Canon have got it right with 5d3... from ex-Canon user

Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions
Digital Click
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Canon have got it right with 5d3... from ex-Canon user
Mar 2, 2012

Hi All

I had been using Canon digital for years but changed to Nikon system because MY requirements for photography were mainly for low light/no flash and needed good iso and also fast and better AF - I have problem with my eyes and really rely on camera. The 5d2 did not offer the benefits of Nikon D700 except high res and video.

However with this new 5d3 claiming better AF and initial report of 2 stops better iso capability this is the ideal camera. 22 MP is more than enough and for many means existing storage facilities/workflow etc will remain the same but you will overall get a much better camera - apart from some niggles, the 5d2 is still top rate SLR.

With the Nikon D800, a fine camera I am sure, but at 36MP people just keep talking about that iso is as good as D700 when downsampled. I much rather have a 22mp than gives me better iso than having to downsample to lower MP!

Whatever digital workflow we use, digital image post-production takes time - my MacPro system will handle the RAw 12MP files I am using... not sure about 36 though. I always keep the original RAW images after conversion to jpg but don't like the idea of having to cater for x3 more storage and having to possibly spend more money on faster processor - Macs are not cheap!

I think you Canon guys have it good with the new 5d - certainly if this camera was available 2 years ago I would not have changed - just loved my Canon 70-200 F4is lens and Nikon have no equivalent which is a shame.

If Nikon had a 22mp D800, with even the same iso performance of the D700 without downsampling to get it, I would have been in line for one.

Wonder how many potential buyers of Canon 1dx might now opt for 5d3.

TK

 Digital Click's gear list:Digital Click's gear list
Nikon D750
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?
Re: Canon have got it right with 5d3... from ex-Canon user
In reply to Digital Click, Mar 2, 2012

Digital Click wrote:

With the Nikon D800, a fine camera I am sure, but at 36MP people just keep talking about that iso is as good as D700 when downsampled. I much rather have a 22mp than gives me better iso than having to downsample to lower MP!

You do not have to downsample anything . Those claims are coming from people stupid enough to compare images at 100% zoom.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kimvette
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258
Like?
Re: Canon have got it right with 5d3... from ex-Canon user
In reply to Peter 13, Mar 2, 2012

Peter 13 wrote:

Digital Click wrote:

With the Nikon D800, a fine camera I am sure, but at 36MP people just keep talking about that iso is as good as D700 when downsampled. I much rather have a 22mp than gives me better iso than having to downsample to lower MP!

You do not have to downsample anything . Those claims are coming from people stupid enough to compare images at 100% zoom.

. . . or from people who need a 100% crop (think astrophotography, wildlife, etc).

But even then, both cameras are fine. Contrast that to the 5D mk II or the 7D, where ISO 3200 is the highest usable setting (and usable is a stretch unless exposure is spot on), ISO 6400 works in a pinch, and 12,800 in an "emergency" where you're going to downscale by 75% or more.

If the 5D mk III delivers what the specs promise, it will be a fantastic camera. The same will be true of the D800 as well, I'm sure. Either one is a great choice.

-- hide signature --

Caution: Do not stare into laser with remaining eye.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bronxbombers
Forum ProPosts: 18,226
Like?
don't believe the 2 stops hype and it might even have worse DR than D800
In reply to Digital Click, Mar 2, 2012

do not believe the 2 stops better, that is just because of JPG NR making watercolors out of the images

and they mention no low iso DR improvements so the 36MP might potentially be almost 2 stops better DR at ISO 100.

Digital Click wrote:

Hi All

I had been using Canon digital for years but changed to Nikon system because MY requirements for photography were mainly for low light/no flash and needed good iso and also fast and better AF - I have problem with my eyes and really rely on camera. The 5d2 did not offer the benefits of Nikon D700 except high res and video.

However with this new 5d3 claiming better AF and initial report of 2 stops better iso capability this is the ideal camera. 22 MP is more than enough and for many means existing storage facilities/workflow etc will remain the same but you will overall get a much better camera - apart from some niggles, the 5d2 is still top rate SLR.

With the Nikon D800, a fine camera I am sure, but at 36MP people just keep talking about that iso is as good as D700 when downsampled. I much rather have a 22mp than gives me better iso than having to downsample to lower MP!

Whatever digital workflow we use, digital image post-production takes time - my MacPro system will handle the RAw 12MP files I am using... not sure about 36 though. I always keep the original RAW images after conversion to jpg but don't like the idea of having to cater for x3 more storage and having to possibly spend more money on faster processor - Macs are not cheap!

I think you Canon guys have it good with the new 5d - certainly if this camera was available 2 years ago I would not have changed - just loved my Canon 70-200 F4is lens and Nikon have no equivalent which is a shame.

If Nikon had a 22mp D800, with even the same iso performance of the D700 without downsampling to get it, I would have been in line for one.

Wonder how many potential buyers of Canon 1dx might now opt for 5d3.

TK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ramjager
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
Re: don't believe the 2 stops hype and it might even have worse DR than D800
In reply to bronxbombers, Mar 2, 2012

What about the disintegration of D800 images due to diffraction???

Take a shot with a Mk2 at F18 or F14 and see how you go then compare it to an eventual 36MP image.
Ill take the 21MP image anyday.

Seems a LOT of people in clammering over the D800 seem to have forgotten all about the huge degradation in IQ at big MP's when stepped down.

Two shots even when resampled down will not be as sharp as the non effected image.

Think Canon have got it right with the 22MP...if Nikon believed in 36 the D4 would be way higher than is spec.
36=Gimmick..

 Ramjager's gear list:Ramjager's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Just a Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,151Gear list
Like?
Re: you let me laugh - 5D3 is just an AF upgrade
In reply to Ramjager, Mar 2, 2012

Its good to talk yourself into believing that the 22MP is fine and better...

But the samples that we have been seeing from Canon as from the 1D X are very disappointing. The 2 stop better ISO is only for JPEG compression mode and not for RAW.

Although I am sure both camera's will be good, I would have liked the 5D3 to be closer to the D800 then it is now.

I think its pathetic that Canon wants us to pay 3500 dollars just for an AF upgrade.

 Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aman74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,801
Like?
Re: don't believe the 2 stops hype and it might even have worse DR than D800
In reply to Ramjager, Mar 2, 2012

You don't understand diffraction. You are never worse off with a higher MP sensor due to diffraction.

The OP doesn't understand downsampling either.

Such a shame this stuff persists.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pekr
Regular MemberPosts: 469
Like?
OK, wait for the 6D
In reply to Digital Click, Mar 2, 2012

Kind of disappointed, especially about the price, and also about the misconfiguration of the system. What I want is:

  • FF

  • 5D3 AF and metering

  • Pop-up flash

  • swivel LCD for someones sake - this is a video camera too!

  • proximity sensor from Rebel line

  • don't add any other rudiculous buttons anymore - Print (noone uses) and Rate are really enough

  • not crippled high ISO - they crippled it only to not hurt 1Dx, otherwise there would be no 1 stop difference

  • 2500 $ at max

Then I might move to the FF. 3500 $ for the body - just insane ...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DaddyG
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?
Re: don't believe the 2 stops hype and it might even have worse DR than D800
In reply to aman74, Mar 2, 2012

aman74 wrote:

You don't understand diffraction. You are never worse off with a higher MP sensor due to diffraction.

The OP doesn't understand downsampling either.

Such a shame this stuff persists.

The OP makes a great point re workflow and dealing with enormous files.

With minimal increase and 3 1/2 years sensor development, I'd say that there will be a noticable increase in high ISO performance. And not just JPEG.

Minimal MP increase is definitely welcome, let's hope for same strategy with APS-C

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
spidercrown
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
Re: don't believe the 2 stops hype and it might even have worse DR than D800
In reply to Ramjager, Mar 2, 2012

If the sensor technology is the same, then yes, lower mp will give better IQ. However, both sony and canon is using different technology, and who's ahead i do not want to comment. 36 is gimmick or not, i'm not sure, but the sample blew everyone away with it's finest detail and sharpness especially taking portrait. On the other hand, canon published detailess portrait sample for 5d3 (it's at iso100 mind you), ofcos i hope it's a mistake as 5d3 could be a very good all rounder option for everyone based on the spec.

As for D4, similar to 1dX, they opt for lower mp. There's a reason, they are not able to handle 36mp or 22mp at 10fps or 12fps. And the speed cannot be compromise as it is used mainly for fast shooter. Don't tell me 1fps is enough for you, cos that's just you.

 spidercrown's gear list:spidercrown's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dominikov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon have got it right with 5d3... from ex-Canon user
In reply to Digital Click, Mar 2, 2012

Digital Click wrote:

If Nikon had a 22mp D800, with even the same iso performance of the D700 without downsampling to get it, I would have been in line for one.

Shoot in 1.2x crop with a D800 and you'll have 25mp files with only a slight margin around the viewfinder masked out and you get 5fps and a larger buffer than the D700.

Of course you're losing a few mm off the wide end (17-35 = 20-42mm, 24-70 = approx. 28-85mm, etc.) but when it becomes an issue just switch back to FF mode.

Not a deal breaker in my opinion.

 dominikov's gear list:dominikov's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digital Click
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Re: don't believe the 2 stops hype and it might even have worse DR than D800
In reply to spidercrown, Mar 2, 2012

I am always wary of pics posted by manufacturers - I will wait to see a number of reviews and users pictures to see how good all these new cameras really are. I am sure they are all good but how good and their faults will be revealed by such reports soon.

Re 1fps - for many this will always be enough! I understand your point re high MP and faster fps - I often need such fast speed for events and use a D3s but for general commisions the D700 suits me fine though I wish it had a bit more resolution like 5d2 or 5d3 at same iso levels.

I am neither a Nikon of Canon fanatic – I use what suits my needs. I love the Canon S90 and considering a GX1- nothing in the Nikon range suits my needs non DSLR wise and Sony NEX recently dismissed.

Anyway, back to 5d3.. I do think though the price is too high. In the UK, you could almost buy two 5d2 for the price of the 5d3!! The price will reduce after a few months but for all cameras, fromt he point of their official launch and actual availability seems so very long. Cannot remember but has it always been like this?

TK

 Digital Click's gear list:Digital Click's gear list
Nikon D750
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digital Click
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon have got it right with 5d3... from ex-Canon user
In reply to dominikov, Mar 2, 2012

Hi dominikov

Thank you for this - I am not a teccy person but this is interesting - also like the idea of 1.2x crop. I will now wait to see reviews and if I like, I will then check if I can afford to change!!

Makes a change that something says something very useful to educate and inform rather than an insult at someone's lack of knowledge

TK

dominikov wrote:

Digital Click wrote:

If Nikon had a 22mp D800, with even the same iso performance of the D700 without downsampling to get it, I would have been in line for one.

Shoot in 1.2x crop with a D800 and you'll have 25mp files with only a slight margin around the viewfinder masked out and you get 5fps and a larger buffer than the D700.

Of course you're losing a few mm off the wide end (17-35 = 20-42mm, 24-70 = approx. 28-85mm, etc.) but when it becomes an issue just switch back to FF mode.

Not a deal breaker in my opinion.

 Digital Click's gear list:Digital Click's gear list
Nikon D750
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ukat123
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?
Re: Canon have got it right with 5d3... from ex-Canon user
In reply to Digital Click, Mar 2, 2012

I much rather have a 22mp than gives me better iso than having to downsample to lower MP!

Well mate. I don't want to disappoint you but have a look at the samples. You need to seriously downsize the 22mp pictures to have acceptable ISO. A D3S it is not!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,507Gear list
Like?
could be worse
In reply to bronxbombers, Mar 2, 2012

bronxbombers wrote:

do not believe the 2 stops better, that is just because of JPG NR making watercolors out of the images

and they mention no low iso DR improvements so the 36MP might potentially be almost 2 stops better DR at ISO 100.

Estimates put base ISO DR for D800 above 15EV (normalized).

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

 rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hjulenissen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,638
Like?
Nonsense... (nt)
In reply to Ramjager, Mar 2, 2012

Ramjager wrote:

What about the disintegration of D800 images due to diffraction???

Take a shot with a Mk2 at F18 or F14 and see how you go then compare it to an eventual 36MP image.
Ill take the 21MP image anyday.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digital Click
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon have got it right with 5d3... from ex-Canon user
In reply to ukat123, Mar 2, 2012

Thanks Ukat, I will try that. beginning to think that the only camera better than d3s for low light iso is possibly the D4. Still over time, users photos of real-life situations will reveal capabilities of all all cameras.

TK

 Digital Click's gear list:Digital Click's gear list
Nikon D750
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aman74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,801
Like?
Re: don't believe the 2 stops hype and it might even have worse DR than D800
In reply to DaddyG, Mar 2, 2012

You quoted me yet wrote nothing that has anything to do with what I said...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mermaidkiller
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
Re: don't believe the 2 stops hype and it might even have worse DR than D800
In reply to aman74, Mar 2, 2012

Most important what I am missing is EF-S compatibility. Nikon FF cameras are DX (crop sensor) compatible.
If the 5d3 were EF-S compatible it could still shoot (22 / 1.62^2 8.6 MP.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 40
Tamron 18-250 f/3.5-6.3
Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6
Canon EF 85 f/1.8
Canon EF 50 f/2.5 Macro
-------
Canon Powershot S100

 mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digital Click
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Re: don't believe the 2 stops hype and it might even have worse DR than D800
In reply to aman74, Mar 2, 2012

I think it is pretty obvious what daddyg meant - you have no idea how to answer tactfully but feel it ok to be offensive - some sort of superiority complex on knowledge I think going on here - if I don;t understand anything, I rather be told and learn rather than be told I don;t know what i am talking about- just plain simple courtesy.

i and many others find it hard to grasp certain things (personally have a slight learning difficulty) - really admire people who help others in these posts and have sent out private emails to 'clever' people int he past to explain certain things in an easy manner was was so grateful for their replies.

If you did not mean to be offensive, then sorry but maybe be more tactful in future - others may not fully understand what you do.

TK

aman74 wrote:

You quoted me yet wrote nothing that has anything to do with what I said...

 Digital Click's gear list:Digital Click's gear list
Nikon D750
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads