Suggestions please - Best wide angle lens for D5100

Started Mar 10, 2012 | Discussions
AngshuArun
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
Suggestions please - Best wide angle lens for D5100
Mar 10, 2012

Dear Professionals,

I really value your suggestions. So far, I bought 2 lenses based on your suggestions - 'm happy with them. Now I want your valuable suggestions to finalize a wide angle lens; it is to be noted that I'm not looking for a Fish-eye (obvious reason is the high price).

Whatever I have studied on this matter that suggests me to go with a third party lens; Nikon's 10-24 & 12-24 (both DX) lens are too costly.

After spending a bit of time I short listed the following lenses:
1. Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
2. Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
3. Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX
4. Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II

My personal favorite is the 3rd one because of it's maximum aperture of 2.8 and this is constant throughout the focal range. On the other hand the Tamron is light-weight as compared to other three lenses and cheapest amongst them.

Now, which one will you choose for yourself and why? If you already have hands on experience on either of these lenses, then please share. This discussion is open for other lens options also, provided your fantabulous experience.

AngshuArun's gear list:AngshuArun's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wardco
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
Re: Suggestions please - Best wide angle lens for D5100
In reply to AngshuArun, Mar 10, 2012

Based on my limited pocketbook, manufacturer reputation and several reviews, I'm planning to buy the Tamron 10-24 mm lens.
--
Pittsburgh pixelator

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
johnparas11zenfoliodotcom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,206Gear list
Like?
In reply to wardco, Mar 10, 2012

I have the sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and not the f3.5... I find that it is too fat..when handling...The barrel that is...

If i get the chance, i will buy a wide zoom lens that has builtin motor so it will af on my entry level nikon body... And i will choose the one tha is less bulky, and less in length barrel, (not the focal length...)

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list:johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 +6 more
Boiga
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?

I have the Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX
It is super sharp:

gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 753Gear list
Like?

Why not consider the Sigma 8-16mm?

It is not a fisheye, and it gives you the FF equivalent of a 12-24mm lens. Those extra 3mm at the wide end are huge.

It's not a fix aperture, but having a fast lens in WA isn't as critical as it is on the tele end.

My copy is super sharp as well.

So, unless you absolutely need the 2.8, then do look at the 8-16.

AngshuArun wrote:

Dear Professionals,

I really value your suggestions. So far, I bought 2 lenses based on your suggestions - 'm happy with them. Now I want your valuable suggestions to finalize a wide angle lens; it is to be noted that I'm not looking for a Fish-eye (obvious reason is the high price).

Whatever I have studied on this matter that suggests me to go with a third party lens; Nikon's 10-24 & 12-24 (both DX) lens are too costly.

After spending a bit of time I short listed the following lenses:
1. Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
2. Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
3. Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX
4. Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II

My personal favorite is the 3rd one because of it's maximum aperture of 2.8 and this is constant throughout the focal range. On the other hand the Tamron is light-weight as compared to other three lenses and cheapest amongst them.

Now, which one will you choose for yourself and why? If you already have hands on experience on either of these lenses, then please share. This discussion is open for other lens options also, provided your fantabulous experience.

gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
PRW_Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 667
Like?
You realize the Tokina 11-16/2.8 won't AF on your 5100? (NT)
Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,481
Like?
Re: You realize the Tokina 11-16/2.8 won't AF on your 5100? <- old version
In reply to PRW_Photo, Mar 10, 2012

PRW_Photo wrote:

" You realize the Tokina 11-16/2.8 won't AF on your 5100?"

The new version announced Jan. 2012 will AF on all bodies:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/27/Tokina_AT-X_116_Pro_DX_II

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

AngshuArun
Like?
In reply to PRW_Photo, Mar 10, 2012

Surely the Tokina 11-16 will not auto-focus in D5100???
Then its really sad.

Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
AngshuArun
Like?
In reply to Patco, Mar 10, 2012

Wow!... that a great news :). Thanks.

AngshuArun
Like?
In reply to gatorowl, Mar 10, 2012

I think the maximum aperture of 4.5 is really at the lower end. If it had atleast 3.5 then I would have surely considered it. By the way, can you please share some of your snaps by Sigma 8-16.

Patco
Like?
In reply to johnparas11zenfoliodotcom, Mar 10, 2012

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom wrote:

I have the sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and not the f3.5... I find that it is too fat..when handling...The barrel that is...

If i get the chance, i will buy a wide zoom lens that has builtin motor so it will af on my entry level nikon body... And i will choose the one tha is less bulky, and less in length barrel, (not the focal length...)

The Sigma 10-20mm you mention has a built-in focus motor, and will AF on all Nikon bodies.
I don't know if you will find any that are noticeably less bulky.

-- hide signature --

Patco

ItsaChris
Contributing MemberPosts: 575
Like?

I own the 12-24mm vI and have worked with the nikon 12-24 (rented b4 the tokina came out.) and have used an older version of the sigma (3.5-5.6 i think)

No question I would get one of the tokinas, and because your camera will not focus

with the tokina 12-24mm vI or 11-16mm I would get the 12-24mm f4 vII. Tokina is built far better than the sigma and tamron.

the Tokina is also sharp across the full zoom range (sigma @ 10mm is not excellent). I dont know what other lens you have but the 77mm filter help sell me on it as I was using the 70-200 vI and 28-70mm nikkors at the time (both 77mm)

good luck

astwood1285
Senior MemberPosts: 1,113
Like?
Tamron 10 - 24

I own the Tokina 12 - 24 and have used the Tamron 10 - 24 a number of times. The Tokina probably has the better build but both are optically similar. The Tamron has less barrel distortion and is less prone to flair. If I was buying a DX wideangle again I'd get the Tamron.
--
albion

Patco
Like?
In reply to ItsaChris, Mar 10, 2012

ItsaChris wrote:

No question I would get one of the tokinas, and because your camera will not focus
with the tokina 12-24mm vI or 11-16mm

"The AT-X 116 PRO DX II adds a 'Silent Drive-Module' (SD-M) focus motor that enables it to autofocus on all Nikon SLRs"

-- hide signature --

Patco

PRW_Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 667
Like?
In reply to Patco, Mar 10, 2012

Patco wrote:

PRW_Photo wrote:

" You realize the Tokina 11-16/2.8 won't AF on your 5100?"

The new version announced Jan. 2012 will AF on all bodies:

-- hide signature --

Patco

OK, thanks for the update. My statement was based on what is currently available from B&H and Adorama. The OP will need to make sure he gets the correct version.

Paul Wossidlo
http://www.PaulRichardWossidlo.com

Giulio Cengarle
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?

Well, you're getting a lot of different preferences here, so I'll drop mine too; I suggest the Tokina 12-24, for the following reasons:

• good optical quality and sharpness (but do use the hood and stay around f/8 if you do landscape!)

• excellent build quality

• Very useful zoom range; probably you'll use it either at 12 or at 24, but at least you don't need to switch to another lens as you would with the 11-16

• Reasonable price

I have one and I'm happy with it! I would only replace if I had a sharp and LIGHT prime

_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,209
Like?
In reply to AngshuArun, Mar 11, 2012

AngshuArun wrote:

... it is to be noted that I'm not looking for a Fish-eye (obvious reason is the high price).

The Samyang 8mm fisheye is not so expensive and is quite well regarded, though is not AF (but the newer versions do metering). Unfortunately not as small and light and fast-aperture as the Nikkor 10.5, but has a nicer projection (near stereographic).

The more obvious reason would be shooting for example mainly architecture and not liking the fisheye projection. But fisheyes and rectilinear UWA lenses may be just as problematic regarding the composition. With rectilinears, you may find the sides and corners overly expanded, and circular things such as heads in the corners weirdly distorted (when viewing the image from a normal viewing distance).

Software conversion from fisheye to rectilinear (or vice versa) is possible but there is a considerable loss of quality. However one may convert from fisheye to a cylindrical or some other projections which straighten only vertical lines - often looks better and does not require as much stretching and cause as much quality loss - check the Fisheye Hemi plugin samples. The free Hugin panorama software is also interesting because it allows all sorts of projection conversions - allows also converting rectilinear images to a number of other projections.

ItsaChris
Contributing MemberPosts: 575
Like?
In reply to Patco, Mar 12, 2012

ahh never knew that came out.

well then depending on the lens you already own the 11-16 might be the better choice.

Patco
Like?
In reply to ItsaChris, Mar 12, 2012

ItsaChris wrote:

ahh never knew that came out.

It's not out yet, but the announcement on DPR said it should be available "around April".

well then depending on the lens you already own the 11-16 might be the better choice.

-- hide signature --

Patco

steppenwolfer
Contributing MemberPosts: 785Gear list
Like?
Tokina 12-24
In reply to AngshuArun, Mar 12, 2012

I used to own Tokina 11-16. It is excellent lens, but I disliked its range so much that I replaced it with Tokina 12-24.

11-16 was too wide for me at 16 mm, so i had to change lenses all the time. With 12-24, I have to change lenses less.
Optically 11-16 is superiour lens, but (for me) not so versatile.

Good luck with your choice.

steppenwolfer's gear list:steppenwolfer's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads