Switching from Aperture 3 to Lightroom 4?

Started Mar 7, 2012 | Discussions
Ryanide
Regular MemberPosts: 403Gear list
Like?
Switching from Aperture 3 to Lightroom 4?
Mar 7, 2012

Is there anyone here that feels the need to drop Aperture 3 and move to Lightroom 4?

Personally, I've been using Aperture for a long time now, but I don't like the full screen implementation and the regular screen is not so great. But the big thing that I'm finding is the integration with Photoshop is not great for managing roundtrip files. Such as when merging multiple files in Photoshop's HDR and then getting those files back into my Aperture library.

Seems like photoshop has a much better integration in this aspect.

Another thing is that the standard RAW processing of images from my 5DmkII end up looking pretty drab with Aperture's initial process. Seems like they need quite a bit of tweaking just to get them looking nice. Anyone else notice this?

Also, the new LR4 book module looks like something I may start using.

What do you think?

Ryanide's gear list:Ryanide's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +6 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,750
Like?
Switching from Lightroom 4 to Aperture 4 soon?
In reply to Ryanide, Mar 7, 2012

This will never end;-)

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom M1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,687
Like?
Re: Switching from Aperture 3 to Lightroom 4?

I have read that they use Blurb which means I will not use LR4.
I am very happy with A3 books.
--
-- show signature --

AndyGordon
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
So, when Aperture 4 comes out.....

Will there be a compelling reason to switch back again - given they tend to leap frog each other
--
d300s, GF1, LX5, Mac and more years with film than I care to remember

happypuppy
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?

I am using both. I use TIFF for round trips. The reason I use both is I like the storage Aperture uses better, its simple but a memory pig. So, storage is Aperture. I like Lightroom's tabbed workflow , ability to get into PS or PSE easily and some of the new tools are fantastic like the white balance tool. I run it on my MacbookPro and it is much faster than Aperture on it.

Peter Rongsted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ryanide, Mar 8, 2012

Ryanide wrote:

Is there anyone here that feels the need to drop Aperture 3 and move to Lightroom 4?

Not really. But then I've never been wanting the new shinny thing too badly. At least when it comes to software - I did get the Nikon D700 the first day it was available

Personally, I've been using Aperture for a long time now, but I don't like the full screen implementation and the regular screen is not so great. But the big thing that I'm finding is the integration with Photoshop is not great for managing roundtrip files. Such as when merging multiple files in Photoshop's HDR and then getting those files back into my Aperture library.

Surprised? The official name is after all Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4!!

Another thing is that the standard RAW processing of images from my 5DmkII end up looking pretty drab with Aperture's initial process. Seems like they need quite a bit of tweaking just to get them looking nice. Anyone else notice this?

For what I've seen its not better than the book function in Aperture 3. But I don't make all that many books

What do you think?

I like the Aperture organizer a lot better than the Lightroom organizer. So I'll wait and see. I think Apple will update Aperture some time this year. Should the update be too little too late then maybe.

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-500 Nikon D700 +35 more
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,016Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Rongsted, Mar 8, 2012

Lightroom has some very nice image adjustment tools, some of which I like better than Aperture. However, everything else beside that, I like better in Aperture. If AP4 came out with the things it is missing, better sharpening and noise reduction, lens correction and perspective corrections, and better chromatic aberration corrections, and a picture package or free form layout tool for printing, then it would outpoint LR at nearly every task.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}

http://www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
CarlC
Contributing MemberPosts: 969
Like?
Re: So, when Aperture 4 comes out.....
In reply to AndyGordon, Mar 8, 2012

I am just glad the upgrade price is low. I use both, love both.. Competition is a good thing.
--
Just an amateur
http://www.moosehead.smugmug.com

vdubreeze
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?
Re: So, when Aperture 4 comes out.....
In reply to CarlC, Mar 8, 2012

I think this is going to be a $150 that many Aperture users with older, slower Macs are going to spring for. I've been looking for various ways to get more life out of my older MBP until the next models, and there's really nothing short of spending a grand for a refurb that makes any sense. And if it doesn't run any more happily and responsively and is not quite the temporary panacea hoped for (there are some grumblings abut the Windows version being slower than 3) the worst thing that will come out of it is that they'll have it in their arsenal and only be out $150.

I think the Ivy Bridge models not arriving until June might help sell a few of these while that still seems so far away.

erik hansen
Contributing MemberPosts: 569
Like?

My understanding, when I looked into this months ago, was that there was no good way to move from one to the other. I mean, if you are taking advantage of non-destructive adjustments, you can’t simply move your RAW files and adjustments from one app to the other. So if you’ve got a library full of adjusted and tweaked images, you’d have to actually output those as TIFF (or some other file format) to bake in the changes. Which means you now have a RAW image plus a much larger TIFF of the same image. Am I missing something? Seems that moving from one to the other is nothing short of a monumental task.
--
Erik P. Hansen

happypuppy
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
In reply to erik hansen, Mar 8, 2012

I store all images after conversion as TIFF. There is no real RAW format, just a multitude of variations. I don't want to at some point get stuck with a bunch of RAW formats that are at the whim of Adobe and all the others. Notice how if you upgrade to CSx , Lightroom X etc . it wants to fix your RAW images? No thanks. TIFF is lossless as well but yes its larger.

vdubreeze
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?
In reply to erik hansen, Mar 8, 2012

erik hansen wrote:

My understanding, when I looked into this months ago, was that there was no good way to move from one to the other. I mean, if you are taking advantage of non-destructive adjustments, you can’t simply move your RAW files and adjustments from one app to the other. So if you’ve got a library full of adjusted and tweaked images, you’d have to actually output those as TIFF (or some other file format) to bake in the changes. Which means you now have a RAW image plus a much larger TIFF of the same image. Am I missing something? Seems that moving from one to the other is nothing short of a monumental task.
--

Who says you have to transfer your libraries over? Your copy of Aperture doesn't disintegrate when you buy LR : ) Finish in progress Aperture work and get to know LR and decide if you want to start projects from this point on in LR. If you need old images, fire up Aperture.

M Colyer
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?

I use Lightroom as Aperture simply does not keep up with the latest cameras and when it does, the RAW conversion to jpeg is simply not in the same class as Lightroom. I have a Panasonic GX1 and I am still waiting for Aperture to enable me to process RAW. Roll on Christmas!!

But more seriously, Lightroom offers a lot more controls especially when it comes to correcting distortions etc. Yes I do use Aperture but only for processing Lightroom failures. For me it will always be second option. And Lightroom 4? Bit like being born again!
Sorry if you disagree.

M Colyer's gear list:M Colyer's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +2 more
erik hansen
Contributing MemberPosts: 569
Like?
In reply to happypuppy, Mar 8, 2012

Interesting. That’s like throwing out the negatives! But I wonder how many people do the same. I see the advantages of doing that, and understand the concern that one day the support for your RAW files will be dropped. I’m not sure I’d want to see my disk space usage explode and lose the adjustment settings I’d made, though. It’s something to think about...

-- hide signature --

Erik P. Hansen

Ryanide
Regular MemberPosts: 403Gear list
Like?
In reply to happypuppy, Mar 8, 2012

Isn't that the reason that Adobe has been pushing the DNG format as an archival option for years now? (Which I have yet to use)

But I do see your point. I have documents that I created 15 years ago in WordPerfect and none of todays programs will open them. And what about those programs that only work in Mac OS9? Modern computer will not even think about those.

Ryanide's gear list:Ryanide's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +6 more
PatrickHIck
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Ryanide, Apr 7, 2012

Read these opinions with interest.

I have been a user of Lightroom from day one ( PC & iMac) used the LR4. (beta) didn't think there was that much to shout about in the upgrade from LR3, however the LR4 beta was faster than LR3 on my iMac so I have upgraded to 4. Was I disappointed YES it is so slow at least on my machine. I have downloaded and installed Aperure 3 and it's many times faster, does most that LR4 will do not all admitted but still experimenting.

It integrates fine with Photoshop CS4 and all my Nik plugins, so I am now looking forward to a Aperture 4 release.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
In reply to Ryanide, Apr 7, 2012

Ryanide

Libre Office will open your WordPerfect files.

http://www.documentfoundation.org/

Best, Tink.

BRJR
Forum ProPosts: 13,641Gear list
Like?
Re: "Switching from Aperture 3 to Lightroom 4?" (Never, Never, Never ...)
In reply to Ryanide, Apr 8, 2012

No, as an Apple computer, Apple TV, iPad and iPhone user, I prefer Apple software. Got burned enough in the past when third party software vendors such as Adobe and Nikon didn't keep their editing software on par with Apple OS and other updates; and, so will not visit that route again. Besides, as a Nikon and Leica-m user, Apple Aperture meets my needs very well.
--

"Working for God on earth does not pay much, but His Retirement plan is out of this world."

BRJR ....(LOL, some of us are quite satisfied as Hobbyists ..)

BRJR's gear list:BRJR's gear list
Leica M9 Nikon D700 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 24mm f/1.4 ASPH +21 more
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?
In reply to M Colyer, Apr 9, 2012

Apple/Aperture takes longer, but does a more thorough job. For example, Fujifilm X100 files shot in DR200% or DR400% show underexposed in LR because it doesn't interpret the MakerNote field. Likewise with the selected focus point in Canon flies (also stored in a MakerNote). Faster incomplete support, or slower full featured support? I guess it depends on when you buy your camera and your patience.

-Najinsky

M Colyer wrote:

I use Lightroom as Aperture simply does not keep up with the latest cameras and when it does, the RAW conversion to jpeg is simply not in the same class as Lightroom. I have a Panasonic GX1 and I am still waiting for Aperture to enable me to process RAW. Roll on Christmas!!

But more seriously, Lightroom offers a lot more controls especially when it comes to correcting distortions etc. Yes I do use Aperture but only for processing Lightroom failures. For me it will always be second option. And Lightroom 4? Bit like being born again!
Sorry if you disagree.

Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?
Yes, no, maybe.
In reply to Ryanide, Apr 9, 2012

I much prefer the design of Aperture, however with version 3 they rewrote a lot of code heinrich it run well on slower hardware. Unfortunately this code is so bug ridden that Aperture has gone from my number one App to something of a chore, having to constantly work around its bugs and short-comings.

For me version 4.1 will be a watershed (x.0 always has bugs so I'll allow a bug fix release before deciding). I want Apple to show this is a serious tool for people who are serious about their photography, not an iPhoto plus for those who just want to buy bells and whistles for their Mac. I'm not that hopeful, I think it will be iPhoto plus, at which point I'll probably switch to Aperture for management and DXO for processing, but I'm not fixed on my replacement workflow yet, I guess I'm still rooting for Aperture.

-Najinsky

Ryanide wrote:

What do you think?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads