A trip to Schwartz's Deli and Robbed!

Started Mar 6, 2012 | Discussions
KFoisy
Regular MemberPosts: 400
Like?
A trip to Schwartz's Deli and Robbed!
Mar 6, 2012

On Saturday, I ventured off to Montreal to buy my vintage Nikkor lens. 3 1/2 hrs of driving and when I arrived, I was thrilled to see that the lens was everything I had hoped for and more. (see other thread)

We then decided, since we are in Montreal, to go for a smoked meat sandwich at the very famous Schwatz's deli.

M9/50cron

After a long stand in line, a quick but great sandwich at this famous place, we strolled back to the car while I snapped a few shots.

But then a surprise...we return to the car after only about 35 mins to find that our car had been smashed into and robbed. Thank god my camera gear was with me. They got my MacBook Pro, light meter and a few other goodies but my M9 and lenses were with me.

Less than 24 hrs later, a new MacBook was brilliantly restored by Apple's Time Capsule and I was back in action without skipping a beat.

Lesson learned ... do not leave your valuables in the car in a place like Montreal. Though admittedly it could happen anywhere, Montreal is apparently terrible for this. The police didn't even want to come and see it, they just filed the report by phone.

Kevin

Fenway
Contributing MemberPosts: 839
Like?
To Kevin
In reply to KFoisy, Mar 6, 2012

Kevin, wow much drama--exciting lens, great sandwich, really nice image of walk back, and then, the unexpected ending. Something like a mystery story. But I'm sure happy that within 24 hours, you were back to normal. Nevertheless, enjoyed this set of images.

George

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
g2van
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: A trip to Schwartz's Deli and Robbed!

Most/some homeowners' insurance will cover lost/stolen household items including cameras, laptops, etc even when you are travelling but the usual exception is theft from a vehicle. So check your insurance, confirm with your insurance broker the scope of coverage, keep a list of your equipment with full description including serial numbers and don't keep any valuables in the car, no matter what/how long/where.

Also a good practice to prepare a list of valuables before each trip overseas (again complete with all necessary details) and have it signed before notary/school principal/doctor (depends on practice of your country of residence) -- this not only helps with dealing with customs agents upon return to prove these were acquired before the trip (therefore no taxes payable) but also helps with theft while on trip -- document shows you owned the equipment and was taking it along for the trip.

It's a pain but once you have all your gear on spreadsheet, it's a matter of adapting and printing.

Lesson learned ... do not leave your valuables in the car in a place like Montreal. Though admittedly it could happen anywhere, Montreal is apparently terrible for this. The police didn't even want to come and see it, they just filed the report by phone.

Kevin

starwolfy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133Gear list
Like?

The only places I know in the world where I would leave alone my bag on the backsit of my car are South Korea and Japan. Sadly.

starwolfy's gear list:starwolfy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
Photomoss
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?

Sorry to hear that. Good thing you have your M9 with you...
--
Best Regards,

Wewe

Prosophos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590
Like?
Hi Kevin,

Very nice story-telling images... but bad ending for you :(. Sorry for your misfortune... at least you're taking it in stride. Not leaving the M9 behind was a good move though.

I received your message regarding the newly attained Nikkor you mention here - congratulations! In answer to your question, don't know anything about it but I do know many of these older lenses render beautifully for portraits. I'm sure you'll make the most of it! Congratulations also on the other lenses you recently picked up!

Peter.

-- hide signature --

Peter | Prosophos
http://www.prosophos.com

Leo33
Senior MemberPosts: 2,668Gear list
Like?

Kevin, I was sorry to hear about your robbery. Fortunately your M9 is safe and sound!

Regards,
Leo33(Emil)

Leo33's gear list:Leo33's gear list
Fujifilm XF1
kewlguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,536Gear list
Like?

Sorry for what happened! Luckily your M9 and lenses were safe with you.

That's a hard lesson, and it's a good idea not to leave valuables in the car anywhere in the world

Btw, new Macbook Pro is coming this April, just in case...

-- hide signature --

kewlguy's gear list:kewlguy's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Nikon 1 J1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?

I know how you feel.
I lost the M9 and 6 lenses.

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Leica M8.2 Olympus E-5 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
KFoisy
Like?
In reply to MilSooper, Mar 6, 2012

Wow, I can't imagine having lost that. You must have been just horrified. Did your insurance cover it?

Kevin

MilSooper wrote:

I know how you feel.
I lost the M9 and 6 lenses.

MilSooper
Like?

Insurance covered it and I am morose over the loss but I patiently await and have started replacing the gear.

A 13" Mac Book Pro was part of the theft for me too but I've disabled the old one remotely and already replaced it.

I am happy I did not sell my M8.2 when I got the M9.

Leica M8.2 Olympus E-5 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
nathaniel m
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?

I hate to hear about the robbery, but apple is the best at keeping you up and running.

On a more photographic note, I love you shot of the sandwiches being delivered. Just the right amount of DoF, color, and sharpness. Really well done!

nathaniel m's gear list:nathaniel m's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
janlu
Senior MemberPosts: 6,406
Like?

Really sorry Kevin for what happened to you.... a MBP is a very big loss..

Btw i enjoyed your series and really love the first one !!

gianluca
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gianlucanardini/

KFoisy
Like?
In reply to janlu, Mar 6, 2012

Thanks Gianluca! An otherwise fun outing

KFoisy
Like?
In reply to MilSooper, Mar 6, 2012

Did you have a rider on your policy specifically for your camera gear? I have heard that often a policy has a very limited off-premise coverage for things like this.

MilSooper wrote:

Insurance covered it and I am morose over the loss but I patiently await and have started replacing the gear.

KFoisy
Like?
In reply to nathaniel m, Mar 6, 2012

Thanks Nathaniel...kind of makes me hungry

On a more photographic note, I love you shot of the sandwiches being delivered. Just the right amount of DoF, color, and sharpness. Really well done!

KFoisy
Like?
Re: To Kevin
In reply to Fenway, Mar 6, 2012

Thanks George .. it's great fun to tell a story with photos!!

Kevin

Fenway wrote:

Kevin, wow much drama--exciting lens, great sandwich, really nice image of walk back, and then, the unexpected ending. Something like a mystery story. But I'm sure happy that within 24 hours, you were back to normal. Nevertheless, enjoyed this set of images.

George

KFoisy
Like?
In reply to g2van, Mar 6, 2012

Thanks Peter, mine does cover it but I'm not sure what the cutoff $$ is. I think for full camera coverage, I need to have a rider on the policy.

Kevin

g2van wrote:

Most/some homeowners' insurance will cover lost/stolen household items including cameras, laptops, etc even when you are travelling but the usual exception is theft from a vehicle. So check your insurance, confirm with your insurance broker the scope of coverage, keep a list of your equipment with full description including serial numbers and don't keep any valuables in the car, no matter what/how long/where.

Also a good practice to prepare a list of valuables before each trip overseas (again complete with all necessary details) and have it signed before notary/school principal/doctor (depends on practice of your country of residence) -- this not only helps with dealing with customs agents upon return to prove these were acquired before the trip (therefore no taxes payable) but also helps with theft while on trip -- document shows you owned the equipment and was taking it along for the trip.

It's a pain but once you have all your gear on spreadsheet, it's a matter of adapting and printing.

Kevin

John Basso
Senior MemberPosts: 2,350Gear list
Like?
In reply to KFoisy, Mar 7, 2012

Hello Kevin;

Thieves are among the lowest form of life on earth.They steal world wide in the billion's.

Why work if you can steal! I hope you'll get over it soon.I had my share of the same deed's. Your photo's of Montreal present's a fine reportage of your visit,Special Schwartz's Deli Many years ago I would visit that place and your pictures brought back all the visit's I made to Montreal.By the way Celine Dion bought a stake in the establishment ,So I suppose : A Celine Smoked Meat Sandwich is on it's way?
I am getting hungry,so greetings to you from JB.

John Basso's gear list:John Basso's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6
MilSooper
Like?
In reply to KFoisy, Mar 7, 2012

No sir.

As long as anything I have with me away from home is not used professionally the homeowners covers it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads