Poor mans 5D3 for $2,250/

Started Mar 6, 2012 | Discussions
nick64
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
Poor mans 5D3 for $2,250/
Mar 6, 2012

As a wedding photographer in this tough economy every penny I spend has to be justified. I want the 5D3 but lets not forget what the 5D mark ii can do with a little help.

Get a used 5D make II for $1800, plus a copy of light room 4 for $150 + STE2 $250 and a book on how to properly expose for $40. and you have a poor mans 5D3.

the examples are shoot at 12,800 and exposed to the right by one stop processed in light room. The example also pushes the shadows a bit, do you see any banding?? don't think so..

As far as focusing, STE2 or any flash to help you focus, works great for me.

As far as speed, the 5D mark II can't touch that, but then again how many brides are running at you at 20 miles per hour, most of them just stand still at the ceremony.

For the difference between a 5d2 and a 5d3, I think it makes more sense for me to invest that money in a ipad3 plus a used 85 1.2.. Both of those will have a quicker ROI.

The ipad3 can be load with my photos and the couple can browse them when we meet and the 85 1,2 will help me stand out of the crowd, in a very competitive wedding photography business.

nick64's gear list:nick64's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rakumi
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,120
Like?
Re: Poor mans 5D3 for $2,250/
In reply to nick64, Mar 6, 2012

I truly cannot imagine a wedding photographer using a 5dii needs to upgrade. If they are doing fine as is, they wont need the new body. As you said, fps wont make a difference and AF wont be as needed as a sports or action shooter. The mk iii is more geared for general purpose use where you are doing a bit of everything.
--

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,304Gear list
Like?
I can save you $40

Everything you need to know in order to expose correctly can be found in the owner's manual coupled with critical viewing and some contemplation.

The 5D2 can be turned into an IQ180 also. All you have to do is stitch about 150 images together.

nick64 wrote:

As a wedding photographer in this tough economy every penny I spend has to be justified. I want the 5D3 but lets not forget what the 5D mark ii can do with a little help.

Get a used 5D make II for $1800, plus a copy of light room 4 for $150 + STE2 $250 and a book on how to properly expose for $40. and you have a poor mans 5D3.

the examples are shoot at 12,800 and exposed to the right by one stop processed in light room. The example also pushes the shadows a bit, do you see any banding?? don't think so..

As far as speed, the 5D mark II can't touch that, but then again how many brides are running at you at 20 miles per hour, most of them just stand still at the ceremony.

For the difference between a 5d2 and a 5d3, I think it makes more sense for me to invest that money in a ipad3 plus a used 85 1.2.. Both of those will have a quicker ROI.

The ipad3 can be load with my photos and the couple can browse them when we meet and the 85 1,2 will help me stand out of the crowd, in a very competitive wedding photography business.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, photography never for sale, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Cineski2
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?

As a wedding and commercial photographer, I have tried really really hard to want to buy the 5D2. I just can't do it. There are some things the 5D2 can do better but in other ways (some very important ones) it's worse than the 5D. First, my 5D's have superior auto focus to any 5D2 I've used. During daylight, it's pretty much identical, but in low light my 5D's actually do pretty well while the 5D2 was noticeably slower. The biggest hit for me is the gross shadow patterns in the 5D2. This was, in my opinion, a complete screw up from Canon's end. If you shoot for highlights and bring the shadows up it looks bad. I've seen a lot of other photographer's work and I can tell when a 5D2 is used simply because of the shadow noise I see. The 5D2 also doesn't do ISO 6400 that well so if you're shooting a dark location and your famously inaccurate ETTL doesn't get the exposure correct, you have zero wiggle room in post to fix the image. 3200 on the 5D2 is pretty good, but with my 5D's at 1600 I have quite a bit of room to push the image in post production without the shadows falling apart.

Fact is, Canon almost made me jump ship. The 5D2's uninspiring performance and the 580EXII's horrible quality control with the unit falling out of ETTL because of contact problems was just inexcusable. With the 5D3 (which I pre-ordered) I definitely feel the price is too much. But as a 5D user, I am dying for clean high ISO and video. The 5D3 may just be the camera I've been waiting for. If not, Nikon has some very fine offerings.

Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,329
Like?

You might also consider the Yongnuo ST-E2, which is MUCH improved over the Canon version. Superior in every respect, but especially in regards to AF assist. Plus, it uses standard AA batteries!

nick64 wrote:

MajStriker
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?

Any light that allows you to shoot at 1/800 of a second is going to definitely mask the noise from ISO 12800. Shoot in light that requires 1/15 or 1/30th (at F/2.8) at ISO 12800 on the 5D II and you will quickly see the difference between the 5DII and the 5DIII.

nick64 wrote:

-- hide signature --
Taynt3d
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?
In reply to Rakumi, Mar 6, 2012

Rakumi wrote:

I truly cannot imagine a wedding photographer using a 5dii needs to upgrade.

Worth it for improved AF alone, way more cross types, even some double-cross, focusing down to -2 EV, better servo algorithms, etc. Easily worth it for any fast moving docu work, weddings included. Not to mention other goodies like a stop or two in the low light dept., micro-adjust that can be set at both ends of zoom lenses, and access to improved/integrated flash setups to name just a few. For some pros, the cost will be easily justifiable.

nick64
Like?
In reply to Taynt3d, Mar 6, 2012

I'd love to get it, but as a wedding photographer, I don't see how It's going to help me make more money. My current setup is a 5D and a 5D mark II.

Outdoor portraits at base ISO the lens will make more of a difference than the camera.

At the ceremony, if the light get's very low, i use my 50 1.4 and the 24-70 and 70-200 for everything else. I never go higher than 6400 during the ceremony.

The reception; i work with 2 off camera flashes + a 580ex for fill and focus assist.

It would be nice to have, but the difference in Canada between a new 5D3 ($4,370 tax incl) and a used 5D ii ($1,800) is $2,570.

I can get some really nice glass for $2,500 that will really up my game.

Nick

Fujifilm FinePix X100
Jay Adeff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,276
Like?
Use FEL
In reply to Cineski2, Mar 6, 2012

I use Flash Exposure Lock (FEL) with my 5D or 1DMkII and 580EXII combined with the spot meter, so I always get properly exposed flash pictures.

member054
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
In reply to nick64, Mar 7, 2012

Hi Nick,

This comment intrigued me:

"As far as focusing, STE2 or any flash to help you focus, works great for me."

I haven't read much on this aspect, but does the flash have to fire for the ST-E2 to assist focusing? Can you use the ST-E2 without a slave flash assigned and still get the benefit with focusing?

Rakumi
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,120
Like?
In reply to Taynt3d, Mar 7, 2012

Oh i agree... A pro will make the change and it fits for them. But a semi pro... I am just guessing would not need it a whole lot for just weddings right? It seems like an amazing camera but maybe overkill for a only wedding shooter maybe?

Taynt3d wrote:

Rakumi wrote:

I truly cannot imagine a wedding photographer using a 5dii needs to upgrade.

Worth it for improved AF alone, way more cross types, even some double-cross, focusing down to -2 EV, better servo algorithms, etc. Easily worth it for any fast moving docu work, weddings included. Not to mention other goodies like a stop or two in the low light dept., micro-adjust that can be set at both ends of zoom lenses, and access to improved/integrated flash setups to name just a few. For some pros, the cost will be easily justifiable.

-- hide signature --

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

nick64
Like?
In reply to member054, Mar 7, 2012

member054 wrote:

Hi Nick,

This comment intrigued me:

"As far as focusing, STE2 or any flash to help you focus, works great for me."

I haven't read much on this aspect, but does the flash have to fire for the ST-E2 to assist focusing? Can you use the ST-E2 without a slave flash assigned and still get the benefit with focusing?

Hi,

yes you can use the st-e2 or any flash for the matter. if using the flash you can have it fire the focus assist while the flash itself does not fire. Yes, you can use the st-e2 by itself, just as a focus assist or try the one from yonguno (not sure about spelling, see post above). I use the 580-ex as a focus assist if it gets really dark and it works great

Fujifilm FinePix X100
PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,355
Like?
Isn't there camera wear-out ?
In reply to Rakumi, Mar 7, 2012

Folks are talking a lot about whether so-and-so "needs to upgrade". Aren't there pros who "need a new camera" because their old one is dying. Wedding photogs with their 2k clicks per event?

For a while, they might still have a choice to buy a new 5dII or a new 5dIII, but in the not too distant future, isn't it a moot discussion and only the 5dIII will be around new ?

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,355
Like?

FYI.. I believe overexposing an ISO 12800 shot by one stop is the same as having shot at ISO 6400 with no over exposure.

If you meant to show ISO 25600 equivalent, you'd need to underexpose by a stop an ISO 12800 shot.

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

Jack A. Zucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,538
Like?
what is ste2?

what is ste2?

PicPocket
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,865Gear list
Like?
Re: what is ste2?
In reply to Jack A. Zucker, Mar 7, 2012

Jack A. Zucker wrote:

what is ste2?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ste2

-- hide signature --
 PicPocket's gear list:PicPocket's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads