One HDR from the canyon and a sunset...

Started Mar 8, 2012 | Discussions
OdzBodkinz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,425
Like?
One HDR from the canyon and a sunset...
Mar 8, 2012

Bracketed 7 exposures +-1 EV apart for this shot at Hopi Point on the South rim of the Grand Canyon while I waited for the Sun to do this....

Two extremes of my 14-45 and 45-175mm travel kit.

-- hide signature --

Money can't buy happiness....It has to be converted into photo equipment first.

MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,479Gear list
Like?
Re: One HDR from the canyon and a sunset...
In reply to OdzBodkinz, Mar 8, 2012

They look great...though the snow is a little distracting.
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jaylive
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?
In reply to MAubrey, Mar 8, 2012

great pic. thank you.

i must say, that "distracting" comment is one of the most ridiculous things i have read on this board.... and that is saying quite a bit.

jaylive's gear list:jaylive's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,479Gear list
Like?
In reply to jaylive, Mar 8, 2012

Uhm...right...okay...sure...

The bright white pulls my attention from the center of the picture and I find myself looking at the lower corner instead of the vista. I'm sorry that you find that ridiculous...I'm just being honest...I still like the picture. It's gorgeous.

jaylive wrote:

great pic. thank you.

i must say, that "distracting" comment is one of the most ridiculous things i have read on this board.... and that is saying quite a bit.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,634
Like?

What's not to like?

Superb treatment.

fotophool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7131002@N05/

453C
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?

A fine pair! That's the kind of HDR I like.
I hope you spent at least a few minutes on Bright Angel Trail.
--
http://453c.smugmug.com/

453C's gear list:453C's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
willwill
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
love the first one, you should have it printed out and hang on the wall. nt

love the first one, you should have it printed out and hang on the wall. nt

IcyVeins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
I think you totaly blew the first one

This is exactly the kind of image that gives HDR a bad name. It's like you took a perfectly good landscape and made it completely flat and uninteresting just for the sake of doing HDR. The sky is way too dark and the image as a whole is painfully devoid of contrast. There is also an obvious blue color cast. Seven exposures was six too many. When I opened it in ACR, two thirds of the histogram was completely empty. I made a valiant attempt to rescue it from the low resolution image you posted, this is what the image should have looked like:

IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
pdelux
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
Re: I think you totaly blew the first one
In reply to IcyVeins, Mar 8, 2012

While yours may have more "DR" and contrast, and is a nice pic, To be honest I think the OP's image looks much better and more natural, but then I just dont like the "HDR" look i guess, so personal taste.

pdelux's gear list:pdelux's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +3 more
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,747Gear list
Like?
In reply to MAubrey, Mar 8, 2012

MAubrey wrote:

The bright white pulls my attention from the center of the picture and I find myself looking at the lower corner instead of the vista.

You are right. The picture would be strengthened by de-emphasizing the lower left (better left in shadow to compliment the rest of the composition)

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,163
Like?

Totally agree, this image is a lot better. The black clouds in the original one and the typical HDR tonal distortions were rather unpleasant. HDR images only look good when nobody can notice it's an HDR.

IcyVeins wrote:

This is exactly the kind of image that gives HDR a bad name. It's like you took a perfectly good landscape and made it completely flat and uninteresting just for the sake of doing HDR. The sky is way too dark and the image as a whole is painfully devoid of contrast. There is also an obvious blue color cast. Seven exposures was six too many. When I opened it in ACR, two thirds of the histogram was completely empty. I made a valiant attempt to rescue it from the low resolution image you posted, this is what the image should have looked like:

dp88
Regular MemberPosts: 330
Like?

Icyveins,

The op's may be a bit flat, but your's is too harsh. You're also acting like a douche. You criticism may have been constructive (and opinionated, but thats fine), but you worded it in the douchiest way possible.

Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
Totally agree.
In reply to dp88, Mar 8, 2012

Taking someone's jpeg and doing a hack job to boost your own ego is pretty low.

Cheers

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Xellz
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?

Your version looks more natural actually, a bit too strongly pushed for my taste, but still. When sky is same brightness or even less bright than landscape itself feels really weird. Diffused reflection can't be brighter or same as source of light, right?

IcyVeins wrote:

OdzBodkinz
Like?

That isn't how I wanted it to look.
--

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,339
Like?
Re: I think you totaly knocked out the first one!!!! Breathtaking capture...

OdzBodkinz wrote:

That isn't how I wanted it to look.

Totally agree with your rendition of what the Grand Canyon actually looks like...the OP's is much better in my eyes and the second PP by IcyVeins is terrible looking to me?...But what do I know....

Been to the Grand Canyon and believe me the first photo is as real as it gets...

The second by IcyVeins anyone can tell is a total mock up...IF you have been to the Grand Canyon previously...

00r101
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
I would be interested in seeing the +0 exposure file by itself
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 8, 2012

OdzBodkinz - Could you post that single exposure as well?

453C
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chez Wimpy, Mar 8, 2012

Chez Wimpy wrote:

MAubrey wrote:

The bright white pulls my attention from the center of the picture and I find myself looking at the lower corner instead of the vista.

You are right. The picture would be strengthened by de-emphasizing the lower left (better left in shadow to compliment the rest of the composition)

Maybe so, but the OP obviously wanted to capture the point in the foreground, and it really does snow there. Even in shadow, the snow is pretty bright against the rock. My guess is he can't return to Grand Canyon on a whim, when the weather is more agreeable for snow-free shooting. I see nothing wrong with the photo.
--
http://453c.smugmug.com/

453C's gear list:453C's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,667Gear list
Like?

The original is lovely and much better than the posted edit.

Two quibbles:

I agree that the snow distracting, as the eye is naturally drawn to the brightest part of the picture. I would have either cropped the left or darkened the snow. Given the cloud cover (especially the dark undersides), the lower left could easily be in shadow.

I tend (perhaps unfairly) to associate skies that have both visible blue and dark clouds with HDR. Even Trey Ratcliff says "If you are going to make some nice HDR “dark clouds,” make sure there is no blue sky also in the scene."
--
http://fruminousbandersnatch.blogspot.com/

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +1 more
OdzBodkinz
Like?
Re: I would be interested in seeing the +0 exposure file by itself
In reply to 00r101, Mar 8, 2012

Yes. Will post this evening when I get home.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads