5D3 $3800 in Canada

Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions
Chris Birkett
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?
5D3 $3800 in Canada
Mar 2, 2012

Camera Canada has the 5D3 available for pre-order at $3800, which I guess is the Canadian MSRP. Why would anyone pay $300 extra for the privilege of buying from a Canadian vendor when the dollar is above par?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jrarsenault
Senior MemberPosts: 1,129
Like?
Re: 5D3 $3800 in Canada
In reply to Chris Birkett, Mar 2, 2012

Chris Birkett wrote:

Camera Canada has the 5D3 available for pre-order at $3800, which I guess is the Canadian MSRP. Why would anyone pay $300 extra for the privilege of buying from a Canadian vendor when the dollar is above par?

Yes, that is disappointing.

What are the customs/tax implications for bringing a camera across the border?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris Birkett
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?
In reply to jrarsenault, Mar 2, 2012

jrarsenault wrote:

GST/PST/HST just like you would pay from a Canadian dealer. No duty on cameras. The only possible benefit is if you live in a province without HST so you can save the PST when you order from out of province. Even then it doesn't quite make up for the difference, and you are technically supposed to self-report the PST you didn't pay.

PeterY
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305
Like?

I will pass on this....getting a 7D as back up and replacing the shutter on my 5d M2
Wth tax that is $4300.

Chris Birkett wrote:

coolaction
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?

Typical, they always price it higher even though the Canadian dollar has been at par with the U.S. for quite a while now.

xfoto
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?

Plus taxes comes to about $4300 ouch.

jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,097
Like?
In reply to jrarsenault, Mar 2, 2012

jrarsenault wrote:

Chris Birkett wrote:

add another 13%.

If you ditch the packaging you can smuggle the body on your person/bag likely.

But the packaging is somewhat valuable for reselling down the road.

Rawmeister
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?

We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore.
Everybody go to your windows and say it with me.

"We won't be bent over anymore. We'll use what we have and keep our money instead"

Deji
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?

Since the dollars stabilised around parity, I thought most larger Canadian photo retailers had gradually ceased this silly habit of charging a premium for the same product.

The 5D Mk III's listing for $3,500 at B&H. Add $25 for Purolator Ground shipping and apart from the extra hurdles to scale in the event of a return or exchange, I can't think of a good reason to accept any local supplier's premium price.

FWIW, a couple of years ago, I once got my local Henry's store to price match a B&H price.

-- hide signature --

Deji

Deji's gear list:Deji's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +16 more
Rawmeister
Like?
In reply to Deji, Mar 2, 2012

Yes, all shoppers should be so astute.
Maybe then retailers won't try to ding us so bad.
The way I see it, B&H can't be beat on price or service.

My last order from them came right to my door in 3 days.
No problemo - no duty. Just great. Low cost shipping.
Let's teach our local retailers not to be so darn greedy.

tonywong
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rawmeister, Mar 2, 2012

You can blame Canon for this, because Canon Canada is a wholly owned subsidiary of Canon USA. They set the SRPs and the retailers go along with it.

FWIW, not everything is cheaper in the US. For example the new super telephotos are significantly cheaper in Canada. Not sure why there is such variation but at least Canon honours warranties from stuff brought from the U.S. to Canada and vice versa. Nikon does not.

So if it is cheaper to buy it at BH than your local retailer than I'd suggest you get stuff from BH. I like to support my local dealer but when they can't even get close to the US pricing it's time to get it shipped in from BH.

tonywong's gear list:tonywong's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +80 more
Deji
Like?
In reply to tonywong, Mar 6, 2012

tonywong wrote:

FWIW, not everything is cheaper in the US. For example the new super telephotos are significantly cheaper in Canada. Not sure why there is such variation but at least Canon honours warranties from stuff brought from the U.S. to Canada and vice versa. Nikon does not.

You're correct! I hadn't bothered to seriously compare the super telephoto lens prices. I've just done so and the 500 mm F/4 II is $1,000 cheaper at Vistek and $500 less at Henry's than at B&H!.

Perhaps it's because that subset of products is vapourware; major retailers have had them available for pre-order for a few months but I don't believe that any regular consumers are yet able to get their hands on one.

When units actually hit the shelves, we might be able to see what real street prices will settle at. I would be pleasantly surprised if the Canadian retailers were willing to offer such substantial discounts off MRSP for such "hot" items.

So if it is cheaper to buy it at BH than your local retailer than I'd suggest you get stuff from BH. I like to support my local dealer but when they can't even get close to the US pricing it's time to get it shipped in from BH.

Well said.

-- hide signature --

Deji

Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +16 more
Julio
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,884
Like?
Photoprice.ca

Always worth checking:
http://www.photoprice.ca/product/03868/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-price.html

(And yes the 5D Mk III is already one of the compared items...looks like Amazon US has the edge atm)

What I like about that site is that they do price comparisons including taxes, exchange and S&H. They also have a historical price graph for older items.

PS... the 500 f4 mentioned above is compared also with Camera Canada having the best price atm: http://www.photoprice.ca/product/03579/Canon-EF-500mm-f4L-IS-II-USM-price.html

I've been using that site a few years now...worthwhile for Canadian photo gear shoppers to bookmark.
--
http://fotoman99.smugmug.com/

arbitrage
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris Birkett, Mar 6, 2012

My final price with the prepaid all inclusive B&H Purorlator option for the 5DmkIII body only came to 3715.69 USD. That is with 5% GST as I live where we have no other sales tax. So I will still get hit with a 3-5% exchange rate when it finally ships and charges to my VISA but overall way cheaper than in Canada. It comes with the US/Can warranty so can be serviced in Canada.

arbitrage's gear list:arbitrage's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III +13 more
arbitrage
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
In reply to Deji, Mar 6, 2012

Deji wrote:

tonywong wrote:

You're correct! I hadn't bothered to seriously compare the super telephoto lens prices. I've just done so and the 500 mm F/4 II is $1,000 cheaper at Vistek and $500 less at Henry's than at B&H!.

Perhaps it's because that subset of products is vapourware; major retailers have had them available for pre-order for a few months but I don't believe that any regular consumers are yet able to get their hands on one.

When units actually hit the shelves, we might be able to see what real street prices will settle at. I would be pleasantly surprised if the Canadian retailers were willing to offer such substantial discounts off MRSP for such "hot" items.

Well said.

-- hide signature --

Deji

If you really want cheap supertelephoto prices use thecamerastore.com out of Calgary. There prices are real as they stay the same when the 300 and 400 mkII 2.8s were in stock. I've emailed them about the price for the 600 mKII and the price they list is valid once Canon ships them some. I'm waiting on the list to buy it from them.

The 600 f/4 mkII is $1600 cheaper than at B&H

arbitrage's gear list:arbitrage's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III +13 more
tonywong
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
In reply to arbitrage, Mar 6, 2012

The prices are real for all the deals in Canada. I saved over $1000 on my 400mm 2.8 IS II, when compared to the benchmark B&H price.

Don't know why the new super-teles are so much cheaper when the new bodies don't show any savings in Canada.

tonywong's gear list:tonywong's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +80 more
Rawmeister
Like?

this is good info - thanks Deji and tony

Rawmeister
Like?
In reply to arbitrage, Mar 6, 2012

good point about the exchange rate ripoff thing that visa does.
From my experirnce it's more like 2 to 2.5 percent though.
Not too bad, but very annoying none the less.

Deji
Like?
Re: 5D3 $3800 in Canada; Eating my words!
In reply to Deji, Jul 28, 2012

Yikes.

I'm so glad to be so wrong.
Since I wrote the post below, I've saved HUGE amounts of $$$ buying locally.

I got a 500 f/4 II from Cameracanada.com at for about $2,000 less than it would have cost me buying from B&H.

As if that wasn't enough, I saved over $,1000 buying my 1Dx from the same store compared with what I would have paid at B&H.

B&H have good after-sales service but the guys at cameracanada.com are absolutely fabulous.

I'm now convinced that there is absolutely no reason to even THINK of shopping across the border.

In fact, our neighbours to the south should be aware that they can save themselves some serious coin by shopping @ Canadian sites.

Deji wrote:

tonywong wrote:

Well said.

-- hide signature --

Deji

-- hide signature --

Deji

riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,002Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D3 $3800 in Canada; Eating my words!
In reply to Deji, Jul 28, 2012

Deji wrote:

Yikes.

I'm so glad to be so wrong.
Since I wrote the post below, I've saved HUGE amounts of $$$ buying locally.

I got a 500 f/4 II from Cameracanada.com at for about $2,000 less than it would have cost me buying from B&H.

As if that wasn't enough, I saved over $,1000 buying my 1Dx from the same store compared with what I would have paid at B&H.

How did you figure out the $1,000 savings for the 1DX?
B&H $USD = $6,799
CameraCanada $CAN = $6,999.99

B&H have good after-sales service but the guys at cameracanada.com are absolutely fabulous.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads