1st photos from my XZ-1

Started Mar 7, 2012 | Discussions
No Regrets
Regular MemberPosts: 455
Like?
1st photos from my XZ-1
Mar 7, 2012

I am completely new to photography and this is my first time trying to post photos from my XZ-1.

If these do not turn out very well, please do not blame the camera. I'm sure it is much more to do with my lack of knowledge and experience than anything with the camera itself as I have seen some very beautiful examples from the XZ-1 on this forum.

Hopefully, I will be able to learn and grow my skills so that I can contribute some enjoyable photos to the forum.

By the way. The following photos have not had any post processing work done to them....as I do not even know how to that yet.

Hopefully this works.....unfortunately, I know even less about computers than what I do about cameras. Lord help me!

Best regards,
No Regrets

Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ShrewsCam
Regular MemberPosts: 257Gear list
Like?
Re: 1st photos from my XZ-1
In reply to No Regrets, Mar 7, 2012

Hi, i would play around more with the camera, take lots of pictures and vary your shots - then review them later to see what works and what doesn't - then post your best.
To my eye

1. Too much snow at the bottom - maybe crop to get more focus on the birds and the bridge

2. I would say the balance is thrown by too much on the water and cutting off the top of the tree catches my eye
3.Pity the tail of the bird got hidden by the wall
4. Again pity the head is hidden and I would have cropped to remove the scat ...

Also when you get into PP you could boost the contrast in the last two

Regards ShrewsCam

ShrewsCam's gear list:ShrewsCam's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD750 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
No Regrets
Like?
In reply to ShrewsCam, Mar 7, 2012

Thank you for your constructive comments. These are the kinds of helpful hints that I am looking for to help me along this journey.

Best regards,
No Regrets

Lois Ann
Forum ProPosts: 10,915
Like?
In reply to No Regrets, Mar 7, 2012

Not bad for a newbie. I agree with ShrewsCam's tips. For me, the most important things are straight horizons (mine usually have to be fixed in PP), pay attention to backgrounds so they are not distracting, practice the "rule of thirds" (your photo #2 is a good example). Post-processing is a good idea, even film photographers did it!

If you are really interested in photography, try your local library for some books on exposure, composition, etc.

Have fun and keep posting!

-- hide signature --

Lois Ann
E-1, E-330, E510, 14-54mm, 11-22mm, 50-200mm, 70-300mm,
EC14, EX25, FL36; C8080WZ
Photography: 'Freezing photons for the future.' or 'Capturing a story in light.'

No Regrets
Like?
In reply to Lois Ann, Mar 7, 2012

Thank you Lois Ann for taking the time to post your comments to me.

I am an absolute "newbie" to this. There has just been so many times I've been somewhere and thought...."this would make a nice picture" or I am enjoying myself somewhere and never want to forget the experience and so I think...."I wish I had some pictures of this to remind me or to help me reflect on it in the future, but I never had a camera.

So from reading on this forum, I thought that this might make a nice portable camera that I can start learning with.

So, thank you for the welcome and the helpful hints. I will keep posting pictures as I go along.....and hopefully some of you kind folk will continue to post your helpful tips. They will be most appreciated!

Best regards,
No Regrets

Michael919
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
In reply to No Regrets, Mar 9, 2012

Hi No Regrets,

It's great to see you posting pics! It's a great way to learn. Great points above, so I don't have anything to add. Just keep having fun!

Michael

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottawa919/link

No Regrets
Like?
In reply to Michael919, Mar 9, 2012

Michael919 wrote:

Hi No Regrets,

It's great to see you posting pics! It's a great way to learn. Great points above, so I don't have anything to add. Just keep having fun!

Michael

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottawa919/link

Hello Michael,

Thank you! It's great to hear from you. You were one of the nice people on this forum who helped answer the many questions I had when I was trying to determine which camera to get and and the various things I needed for it. I truly appreciate the help you had given me.

I bought the camera back in early December, but life threw a few curve balls at us and I wasn't able to do much with it until now. So I am looking forward to learning how to use it, and just having some fun capturing some images, etc. I will try and post a few from time to time but I'm afraid they won't be as enjoyable as most others are on this forum. Some of you make photography look so easy.....I have a lot to learn, but it will be a fun journey for me.

Warmest Regards,
No Regrets

OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,263Gear list
Like?
In reply to No Regrets, Mar 9, 2012

HIya. Good start to your new hobby (I should say obsession ). The XZ-1 seems a very versatile camera and you have chosen well with it. Most of the comments passed already have merit, so learn from them.

If you are "computer-phobic" and want to Post Process your shots you can download for free Picasa3, which is a great PP program for beginners. It's easy to use, and the functions may seem basic but you do get some great output.

Of course, the best thing to do to learn your craft is to snap away willy nilly. On average for a shoot I'll shoot upwards of 80 - 100 shots and only after PP will I find I have 6 - 10 reasonably good keepers, so don't lose heart if you think you're not getting a full range dynamic.

Thane
--
In between the Hour Glass
and the lens of a secondhand camera
a dog barks orders to troops
lining a battlefield
of posies and poppy,

the diecast setting of a model
standing aloft, aloof
the rain pelting an icy tin roof
suggests the shutterspeed needs to be fast
to capture the enemy.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
No Regrets
Like?
In reply to OlyChamp, Mar 10, 2012

Thank you Thane! Thank you for telling me about the free Picasa. I will try and download that this weekend and give it a try. I will also take your advice and take as many pictures as I can....might as well dive right in, so to speak.

I appreciate everyone's comments, tips and general willingness to help me.

Best regards,
No Regrets

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads