Top Selling Cameras In the US

Started Mar 10, 2012 | Discussions
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
Top Selling Cameras In the US
Mar 10, 2012

http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/space.php?do=ranking&view=all

That's the overall list. Below is the superzoom category, with the Canon SX230 topping that list.

http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/top-10-sales-ranking-superzoom-cameras-mar-10-2012---1-canon-powershot-sx230-is,30050.html

No Samsungs on either list.

pcheywood
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
Re: Top Selling Cameras In the US
In reply to snake_b, Mar 10, 2012

There is a Samsung at No 24 in first list. No Leicas (they must be really bad then).

Not looked at the second one!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snake_b
Like?
In reply to pcheywood, Mar 10, 2012

My mistake-viewing on my phone and the word search didn't pick it up.

But not a good showing and not a good cam,, considering how much money they're putting into promoting the MV800, for instance.

It would appear at this point that Samsung's Imaging division is bleeding money, which could explain how, on an increasing basis, they seem to be putting fewer and fewer resources in, including actually physically making the cams available that they advertise.

pcheywood wrote:

There is a Samsung at No 24 in first list. No Leicas (they must be really bad then).

Not looked at the second one!

Benjamin Marsh
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?

the compact camera market it vanishing, I think figures in New Zealand are in the order of a 10-20% drop year on year for the past couple of years. The nice thing about investing in the design of a system is that lenses etc. only need to be designed once every 10 or so years and you can keep making and selling that same product again and again, rather than a 6-12 month cycle on the compacts or the bodies for those lenses.

Benjamin Marsh's gear list:Benjamin Marsh's gear list
Samsung NX200 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +1 more
snake_b
Like?
In reply to Benjamin Marsh, Mar 10, 2012

...or in Samsung's case, you don't sell the lenses at all and give people some legitimate fears that if they do invest in the lenses, they might not be able to support them with a body in a few years. Do you really think Samsung's mirrorless system will be around in these years you specified? They'll have moved on by then because they don't understand users of cameras and the camera industry.

It's not like Samsung is winning in the Mirrorless field.

However, I'm glad, for the most part, that cellphones are killing low end cams. The cam makes pushed the MP wars so far, that we almost have zero choice, save for a few expensive ones, with, ironically, Nokia being the ones to end the MP and educate consumers about the MP Wars.

Benjamin Marsh wrote:

the compact camera market it vanishing, I think figures in New Zealand are in the order of a 10-20% drop year on year for the past couple of years. The nice thing about investing in the design of a system is that lenses etc. only need to be designed once every 10 or so years and you can keep making and selling that same product again and again, rather than a 6-12 month cycle on the compacts or the bodies for those lenses.

Veducci
Contributing MemberPosts: 768Gear list
Like?
WOW!! This could be important news........................

.......... to those who need to have their camera buying decision validated .

Anyone who has a Samsung camera and feels let down over the fact that theirs isn't very popular you have a choice. You can deep six it OR you can continue taking pictures and enjoying it until something better at a lower price comes along. And it will.

And this goes for anyone who bought an Olympus, Pentax, Ricoh, Casio, Sigma , or leica. They didn't make that list either.

Veducci's gear list:Veducci's gear list
Fujifilm X-A1
Benjamin Marsh
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?

well I like the overall direction Samsung are taking with the nx cameras. It is just the pace that seems to be a little lacking against the frantic efforts of those around them. I still think it is much too soon to be writing them off though.

Benjamin Marsh's gear list:Benjamin Marsh's gear list
Samsung NX200 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +1 more
snake_b
Like?
In reply to Benjamin Marsh, Mar 10, 2012

People have been saying that for a couple years now, with the underdog thinking, but they've now had a couple years and they are spiraling. Their compact line is nonsense and they're not supporting the higher end very well. The competitors, in contrast, have stepped their games up greatly, so the gap between Samsung and them is even wider.

Unfortunately, people say "don't write them off just yet" and Samsung then goes ahead and disappoints them. Look at how they're gadgetizing the lines before focusing on operational problems and IQ, for one, unavailable lenses, firmware problems, releases, and poor, unknowledgeable customer service around the world.

Benjamin Marsh wrote:

well I like the overall direction Samsung are taking with the nx cameras. It is just the pace that seems to be a little lacking against the frantic efforts of those around them. I still think it is much too soon to be writing them off though.

AndricD
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?

Don't see point of this post except as flame bait.

AndricD's gear list:AndricD's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +4 more
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,400Gear list
Like?
Re: Top Selling Cameras ON AMAZON In the US
In reply to AndricD, Mar 10, 2012

It is misleading as these appear to be top selling cameras on Amazon's US site but the heading implies this is general for the US. We would need to see how Amazon's US sales relate to overall US sales to see the relevance. It could just be that Samsung do not use Amazon as a major outlet which is likely.

AndricD wrote:

-- hide signature --

The more you know the more you know how little you know.

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
snake_b
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Mar 10, 2012

Of course Samsung uses them. That's ludicrous. Simply put, if they aren't selling via Amazon, it's the law of demand dictating things.

Greynerd wrote:

It is misleading as these appear to be top selling cameras on Amazon's US site but the heading implies this is general for the US. We would need to see how Amazon's US sales relate to overall US sales to see the relevance. It could just be that Samsung do not use Amazon as a major outlet which is likely.

AndricD wrote:

-- hide signature --

supeyugin1
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?

This list doesn't make any sense. Unreleased D800 at first place, unreleased Canon 5D mkIII for $2095?! What a nonsense!

snake_b wrote:

That's the overall list. Below is the superzoom category, with the Canon SX230 topping that list.

http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/top-10-sales-ranking-superzoom-cameras-mar-10-2012---1-canon-powershot-sx230-is,30050.html

supeyugin1's gear list:supeyugin1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Samsung NX20 Pentax Q7 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +17 more
snake_b
Like?
In reply to supeyugin1, Mar 10, 2012

If i'm not mistaken, Amazon allows preorders, where available. Independent dealers can also put up sales for the product, so long as they state when the ship date will be, prerelease.

I don't think that's Samsung's problem, though. Even though Samsung has become more of a company that releases cameras in press statements, rather than as tangible products.

supeyugin1 wrote:

This list doesn't make any sense. Unreleased D800 at first place, unreleased Canon 5D mkIII for $2095?! What a nonsense!

snake_b wrote:

Thomas Wieser
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?

snake_b wrote:

I don't think that's Samsung's problem, though. Even though Samsung has become more of a company that releases cameras in press statements, rather than as tangible products.

I wish this would be the case but I think at least in Germany it is different. The lenses and cameras from their press statements are available, NX11, NX200, 16mm, 85mm, 60mm...

But there are not enough press statements to keep the forums quiet. Look at all the threads about runored NX20, NX???,...!

I sometimes think there is a prize available for the most rumored camera and Samsung is the champion. I see a press release for Photokina 2014: "Samsung proudly presents the NX20, the most rumored camera ever"

Thomas

Thomas Wieser's gear list:Thomas Wieser's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +3 more
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,400Gear list
Like?

I did not say they were not selling via Amazon just that they may not be the major outlet. You perpetually repeat things posted imprecisely to stir up passion so you turn not being a major outlet into not using them at all. You seem to react in a more emotional way rather than in any logical manner. You cannot say that Amazon sales are necessarily a parallel to overall sales via all retailers. If you have these numbers do tell.

Samsung is the one camera make that I have never bought via Amazon. They are always available special offer from electronic retailers, supermarkets and camera shops.

snake_b wrote:

Of course Samsung uses them. That's ludicrous. Simply put, if they aren't selling via Amazon, it's the law of demand dictating things.

Greynerd wrote:

AndricD wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
snake_b
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Mar 10, 2012

Yes, I react more emotionally than such and such.

Amazon is a huge sales outlet that reveals trends in the markets, which is why manufacturers from all industries look at them closely and the stats. It's info that wasn't previously available to most without industry espionage.

1. 11,546 in NX200 sales, so it's not on the bottom, so they are selling them.

Greynerd wrote:

I did not say they were not selling via Amazon just that they may not be the major outlet. You perpetually repeat things posted imprecisely to stir up passion so you turn not being a major outlet into not using them at all. You seem to react in a more emotional way rather than in any logical manner. You cannot say that Amazon sales are necessarily a parallel to overall sales via all retailers. If you have these numbers do tell.

Samsung is the one camera make that I have never bought via Amazon. They are always available special offer from electronic retailers, supermarkets and camera shops.

snake_b wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

AndricD wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads