wow, this forum has imploded!

Started Mar 3, 2012 | Discussions
Jack A. Zucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,539
Like?
wow, this forum has imploded!
Mar 3, 2012

Was it this lame when the 5D Mk II was released?

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,598Gear list
Like?
Yep
In reply to Jack A. Zucker, Mar 3, 2012

Jack A. Zucker wrote:

But, have you been to the Nikon forum?

This turmoil is understandable given the fact that these companies mange to produce a couple of FF cameras every 3-4-5 years and folk who didn't get the feature they wanted in this iteration will have to wait 3-4-5 years.
--

Rick Knepper, photographer, photography never for sale, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boudro_
Senior MemberPosts: 1,168Gear list
Like?
Re: wow, this forum has imploded!

Jack A. Zucker wrote:

yes, it was all the same grad students with no income that nikon pays 20$ per hour to be here and have e-pinions. it is hilarious and annoying.

boudro_'s gear list:boudro_'s gear list
Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX210 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Bassman2003
Contributing MemberPosts: 645
Like?
In reply to boudro_, Mar 3, 2012

It was not this lame because the Canon folks felt like they got what they wanted (at the time & sort of) with the 5DMKII.

cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
In reply to Bassman2003, Mar 3, 2012

Bassman2003 wrote:

It was not this lame because the Canon folks felt like they got what they wanted (at the time & sort of) with the 5DMKII.

And the 5DIII is pretty much what everyone's been saying they wanted since the II came out. More FPS, dual card slots, and a pro AF system - which is, by an enormous margin, the thing I've seen mentioned most often in "wish lists" for the 5DIII. The big flaw is the price - the rest of the complaints are minor. Other than that, it seems like everyone's just having serious megapixel envy.

David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,330Gear list
Like?

Jack A. Zucker wrote:

Yep... Best to just disapear for a while until all the trolling and stupidity stops. I think it was even worse when the 7D came out.

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Al Giordano
Contributing MemberPosts: 844Gear list
Like?

Couldn't agree more.

I'm very disappointed in this forum. I can't really say what I feel.

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
CBuff
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?

Jack A. Zucker wrote:

When the 5d2 was introduced, we were drooling like crazy, watching and rewatching reverie by Laforet. Many of us placed preorder that same day,the upgrade from 5d was impressive (75% more MP, high ISO IQ, first time 1080pvideo with large sensor, live view, cheaper than 5d, no direct competition, and on and on....

Now, most of this same group of fans who loved the 5d2, are very disappointed with what appears to be a very minor update, less appealing than the competition. We are astounded how canon lost their 3year competitive edge in 3 years...

Wow...

CBuff's gear list:CBuff's gear list
Canon PowerShot S400 Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Canon EOS D60 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +3 more
kimvette
Senior MemberPosts: 1,218
Like?

It's always been like this. I hate the fact that every w4nk with an opinion has to start a new thread covering the same exact topic that is already covered by at least three existing threads on the front page. I mean, they're not just too lazy to use search, but they are too lazy to even glance at the front page. It's very annoying and because this board is so poorly moderated it renders the forums practically useless.

Moderators really ought to make better use of board-provided features such as thread merging, stickies, and so on. It works on other messageboards operated on a shoestring budget as a hobby, so I do not see why it isn't done on a commercially-backed well-funded messageboard such as dpreview.

A great video that a lot of users would do well to watch:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk

I recognize that this is a gear-oriented forum, but I'd still rather read more about technique and how it applies to the gear I have, how I can make more effective use of my gear, and so on, rather than what is going on right now. I don't see any reason all of the 5D3 threads couldn't be consolidated into a handful of threads since much of it is duplicate content.

Even worse, the S/N ratio this sort of crap creates pollutes search results, so that even users with a decent sense of netiquette need to resort to creating new threads to ask questions even though their questions may already be answered, because they can't find it via search because the board is so poorly moderated.

-- hide signature --

Caution: Do not stare into laser with remaining eye.

kimvette
Like?
In reply to kimvette, Mar 3, 2012

And of course, 5D mk IV speculation has begun, right on cue.

-- hide signature --

Earthlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,139
Like?
In reply to boudro_, Mar 3, 2012

boudro_ wrote:

Jack A. Zucker wrote:

yes, it was all the same grad students with no income that nikon pays 20$ per hour to be here and have e-pinions. it is hilarious and annoying.

Sometimes I too suspect this. Do you have evidence?

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
GlobalGuyUSA
Contributing MemberPosts: 909Gear list
Like?
In reply to Earthlight, Mar 4, 2012

You all do realize that you started your own whining-thread, and then all joined up to whine about it, don't you? Did Canon pay you $20 dollars to do that -- or is it just part of human beings expressing themselves openly?

I suggest you take it in stride. Forums are like cameras -- tools. You could be making beautiful threads and posting beautiful pictures if you wanted to be doing so.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,

GlobalGuyUSA

GlobalGuyUSA's gear list:GlobalGuyUSA's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
Jack A. Zucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,539
Like?
In reply to GlobalGuyUSA, Mar 4, 2012

I am making beautiful pictures but I still enjoy poking fun at some of you folks.

GlobalGuyUSA wrote:

You all do realize that you started your own whining-thread, and then all joined up to whine about it, don't you? Did Canon pay you $20 dollars to do that -- or is it just part of human beings expressing themselves openly?

I suggest you take it in stride. Forums are like cameras -- tools. You could be making beautiful threads and posting beautiful pictures if you wanted to be doing so.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,

GlobalGuyUSA

kimvette
Like?
In reply to Jack A. Zucker, Mar 8, 2012

And, now the forum is totally unreadable and the moderators are doing NOTHING to keep it in check. Do we need 13 threads speculating about why Canon chose the resolution they did for the 5D3, 34 threads about the 5D3 AF, 512 threads complaining about high and low ISO performance compared to either the D800, 5D2, or the upcoming 5D mk XXV, and then of course 192 threads of numbskulls spawning "me too threads" about why they won't be buying the 5D3, or that Canon is charging too much, or other random bullpoop that is covered by 191 other threads?

Okay, slight exaggeration with the numbers above, but only slight.

-- hide signature --

tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
In reply to cptrios, Mar 8, 2012

IMO, People never complained about resolution because they just expected more than a 1MP bump in resolution. It looks even worse, now that Nikon bumpped the resolution of the Dx00 by 24MP(to 36MP).

Plus the increased price of the 5D MarkIII doesnt help either.

cptrios wrote:

Bassman2003 wrote:

And the 5DIII is pretty much what everyone's been saying they wanted since the II came out. More FPS, dual card slots, and a pro AF system - which is, by an enormous margin, the thing I've seen mentioned most often in "wish lists" for the 5DIII. The big flaw is the price - the rest of the complaints are minor. Other than that, it seems like everyone's just having serious megapixel envy.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony 50mm F1.4 +11 more
kimvette
Like?
In reply to tqlla, Mar 8, 2012

And yet, 5D X rumors are hitting the rumor mills. So, time will tell.

But even so, do we need eleventy thousand threads all covering the same exact bullocks?

-- hide signature --

Ogjetaknight
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
In reply to CBuff, Mar 8, 2012

When the mark II was announced I recall much complaining about FPS autofocus ect. Now with the mark III we appear to have all that but we didn't get a big bump in MP. It would be interesting to see what would happen if canon introduced a camera with about 40 MP but all other specs the same as the mark II for the same price as the mark III. And then if they introduced a camera with 40 MP and all the great features of the mark III but at a price of about $7000 US.

I guess then the only thing left to complain about would be the price of the camera that has it all.

phototrope
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
In reply to Ogjetaknight, Mar 8, 2012

People complain about what they are unhappy about. Thats what brings about change. Would you prefer a happy-clappy place where everyone wants to wash the feet of Canon executives?

Ogjetaknight wrote:

When the mark II was announced I recall much complaining about FPS autofocus ect. Now with the mark III we appear to have all that but we didn't get a big bump in MP. It would be interesting to see what would happen if canon introduced a camera with about 40 MP but all other specs the same as the mark II for the same price as the mark III. And then if they introduced a camera with 40 MP and all the great features of the mark III but at a price of about $7000 US.

I guess then the only thing left to complain about would be the price of the camera that has it all.

Ogjetaknight
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
In reply to phototrope, Mar 8, 2012

True, and the mark III is canons answer to what people were complaining about with the mark II. I'm very glad they listened

ESfishdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?
In reply to Ogjetaknight, Mar 8, 2012

This thread caught my eye... I've been avoiding the forum as best I can.. but it is tough... it is interesting to ponder the depth of expertise over equipment that isn't available to the public.

This is the "Enquirer" of photography forums during recent times. I think it is much worse than when the 7D came out.

This is one of the most impersonal forums partly because of the way it is set up. I like a forum where you can easily see someones avatar and post count if for nothing else to gauge their level of commitment.

For better or worse I don't put as much stock in info from people who have no links to their work... especially when they are chest beating.

I've come to view this place as a techy/geeky/specs/data/gossip forum.

Fortunately there are other forums that I can go to for inspiration and sharing where there is minimal trash talk about such nonsense that seems to be dominating here.

As I write this I also will make a personal commitment to behave and not say anything negative to fuel the madness....

Richard

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads