Petition to make Panasonic react

Started Mar 7, 2012 | Discussions
Iansky
Contributing MemberPosts: 988
Like?
Petition to make Panasonic react
Mar 7, 2012

I have just started a petition in order to try and put pressure on Panasonic to get them to acknowledge and do something about the focus/sharpness issues with the 14-42X "Prime lens".

If you are having problems and would like Panasonic to do something about them, please sign my petition at the link below:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/panasonic-14-42mm-x-lens-focussharpness-issues/
--
http://571photography.blogspot.com
http://www.Ianskyphotosite.blogspot.com

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,799Gear list
Like?
Didn't know that Panasonic.......
In reply to Iansky, Mar 7, 2012

Iansky wrote:

I have just started a petition in order to try and put pressure on Panasonic to get them to acknowledge and do something about the focus/sharpness issues with the 14-42X "Prime lens".

If you are having problems and would like Panasonic to do something about them, please sign my petition at the link below:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/panasonic-14-42mm-x-lens-focussharpness-issues/
--

is a constituional government.

tEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,470Gear list
Like?
Re: Petition to make Panasonic react

Iansky wrote:

--

Hey,
14-42X lens is not a prime lens, it is ZOOM lens. Can't join you
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,470Gear list
Like?
Right. The petition should be only for shareholders, to be presented
In reply to tedolf, Mar 7, 2012

at the next meeting. I suspect the OP isn't even a shareholder...nor know much about "prime" lenses.

Anyway, is it really possible that someone doesn't believe that Pany doesn't want to solve the problem, if it exists, and certainly solve the perception problem, which does seem to exist with some on this forum?

Silly. Childish.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
kermitG9
Contributing MemberPosts: 701
Like?
Wrong approach

If you want Panasonic to react.. then return your purchased product...

It's certainly not some kind of "web petition" that will catch their attention.

If there's a high return rate on a product, then resellers will be afraid to order it again.. and if a lot of them do that (and if they're "big"), then that won't go unnoticed.

Additionally, express your opinion via reviews on major sites like amazon etc..

That's far more useful !!

supermaxv
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?

I find it almost charming that people think that petitions like this will mean a thing.

supermaxv's gear list:supermaxv's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
jazzbass62
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728Gear list
Like?

I voted my ballot by mail - returned the defective X14-42mm lens to the seller (H&B via Amazon), was credited and am done.

That's the way to do it if you have the window of opp... otherwise your petition is not going to solve anything.

There was one thread last week where someone from Panasonic is dialoguing with a forum member - I'm sure the member will post back if Panasonic communicates back.

DPR has also communicated with Panasonic - someday I hope to read about P's reaction to DPR here as well.

Quite a few people have posted they have good copies and are quite happy with this lens - it's definitely a great concept if it performs.
--
---
Cleve

jazzbass62's gear list:jazzbass62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
leo9
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?

Iansky wrote:

Signed it. Thanks for posting the link. A lot of people, including me, are waiting for this issue to be resolved.

leo9's gear list:leo9's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
bjmike
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?
In reply to Iansky, Mar 8, 2012

Well, first of all, the 14-42mm isn't a prime lens at all; its a zoom lens. A lens can't be both. Secondly, its a cheap lens of mediocre quality; you kinda get what you pay for.

If you want a sharp lens, you could try the 14-45mm Panny zoom, which is much superior and not really expensive. Or you could buy either of the two pancakes (14mm and 20mm) both of which do pretty well, and/or the 25mm PanaLeica and the 45mm PanaLeica, Both of the latter are tack-sharp, but considerably more money.

Generally, zoom lenses aren't as sharp as good prime lenses.
--

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/mfurst_photos/Surmang%20and%20Yushu%202009/?albumview=slideshow

bjmike's gear list:bjmike's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,221Gear list
Like?
In reply to bjmike, Mar 8, 2012

bjmike wrote:

Well, first of all, the 14-42mm isn't a prime lens at all; its a zoom lens. A lens can't be both. Secondly, its a cheap lens of mediocre quality; you kinda get what you pay for.

The OP is talking about the 14-42 X , which is a $400 lens and intended to be sharper than the 14-45. But it suffers from a double image problem at shutter speeds from (roughly) 1/50 to 1/200, most likely due to a resonance in the power zoom assembly which is triggered either by the shutter itself or by the aperture mechanism (the problem is independent of the Power OIS mechanism). It's a very serious problem on a lens that is very expensive for what it is.

Generally, zoom lenses aren't as sharp as good prime lenses.

I see a telling adjective there.

Since at least the 1990s, good zoom lenses have been every bit as sharp as good prime lenses. This is even more true in the 2000s and the present. The real advantage of primes is smaller size (if it's just that one focal length you desire, at any rate) and larger apertures.
--
http://www.photoklarno.com

Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Steve Pope
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
Panasonic's equivalent of the Fuji 'white orbs' debacle?
In reply to Klarno, Mar 8, 2012

Klarno wrote:

the 14-42 X , which is a $400 lens and... suffers from a double image problem at shutter speeds from (roughly) 1/50 to 1/200...It's a very serious problem on a lens that is very expensive for what it is.
--

Does every single example shipped exhibit this glitch or do you have to be one of the unlucky ones? The majority of my photos would be taken in that shutter speed range too... If this issue exists right across the board it sounds like a major disaster worthy of a recall and/or discount on a Mk11 replacement. Looks like I'm staying prime then.

richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,668Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic's equivalent of the Fuji 'white orbs' debacle?
In reply to Steve Pope, Mar 8, 2012

Not every sample exhibits the problem. There are many pictures posted here which show the problem (including in a DPR camera review) and many which don't.

Steve Pope wrote:

Does every single example shipped exhibit this glitch or do you have to be one of the unlucky ones? The majority of my photos would be taken in that shutter speed range too... If this issue exists right across the board it sounds like a major disaster worthy of a recall and/or discount on a Mk11 replacement. Looks like I'm staying prime then.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +1 more
453C
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong approach
In reply to kermitG9, Mar 8, 2012

kermitG9 wrote:

If you want Panasonic to react.. then return your purchased product...

It's certainly not some kind of "web petition" that will catch their attention.

If there's a high return rate on a product, then resellers will be afraid to order it again.. and if a lot of them do that (and if they're "big"), then that won't go unnoticed.

Additionally, express your opinion via reviews on major sites like amazon etc..

That's far more useful !!

Correct.

Poor sales and high returns might get action, but ill-formed, anonymous web petitions never will. This isn't high school, and you aren't trying to get the principal to approve a jukebox for the lunch room.

I understand the motivation to start a petition, but it's a waste of time. If you can't return the lens, register it . Complain directly to Panasonic, and always include your serial number in the complaint. Real owners lodging real complaints to the actual company may have an effect. Motivate other owners to do the same, repeatedly. Email review sites about the problem, the steps you're taking to resolve it, and ask them to cover it in their news sections. Write fair reviews about the lens, too.

Don't bother with petitions.
--
http://453c.smugmug.com/

453C's gear list:453C's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,182Gear list
Like?
Some vendors are already reacting by not selling the lens.

Some vendors here do not list the lens, and others have it in a "permanent" out of stock state. Panasonic will either have to fix the lens or it is simply going to disappear from the market.

There are only so many returns a vendor is willing to accept before simply stopping the sale of a product.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the 450D, the Canon G6 and the Fuji F200.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Iansky
Like?
In reply to s_grins, Mar 8, 2012

Hey,
14-42X lens is not a prime lens, it is ZOOM lens. Can't join you
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

I did not mean Prime in the sense of focal length, but in the sense they advocate as being of Premium / Prime quality.

This is straight from the Panasonic website and I quote

H-PS14042E Interchangeable Lens

New Premium Lens Brand "X"
Outstanding Compactness and High Image Quality

They go on to say:

"Crystallizing Panasonic's optical technologies, new premium lens brand “X” features superb image rendering for lifelike textures, crisp edge-to-edge contrast, a unique Nano Surface Coating for minimal ghosts and flaring and natural atmospheres with remarkable transparency".

Two new high performance interchangeable lenses - the first from the premium lens brand, 'X' for LUMIX G

All of this clearly indicates to me that Panasonic are proclaiming this lens to be of a higher quality than equivalent lenses produced previously!

What a shame it does not match the hype!

I have spoken to the retailer and will be returning this lens to them as well (2nd person this week sending one back to their shop).

Iansky
Like?
Re: Right. The petition should be only for shareholders, to be presented
In reply to Corkcampbell, Mar 8, 2012

Corkcampbell wrote:

at the next meeting. I suspect the OP isn't even a shareholder...nor know much about "prime" lenses.

Anyway, is it really possible that someone doesn't believe that Pany doesn't want to solve the problem, if it exists, and certainly solve the perception problem, which does seem to exist with some on this forum?

Silly. Childish.

I am sorry to hear you say it is Silly & Childish, there is evidence that petitions do help in coercing manufacturers to react.

I do take offence if you are implying that I do not know much about Prime lenses (being an ex Pro photographer with a degree in photography I can assure you I do know about prime lenses), the lens is advocated by Panasonic as a Premium lens rather than prime in the sense of focal length, it is still promoted as having prime quality.

They go on to say:

"Crystallizing Panasonic's optical technologies, new premium lens brand “X” features superb image rendering for lifelike textures, crisp edge-to-edge contrast, a unique Nano Surface Coating for minimal ghosts and flaring and natural atmospheres with remarkable transparency".

Two new high performance interchangeable lenses - the first from the premium lens brand, 'X' for LUMIX G

All of this clearly indicates to me that Panasonic are proclaiming this lens to be of a higher quality than equivalent lenses produced previously!

I have spoken to the retailer and will be returning this lens to them as well (2nd person this week sending one back to their shop).

Iansky
Like?
In reply to supermaxv, Mar 8, 2012

supermaxv wrote:

I find it almost charming that people think that petitions like this will mean a thing.

On the other hand I find it sad that people do not realise the power of the internet in putting pressure on companies and it is well known that one petition across multiple internet sources does not go unnoticed and does get the attention of manufacturers.

It does however rely on people taking a positive step rather than being complacent.

Agreed, it does not have maximum effect on it's own but endorsed by negative posts about the product across many photo forums creates a powerful set of complimentary tools - it just requires people to act rather than sit.

I am also in conjunction with the petition and posts returning the lens via the retailer who informed me today they have already had another 14-42X returned this week due to issues that are the same as those posted on the web - people power does work, bystanders suffer!
--

jazzbass62
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728Gear list
Like?
Re: Some vendors are already reacting by not selling the lens.
In reply to Paul De Bra, Mar 8, 2012

Paul De Bra wrote:

Some vendors here do not list the lens, and others have it in a "permanent" out of stock state. Panasonic will either have to fix the lens or it is simply going to disappear from the market.

There are only so many returns a vendor is willing to accept before simply stopping the sale of a product.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the 450D, the Canon G6 and the Fuji F200.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

The above is what will likely have much more impact than an online petition... sorry to say, Panasonic has been awfully quiet. I wonder if a G X 14-42mm MKII will quietly enter stage right...
--
---
Cleve

jazzbass62's gear list:jazzbass62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Iansky
Like?
In reply to bjmike, Mar 8, 2012

bjmike wrote:

If you want a sharp lens, you could try the 14-45mm Panny zoom, which is much superior and not really expensive. Or you could buy either of the two pancakes (14mm and 20mm) both of which do pretty well, and/or the 25mm PanaLeica and the 45mm PanaLeica, Both of the latter are tack-sharp, but considerably more money.

I am fully aware of the difference, Panasonic advocate the 14-42X as being a Premium lens of prime quality that should outperform it's peers.

They go on to say:

453C
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
Re: Take real action, not this petition nonsense

Iansky wrote:

supermaxv wrote:

On the other hand I find it sad that people do not realise the power of the internet in putting pressure on companies and it is well known that one petition across multiple internet sources does not go unnoticed and does get the attention of manufacturers.

Please explain exactly how anonymous people, that may or may not actually own the relevant product, signing an internet petition, will accomplish anything compared to that kermitG9 and I have proposed. It's a delusional waste of time.

It does however rely on people taking a positive step rather than being complacent.

Positive steps are good. Internet petitions aren't on that menu.

Agreed, it does not have maximum effect on it's own but endorsed by negative posts about the product across many photo forums creates a powerful set of complimentary tools - it just requires people to act rather than sit.

Without taking substantive steps, that's known as whining. You're welcome to believe that's part of a "powerful set of complimentary tools", but I strongly believe it's largely irrelevant to Panasonic.

Minion: Boss, there's an internet petition against our X lenses, and people are whining about them on internet forums! Oh dear, what shall we do?

Panasonic Overlord: Yeah? What do the sales and return numbers look like? Not bad? The market has spoken!

I am also in conjunction with the petition and posts returning the lens via the retailer who informed me today they have already had another 14-42X returned this week due to issues that are the same as those posted on the web - people power does work, bystanders suffer!

Good for you! That was a positive step!

Honestly, what do you think will have more (any?) impact, returning the lens, or whining about its deficiencies and signing an internet petition?

To be clear, I want those lenses to work properly, but I have no standing in the matter. I don't own an X lens, and I don't plan to buy one. If owners want to have the issue resolved to their satisfaction, they'd best stop wasting time and get on with what does work, and that isn't an internet petition.
--
http://453c.smugmug.com/

453C's gear list:453C's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads