NIKON D800 Shutter sound ..

Started Mar 4, 2012 | Discussions
tomboy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022Gear list
Like?
NIKON D800 Shutter sound ..
Mar 4, 2012

D700 has a annoying shutter sound ..I really dislike it .Sound like a cheap camera

I wonder if D800 is not as bad as D700 being loud ..

I wondering if the D800 as a quite mode setting like the new Canon5DMark3

tomboy's gear list:tomboy's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7S
Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Frank Stein
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?
Re: NIKON D800 Shutter sound ..
In reply to tomboy, Mar 4, 2012

tomboy wrote:

D700 has a annoying shutter sound ..I really dislike it .Sound like a cheap camera

It sounds like you find anything and everything to moan and groan and complain about. Sounds like a cheap camera? You're crazy.

Aren't you the one that started a thread about sleeping with your camera between you and your girlfriend?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tomboy
Like?
In reply to Frank Stein, Mar 4, 2012

Read my ad ..there nothing said about the camera is cheap ..i have a d700 son ..i only mention i dislike the sound of the shutter like so many others feel the same way

if u can not provided a decent answer then not to respond..OK.. be a good boy
and Santa may bring you some toys for Christmas's

take care
and good luck with your attitude problems

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,958Gear list
Like?

tomboy wrote:

Read my ad ..there nothing said about the camera is cheap ..i have a d700 son ..i only mention i dislike the sound of the shutter like so many others feel the same way

if u can not provided a decent answer then not to respond..OK.. be a good boy
and Santa may bring you some toys for Christmas's

take care
and good luck with your attitude problems

Frank can be annoying but your post does have a sort of whining tone to it. As annoying as you find the D700 sound, I believe that is just the Nikon sound. Nikon cameras have loud shutters. I don't know why but they do. I have had an F2, D100, D200, D3, and D3s. They're all louder than I would like. I doubt Nikon has changed much with the D4 and D800. The D3s has a quiet mode shutter setting. This improves things but is only available in single shot mode. I believe this mode is in the D800.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
McCool69
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?

tomboy wrote:

I wondering if the D800 as a quite mode setting like the new Canon5DMark3

Probably - both the D300s, D3s, D7000 and D5100 have a quiet mode, so I guess Nikon adds it as a standard feature to most of their DSLRs from now on.

B Bretz
Regular MemberPosts: 403
Like?
D800 has quiet shutter release setting
In reply to McCool69, Mar 4, 2012
wy2lam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,996Gear list
Like?
In reply to michaeladawson, Mar 4, 2012

michaeladawson wrote:

I believe that is just the Nikon sound. Nikon cameras have loud shutters.

Not true unless you don't count D50/70/80/90 as Nikon cameras.

wy2lam's gear list:wy2lam's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,958Gear list
Like?
In reply to wy2lam, Mar 4, 2012

wy2lam wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

I believe that is just the Nikon sound. Nikon cameras have loud shutters.

Not true unless you don't count D50/70/80/90 as Nikon cameras.

I guess I should have limited my comment to the Nikon high end cameras.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
GlobalGuyUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 1,126Gear list
Like?
In reply to michaeladawson, Mar 4, 2012

"Not true unless you don't count D50/70/80/90 as Nikon cameras."

Don't forget the super silent D40 -- which didn't even have a shutter, but makes excellent family photos! Man.. that camera is still wonderful for what little bit it is.

Anyway, I 100% agree with the original post -- D700 has a horrible sound. Its not cheap, it probably has the same sound as Nikon slapping stacks of dollar bills on their desk. But its completely distracting and probably the worst feature (at quiet events) of the otherwise excellent D700.

These manufacturers need to invent a truly silent shutter mode. Like a bit of rubber on a spring nested in a softpad or something that gets activated when in silent mode to absorb mechanical impacts internally.

Only 1 frame per second and a truly silent shutter mode would be worth it.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,

GlobalGuyUSA

GlobalGuyUSA's gear list:GlobalGuyUSA's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,482
Like?
5DM3 has a new quiet shutter mode
In reply to GlobalGuyUSA, Mar 4, 2012

GlobalGuyUSA wrote:

These manufacturers need to invent a truly silent shutter mode. Like a bit of rubber on a spring nested in a softpad or something that gets activated when in silent mode to absorb mechanical impacts internally.

It's not truly silent but has a nice muffled sound and more importantly supports continuous mode shooting as well, which I think is a first for a DSLR. Here's a video demonstration of it..starts at 1:43

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/02/canon-announces-eos-5d-mark-iii-22-3mp-full-frame-sensor-6-fps/

tomboy
Like?
Re: D800 has quiet shutter release setting
In reply to B Bretz, Mar 4, 2012

thank you for your information the new d800 shutter sound has been improved ..
not being a annoying sound like d700

this makes me happy to hear and i expect many others feel the same way

again thanks

MattiD80
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
D700 louder then d80/d90 shutter sound?

I love my D80 cause it has a very traditional shutter sound (a natural click sound). The eos 400d, i don't like at all, it doenst click, it's just an electronic wheel that makes quite a bit of sound when just moving, but the ticks are more silent. Are you guys telling me the D700 is a lot louder? Cause in Youtube movies it just sounds like D80. Just out of curiosity.

gurbally
Contributing MemberPosts: 874
Like?
In reply to Frank Stein, Mar 4, 2012

D700 definitely has annoying shutter sound.

Frank Stein wrote:

tomboy wrote:

It sounds like you find anything and everything to moan and groan and complain about. Sounds like a cheap camera? You're crazy.

Aren't you the one that started a thread about sleeping with your camera between you and your girlfriend?

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
That's Loud???
In reply to gurbally, Mar 4, 2012

I would question whether those who claim that the D700 shutter sound is loud have even used the D700. If that sounds loud to you, then you have never obviously never heard the 5D Mk II or 7D clack clack sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2qU9XM2z9U

Anyway, it takes about two seconds looking at D800 specs to see that it also has a Q (Quiet) Mode like the D7000 or if you really wanted to actually hear the D800 shutter I'm certain that YouTube has a demo. But I suspect that you'd prefer to make a forum thread to show off, try to impress, or get your digs in.

By the way, the Nikon D7000 had a Quite Mode setting way before the 5D Mk III.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Pygmi
Regular MemberPosts: 249
Like?
Yes. That's Loud
In reply to marike6, Mar 4, 2012

marike6 wrote:

I would question whether those who claim that the D700 shutter sound is loud have even used the D700.

Have you? I have owned several Nikon DSLRs and have not used many that are louder than D700. D300 is.

If that sounds loud to you, then you have never obviously never heard the 5D Mk II or 7D clack clack sound.

And how does that make D700 any less or more loud? In general I have experienced that Canon's are less loud. But I must admit that I don't know much about different Canon models...

Sounds right....and that is loud to me. As well as so many other people.

But I suspect that you'd prefer to make a forum thread to show off, try to impress, or get your digs in.

None of my business, but this is ???????????

By the way, the Nikon D7000 had a Quite Mode setting way before the 5D Mk III.

Just listened the 5DMkIII silent mode sound in the web. Sounds truly pretty silent. Quiet mode in Nikon high-ends cameras is not very quiet. Don't know about D7000, but that is not high-end...and at least older lower-end Nikon's were very quiet by nature.

Pygmi
Regular MemberPosts: 249
Like?
Re: D700 louder then d80/d90 shutter sound?
In reply to MattiD80, Mar 4, 2012

MattiD80 wrote:

I love my D80 cause it has a very traditional shutter sound (a natural click sound). The eos 400d, i don't like at all, it doenst click, it's just an electronic wheel that makes quite a bit of sound when just moving, but the ticks are more silent. Are you guys telling me the D700 is a lot louder? Cause in Youtube movies it just sounds like D80. Just out of curiosity.

Haven't used the D80, but if it is even close to D70, then the answer is: Yes.

D70 was my first Nikon DSLR and it was very silent when compared to anything else I have owned after that (D2x, D300, D700).

Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,482
Like?
The D700's shutter is obscenely loud

marike6 wrote:

I would question whether those who claim that the D700 shutter sound is loud have even used the D700. If that sounds loud to you, then you have never obviously never heard the 5D Mk II or 7D clack clack sound.

That video doesn't portray the D700's shutter sound very well. The 5DM2's shutter is much quieter, as is nearly every other DSLR compared to the D700. I attended a wedding once where the photog used a D700 and its shutter clicks reverberated through the church to the point of being distracting to the ceremony.

alan54g
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
Re: That's Loud???

I know a worse sound that the D700 could have....No sound at all when you go to fire it! The broken sound.... Dead silence.............

alan54g's gear list:alan54g's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
I heard it today - no more machine gun fire :)

No one will turn around in a church any more when you take a picture of the happy couple at the alter anyway Had a pre-prod D800 in my hands today, shutter sound and excessive noise is fixed!

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
MattiD80
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
Re: D700 louder then d80/d90 shutter sound?
In reply to Pygmi, Mar 4, 2012

Pygmi wrote:

MattiD80 wrote:

Haven't used the D80, but if it is even close to D70, then the answer is: Yes.

D70 was my first Nikon DSLR and it was very silent when compared to anything else I have owned after that (D2x, D300, D700).

I listened to some more youtube movies of D700 shutter sound. To be honest the D700 sound more hallow, making the shutter sound louder due to some echo. At least that's my impression. Without the echo, i would say D80 and D700 sound similar (although without a side by side comparison, I think the D700 is a little louder, but can't be sure. It's the sound after the mirror comes down, that sound 'different' to me (more pronounced).

PS D80 is pretty similar to D70/D90 models.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads