OM-D 100% samples - high ISO at fotopolis - Excellent results!

Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions
compositor20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,575
Like?
OM-D 100% samples - high ISO at fotopolis - Excellent results!
Mar 2, 2012

Outstanding results of OM-D at high ISO --- Full samples:

From my analysis:

best m43 so far.. excellent till good iso 6400 and emergency for 12800...
iso 25600 has banding or so I believe...

Olympus has unfortunately lost the crown of best jpg maker (at least in noise reduction) the winner is canon g1x!!!

http://www.fotopolis.pl/index.php?n=14518&p=0 (its in 2 pages and the next page has the full 100% screen samples)

compare here canon g1x full size vs olympus om-d at iso 12800 (the olympus is underexposed -0.33 EV which at those Isos might do a difference)!

Olympus OM-D E-M5
click here http://files.fotopolis.pl/download/pw-omd-mup12800.JPG

Canon Powershot G1X
click here http://files.fotopolis.pl/download/pw-g1x-tb-05.jpg

This is almost Nikon d700 canon 5d mark II level till iso 6400!

I dont know if it is Toshiba sensor (Fuji x10 which might have an efficiency of 58%) or panasonic sensor ... since canon g1x was only slightly better than panasonic g3 at DXO and much better in JPG (new DIGIC 5 is the new high iso king jpg processor)

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X10 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stimmer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,137
Like?
Thanks for the link...
In reply to compositor20, Mar 2, 2012

Canon has always been real good at noise reduction, they've applied it in raws. :). They are using a bigger sensor as well, albeit just a little. Too bad they are stuck with the one soft lens glued to it.

Seriously, this confirms a lot. I think when people gripe they don't realize this thing is approaching 5dmk2 levels, which is quite amazing because that is still a heck of a camera.

What I liked most is how the colors are holding together, and I especially like what I'm seeing out of the blacks. The tone curve is more e3 like which I really like.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boyzo
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,516
Like?
Re: OM-D 100% samples - high ISO at fotopolis - Excellent results!

I think we need to see RAW files {so far on the Web only Jpegs have appeared}
And also High ISO shot in real world situations
--
John

http://boyzo.smugmug.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48966961@N00/sets/

krisdalmine
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
In reply to boyzo, Mar 2, 2012

looks promising

Midnighter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,727
Like?

My summary, based on these samples:

ISO 200-800 "Set auto ISO 200-800 and let the camera fly, you wont be seeing any difference worth a damn in that range."

ISO 1600 "No, bump it up to 3200, one more stop is better to use because its not going to make a difference in what you see anyway."

ISO 6400 "Oh darn it... thats right... this is a small sensor... ohh well"

lsrmz
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?

So. . .who here reads and understands Polish? I don't trust Google Translate. I can get the idea from what I read, but after seeing some Spanish translations, I know some of the Google translations end up being incorrect.

Lori

compositor20
Like?
In reply to krisdalmine, Mar 2, 2012

I have the high iso raws from focus numerique and that spectacular iso 6400 results in the bathroom shot are still very good at that high iso specially with noise reduction at low where detail is so well preserved! and blacks are real blacks.. they are good with olympus viewer and with Picasa (I believe it uses DCRAW since results are very different from olympus viewer but low color noise at high iso and very good blacks seemed to hold on both converters!

Im comparing the images to nex 5N.. and panasonic gx1.. I still have hopes that is not the panasonic sensor since those blacks in panasonic are greys and color saturation is not the same...

Beware the high iso shots are not focused at the same plane and olympus has as little too much sharpening but in olympus viewer you can dial noise reduction to low and sharpening to -1 and they are great... Color noise removal is really good on par with Canon (which was never good at color noise in the midtones but now is).

Just to remind you that sports is between 1/500 f2.8 iso 3200 and 1/1000 f2.8 iso 6400 and weddings are between 1/60 f2.8 iso 3200 and 1/125 f2.8 iso 6400

By the way here you have one video at the bottom of olympus IBIS in video... almost steadycam like and that is without a pistol like grip... if they use one you can have a steadycam in you camera with all lenses for video (with steadycam you cant mount a 12mm and then a telephoto zoom or a long prime which is heavy since you will need to calibrate the balance of the gizmo, so another advantage of olympus om-d)!!!!!
http://www.fotopolis.pl/index.php?n=14430&olympus-om-d-e-m5-pierwsze-wrazenia

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,646Gear list
Like?

compositor20 wrote:

From my analysis:

analysis ? dude, if you want to know what analysis means - bother to check postings of such people like :

http://www.dpreview.com/members/8931023692/forums

or

http://www.dpreview.com/members/9263714680/forums

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +20 more
krisdalmine
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
we have eyes :)
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, Mar 3, 2012

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

compositor20 wrote:

From my analysis:

analysis ? dude, if you want to know what analysis means - bother to check postings of such people like :

http://www.dpreview.com/members/8931023692/forums

or

http://www.dpreview.com/members/9263714680/forums

And we can see and have our opinion :o))

if you don't have it's your problem not yours !

Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
You need to be told what to think?????

I find it amusing that you need to be told by others what to think.

To everyone else, look at the pics and form your own opinions...even if that opinion is, "I need better pics to judge".

Photohobbyfun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362
Like?
Re: Thanks for the link...
In reply to stimmer, Mar 3, 2012

stimmer wrote:

Canon has always been real good at noise reduction, they've applied it in raws. :). They are using a bigger sensor as well, albeit just a little. Too bad they are stuck with the one soft lens glued to it.

Seriously, this confirms a lot. I think when people gripe they don't realize this thing is approaching 5dmk2 levels, which is quite amazing because that is still a heck of a camera.

What I liked most is how the colors are holding together, and I especially like what I'm seeing out of the blacks. The tone curve is more e3 like which I really like.

I don't see anything to get excited about. The G1X looks noticeably better and its sensor size is just a little bit bigger than m43rds, so the E-M5 isn't doing anything special, if anything, its behind the G1X, at least as far as JPEG's are concerned.

I don't think Canons JPEG's are that much better than Olympus's so it seems the E-M5 isn't going to do anything special with high iso.

The high ISO wars have gotten silly. With an XZ-1, F1.8 lens, and IS, I never go over ISO 400. So if the E-M5 ISO is the XZ-1's equal at ISO 1600, I'll be pretty happy.

compositor20
Like?
Re: You need to be told what to think?????
In reply to Everdog, Mar 3, 2012

well from my comparison with sony nex 5-n this must be panasonic sensor although I dont know how they could manage to get those reds without chroma noise and how the blacks at same iso and shutter speed are darker with olympus... but I compared shutter speeds and there is 2/3 stops in favor of Nex (faster shutter for same middle grey), although the olympus looks less noised (im not going to comment about detail since olympus uses high radius sharpening and Nex is rumoured to not have an AA filter).

chroma saturation of red channel is really good... in green channel its quite ok with some color contamination and in the blue channel it isnt as good as nex 5n because of red saturation but it is better in midtones and the shadows are´t as rough as the ones in nex 5-n (they have less low frequency noise, although banding starts to appear at iso 6400).

Noise in the shadows is very well controlled till 6400 and color dessaturation starts to appear here but without no problems... at 12800 color dessaturation happens but DR is still remarkable... at iso 25600 there is that low frequency big grain noise... color contamination color dessaturation... loss of severe detail in the high frequency...

by the way nosie ninja gives at iso 3200 a noise index of 27 (measured from chroma and luminance combined and lower index is better) for OM-D and 32 for Panasonic GX1 (by the way they have the same shutter speed and alost the same luminance at iso 3200 (olyumpus has a little bit more light 0.15EV or less). Is this better? At iso 6400 olympus om-d has a noise index of 29 and sony nex 5-n of 25 with 0.4 EV advantage in shutter speed but i still think olympus files look cleaner...

Is this a better subjective analysis?

stimmer
Like?
Say what??
In reply to Photohobbyfun, Mar 3, 2012

My E500 I was scared to shoot at ISO 400, so being able to shoot at ISO 6400 isn't supposed to be a big deal? It's a very big deal.

Sure there are other cameras out there that do it as well, but nothing like in the package the EM5 is about to offer. It's going to be the smallest weathersealed camera in the world, with very high image quality.

G1X is not even a viable option because you are stuck with that crappy soft lens and can't change it.

Most review sites that I've seen have been very receptive to the Em5. Its going to be a nice success for Olympus, and it deserves it because it's a well thought out camera suited to real photographers.

stimmer
Like?
I love what you wrote, but can you explain it to me?
In reply to compositor20, Mar 3, 2012

I probably need cliff notes to understand it.

lsrmz
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?
Re: Say what??
In reply to stimmer, Mar 3, 2012

My E500 I was scared to shoot at ISO 400, so being able to shoot at ISO 6400 isn't supposed to be a big deal? It's a very big deal.

Totally agree. Yeah, there are always those who compare it to Sony or Canon or Nikon or whatever suits their fancy, but I am coming from E-510 and E30. I wouldn't go over ISO400 on my E-510 and was really pushing it at ISO1600 on my E-30. I am comparing to what I am used to, and good, very usable ISO6400 is a HUGE improvement. If I had wanted to switch to another brand, I would have done it already. Sure, other manufacturers may be ahead in the ISO or sensor or megapixel wars, but I am not looking at other manufacturers. I have tried others, but for one reason or another I've stuck with Olympus. I like what Olympus is offering in the E-M5. If it is an older sensor in the E-M5, big deal, it meets my needs. May not be the case for someone else, and there are plenty of choices out there.

Lori

Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,270Gear list
Like?

They did (at least from what I saw from a quick look) looked pretty good up to 6400. Both the Canon and the Oly had banding at the next full ISO stop higher, the Oly seemed more pronounced, but then again the shadows weren't as black maybe...I think a little contrast adjust PP 'might' fix that. Or not underexposing by 1/3 of a stop...if the case. It's kind of remarkable in high ISO what cameras are doing as compared to a couple of years back...but we'll have to wait and see if it's at an expense of low ISO shadow noise...is the verdict in on that yet?
--
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
http://barriolson.aminus3.com/

Like the Joker said: Why so serious?

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,646Gear list
Like?

compositor20 wrote:

Is this a better subjective analysis?

better... but it is really shall be called "subjective impressions" though, in order not to denigrate the word "analysis" w/ a stream of adjectives ("really good", "quite ok", "some color contamination", "isnt as good", "are´t as rough", ) instead of numbers .

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +20 more
fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,636
Like?

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

better... but it is really shall be called "subjective impressions" though, in order not to denigrate the word "analysis" w/ a stream of adjectives ("really good", "quite ok", "some color contamination", "isnt as good", "are´t as rough", ) instead of numbers .

Give it a rest, guy.

Go out and shoot some pictures and post them here.

You're boring me big time.

fotophool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7131002@N05/

Avaron
Regular MemberPosts: 481
Like?

compositor20 wrote:

From my analysis:

Hahahaha...next !

Gethenderson
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?

I'm on a different world it seems, yes it's a step forward but i'd say ISO 800 is the real limit, ISO 1600 as the back-up must get photo ISO. Those of you saying ISO 6400! You're kidding yourselves if you care about decent quality.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads