5D III sample... a bad joke?

Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions
Just a Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,151Gear list
Like?
Re: client would say, what this spot!
In reply to spidercrown, Mar 2, 2012

Sensor dust on a sample picture is NOT done and considered to be made by a photographer that doesn't know how to clean a sensor.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Just a Photographer
Like?
Re: Thumb up (NT)
In reply to ohyva, Mar 2, 2012

No Text

Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
B Bretz
Regular MemberPosts: 403
Like?
What about this sample?
In reply to KLO82, Mar 2, 2012

Looks OK. Maybe not as good resolution wise as some of the D800 samples, but still good. I like the color saturation and the smooth noise characteristics.

Shooting Mode:
Aperture-priority AE
Tv (Shutter Speed):
1/400 sec
Av (Aperture Value):
f/3.5
ISO Speed:
ISO100
Lens:
EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM

KLO82
Contributing MemberPosts: 717
Like?
Re: What about this sample?
In reply to B Bretz, Mar 2, 2012

This photo looks quite good. But the photo that I posted just shows carelessness of Canon.

B Bretz wrote:

Looks OK. Maybe not as good resolution wise as some of the D800 samples, but still good. I like the color saturation and the smooth noise characteristics.

Shooting Mode:
Aperture-priority AE
Tv (Shutter Speed):
1/400 sec
Av (Aperture Value):
f/3.5
ISO Speed:
ISO100
Lens:
EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM

B Bretz
Like?
Or this sample?

Nice color rendition.

Shooting Mode:
Manual exposure
Tv (Shutter Speed):
1/80 sec
Av (Aperture Value):
f/11.0
ISO Speed:
ISO100
Lens:
TS-E90mm f/2.8
White Balance:
Color Temperature(5200K)

B Bretz
Like?
Re: What about this sample?

I agree, the one sample looks pretty poor with some pixel artifacts and the poor settings used to take the photo may have contributed. I think they used F/16 to achieve 1/250 flash sync at ISO 10O in bright daylight conditions. But that didn't help the photo resolution when viewed critically, obviously.

I'm sure the 5DMIII is a very capable camera regardless.

And by the way, I shoot Nikon and have for years. Both this camera and the D800 are looking pretty great despite some of the critical scrutiny.

KLO82 wrote:

This photo looks quite good. But the photo that I posted just shows carelessness of Canon.

B Bretz wrote:

Shooting Mode:
Aperture-priority AE
Tv (Shutter Speed):
1/400 sec
Av (Aperture Value):
f/3.5
ISO Speed:
ISO100
Lens:
EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM

sebastian73
Contributing MemberPosts: 593Gear list
Like?
Re: Or this sample? really bad sample

Sorry, but that pic is really bad. Soft, blurry and for a outdoor flash beauty pic very little details in the red coat. Such pic must be much more cleaner with better details when you shoot in this conditions with ISO 100.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D3s, AFS 16-35/4.0G, AFS 35mm/1.4G, AFS 24-70/2.8G, AFS 85mm/1.4G, AFS 105mm/2.8VR, AFS 70-200/2.8VRII, AFS 200/2.0VR, TC-1.4E II, TC-2.0E III, SB-800

Gitzo GT3541LS tripod with Markins M20, Gitzo GM3551 monopod with RRS MH-01 head

sebastian73's gear list:sebastian73's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +5 more
phototrope
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
Re: Except by then...
In reply to Great Bustard, Mar 2, 2012

Very true. These examples are quite bad. I assume it is bad processing... Sure, the sensor may have better noise performance, but a MkIII needs more than that. I bet Canon will learn the lesson and a killer 30+Mpixel sensor will be here in a year or so.

...many former Canon owners will be shooting with the D800.

Very, very true.

B Bretz
Like?
In reply to sebastian73, Mar 2, 2012

Don't be sorry, you're entitled to your opinion. I thinks it looks OK. I'm not blown away by the samples but I don't think they're terrible. Maybe because I don't shoot with Canon, are these close to how 5DMKII pics look? Better than the MKII?

Check out this D800 samples, better?
http://www.hfortysixit.com/nikon-d800-full-size-samples-images/

sebastian73 wrote:

Sorry, but that pic is really bad. Soft, blurry and for a outdoor flash beauty pic very little details in the red coat. Such pic must be much more cleaner with better details when you shoot in this conditions with ISO 100.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D3s, AFS 16-35/4.0G, AFS 35mm/1.4G, AFS 24-70/2.8G, AFS 85mm/1.4G, AFS 105mm/2.8VR, AFS 70-200/2.8VRII, AFS 200/2.0VR, TC-1.4E II, TC-2.0E III, SB-800

Gitzo GT3541LS tripod with Markins M20, Gitzo GM3551 monopod with RRS MH-01 head

rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,507Gear list
Like?
It's a lipstick ad ;)

Even so, focus still should be in the eyes, with face repositioned so that both eyes (at least one) and lips would be in focus.

But there's something else, skin looks like some processing was applied, it lacks natural texture.
--
Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,660Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chez Wimpy, Mar 2, 2012

Chez Wimpy wrote:

mclaren777 wrote:

Seaclam wrote:

This camera doesn't deserve the Mk3 moniker nor the asking price.

It would be hard for me to disagree more. I think Canon went above and beyond with the 5D3 and I look forward to owning one someday.

For $3500 almost four years later ? I don't know what you are shooting, but for people/landscape/wedding/graduations ect (and the buffer being what it is) I never ran into the wall with the 4fps on the 5D2. Much better for sports even than my 20D which seems to lockup every 6 frames to clean the buffer. Always managed with the central focus point or LV @ 100%. I suppose 50+ focus points is "a nice thing to have," but like ISO1000000 (ISO6400 is darker than I can see with a f1.4 prime), barely impacts on a lot of styles of photography.

+1

very minor improvements except for those who (think they) need really high framerates, fast tracking (assuming it works) or ISO 25000 or so (in JPEG). Higher resolution, swivel LCD and lighter/smaller body would have been nice, but none of that. At $4500 (EU price for 5D3), and with the very high prices for many new Canon L lenses, the D800 is tempting.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,660Gear list
Like?
In reply to Skip M, Mar 2, 2012

Skip M wrote:

This camera changes everything except the pixel count. New AF, new metering, new body, so why not the different designation?

It changes everything, but only for those who care enough about these features to pay $3500. I'm pretty sure for most people who have a 5D2, or an APS-C Canon DSLR, this is way too expensive to consider this very minor upgrade in image quality and other features that might be relevant to them. For many of us, this is a 5D2.1.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
sebastian73
Contributing MemberPosts: 593Gear list
Like?

B Bretz wrote:

Don't be sorry, you're entitled to your opinion. I thinks it looks OK. I'm not blown away by the samples but I don't think they're terrible. Maybe because I don't shoot with Canon, are these close to how 5DMKII pics look? Better than the MKII?

Hi Bretz, my main cams are the D3s, D700 and the 5DII.

I don't know who has shoot this pic but it's strange that Canon load up such a unsharp and soft pic on their offical webpage.

To your question, I made under this 'ISO 100 studio like' condition with each of my cams mentioned above better pics Sharp at more then a 100% of view. I don't like the details in the red coat, looks for me very muchy with low colour rendition/separation. The face colour is nice. So I really hope to see in future much more better results from the 5D3 than these first posted jpeg examples.

Check out this D800 samples, better?
http://www.hfortysixit.com/nikon-d800-full-size-samples-images/

I know that link but thanks

I am on my working place so I haven't the links here, but I saw already excellent Raw pics from the D800. At most I am impressed about the high DR at base ISO. A big step for studio, beauty and so on... photographers.

By the way, I have preorder the D4 to replace my D3s. The other two cams I will replace somewhere in summer. So till yet I haven't decide which second cam I will buy.

sebastian73 wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

sebastian73's gear list:sebastian73's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +5 more
topstuff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166Gear list
Like?
A poor photograph
In reply to zappa1976, Mar 2, 2012

Good lord, that picture is not great, is it??!

I don't know where to begin. It is soft, the colours are not right, the sky does'nt look good and there appears to be a bug or dirt on the sensor on the left hand side.

Really quite poor.

Come on Canon. Must Try Harder.

B E
B E
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
Photographer mistake.

B Bretz wrote:

I agree, the one sample looks pretty poor with some pixel artifacts and the poor settings used to take the photo may have contributed. I think they used F/16 to achieve 1/250 flash sync at ISO 10O in bright daylight conditions. But that didn't help the photo resolution when viewed critically, obviously.

The only problem with the photo is the diffraction at f/16. This photo should not have been shot at f/16 - a very poor choice from the photographer. He should have used an ND filter instead of stopping down to f/16.

BTW, the official X-sync for the 5DIII is 1/200. Good to see that it can be pushed to 1/250....

UponQuai
Contributing MemberPosts: 654
Like?
Onboard Flash its Here
In reply to ohyva, Mar 2, 2012

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=40779177

ohyva wrote:

UponQuai wrote:

KLO82 wrote:

Look at the "details" of ISO 100 photo. This photo should be removed from their website.

Her cheek and left ear need onboard Flash

here

Powerdoc
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,036Gear list
Like?
Re: Fly on the lens..... yup who picks such picture as sample?
In reply to Just a Photographer, Mar 2, 2012

Is it really dust ?
Or is it an helicopter ?
(I can't answer, but I find it's a strange pattern for dust)
--
It's all about photography

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +28 more
ohyva
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,342
Like?
Re: Onboard Flash its Here
In reply to UponQuai, Mar 2, 2012

I really think this "image" is best kept just in the original and only threat, where nobody but your were willing to post/comment.

UponQuai wrote:

ohyva wrote:

UponQuai wrote:

KLO82 wrote:

Look at the "details" of ISO 100 photo. This photo should be removed from their website.

Her cheek and left ear need onboard Flash

here

Just a Photographer
Like?
Re: Its a bug for sure :)
In reply to Powerdoc, Mar 2, 2012

I don't know if its a helicopter, a fly, dust or a small bug.
But it shouldn't be there in the first place.

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 32,334
Like?
Re: That was shot on f/16
In reply to cs hauser, Mar 2, 2012

cs hauser wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

cs hauser wrote:

KLO82 wrote:

That particular photo was exposed at f/16... which is waaaaaaay past the point of diffraction. The D800E would look even worse if it was shot under those conditions.

No it wouldn't, it would look slightly better. More MP delivers more resolution even at F/16

No, it wouldn't look "slightly better". It would look worse. Since we're all looking these photos at 100% crop on that website... the D800E would definitely look worse.

The web site simply delivers the image, and it is up to you how you compare them, if you want to compare one camera with another making an image 25% bigger then that's your choice, but it doesn't convey any useful information.

If we were printing these, the D800E would look very slightly better at humongous sizes.

It will look considerably better at moderate sizes. About the same improvement that people would pay $1000 extra for an 'L' lens over a kit zoom.

But then again, if we were printing these people wouldn't be complaining that these are soft in any way. These would look terrific even when printed poster-size.

Yeah, stick to kit zooms. they are cheaper, and most people would say that the results will look terrific. Myself, I can't see the point. If you're spending $3500 on a camera when a $500 will produce terrific results, you want something a bit beyond terrific.
--
Bob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads