New A850 and MINOLTA 85/1.4, some portraits. Still learning.

Started Mar 9, 2012 | Discussions
ZeevK
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
New A850 and MINOLTA 85/1.4, some portraits. Still learning.
Mar 9, 2012

Although I have the A850 for several month now, I still did not have an opportunity to really learn and become "friendly" with the camera. A few weeks ago I also got (from Dyxum member) a MINOLTA 85/1.4 whch I also only had a chance to breafly test (to confirm lens is in working condition).

Today after carefully adjusting the Focus Micro Adjust I took opportunity of my daughter visit - to do some more seriouse portraiting work. So here is Shani taken with my new toys. CC is welcome

Shot in RAW, A-mode, Auto-ISO limited to 1600, developed in IDC with minor adjustments.

-- hide signature --
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fjbyrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,201
Like?
Very nice.
In reply to ZeevK, Mar 9, 2012

I'm no expert but I would be happy with those results. Well done.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wrathoftheolives
Regular MemberPosts: 160
Like?
Re: New A850 and MINOLTA 85/1.4, some portraits. Still learning.

The second is a good standard beauty shot. Your focus is spot on the eyes and the blur from the f/1.4 is very appealing. Some may prefer f/5.6 to have both eyes in focus, but I like the f/1.4 shots.

I'll criticize the one that I really liked, the second one. You can crop tighter. There's no point in having all that space above her head. Additionally, since there are a lot of fly hairs, cropping would help remove some of that distraction. Unfortunately, her roots are showing. B&W may be a better option. Sticking with color, a gold reflector would have complemented her look and make her pop more.

Other than those nitpicks, good job.

jl_smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,405Gear list
Like?

Very pretty daughter and nice shots of course. I agree with 2nd shot - tighter crop is warranted!

Well done!

-- hide signature --
 jl_smith's gear list:jl_smith's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
Kriekira
Senior MemberPosts: 2,208Gear list
Like?

What is your goal?

Be specific.

Kriekira's gear list:Kriekira's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
ZeevK
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
In reply to Kriekira, Mar 9, 2012

My goal is to get critique / comments / sugestion regarding these images in particular and any hints on using this lens / camera combination for portrait photography.

Kriekira wrote:

What is your goal?

Be specific.

-- hide signature --
Tommy tek
Regular MemberPosts: 372
Like?
Love #3 & #5

Your daughter is a lovely woman! The roots of her hair being a different color is unfortunate. They did not show up in the B&W photo. I would love to see the color versions in B&W. In your first image there are two highlights in the eye that is in focus and one of them is right next to the eyelid. I find that very distracting. I am one of the viewers that would like to see both eyes in focus, that is one reason I like the last three photos better than the first two. There is something about the 4th photo that doesn't make it quite as attractive to me as photos #3 and #5. I think it is the fall off of the depth of field. The lower part of her face is getting soft and the hair that is lower than her face becomes a blurry mess, while the upper portion of her face and head are sharp.She looks comfortable and natural in these poses, that is a plus. Kudos to you for not over processing her beautiful skin. I love the freckles and laugh lines at her eyes. I see way too many portraits now days that are processed to the point, the models look like mannequins with really sharp eyes. I am not a professional, so keep that in mind when weighing opinions.

Kriekira
Senior MemberPosts: 2,208Gear list
Like?

My suggestion is that you decide what you are trying to communicate -- what you want your pictures to say -- and then figure out how to use your camera (and lenses) to produce pictures that deliver that.

Without knowing your intent, there is no way to advise you on how to acheive it.

I like #1. That I like it should be pleasing to you, the photographer who created and published it, but a stranger's regard is pretty soft soil on which to lay stepping-stones.

ZeevK wrote:

My goal is to get critique / comments / sugestion regarding these images in particular and any hints on using this lens / camera combination for portrait photography.

Kriekira wrote:

What is your goal?

Be specific.

-- hide signature --
 Kriekira's gear list:Kriekira's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
sonyphotobug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084
Like?
Love A850 & lens (daughter beautiful/confident)

Well done.

I have had the A850 for about 8 months now and love it.

Took so time to learn the camera and lens, put time well spent.

You captured you daughter showing off her beauty and her confidence.

-- hide signature --

Beauty of the picture is in the eye of the beholder

HopeSpringsEternal
Regular MemberPosts: 484Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wrathoftheolives, Mar 9, 2012

I agree. I liked #2 the most and agree with the cropping comment. However I think that is very fine in color and would not prefer a black and white version.

Wrathoftheolives wrote:

The second is a good standard beauty shot. Your focus is spot on the eyes and the blur from the f/1.4 is very appealing. Some may prefer f/5.6 to have both eyes in focus, but I like the f/1.4 shots.

I'll criticize the one that I really liked, the second one. You can crop tighter. There's no point in having all that space above her head. Additionally, since there are a lot of fly hairs, cropping would help remove some of that distraction. Unfortunately, her roots are showing. B&W may be a better option. Sticking with color, a gold reflector would have complemented her look and make her pop more.

Other than those nitpicks, good job.

Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,584
Like?

Hi,

portraiting your daughter I think you did an excellent job.

Perhaps some others are comparing your shots with general beauty / fashion photography like our friend Ilya from Russia has shown here for several times with their perfection considering lighting but also model preparation (hair, make up etc.). I for my part see those photos in another category as yours which show a beautiful young lady as she is - very natural and not "artsy".
--
Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,020Gear list
Like?
Very nice

The 85/1.4 (G or CZ), the 35/1.4 G and the 200/2.8 G are what I think of as A-mount perfection.

Your images are examples of fantastic execution!

Cheers.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads