Just posted - EOS 5D Mark III low-light ISO series samples

Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions
Andy Westlake
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928Gear list
Like?
Just posted - EOS 5D Mark III low-light ISO series samples
Mar 2, 2012

Hi all,

We've just published a quick set of full size JPEG ISO-comparison samples from the 5D Mark III. I'd like to urge everyone to read carefully and consider the text in our news story when assessing them - these are deliberately shot under demanding conditions (approx 3EV and 3000K):

We've had a chance to prepare a set of full-resolution studio-based JPEG samples from a pre-production Canon EOS 5D Mark III, at all available ISOs from 50 to 102800. We've chosen to shoot under low level halogen lighting, which provides a stern test of the camera's sensor and noise reduction systems. Note that these samples are not intended to replace, or even be comparable to our standard studio tests, which we'll publish as usual when we get our hands on a production camera.

At a colour temperature of about 3000K and low light intensity (approx 3 EV), these images are also neutrally white-balanced. This requires extreme amplification of the blue channel (and to a lesser extent the green) relative to the red, accentuating any noise or banding that might be introduced by the camera. This should therefore be considered close to the worst-case scenario - under many situations you'll see less noise at high ISOs, for example when shooting indoors in daylight. Also remember that this is a pre-production camera, so may not be entirely representative of final image quality.

You can look at the samples from here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/02/canoneos5dmarkiii-isoseries
--
Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Andy Westlake's gear list:Andy Westlake's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus Stylus Verve S Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
candleJack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,451Gear list
Like?
Re: much better than the first impression left by canon..
In reply to Andy Westlake, Mar 2, 2012

The DPR samples look a lot better to me than what canon has showed so far.

So these are jpegs generated by the camera? Any details on NR settings?

Best regards,
Alex
--

We make a stand now, or there will be nobody left to go to the chopper..

candleJack's gear list:candleJack's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 350D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
slerman
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
I never thought I'd shoot at 25600

...but I will, when needed, with the 5DMKIII. Impressive.

Birdman7
Contributing MemberPosts: 912Gear list
Like?
Re: 51200 looks pretty usable.

Must say im impressed. Details are not bad and noise well supressed.

There seems to be some hint of horizontal banding on the top righthand side of the next ISO 102400 image though.

Wasnt impressed by the ISO 3200 or even the ISO 800 image on the Canon sample page of the Aurora Borealis shots here http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos5dmk3/ the images looked to suffered from too much noise reduction and loss of detail, esp concerning at ISO 800!

Would have liked to see some weather sealing on the new vertical grip which seemed have suffered water leakage on the 5d2 in the Antarctic tests here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/antarctica-2009-worked.shtml

but overall, thumbs up well done Canon.

Regards.

Birdman7's gear list:Birdman7's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
SpartanWarrior
Senior MemberPosts: 2,870Gear list
Like?
Re: I never thought I'd shoot at 25600
In reply to slerman, Mar 2, 2012

Very impressive indeed.

slerman wrote:

...but I will, when needed, with the 5DMKIII. Impressive.
--

SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
hunk
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,214Gear list
Like?
An end to banding as we know it

Shadows are so much better at every iso.

If this beauty had 36MP I would cancel the Nikon!

Thanks DP for the quick tests!

Andy Westlake wrote:

Hi all,

We've just published a quick set of full size JPEG ISO-comparison samples from the 5D Mark III. I'd like to urge everyone to read carefully and consider the text in our news story when assessing them - these are deliberately shot under demanding conditions (approx 3EV and 3000K):

We've had a chance to prepare a set of full-resolution studio-based JPEG samples from a pre-production Canon EOS 5D Mark III, at all available ISOs from 50 to 102800. We've chosen to shoot under low level halogen lighting, which provides a stern test of the camera's sensor and noise reduction systems. Note that these samples are not intended to replace, or even be comparable to our standard studio tests, which we'll publish as usual when we get our hands on a production camera.

At a colour temperature of about 3000K and low light intensity (approx 3 EV), these images are also neutrally white-balanced. This requires extreme amplification of the blue channel (and to a lesser extent the green) relative to the red, accentuating any noise or banding that might be introduced by the camera. This should therefore be considered close to the worst-case scenario - under many situations you'll see less noise at high ISOs, for example when shooting indoors in daylight. Also remember that this is a pre-production camera, so may not be entirely representative of final image quality.

You can look at the samples from here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/02/canoneos5dmarkiii-isoseries
--
Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

hunk's gear list:hunk's gear list
Leica M9 Canon Extender EF 2x II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF
Andy Westlake
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928Gear list
Like?
Re: much better than the first impression left by canon..
In reply to candleJack, Mar 2, 2012

candleJack wrote:

The DPR samples look a lot better to me than what canon has showed so far.

So these are jpegs generated by the camera? Any details on NR settings?

Out-of-camera JPEGs, default NR settings.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Andy Westlake's gear list:Andy Westlake's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus Stylus Verve S Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
d2d
d2d
Regular MemberPosts: 190
Like?
Re: Just posted - EOS 5D Mark III low-light ISO series samples

Thanks for you r fast posting. Much better than the other images I have seen.

candleJack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,451Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you for the clarification.. [nt]

nt
--

We make a stand now, or there will be nobody left to go to the chopper..

candleJack's gear list:candleJack's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 350D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +4 more
alexruiseco
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?

Great samples!

Thanks for posting this, it gives a very good idea of what this camera is capable for... will wait a few months for the prices to low...
--
It's good to be big, but it's bigger to be good.

alexruiseco's gear list:alexruiseco's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +7 more
Slideshow Bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249
Like?
Wow! That's quite a lot of NR.

Too much NR for my liking. I'd rather have the noise if it meant that more detail was retained. The wood texture changes quite dramatically at 3200, and the detail loss is shocking. I'd wager that a D3s holds considerably more detail at high ISO.

I hope that Canon aren't completely relying on NR for their "improved" high ISO performance, but in my opinion that seems to be the case.

Don't know what to make of the claimed DR improvement at moderate and high ISO. Either the sensor has better DR or it doesn't. Unless they're relying on NR, how can there be a DR improvement at higher ISOs without a base ISO DR improvement? I don't get that.

I suppose RAW samples (or direct RAW -> JPEG conversions) are what we need to see. Right now I'm not convinced by Canon's IQ claims. Low ISO is good, and I can't see any banding, so I guess it's somewhat better than 5DII. We'll see.

SB

steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 902Gear list
Like?
Very Nice, Thanks for Posting These!

I'm in the market for a FF body and am looking at the 5D2/5D3 or D700/D800 and I have to say these images are very nice. I don't need the 36MP of the D800; I need good images in low light/high ISO situations. These shots from the 5D3 are very impressive. Thanks again for posting them!

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
HSU
HSU
Regular MemberPosts: 345
Like?

Thanks. By far better samples than the Canon ones.

Pretty awesome performance of the mk3 I have to say--as far as the low resolution allows.

clk_walker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045
Like?
Re: Wow! That's quite a lot of NR.
In reply to Slideshow Bob, Mar 2, 2012

Slideshow Bob wrote:

Too much NR for my liking. I'd rather have the noise if it meant that more detail was retained. The wood texture changes quite dramatically at 3200, and the detail loss is shocking. I'd wager that a D3s holds considerably more detail at high ISO.

I hope that Canon aren't completely relying on NR for their "improved" high ISO performance, but in my opinion that seems to be the case.

Don't know what to make of the claimed DR improvement at moderate and high ISO. Either the sensor has better DR or it doesn't. Unless they're relying on NR, how can there be a DR improvement at higher ISOs without a base ISO DR improvement? I don't get that.

I suppose RAW samples (or direct RAW -> JPEG conversions) are what we need to see. Right now I'm not convinced by Canon's IQ claims. Low ISO is good, and I can't see any banding, so I guess it's somewhat better than 5DII. We'll see.

SB

Who exactly cares if your are convinced or not??
--
A bird in the viewfinder is worth...

Hypoxic
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
WOW...but...

All I can think is 'wow', it looks like they've hit the target of an amazing low light camera...but while I expected a price increase above the 5D Mark II, I didn't expect the $3500 price tag.

Hypoxic's gear list:Hypoxic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Fujifilm X100T Leica M9 Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
SpartanWarrior
Senior MemberPosts: 2,870Gear list
Like?
In reply to clk_walker, Mar 2, 2012

You can say that again, the samples show that it is great.

clk_walker wrote:

Slideshow Bob wrote:

SB

Who exactly cares if your are convinced or not??
--
A bird in the viewfinder is worth...

SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
Marco
Senior MemberPosts: 1,851
Like?

Agreed.

And low ISOs aren't impressively "crisp".

Again we need to wait for the real images (Raw), as this result could pretty much depends on jpeg engine and NR applied.

Slideshow Bob wrote:

SB

-- hide signature --

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

Marc Twain

treepop
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?

It all comes down to what this camera can do in raw. We unfortunatly just have to wait. I am crossing my fingers for 2 stops better in raw performance, which would justify the price. If this camera is only 1 stop better it would still beat the d3s and be a beast of a camera, but about $500 overprices. If the noise is only marginally better or the same....well...hopefully the 5d2 drops in price
--
never stop learning

treepop's gear list:treepop's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
ukat123
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?
In reply to treepop, Mar 2, 2012

review by engadget

Canon cites the 1D X as being one stop cleaner than the Mark III, ensuring its reign as the top dog in the lineup. Of course, RAW images won't benefit from the in-camera noise reduction, but we're told that they should still be quite pleasing given the new internals.

not good isn'i it

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,904
Like?

Slideshow Bob wrote:

Maybe for your particular tastes but these are only out of the camera JPEGs. We'll see more with RAW samples in due course won't we.

On what grounds can you possibly base that?

As far as I am aware all sensors reduce in DR as ISO increases above base sensitivity. But the extent to which DR falls off with ISO is also dependent on sensor design. It doesn't have to be just more NR applied.

Right.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads