Q about 50mm/85mm on crop and FF bodies

Started Mar 9, 2012 | Discussions
maboleth
Contributing MemberPosts: 623Gear list
Like?
Q about 50mm/85mm on crop and FF bodies
Mar 9, 2012

I've been shooting with 7D and 50mm f1.4 for quite some time. I love this combo. It's basically a 80mm lens on a cropped sensor. Beautiful for portraits and closeups.

I'll probably switch to 5dmk2 in near future. So I thought about a good lens choice. Obviously, 85mm f1.8 comes to mind.

However, I don't know will I get the same "tightness" in closeup shots, because the closest focusing of 85mm is 0.8 metres, while 50mm is 0.45m.

Sometimes I really like to go closer and closer... many detail shots and baby portraits I do at approx. 0.5 - 0.6m from camera. Should I concerned on a FF with 85mm lens?

Thanks.
--
http://ivframes.com -- my official site
http://facebook.com/ivframes -- become a fan
http://travelingnome.ivframes.com -- bits of this and that

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,729
Like?
Re: Q about 50mm/85mm on crop and FF bodies
In reply to maboleth, Mar 9, 2012

maboleth wrote:

I've been shooting with 7D and 50mm f1.4 for quite some time. I love this combo. It's basically a 80mm lens on a cropped sensor. Beautiful for portraits and closeups.

I'll probably switch to 5dmk2 in near future. So I thought about a good lens choice. Obviously, 85mm f1.8 comes to mind.

However, I don't know will I get the same "tightness" in closeup shots, because the closest focusing of 85mm is 0.8 metres, while 50mm is 0.45m.

Sometimes I really like to go closer and closer... many detail shots and baby portraits I do at approx. 0.5 - 0.6m from camera. Should I concerned on a FF with 85mm lens?

If you're using the 50 in that way, then yes.

The best way to compare how the lenses fill the frame on their respective bodies is to take the maximum magnification from the specs on the Canon web site, and multiply by the crop factor:

50/1.4 on 1.6x crop: 0.15 x 1.6 = 0.24

85/1.8 on full frame: 0.13 x 1.0 = 0.13

So the 50 on the crop camera gets almost twice as tight as the 85 on full frame. The limited close focusing is a definite shortcoming of the 85/1.8.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,094
Like?
Re: Q about 50mm/85mm on crop and FF bodies
In reply to maboleth, Mar 10, 2012

On a so-called full frame camera, a 100mm f2.8 Canon macro is a great head and shoulders, and other subjects too, choice.

New model or old model.

If the price is too steep, the 85 1.8 is still good; just crop the file a bit.

BAK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
maboleth
Contributing MemberPosts: 623Gear list
Like?
Re: Q about 50mm/85mm on crop and FF bodies
In reply to Steve Balcombe, Mar 10, 2012

Thanks!

Just as I thought...
BAK said about 100 macro lenses. That could be an option. What do you think?

Steve Balcombe wrote:

maboleth wrote:

I've been shooting with 7D and 50mm f1.4 for quite some time. I love this combo. It's basically a 80mm lens on a cropped sensor. Beautiful for portraits and closeups.

I'll probably switch to 5dmk2 in near future. So I thought about a good lens choice. Obviously, 85mm f1.8 comes to mind.

However, I don't know will I get the same "tightness" in closeup shots, because the closest focusing of 85mm is 0.8 metres, while 50mm is 0.45m.

Sometimes I really like to go closer and closer... many detail shots and baby portraits I do at approx. 0.5 - 0.6m from camera. Should I concerned on a FF with 85mm lens?

If you're using the 50 in that way, then yes.

The best way to compare how the lenses fill the frame on their respective bodies is to take the maximum magnification from the specs on the Canon web site, and multiply by the crop factor:

50/1.4 on 1.6x crop: 0.15 x 1.6 = 0.24

85/1.8 on full frame: 0.13 x 1.0 = 0.13

So the 50 on the crop camera gets almost twice as tight as the 85 on full frame. The limited close focusing is a definite shortcoming of the 85/1.8.

-- hide signature --

http://ivframes.com -- my official site
http://facebook.com/ivframes -- become a fan
http://travelingnome.ivframes.com -- bits of this and that

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,729
Like?
Re: Q about 50mm/85mm on crop and FF bodies
In reply to maboleth, Mar 10, 2012

maboleth wrote:

Thanks!

Just as I thought...
BAK said about 100 macro lenses. That could be an option. What do you think?

I used to use my old 100 macro (the original non-USM 1990-ish model) as an occasional portrait lens on my film SLR. I would say it was pretty good - focal length was ideal and f/2.8 gives enough DoF control and background blur on full frame.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
filmluvr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,093
Like?
On alternative...
In reply to maboleth, Mar 10, 2012

You might consider the 100mm f/2 with a 12mm Canon extender. Infinity focus isn't necessary for portraiture, and I have always found the 100mm FL to be the most useful for full frame.

-- hide signature --

http://jackandkelly.zenfolio.com/

Canon 5D, 17-40mm, 70-300mm IS USM, 50mm f/1.8 II, 100mm macro, 28-135mm, 28mm f/2.0 Kiron, 135mm f/2.8 Rikenon, 200mm f/3.5 Komuranon, 500mm f/7.0 Komuranon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads