Corel vs. Adobe redux

Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions
DaleB82
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
Corel vs. Adobe redux
Mar 2, 2012

If anyone remembers, I jumped into a thread (from which I expropriated part of this title) last month with a link to some informal observations on Photoshop vs. Paint Shop Pro in light of the reaction to Adobe's announced pricing model change.

Here's Part Two of that which covers the software I use the most - Lightroom - compared to AfterShot Pro. The piece includes some brief comments on LR4 and a few other off-mainstream software packages, so it relates to a few other threads on this forum as well.

To MikefromMesa: I wound up sprinkling in some observations about DxO (v.6) and am now, despite myself, getting ready to try v. 7. You can see on another thread - "My friend showed me DxO optics, looks incredible" somewhere a little down the list from here - that Dxo was able to solve a small CA problem that I couldn't fix with any of the packages I covered in the article.

Anyway, here it is (a real mini-epic :)). Enjoy:

http://www.bluedonkeyphotography.com/A_Modest_Exercise_Part_Two.pdf

DJB

DaleB82's gear list:DaleB82's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 700D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +16 more
Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,417
Like?
Re: Corel vs. Adobe redux
In reply to DaleB82, Mar 2, 2012

Nice pdf. Some people will make good use of it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WineO
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,306
Like?
In reply to DaleB82, Mar 3, 2012

Thank you Dale for the tremendous amount of work you have put into this 'modest' PDF. I think that everyone who reads it will find it very worthwhile. I must say that I had some trouble downloading it - it might have been my computer. Perhaps you can post a link to your previous article.
Claude

Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,417
Like?
In reply to WineO, Mar 3, 2012

Claude, had no problem dl the file.

WineO wrote:

Thank you Dale for the tremendous amount of work you have put into this 'modest' PDF. I think that everyone who reads it will find it very worthwhile. I must say that I had some trouble downloading it - it might have been my computer. Perhaps you can post a link to your previous article.
Claude

DaleB82
Like?
In reply to WineO, Mar 3, 2012

Thanks for your kind feedback, Claude.

Here's the link to the first part:

http://www.bluedonkeyphotography.com/A_Modest_Exercise.pdf

When I initially uploaded the article to my site yesterday, and the browser opened, it took close to a minute for the file to display (it's over 4 MB), but once it was cached, it was fine. I live in a suburb of Chicago where the only option is DSL, I tried saving to a "lighter" PDF, but the graphics were far too compressed to be useful.

Glad you found value in it.

DJB

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 700D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +16 more
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,929Gear list
Like?
thank you very much /nt
In reply to DaleB82, Mar 4, 2012
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews

"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust

"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +17 more
Ronald A Yorko
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?
Thanks
In reply to DaleB82, Mar 5, 2012

Thanks so much for the excellent review. Well written and enjoyable to read. I prefer user reviews than professional ones; I want to know what someone who uses the software thinks.

I don't have Lightroom, just Aftershot Pro, but I tend to agree with all you said about Corel.
Again, much appreciated and helpful. Thanks for taking the time.

Ronald A Yorko's gear list:Ronald A Yorko's gear list
DxO Optics Pro Standard
DaleB82
Like?
Re: Thanks
In reply to Ronald A Yorko, Mar 5, 2012

Tex and Ronald - you're welcome. I had fun doing it, even if the process was slow.

DJB

bob81
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?

Hi,

I only get "error 404, not found" when I try to open part 2. Do you have another link for it? Part 1 works fine.
--
Regards,
Bob(Ma.USA)

DaleB82
Like?
In reply to bob81, Mar 5, 2012

Sorry. I just uploaded a corrected version of Part Two (a feature os ASP works that I thought didn't),and it has a different filename. Give it 10 more minutes and the link should work.

Good intentions gone awry.

Thanks for your patience.

DJB

DaleB82
Like?
In reply to bob81, Mar 5, 2012

Fixed it. Should work fine now. Give it a minute to load, as it's a large file.

Again, sorry about the interruption.

DJB

DaleB82
Like?

Just so you know - Part Two has been corrected to acknowledge that there is a slider control for leveling in ASP. I fixed the file link so you can see the corrected version. Both articles are linked on the home page at http://www.bluedonkeyphotography.com .

Also, on the user forum at Corel someone pointed out a partial workaround for a dual-screen setup, whereby you can undock the tool panel and place it on a different screen. But as another use there pointed out, this is neither strictly dual-monitor capability, and none of the other panels appear to be "undockable."

DJB

rponiarski
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
In reply to DaleB82, Mar 6, 2012

Very nice article. I noticed that you had an issue with Aftershot Pro and downloading. I got around this by downloading into a special folder, that I call the Transfer Folder and having it renamed with the day of shooting. From that folder, I can keyword it and move it to any folder I would choose. Just a thought...
--
Richard M. Poniarski
Not a speaker for anyone but myself.
"Everyone is entitled to the reality of their own choice"

rponiarski's gear list:rponiarski's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Corros
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
In reply to DaleB82, Mar 18, 2012

Great review, I made one for ASP, DXO, Lr and PD: http://corrosphotoblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/raw-converter-comparison.html

I found it hard to compare the programs, because it's easy to be used to one of them. I used DXO for a long time, but find ASP very interesting. But than Lr 4 came out, very cheap...

ASP was very easy to use, and handy with the plugin options. What I didn't like was the vertical tabs. I don't like reading with my neck stretched

DaleB82
Like?
In reply to Corros, Jul 6, 2012

Corros - I missed your reply back in March, and only noticed it now while searching for another topic altogether.

I've only looked at the first couple of pages, but it looks as if you've put together a great treatment of some the market leaders. Simple, well-documented, and straightforward. I look forward to finishing it.

Thanks,

DJB

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads