Does K-01 autofocus during video?

Started Mar 7, 2012 | Discussions
robert james
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?
Does K-01 autofocus during video?
Mar 7, 2012

I read the new K-01 manual, and it does NOT mention continuous autofocus in video.
Am I missing something here? I thought the K-01 could do this!!!

Update...the Pentax forums suggest that you have to press the shutter button (half way down?) to autofocus in video. Can an owner confirm this? It seems a bit awkward.

Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kenyee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,509Gear list
Like?
it's been mentioned in a lot of reviews
In reply to robert james, Mar 7, 2012

yes it does, the normal way you focus in still mode.

If you're serious about doing HDSLR video, you'd use a focus puller though...

kenyee's gear list:kenyee's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mugundhan
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: Does K-01 autofocus during video?
In reply to robert james, Mar 8, 2012

Looks like that based on PF thread,
I know some DSLRs do that but how about m4/3rd cameras? Do they continuously AF?

If so, it is disappointment on K-01 atleast for people doing impromptu family videos

I recently bought LX5, it is very useful to have that feature especially now that we have a new born

How about K-5? Dpreview says manual, somewhere I remember reading in pop phot mag that K-7 can acquire AF if we press AF button during video, I imagine k-5 doing that

I still own K10D, that satisfies my photo needs, I am waiting for a DSLR or mirrorless from Pentax that can do continuously AF for video

robert james
Like?
Re: Does K-01 autofocus during video? Not clear yet?
In reply to Mugundhan, Mar 8, 2012

Pentax said the K-01 could autofocus in video. I'm simply trying to define what that means, exactly (I would not think that this is complicated).

Does the K-01 autofocus continually in video, or do you have to:
1) hold down the shutter button and it refocuses once?
2) hold down the shutter button and it refocuses continually?

Anyone know?

ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,741Gear list
Like?

Mugundhan wrote:

I know some DSLRs do that

DSLRs that do AF in video do a terrible job (not counting SLT)

but how about m4/3rd cameras? Do they continuously AF?

They do a fine job; plus m4/3rd and Nex lenses are optimized for video from scratch, with silent AF and stepless aperture, and in Sony 18-200 case, the "active" stabilization comes their camcorders line, that is optimized to work in video mode.

robert james
Like?
In reply to ET2, Mar 8, 2012

So no one on the forum has used the K-01 in video yet????

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,471
Like?

robert james wrote:

So no one on the forum has used the K-01 in video yet????

The K-01 was not even availble for purchase until the last couple of days. So, I imagine that it will be known in a week or two.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,443Gear list
Like?

The K5:
will not autofocus during ideo.
you can only af before you start recording. after that it's manual focus.
So if you do use AF, you better hae a quick-shift lens.

This thread for me could be critical for getting a K-01 or not.

i'm looking forward to the first user impressions!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
robert james
Like?

Just contacted Pentax USA. Great support team there.

Here is the sad news....the K-01 does NOT autofocus, in any way, during video. Only before you start, like the K-5. So the K-01 video mode improves over the K-5 only in compression and manual control, but NOT the most important feature....autofocus. I hope video AF is in the next version ....K-02????

citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 750Gear list
Like?
In reply to miles green, Mar 9, 2012

Good for concerts, bad for sports and toddlers.

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
robert james
Like?
Re: Does K-01 autofocus during video? Update
In reply to robert james, Mar 9, 2012

According to a Japanese Pentax FAQ, and one user reporting:

For the K-01, it is made clear that whilst continuous tracking AF is not possible during video recording, now the K-01 can be re-focused during video recording by pressing the AE-L/AF button, once it is set to do so in the custom menu.

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,963
Like?

robert james wrote:

Just contacted Pentax USA. Great support team there.

I think you'll find they know very little about anything other than the very minimal to a little above beginner functions of any product. Any new product and they won't be up to even that for at least six months.

Thank you
Russell

Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,221Gear list
Like?
Autofocus in video?

Ouch ... no I dont want that.

Neither do I want AWB and auto exposure during a video sequence.

The only focussing that works during video panning is a focus follower.

-- hide signature --

Roland

support http://www.openraw.org/
(Sleeping - so the need to support it is even higher)

X3F tools : http://www.proxel.se/x3f.html

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Roland Karlsson
Like?
Re: Does K-01 autofocus during video? Update

robert james wrote:

According to a Japanese Pentax FAQ, and one user reporting:

For the K-01, it is made clear that whilst continuous tracking AF is not possible during video recording, now the K-01 can be re-focused during video recording by pressing the AE-L/AF button, once it is set to do so in the custom menu.

That sounds very reasonable.

-- hide signature --

Roland

Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to citrontokyo, Mar 9, 2012

citrontokyo wrote:

Isnt auto focus during video always bad? For video quality that is. I might understand that it might be useful for concerts as you want to keep the filming going, concentrating on different parts. But ... then the way K01 does it (as far as I have read) to refocus if you push the AF button is the best choice. Then you are in control and can do it in a professional way.

-- hide signature --

Roland

NorthwestF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Mar 9, 2012

Roland Karlsson wrote:

citrontokyo wrote:

Isnt auto focus during video always bad? For video quality that is. I might understand that it might be useful for concerts as you want to keep the filming going, concentrating on different parts. But ... then the way K01 does it (as far as I have read) to refocus if you push the AF button is the best choice. Then you are in control and can do it in a professional way.

On other mirrorless systems you can turn off AF-C during video if you want, but if you do want AF-C, they do nice, silent, and smooth job. Thousands of youtube clips are a proof.

The problem wiith K01 is that it is using a DSLR mount with screw-driven lenses. The AF is going to be noisy and look jerky (like D7000, D5100 in video). That's probably why Pentax simply disabled AF-C in video mode. It's not a "feature". They simply had no choice. But, given K01 is a consumer product for consumers who are used to AF-C in video, this is a serious handicap.

This is just another problem with using K-mount as a mirror-less system. I doubt K02 will resolve this issue.

NorthwestF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Mar 9, 2012

Roland Karlsson wrote:

But ... then the way K01 does it (as far as I have read) to refocus if you push the AF button is the best choice. Then you are in control and can do it in a professional way.

Canon DSLRs do the same (AF when you push AF button). It doesn't work well. The AF is still jerky and bad. Manual focus on DSLRs works far better than pushing the button and getting jerky AF during video, see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHPaVD0pHpQ

Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to NorthwestF, Mar 10, 2012

NorthwestF wrote:

On other mirrorless systems you can turn off AF-C during video if you want, but if you do want AF-C, they do nice, silent, and smooth job. Thousands of youtube clips are a proof.

Maybe.

But personally I dont find it attractive with automatic changes during a movie. I dont like it when the screen darkens when there is a bright object entering the view. And thw color balance changing when a colored object enters the view. And focussing changing at random when panning. I think it is disturbing and looks unprofessional.

The problem wiith K01 is that it is using a DSLR mount with screw-driven lenses. The AF is going to be noisy and look jerky (like D7000, D5100 in video). That's probably why Pentax simply disabled AF-C in video mode. It's not a "feature". They simply had no choice. But, given K01 is a consumer product for consumers who are used to AF-C in video, this is a serious handicap.

Thats true. And if I wanted a movie camera that can do auto focus during panning I would get a camera that do it well.

-- hide signature --

Roland

Marc Sabatella
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,679
Like?
In reply to NorthwestF, Mar 10, 2012

NorthwestF wrote:

Actually, the vast majority of videos I have seen with AF-C look terrible , but I'm sure there are some exceptions if the scene being recorded happens to be simple enough.

The problem wiith K01 is that it is using a DSLR mount with screw-driven lenses.

Since when is the K-01 limited to screw-driven lenses?

Seems likely that the K-01 could support AF-C during video if it chose to - if it doesn't now, then perhaps via firmware upgrade - and if used with an SDM, DC, or equivalent third party lens, it should be capable of producing videos exactly as crappy as the thousands taken with other cameras on YouTube. And certainly, there is no reason in the world to assume the K-02 wouldn't be able to support this right out of the box.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads