Hey Olympus...retro is so passe...anyone there got a clue? Time to move on.(nt)

Started Mar 4, 2012 | Discussions
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,541Gear list
Like?
Hey Olympus...retro is so passe...anyone there got a clue? Time to move on.(nt)
Mar 4, 2012

no text

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
gulffish
Senior MemberPosts: 2,161Gear list
Like?
Re: Hey Olympus...retro is so passe...anyone there got a clue? Time to move on.(nt)
In reply to Corkcampbell, Mar 4, 2012

Here's something else you'll enjoy!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039040/
--
Kirk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,336Gear list
Like?
Re: Hey Olympus...retro is so passe...anyone there got a clue? Time to move on.(nt)

Based on the hype and excitement over the OMD, I'm not sure you're right. Time will tell.

Personally, I think choosing a camera based on how it looks (or how it makes you look), makes about as much sense as choosing a hammer based on the color of the handle. Both are tools to accomplish a task, and I'm more interested in how it accomplishes the task than how it looks while doing so.
--

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +12 more
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,291Gear list
Like?
Coming from someone who's buying.....

Corkcampbell wrote:

no text

the new Pentax I don't think you're really qualified to comment on style, or was it the designer label that got you all excited lol.
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
DrWu
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?

Of course retro is passe!! That IS the whole idea of retro. It would not be retro if it wasn´t passe. I suppose this is what you meant with your post?

But tell that also to VW.... they are bringing a new Beetle again. What about Mini Cooper... And you should have told that to those who decide about Academy awards.... A retro movie got 4 Oscars.... pity that it wasn´t completely shot in Academy ratio which is 4:3 Or was it? I havent´seen it yet.

Or if you didn´t mean that I suppose your post got lost for 8 months and surfaced only now:) Becaus to me O-MD isn´t a retro camera. E-P1, E-P2 and E-P3 are. E-PL and E-PM aren´t and neither is O-MD unless you think that re-using old series name OM is enough to make it a "retro" camera.

I handled both E-M5 and Fuji X-Pro1 on Friday and E-M5 felt in my hands 100% modern camera full of very modern techology. X-Pro1 ... that is what I would call a retro. By the way both cameras felt absolutely great in hand and the X-Pro1 despite of being a retro camera (also more solid and bulky) feels even better.

Human hands and position of eyes on head haven´t changed that much since the 1970´s I suppose. If something worked ergonomywise then I guess it might work still for a couple of decades.

twonker
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,637
Like?
In reply to DrWu, Mar 4, 2012

DrWu wrote:

But tell that also to VW.... they are bringing a new Beetle again. What about Mini Cooper... And you should have told that to those who decide about Academy awards.... A retro movie got 4 Oscars.... pity that it wasn´t completely shot in Academy ratio which is 4:3 Or was it? I havent´seen it yet.

Yes it was

Alistair
--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twonker/

illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?

have to agree on this, Olympus are a forward looking company, the retro designs get a hell of a lot wet knickers from the gear heads.........but it's so boring
--
working as intended

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM +4 more
whtchocla7e
Contributing MemberPosts: 927Gear list
Like?
In reply to illy, Mar 4, 2012

illy wrote:

have to agree on this, Olympus are a forward looking company, the retro designs get a hell of a lot wet knickers from the gear heads.........but it's so boring

Only boring if one spends more time looking at the camera than taking pictures..

krugorg
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?

Corkcampbell wrote:

no text

I think you must be right - seems like there is no market enthusiasm for the Fuji X-Pro1 or the E-M5. Stupid Fuji and Olympus marketing departments!

Yeah, seriously, think you are not right on what the market wants right now. We can all say what we want about features and capabilities, but I think there is some extra love heaped on the cameras with retro styling.

guizai
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to DrWu, Mar 4, 2012

My best experiences with SLR was Olympus OM 1, what is wrong bring back the lovely little machine in digital form. Some times old is new again.
--
th

illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
In reply to whtchocla7e, Mar 4, 2012

whtchocla7e wrote:

illy wrote:

Only boring if one spends more time looking at the camera than taking pictures..

i don't let taking pictures get in the way of looking at cameras
--
working as intended

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM +4 more
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,244Gear list
Like?
It could be worse.

We could all buy things based on how they look rather than how they work.

Frankly, the "retro" look of the E-M5 goes pretty well with modern designs. Look at the Apple Macbook Pro. Silver, black, sharp corners where appropriate, rounded corners where appropriate. I see a lot of design cues in common between the E-M5 and Apple products (just to take an example of the company which is pretty much always considered to be the vanguard of modern industrial design). We just think the E-M5 looks retro because, well, cameras used to look like that. Just because it doesn't look like a bubble doesn't mean it's not modern (for one, bubbles went out of vogue in 2003 when Appls stopped putting CRT screens in iMacs).

I'm sure that if cameras had never looked anything like the OM-1, we'd be fawning over (or hating) this design today for how modern it looks. Because it is modern. It's a modern interpretation on a classical design. Look at the arced corners of the viewfinder/hotshoe hump, there's no 1970s SLR that ever looked like that.

But ultimately, the aesthetic design of the camera is secondary to the function of the camera, as long as the design doesn't detract from the function. I might have bought a PEN a long time ago if they weren't hell-bent on only including usable control wheels on the highest end models and forcing you to shell out an extra $250 for the luxury of a viewfinder that you couldn't use at the same time as a flash. Pretty cameras, though, especially the E-PL2.
--
http://www.photoklarno.com

Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
A3000 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +4 more
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,267Gear list
Like?

Awww... But it's so tiny and cute! :o The only way Olympus can top it is by making the next model come with actual kittens and puppies taking the pictures for you.

Corkcampbell wrote:

no text

jquagga
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?
Re: It could be worse.
In reply to Klarno, Mar 4, 2012

Well, I think retro for a computer would be beige with a CRT on it. Apple isn't much like that these days!

I figure Oly did the OM-D as a differentiator. They want it to be something different from Panasonic and something different from their Pen lines which look like classic point and shoots with a real big lens strapped on them.

The real story isn't the camera which I don't really think is that impressive. I think what it really makes apparent is that Olympus has a successful marketing operation where as Panasonic hasn't a clue how to market their cameras (and almost actively works to drive folks away from their great tech with horrible horrible customer service). Oly's "Pen Ready" campaign got me interested in m43. There's a lot of excitement in some folks for the OM-D and that's a good thing for Oly.

stimmer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,137
Like?
People buy pretty things...

Ask Apple about that. it works believe it or not.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,315
Like?
Wait a couple of months, and then check sales results

Then we'll see who has a clue, and who does not.

Personally, I never liked the blob of jello styling that seems to have become popular with dslr's. I find the EM5's crisp lines to be rather appealing.

And, yes, I'm getting one in silver... because it's pretty.

gulffish
Senior MemberPosts: 2,161Gear list
Like?
In reply to guizai, Mar 4, 2012

I'll say here, here to that. The OM-1 was a terrific SLR and also the first one I owned. Very pleased to see the reincarnation! To me a look good, feel good combo.
--
Kirk

Greg Pavlov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,878
Like?

Sounds like Yogi's "It's deja vu all over again"....could it be retro if it wasn't passe?

Panda9
Regular MemberPosts: 423
Like?
In reply to Macx, Mar 4, 2012

Macx wrote:

Awww... But it's so tiny and cute! :o The only way Olympus can top it is by making the next model come with actual kittens and puppies taking the pictures for you.

... or better yet, kittens and puppies taking pictures of other kittens and puppies while you watch, then posting them to DPR for you.

Panda9
Regular MemberPosts: 423
Like?
In reply to Bob Meyer, Mar 4, 2012

Bob Meyer wrote:

Based on the hype and excitement over the OMD, I'm not sure you're right. Time will tell.

Personally, I think choosing a camera based on how it looks (or how it makes you look), makes about as much sense as choosing a hammer based on the color of the handle. Both are tools to accomplish a task, and I'm more interested in how it accomplishes the task than how it looks while doing so.

I agree in principle. However, if there is no or minimal sacrifice in ergonomics made to provide some style, then I'm all for adding some style. Whether or not sacrifices have been made in the E-M5 for style is something each person will have to decide for themselves.

If I were carrying my hammer in public, and given a choice between a hammer that is orange versus one that is black, I'll go with the black one every time. If they both do a good job hammering nails, I'd rather do it in a color I like.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads