Natural? Vivid? Etc for. XZ-1 how about DOF

Started Mar 4, 2012 | Discussions
Dcummings24
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?
Natural? Vivid? Etc for. XZ-1 how about DOF
Mar 4, 2012

Curious what people use mostly. I always used. Vivid on my e620 with contrast + 1 and saturation -1. Thoughts? Do master people just use natural??

Olympus E-620 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,264Gear list
Like?
Re: Natural? Vivid? Etc for. XZ-1 how about DOF
In reply to Dcummings24, Mar 4, 2012

I use muted, with contrast and saturation +1.
--
Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,316Gear list
Like?

I always shoot RAW files, so I just leave it in default "natural" setting and process images in Aperture 3. So far I am happy with the result. If you want shallow DOF you need to get closer too subject and use wide aperture (f1.8).

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Chris43
Contributing MemberPosts: 568Gear list
Like?
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Mar 4, 2012

I've just got my XZ-1 also, and am starting to play about with it. After 30 years of only using an SLR (Olympus, Pentax, K-M, Sony), this little gem is a revelation. OK, it has some downsides, mostly noise compared to the larger APS-C sensor, but a quick touch of the LR3's and that's fine.

I took all my shots so far in RAW, but now wil be trying out the jepg engine and see what settings I prefer. This thread should be very helpful, so thanks to the OP for starting it. It'll be great to know what people use, and of course why, please don't forget the why!

Chris43's gear list:Chris43's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
Sho-Bud
Regular MemberPosts: 333Gear list
Like?

I shoot in RAW, but develop in Olympus Viewer 2 with these settings:

Muted, saturation +1, Contrast +1 and fine adjustment +1, Sharpness +1 and fine adjustment +1. Noise Filter off. Gradation Normal. Distortion correction on Auto. False Color suppression is On (however, I don't see any differences with the last setting on or off). These settings give me natural looking, crisp images, without looking harsh or over sharpened.
--

1. ##Olympus XZ-1, Olympus SP550UZ; Olympus 2003 Ferrari Edition###

Dcummings24
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?
In reply to Sho-Bud, Mar 4, 2012

Thanks a bunch. I might just do RAW and jpeg Natural.

Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
that would depend on the scene ,light condition and purpose
In reply to Dcummings24, Mar 5, 2012

I will never increase saturation when taking a portrait photo but there are times specially when the day is kind of overcast where I'll increase the saturation, increasing sharpness with jpeg on digital cameras is a must unless you do PP work, I always increase the sharpness a bit, just test it and see what looks sharp and natural, good luck
--
Berghof G.C.

John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,260Gear list
Like?
Re: that would depend on the scene ,light condition and purpose
In reply to Berghof, Mar 5, 2012

JPEG Natural works for me and it's the setting that DPreview recommended in their review of the XZ-1. Of course, with RAW you can add many different settings in post, including some that are not in the camera settings.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads