Big news : Radio trigger for PENTAX

Started Mar 4, 2012 | Discussions
canderanet
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Big news : Radio trigger for PENTAX
Mar 4, 2012

Hi, I got news about wireless radio trigger for pentax p-ttl and high speed sync called aokatec ak-ttl, please check out here http://www.aokatec.com

canderanet's gear list:canderanet's gear list
Pentax Optio S6 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,070
Like?
Re: Big news : Radio trigger for PENTAX
In reply to canderanet, Mar 4, 2012

Very cool. I can't wait to see the product as it will be a first for the Pentax system.

Thank you
Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jhpatmore
Regular MemberPosts: 358
Like?

Hopefully some news soon?

tcom
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,939Gear list
Like?

Thank you, this is really some good news.
--
Dominique

International Press Association
http://ipaimpress.com/author/dominique/

http://www.pbase.com/tcom
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dschreckling/

tcom's gear list:tcom's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Pentax 645D Nikon D4 Leica M Typ 240 Pentax K-3 +24 more
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,002Gear list
Like?

Great news!

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
NhanPiano
Regular MemberPosts: 245
Like?
In reply to canderanet, Mar 5, 2012

Thanks for the info. Now I can shoot on-location portraits in direct sunlight with my Pentax 645D camera and 150mm f/2.8 lens in high-speed sync mode. Woohoo!

Ed
http://www.EdwardNguyenPhotography.com

Steve1307
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
In reply to canderanet, Mar 5, 2012

The aokatec link pooped itself when I clicked it?

but I also googled this article

http://www.lightingrumours.com/aokatec-ttl-trigger-for-nikon-canon-sony-pentax-1875

says planned for Feb 2012 but there is some delay in development......

Steve1307's gear list:Steve1307's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +13 more
Wanganuilad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,175Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve1307, Mar 9, 2012

Where does it say anything about P-TTL ?
Just because it mentions Pentax in the blur...wishful thinking ?

Pete
--
K-5 some Len

canderanet
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wanganuilad, Mar 10, 2012

@pete :
Check out http://www.aokatec.com
You'll find out
AK-TTL  Radio Wireless TTL flash trigger

For Nikon, Canon, Pentax & Sony DSLR cameras and Speedlights

But still, we need to wait for their release and sell it on market to make sure.

(wish it will be release soon! Can't wait to try....😄)

canderanet's gear list:canderanet's gear list
Pentax Optio S6 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3
kiwizznz
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
In reply to canderanet, Mar 12, 2012

Sent them an email. Seems to mimic the communication directly from the flash. This would mean no HSS with just the popup flash. I have asked them for more details.

So far:

Thanks for your inquiry. Yes, we tested and sure AK-TTL support Pentax P-TTL.

The AK-TTL convert optical signals to radio, it retain all functions of original optical wireless system, giving it a range of up to 110 meter/360ft.

For Pentax pttl, need turn on pop-up flash or have a master/controler flash on camera. AK-TTL will compatible with Pentax, Metz, Sigma flashes.
The AK-TTL also can work as a simple flash trigger.

The AK-TTL will be released within one month. The estimated price will be US$160/set.

jonny1976
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,994Gear list
Like?
In reply to kiwizznz, Mar 12, 2012

The problem i see with pentax system is that lacking ratio control originally it will be useless in practice. i mean if u want pttl and high sync with radio is good, but pentax lack ratio control for manual and pttl and so it will impossible to control single flash power.

It's really a pity and shame pentax is the only camera maker with a flash system without ratio in wireless. every maker has it. We don't need a 560 5,6 we need a serious flash system.

kiwizznz wrote:

Sent them an email. Seems to mimic the communication directly from the flash. This would mean no HSS with just the popup flash. I have asked them for more details.

So far:

The AK-TTL convert optical signals to radio, it retain all functions of original optical wireless system, giving it a range of up to 110 meter/360ft.

For Pentax pttl, need turn on pop-up flash or have a master/controler flash on camera. AK-TTL will compatible with Pentax, Metz, Sigma flashes.

The AK-TTL will be released within one month. The estimated price will be US$160/set.

jonny1976's gear list:jonny1976's gear list
Nikon D2X
Russell Evans
Like?
In reply to kiwizznz, Mar 12, 2012

kiwizznz wrote:

So far:

If it works with the pop up, it probably will work an external flash unless the unit was built in such a way that physically only the pop up flash could be used.

Thank you
Russell

Russell Evans
Like?
In reply to jonny1976, Mar 12, 2012

jonny1976 wrote:

It's really a pity and shame pentax is the only camera maker with a flash system without ratio in wireless.

The Radio Popper Jr. are said to be very usable on any camera. I think I would go to that solution to get remote manual control. Nikon and Canon TTL flashes are a lot less expensive than P-TTL units.

Thank you
Russell

jonny1976
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Mar 12, 2012

they are usable only for can ikon for ratio power control and high sync speed.

they cost 480 dollar and for pentax are a waste of money. nikon ancd canon are not that cheap.

the problem is they are full of feature while pentax miss the ratio and group control for wireless and also a FEC feature aka canon.

those chinese remote are anyway a good solution for pentax at least for high sync flash and remote pttl with just one flash.

personally at the moment i use elinchrom sky port.

Russell Evans wrote:

jonny1976 wrote:

It's really a pity and shame pentax is the only camera maker with a flash system without ratio in wireless.

The Radio Popper Jr. are said to be very usable on any camera. I think I would go to that solution to get remote manual control. Nikon and Canon TTL flashes are a lot less expensive than P-TTL units.

Thank you
Russell

Nikon D2X
Russell Evans
Like?
In reply to jonny1976, Mar 12, 2012

jonny1976 wrote:

The squelch control works independently of the camera and works fine on Pentax cameras as a result. The flashes have to be Canon or Nikon TTL units, but even so they work with the Pentax camera so it doesn't matter.

HSS can be worked around with the new Metz firmware, or new flashes with the Servo mode. If you have an istD you can just use the on board flash as it has HSS support. For the other Pentax cameras you'll need a external flash on the camera that is capable of HSS. The Metz flashes has flash durations of 1/125s at full power so with the HSS flash to trigger them, you'll have full power HSS coverage.

they cost 480 dollar and for pentax are a waste of money.

The Radio Popper Jr Studio set is $169.95. The RPCude is another $29.95

http://shop.radiopopper.com/radiopopperjrxstudiokitusca.aspx
http://shop.radiopopper.com/radiopopperrpcube.aspx

Old review of the Radio Popper Jr Studio set on Pentax K20D.

pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/75227-my-radiopopper-jrx-studio-review.html

Thank you
Russell

jonny1976
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Mar 13, 2012

i dont understand the first part of using canon flashes on pentax. i have seen the radio popper make t/l remote controller and simple controller that can change power of alien bee and paul buff only flash.

i use all the workaround you are talking, and so far ok. I plan to buy soon an elinchrom quadra, so i could change power from the camera.

As a professional i like workaround up to a certain point. These new remote seems promising in doing what pocket wizard and radio popper due for can ikon, but the lack of feature in pentax wireless system are the point. Ratio and group are simple feature that a firmware can add to the system.

Russell Evans wrote:

jonny1976 wrote:

The squelch control works independently of the camera and works fine on Pentax cameras as a result. The flashes have to be Canon or Nikon TTL units, but even so they work with the Pentax camera so it doesn't matter.

HSS can be worked around with the new Metz firmware, or new flashes with the Servo mode. If you have an istD you can just use the on board flash as it has HSS support. For the other Pentax cameras you'll need a external flash on the camera that is capable of HSS. The Metz flashes has flash durations of 1/125s at full power so with the HSS flash to trigger them, you'll have full power HSS coverage.

they cost 480 dollar and for pentax are a waste of money.

The Radio Popper Jr Studio set is $169.95. The RPCude is another $29.95

http://shop.radiopopper.com/radiopopperjrxstudiokitusca.aspx
http://shop.radiopopper.com/radiopopperrpcube.aspx

Old review of the Radio Popper Jr Studio set on Pentax K20D.

pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/75227-my-radiopopper-jrx-studio-review.html

Thank you
Russell

Nikon D2X
Russell Evans
Like?
In reply to jonny1976, Mar 13, 2012

jonny1976 wrote:

i dont understand the first part of using canon flashes on pentax.

The Jr uses the squelch pin on the Canon and Nikon TTL flashes to control the power output of the flash. All the intelligence to do this is in the receiver. The transmitter on the camera only uses one input from the camera, the closure of the main pin. The Jr transmitter can talk to the receiver and tell it what setting to use to trigger the squelch pin, thus controlling the power output. The photographer manually sets the power output from the trigger on the camera, never having to touch the flash again after turning it on. If that doesn't explain it, read the stuff on the Radio Popper site about the Jr Studio set, as all the information is there, and probably explained better.

Thank you
Russell

kenyee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,509Gear list
Like?
I've used the Radiopopper JrX Studios for a few years on the K10D/K20D
In reply to jonny1976, Mar 16, 2012

Works great.

HSS is a hack to lower ambient. Run a studio strobe like an Einstein/VML combo w/ a 3 stop ND filter instead

Controlling power by fiddling w/ 3 dials is craploads faster than fiddling w/ TTL on your camera. And if you're using TTL to control ratios, you still have weak control of how lighting works. Use a light meter and do manual control instead unless you're doing events in which case it's easier to do the black foamie trick w/ an on-cam flash and cross-light w/ studio strobes...

p.s., the AK-TTL flashes sound like a copy of the RP PX V1 system...V2 requires that they know the protocol instead of just relaying optical signals...

kenyee's gear list:kenyee's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads