 2010 07:27 (GMT)
Taken: Sunday, 10th October, 2010

Your image EXIF tells a different story . . .

Software = Paint Shop Pro Photo 12.50
Date Time = 2010-04-24 18:56:47

Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2009-11-24 17:31:19
Date Time Digitized = 2009-11-24 17:31:19

so I guess this makes you a CHEAT too ? or maybe your camera clock and your PC clock were both set wrong ?

-- hide signature --

Deleted pending purge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?

Whoops!

This Planet must be ready for recycling...

El Crapio
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?

Dharma is a double edged blade after all...

Joao Sobral
Regular MemberPosts: 356Gear list
Like?

Get a life. I didn’t cheat. I only posted on my facebook that I was entering a Dpreview challenge. If some of my friend voted on my photo them I’m proud, I didn’t ask for their vote.
You have to learn to loose.

El Crapio
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
In reply to Joao Sobral, Mar 11, 2012

Joao Sobral wrote:

Get a life. I didn’t cheat. I only posted on my facebook that I was entering a Dpreview challenge. If some of my friend voted on my photo them I’m proud, I didn’t ask for their vote.
You have to learn to loose.

Ahem.

Shall I post the comments also? Where you "don't ask" for their vote? Where you "don't explain" that they have to register in order to vote?

Joao Sobral
Like?
In reply to El Crapio, Mar 11, 2012

I'll translate it to you. "Se quiserem votar" doesn't mean vote on it. It means something like "if you wish to vote" I never said “ Votem na minha foto”

You know that envy is a sin right?

I wonder what happened to you to turn you in such a bitter person.

People ask me how they could vote and I said they had to be registered.
Where did I cheat?

Joao Sobral
Like?

I also expect an apology from you for saying that I have multiple accounts

onlooker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,840
Like?
Public voting is a farce

This is yet another proof that public voting on DPR is a farce, and it cannot be fixed.

As I stated ago, the only way you will get a semblance of an honest challenge is to have them judged solely by the host.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads