Next buy for Weddings??

Started Mar 8, 2012 | Discussions
YordanRhapsody
Regular MemberPosts: 261
Like?
Next buy for Weddings??
Mar 8, 2012

Hi everybody

I'm now working with 1D mark III and 7D (and a 20D for backup...)

I have Canon 17-40, tokina 12-24, canon 50 1.4, Canon 135 f2, Canon 24-105

I'm looking for something new for the next wedding season

the best results are those from the 135f2 but I think it's a little too long inside bride's homes.

So, help me out looking for a new solution:

1. 85 1.2

++++ the best of the best for portraits. Best bokeh and WOW effect
-------- it's a fixed lens, sometimes a zoom should be more suitable

2. 70-200 2.8 IS

++++ great for indoor sport, best portrait zoom
-------- not great like 85 1.2 and 135 f2 (IMHO)

3. wait next season for 5d3

++++ every lens I have will live another life with FF 1.3x

-- hide signature --

costs more than I would be willing to spend now, so I need to wait some months and go ahead (for now) with the actual equipment

Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,868Gear list
Like?
Re: Next buy for Weddings??
In reply to YordanRhapsody, Mar 8, 2012

You don't need any more lenses.

With the money you have how about a secondhand 1Dsii ?

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YordanRhapsody
Like?
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Mar 8, 2012

I can find a good used 1dsmkII for arount 1000-1200€, great camera but with "poor" high iso performances

then I can buy an used 5dmkII for the same price, great images but "poor" AF

for around 2500-2700€ I can buy 1dsmkIII, great high ISO and great AF, but for a little more I can put my hands on the new 5d3 which is bettere in many ways...

so... I don't think I'm going to buy 1dsII, the only other bodies that I want are 5d3 or 1dX

For now I'm thinking about a good fisheye, I don't have one and sometimes I miss the "strangest shot" in my services...

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,868Gear list
Like?

YordanRhapsody wrote:

I can find a good used 1dsmkII for arount 1000-1200€, great camera but with "poor" high iso performances

Not really. 1600 iso is really sharp slightly noisy and if you want to clean it up it's great.

all of these 1600 iso WITHOUT noise reduction.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +25 more
amobi
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?

What you need is a wedding camera. 1DsII, 5DII or 5DIII.

YordanRhapsody wrote:

then I can buy an used 5dmkII for the same price, great images but "poor" AF

for around 2500-2700€ I can buy 1dsmkIII, great high ISO and great AF, but for a little more I can put my hands on the new 5d3 which is bettere in many ways...

so... I don't think I'm going to buy 1dsII, the only other bodies that I want are 5d3 or 1dX

For now I'm thinking about a good fisheye, I don't have one and sometimes I miss the "strangest shot" in my services...

YordanRhapsody
Like?
In reply to amobi, Mar 8, 2012

Oooook, so I need to buy a 5d3 and go ahead with my equipment just a little more...

amobi
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?
In reply to YordanRhapsody, Mar 9, 2012

I don't know how many weddings you shoot in a year but getting 5DII or 5DIII will make shooting much much easier.

All your lenses will shine with FF. Once you add 5DII or 5DIII you will wonder why it took you so long.

YordanRhapsody wrote:

Oooook, so I need to buy a 5d3 and go ahead with my equipment just a little more...

Bjorn74
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
In reply to YordanRhapsody, Mar 9, 2012

The 70-200/2.8 is perfect wedding lens. Done some weddings myself with 1Dmkiii and 70-200/2.8. Zoom is very valuable and will get more hits then a prime like 135/2.

You don't need IS. Get the more affordable 70-200/2.8

deleted23
Contributing MemberPosts: 615
Like?
In reply to YordanRhapsody, Mar 10, 2012

I used to own the 135 F2L and agree that its a little long especially for indoors.

I think the longer telephotos (70-200/135 etc) are really more useful for the ceremony where you may have to keep your distance. By far my most used lens was for weddings is the 24-70. The 24-70/70-200 combination is hard to beat for weddings as it gives you a lot of flexibility and whilst maybe not quite as good as primes its very very close. If you want to put money into lens you will use the most then i reckon focal lengths

Matt Brennan
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
In reply to deleted23, Mar 10, 2012

David McHarg wrote:

Two bodies, one with a zoom and one with a fast prime really is a combo thats hard to beat.

That sounds good to me. How about a 50 L and a 70-200 IS LII.

I think it is nice to have a point and shoot lens like the 50 L to catch the highly spontaneous events that can be missed with the added seconds of fidgeting with a zoom.

hoousi
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
In reply to Matt Brennan, Mar 10, 2012

Matt Brennan wrote:

David McHarg wrote:

Two bodies, one with a zoom and one with a fast prime really is a combo thats hard to beat.

That sounds good to me. How about a 50 L and a 70-200 IS LII.

I think it is nice to have a point and shoot lens like the 50 L to catch the highly spontaneous events that can be missed with the added seconds of fidgeting with a zoom.

Wouldn't a 24 or 35L instead of the 50 be more practical to get some more wide end while being fast if needed?
--
My little gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24309512@N06/

hoousi's gear list:hoousi's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
Matt Brennan
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
In reply to hoousi, Mar 12, 2012

hoousi wrote:

Wouldn't a 24 or 35L instead of the 50 be more practical to get some more wide end while being fast if needed?

Indeed. Any one of the three would be perfect. It would come down to familiarity/comfort with a focal length, and, perhaps, how much you want to capture in an image (overall information).

healer81
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
In reply to YordanRhapsody, Mar 12, 2012

I would wait next season for a 5D MIII or you can get a 5d MII once the MIII comes out

Full frame would be the eventual way to go anyway.

Later on you can get the 24L and use it with your 50 1.4 and youll be set.

jackpro
Regular MemberPosts: 368Gear list
Like?
In reply to healer81, Mar 12, 2012

I have 2x 5DII, 85L II & 35L II. For weddings my 2 primes are great. If you can take your time then the 35L & 85LII is very good.

I am keen on the new 24-70 II & 70-200 II. For event photography & general commercial work I wish I had the zooms.

The 24L II works well on the crop but is too wide for FF.

The 24-105L looks like the perfect wedding lens on a 5DII great budget kit, although the colours can't match the 35L & 85LII.

This was shot mostly with 5DII & 85L II macro with 25 ext adapter, I also used a 7D with 24LII.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dves/collections/72157625471062530/

I now have a second 5DII & a 35L & 2x 580EXII.

jackpro's gear list:jackpro's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +5 more
YordanRhapsody
Like?
In reply to jackpro, Mar 15, 2012

Now that I have clear ideas, I need a FF body and a wide lens with a big aperture.

If I buy a 5d3 and canon 28 1.8 (I can't afford 24L or 35L at the moment)?

In this way I can put the canon 28 on the 5d3 when I need a fast wide, during the ceremony I can use 1d3+28/50/135 and 5d3 with 24-105

good idea?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads