Who else wishes the 1D X and 5D III have iPad control/view?

Started Mar 7, 2012 | Discussions
Andy617
Regular MemberPosts: 196
Like?
Re: Transformer Prime
In reply to Robert Anderson, Mar 12, 2012

can you pls elaborate....so you have an Asus tablet conntected directly to which camera/ via what connection, using what software and what is your response time for the shot to appear on your tablet? Also, when you say 'live view' do you mean for video recording or still shots? If video, thats a known capability with any tablet but instant still shots on a tablet is still the missing grail....

Robert Anderson wrote:

I can use my Transformer Prime (wired) with my Canon DSLR's using the inexpensive DSLR Controller app. With this setup I can see the live view of the camera, adjust settings and shoot from the tablet. The images are transfrerred to the tablet for viewing.

I also have used an EyeFi SD card in an adapter with my Canon bodies to send images wirelessly to the tablet.
Your real problem is Apple and their closed system.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
In reply to Andy617, Mar 12, 2012

I have the tablet connected by USB to either my 7D or 5D mark II. The software is a "DSLR controller" app which was about $8. The Tarnsformer Prime tablet has an optional USB adapter and also has USB available with the keyboard dock which I also have. It takes a few seconds for each image to appear on the screen after shooting. It works with stills as well as video. I have not played with the video much.

Andy617 wrote:

can you pls elaborate....so you have an Asus tablet conntected directly to which camera/ via what connection, using what software and what is your response time for the shot to appear on your tablet? Also, when you say 'live view' do you mean for video recording or still shots? If video, thats a known capability with any tablet but instant still shots on a tablet is still the missing grail....

Robert Anderson wrote:

I can use my Transformer Prime (wired) with my Canon DSLR's using the inexpensive DSLR Controller app. With this setup I can see the live view of the camera, adjust settings and shoot from the tablet. The images are transfrerred to the tablet for viewing.

I also have used an EyeFi SD card in an adapter with my Canon bodies to send images wirelessly to the tablet.

bgbs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,864
Like?
It certainly would be nice
In reply to zerozeronine, Mar 12, 2012

especially when we know that the iPad is a retina display.

Andy617
Like?
In reply to Robert Anderson, Mar 12, 2012

wow- very interesting...you have a solution for Android essentially what I wanted for iOS... one tickie for Android!...thx much for the info

Robert Anderson wrote:

I have the tablet connected by USB to either my 7D or 5D mark II. The software is a "DSLR controller" app which was about $8. The Tarnsformer Prime tablet has an optional USB adapter and also has USB available with the keyboard dock which I also have. It takes a few seconds for each image to appear on the screen after shooting. It works with stills as well as video. I have not played with the video much.

Andy617 wrote:

Robert Anderson wrote:

JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,551Gear list
Like?

Ive just bought the same, you can use it with Helicon focus too for taking focus stack or HDR images (and that's currently free on Android - but it won't be forever).

That's going to be my view camera screen in the field now!

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +11 more
Andy617
Like?
In reply to JamieTux, Mar 12, 2012

exactly what I've been seeking.... the question becomes two-fold....if only android works now..do all android tablets work...and if so, guess I need to find the cheapest new/used one and make the call....

JamieTux wrote:

Ive just bought the same, you can use it with Helicon focus too for taking focus stack or HDR images (and that's currently free on Android - but it won't be forever).

That's going to be my view camera screen in the field now!

JamieTux
Like?

It looked like honeycomb only (I've done a lot of homework this weekend) and you need to make sure you can attach usb too. If you're not worried about it looking too slick the archos range seem to have it all.

Otherwise look for last years top ones, Ionica a500, zoom, thrive, transformer, etc. I wanted something that has a bit of wow factor for displaying images to clients too and the fact that it comes with a full keyboard 18hour battery and you can get tools for SQL dev is all good icing for me!

I also have a first gen Samsung Tab that doesn't work for camera control, but the new one is a massive step forward.
--
James
http://photos.jamestux.com
http://photos.flickr.com/jamestux
http://blog.jamestux.com

Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +11 more
zerozeronine
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?
WFT-E6A is the solution we're looking for?
In reply to zerozeronine, Mar 13, 2012

Seems like the WFT-E6A allows the 1D X to become a web server so that your iPhone or iPad can "see" and control the 1D X. The 5D III has a corresponding wifi adapter also.

Sounds like this capability was around with the 1D IV, so the HTTP feature for the D4 isn't completely new.

Granted, this example is only for the C300, but it seems like you can't point at a location for focus, and the screen updates are limited to 1 FPS. That, along with the battery drain on the camera, may make this not as useful as I had hoped:

http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2012/02/26/testing-the-canon-wft-e6-wi-fi-dongle-with-the-c300/

Does anyone know if this will be true for the 1D X? Can you really not point and focus? Are screen updates really that slow?

Kaz

PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,672
Like?
In reply to Robert Anderson, Mar 13, 2012

Robert Anderson wrote:

No, it can't be.

Haven't you heard about the "neatness" and the engraving?

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

BooRadley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,204
Like?
Just curious if we've figured out a way...
In reply to PhotoKhan, Mar 15, 2012

My Ipad 3 is about to arrive and I'm just wondering if there is a definitive answer as to how or if it is possible to snap a photo and have it appear moments later on the Ipad. That would be great for PJ and event photography...well, heck, for just about any type of photography.

No, don't want a hardwire, I want the images to magically fly through the air and pop up to the delight of those around me.

JamieTux
Like?
Re: Just curious if we've figured out a way...
In reply to BooRadley, Mar 15, 2012

Yes, use the wft module or an eyefi card and adapter with an app on the iPad
--
James
http://photos.jamestux.com
http://photos.flickr.com/jamestux
http://blog.jamestux.com

Andy617
Like?
Re: Just curious if we've figured out a way...
In reply to BooRadley, Mar 17, 2012

Boo I'm afraid ther is not yet a solution for iPad but apparently for android honeycomb. That said, the definition of "in a moments notice" is the key. If u want reliability and speed as fast as it appears on your LCD which I do, it either connecting an HDMI LCD display or TV what I would refer to as tethering. I've seen too much liberal use of that word to refer to wireless connectivity as well but tethering is tethering and wireless is wireless. Anyway, only other poss way is eyefi or canon wireless trans but all indications are that this is slower but works. Eyefi being cheapest but least reliable. 5dIII test will prove to be interesting when mine arrives. Hope that was a bit helpful

Calvinator5d3
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Who else wishes the 1D X and 5D III have iPad control/view?
In reply to zerozeronine, 4 months ago

I can't believe this isn't being done this very minute. I'd pay a lot to have live view on my iPad; IT'S WHY I BOUGHT THE DAMNED THING IN THE FIRST PLACE (bad info on available apps)

C'mon programmers out there - HALP!

KatManDEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,511
Like?
In reply to zerozeronine, 4 months ago

No Apple crap for me. Complete control of the camera with Android. Dirt cheap.

Don't listen to the Apple fanboys about display specs. Do your homework and know the facts.

bigfatron
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?
In reply to Calvinator5d3, 4 months ago

Calvinator5d3 wrote:

I can't believe this isn't being done this very minute. I'd pay a lot to have live view on my iPad; IT'S WHY I BOUGHT THE DAMNED THING IN THE FIRST PLACE (bad info on available apps)

C'mon programmers out there - HALP!

IIRC then it actually can't be done via a wired connection because of how the iPad USB interface works and what iOS itself does/doesn't support.  Android on the other hand has no such problems and many of us have been using inexpensive apps like DSLRController with Canon bodies for years.

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
tarjei99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,001
Like?
In reply to Calvinator5d3, 4 months ago

It is not a programming issue, it is a HW issue.

You can try to use either a wireless or wired USB extender and see if it works. If it does work, you're in luck.

Alternatively add a Raspberry PI with suitable software to your camera and remote it using the wireless or Ethernet interfaces.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads