D800 changing focus screen

Started Mar 3, 2012 | Discussions
Kolen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015Gear list
Like?
D800 changing focus screen
Mar 3, 2012

Hi. I am using 5D II and when 5D III is out, I notice there's no focus screen changing. I need that in 5D II for manual focusing fast lens. Did D800 have it? Thanks.

Kolen's gear list:Kolen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D800E Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +31 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
surf1
Regular MemberPosts: 149Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 changing focus screen
In reply to Kolen, Mar 3, 2012

Hi Kolen!

I am not sure if the D800 allows the exchange of the focusing screen, but it has a function built in, which they call the "electronic rangefinder"

With that function you get a visual signal during manual focusing, indicating perfect focus for the selected focus point as well as the "overshoot" to both sides.

That way you can use the AF sensor and when turning the focus ring on the lens you will see when the image at the selected point is in focus.

I don't think you will feel the need for a separate focusing screen.

Cheers! Surf

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joseph
Senior MemberPosts: 1,077Gear list
Like?
May be KatzEye will make one for D800?

May be KatzEye will make one for D800 later?

Joseph's gear list:Joseph's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 +45 more
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,707
Like?
Re: May be KatzEye will make one for D800?
In reply to Joseph, Mar 3, 2012

That might well be possible!

Michel

Joseph wrote:

May be KatzEye will make one for D800 later?

-- hide signature --
Leos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,066
Like?

Kolen wrote:

Hi. I am using 5D II and when 5D III is out, I notice there's no focus screen changing. I need that in 5D II for manual focusing fast lens. Did D800 have it? Thanks.

It probably can be changed but we always heard that third party focus screens was harder to make for 100% viewfinder cameras like the D3. Nikons stock screens is usually pretty good for manual focus though. On the D3s screen I can reliably (but not easily) focus a f1.4 lens. On the D700 I cant, so I installed a Canon S type screen which is very precise but much darker than the D3 finder. As it stands, I am confused as to why, but I think that in the pro cameras (D3s and also some older Canons series I used) they use a much better prism or something. The differences is very clear , so even though DOF is shown for maximum f2,5-f2.8 the contrast at the exact point of focus is clear at larger apertures.

Leos
Like?
In reply to M Lammerse, Mar 3, 2012

M Lammerse wrote:

That might well be possible!

They said they couldnt make one for D3/x because of the 100% viewfinder coverage. The same might apply to D800

Joseph
Senior MemberPosts: 1,077Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leos, Mar 3, 2012

That's too bad...

Leos wrote:

They said they couldnt make one for D3/x because of the 100% viewfinder coverage. The same might apply to D800

Joseph's gear list:Joseph's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 +45 more
Ilkka Nissilä
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,107
Like?

They probably won't. None of the 100% viewfinder full frame cameras has Katz Eye screens for.

M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,707
Like?

Oh.

100% that is the reason...?
Thank you for the information.

Michel

Joseph wrote:
That's too bad...

Leos wrote:

-- hide signature --
Ilkka Nissilä
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,107
Like?
In reply to Leos, Mar 3, 2012

I believe these 3rd parties do not actually make the screens. They might cut them from a bigger piece. The problem is that all the manual focus Nikons with 100% viewfinders have condenser screens which are much too thick to fit into a DSLR. So there is now raw material for making these screens. If the manufacturers actually started making their own focusing screens then it would be possible but they probably don't have the resources / equipment to do so.

An F6 screen can be fitted, but it's not any better for manual focus than other modern AF screens...

Flashlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,216
Like?
In reply to surf1, Mar 3, 2012

Yes, but with the cameras I used (D300/D700) is not accurate enough for f/1.4 apertures.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 10,807
Like?
Nikon DK-17M Magnifying Eyepiece

I expect the DK-17M to fit the D800. If it does, it should help with manual focus on the Nikon screen. I've used one on the D700 and found that I could manually focus with it, where I couldn't without it.

The Nikon DK-17M Magnifying Eyepiece for D3, D2 & D1 Series, D700, F6, F5, F4 & F3HP Cameras increases the viewfinder magnification by approximately 1.2x for added viewing precision.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387769-REG/Nikon_4793_DK_17M_Magnifying_Eyepiece_for.html

-- hide signature --
Kolen
Like?
Re: Nikon DK-17M Magnifying Eyepiece
In reply to Robin Casady, Mar 5, 2012

Thanks for everyone's information. What is the electronic rangefinder really doing? It has a certain electronic "needle" showing you how accurate the focus is??

And Let say, for example, I use the Samyang 85/1.4 with AF chip. How is it going to work? e.g. I can set the aperture via the body? So the aperture ring will no longer works?
Thanks.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D800E Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +31 more
PicMax
Regular MemberPosts: 479
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Mar 5, 2012

Did you check Nikon D800 system chart?

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/compatibility01.htm

Max
--
~*~* http://dptnt.com *~*~
Digital Photography Tips and Techniques

Robin Casady
Like?
In reply to Kolen, Mar 5, 2012

Kolen wrote:

Thanks for everyone's information. What is the electronic rangefinder really doing? It has a certain electronic "needle" showing you how accurate the focus is??

In the viewfinder there is a dot and two triangles (arrows). The dot lights up when you are in focus. One of the arrows lights when you are out of focus and indicates whether the focus is too close or too distant.

They also function when AF is in effect.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Robin Casady
Like?
In reply to PicMax, Mar 5, 2012

PicMax wrote:

Did you check Nikon D800 system chart?

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/compatibility01.htm

It is there, top right.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Leos
Like?
In reply to Ilkka Nissilä, Mar 5, 2012

Ilkka Nissilä wrote:

I believe these 3rd parties do not actually make the screens. They might cut them from a bigger piece. The problem is that all the manual focus Nikons with 100% viewfinders have condenser screens which are much too thick to fit into a DSLR. So there is now raw material for making these screens. If the manufacturers actually started making their own focusing screens then it would be possible but they probably don't have the resources / equipment to do so.

An F6 screen can be fitted, but it's not any better for manual focus than other modern AF screens...

Brightscreen makes the screen themselves and also have one for the D3. Expensive stuff though.

Kolen
Like?
In reply to Leos, May 4, 2012

Hi. I got a D800E yesterday. I got a F2.8 lens and it's ok to MF on it. But I am planning to buy some MF F1.4 lenses to use on it. I tired the focusing arrows (electronic rangefinder) and find it very difficult to follow it. I have to stare at the arrows and dot to focus, but then that makes me difficult to focus on the image itself, eg composition.

I have been using a 5D II and using a focus screen that can see the real dof. And that allows me to MF very fast and shot some moderate action shot.

Do anyone has tips that can focus that fast and focus on the image (rather than staring at the dot)?

And some of you said there's some 3rd party focusing screen, are there any news on that?

Thanks so much. That's very important for me and if MF won't work smoothly at F1.4 then I may need to go back to 5D II only for its focus screen...

Kolen
Like?
In reply to Kolen, May 4, 2012

By the way, how less dof one can see on the focus screen? Some said F4, some said f2.8 or 2.5, which is right?

Kolen
Like?
In reply to Kolen, May 4, 2012

And can the D800E use auto selection AF point when MF for the electronic range finder? On 5D II I can leave the AF points as auto and as I turn the focus ring the AF points that are in focus will lights up

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads