Fujifilm X-Pro 1 - A first look

Started Mar 1, 2012 | Discussions
newlens
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?
Fujifilm X-Pro 1 - A first look
Mar 1, 2012

Hi folks,

I am a professional wedding/portrait/travel photographer and Fujifilm have hired me to shoot some images for their upcoming product launch of the X-Pro 1 in Canada. They have also asked me to provide feedback to them as they are very interested in finding out a working pro's thoughts on the system after using it for a while. I know they have cameras in other photographer's hands (like Zack Arias in the USA) and I am impressed that they are interested in what we have to say.

Fujifilm have asked me not to share any images (at least not yet) as they want to present them to the press/public when the product launches in Canada, but gave me the go ahead to speak about the camera and lenses. Keep in mind it is a pre-production camera but it does seem to have fairly recent firmware on it.

Anyway, I have been using the camera in my studio for a week now and have it for another week. I am using it on assignments and with real clients - I wanted to know if this is a camera I would be happy to use alongside (or perhaps, instead of) my other gear. If you are interested in my initial impressions, you can read them here:

http://holyfstop.blogspot.com/2012/03/fujifilm-x-pro-1-first-look.html

Take care and as I find out more about the camera (and start using a production unit), I will be more than happy to share that information.

Cheers,
Roel

newlens's gear list:newlens's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D610
JSTB
Regular MemberPosts: 262
Like?
Re: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 - A first look
In reply to newlens, Mar 1, 2012

Excellent review. THANK YOU!!! Now if I could only get my camera. I'm also upgrading to the D800 this year, but the camera I'm excited about is the X Pro.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
smatty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,798Gear list
Like?
In reply to newlens, Mar 1, 2012

Thank you Roel!

Your personal impressions about the camera are much appreciated.

I am especially interested in AF performance as my X100 has been often "sluggish" and let me down by not focus-locking onto a models eyes (1.5 meter or closer distance) many times more than I find acceptable. This gets worse in low or very even (low contrast) lighting situations.

Has the X-Pro 1 always been better in those situations or are they on par at a certain low light or low contrast scenes?

With the faster (f1.4) and shallower depth of field lenses they had to improved the AF otherwise they would not give the camera into the hands of a pro wedding/portrait photographer, right?

Cheers,
Smatty

Homepage => http://www.PhotosdeLux.com
Recent Flickr Photos => http://www.flickr.com/photos/internationalphotos/

smatty's gear list:smatty's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D +16 more
framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
In reply to newlens, Mar 2, 2012

Thanks, for the thoughtful review - will look forward to your evolving comments!

I've been trying to stay patient awaiting the arrival of Xpro-1 at B&H. This review
makes waiting just that much more difficult. This camera is just so cool!

-Framus

framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,641Gear list
Like?

The question is, when you return the camera, would you buy one for yourself?

newlens wrote:

Hi folks,

I am a professional wedding/portrait/travel photographer and Fujifilm have hired me to shoot some images for their upcoming product launch of the X-Pro 1 in Canada. They have also asked me to provide feedback to them as they are very interested in finding out a working pro's thoughts on the system after using it for a while. I know they have cameras in other photographer's hands (like Zack Arias in the USA) and I am impressed that they are interested in what we have to say.

Fujifilm have asked me not to share any images (at least not yet) as they want to present them to the press/public when the product launches in Canada, but gave me the go ahead to speak about the camera and lenses. Keep in mind it is a pre-production camera but it does seem to have fairly recent firmware on it.

Anyway, I have been using the camera in my studio for a week now and have it for another week. I am using it on assignments and with real clients - I wanted to know if this is a camera I would be happy to use alongside (or perhaps, instead of) my other gear. If you are interested in my initial impressions, you can read them here:

http://holyfstop.blogspot.com/2012/03/fujifilm-x-pro-1-first-look.html

Take care and as I find out more about the camera (and start using a production unit), I will be more than happy to share that information.

Cheers,
Roel

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?
In reply to LaFonte, Mar 2, 2012

I think he did said that he preordered the camera + 3 lens in the review.

newlens
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, Mar 2, 2012

hellocrowley wrote:

You are correct - I have pre-ordered the whole the body and all 3 lenses plus an extra battery. This plus my X100 (I am hoping) will be my overseas travel and general "lightweight" kit.

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?

Are you buying an extra battery, other reviews said battery life is poor.

newlens wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

You are correct - I have pre-ordered the whole the body and all 3 lenses plus an extra battery. This plus my X100 (I am hoping) will be my overseas travel and general "lightweight" kit.

Bobtheamateur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,446Gear list
Like?

Thanks for your impressions and sharing them with the community here. You said the color has a film like quality. How does the tonality compare with your D3s? For events I use my D3s and Quantums,,,the combo being very reliable, the files gorgeous. (Not to say my S5 as my second cam is a slouch.)

Bob

Bobtheamateur's gear list:Bobtheamateur's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

Thank you!

Can't wait to hear more and see your results. Biggest worry is AF for me, and it seems that there are mixed results among reviewers. Hopefully the more positive reviews are correct.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
newlens
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, Mar 2, 2012

hellocrowley wrote:

Are you buying an extra battery, other reviews said battery life is poor.

I travel to remote regions sometimes, so I need an extra battery (or two). Like I said in my (quasi) review, I am getting 320 shots with moderate chimping and the battery indicator went down 1 bar (out of 3) on a fully charged battery. Fujifilm told me they expected 450-500 shots per charge (and I think that is accurate) if you don't use the rear LCD a lot.

I can get 2,000+ on my D3s batteries, but they are MUCH large than Fujifilm's.

Personally, I think the battery is good (not stellar, but good) given the battery's size.

newlens
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, Mar 2, 2012

Asylum Photo wrote:

Thank you!

Can't wait to hear more and see your results. Biggest worry is AF for me, and it seems that there are mixed results among reviewers. Hopefully the more positive reviews are correct.

-- hide signature --

I haven't fully tested the AF, but compared to the X100, it is snappier and I get a much better keeper rate in low light. It does struggle in extremely low light (especially the 60mm macro), but very few cameras can handle that situation.

In normal shooting conditions, I can lock AF in a second or less. It is not the "fastest" AF of all cameras I own (my D3s is still the champ) but I have no complaints with the X-Pro1's.

As I keep shooting for the next week, I will keep updating my blog with new information. I hope to get a production unit shortly, so I look forward to seeing how the final camera performs.

ohmydentist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,828
Like?
thanks !!

Will look forward to hearing more from you. ^^

-- hide signature --

^ ^

Just Shoot !

Threshold Tech
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?

Is the official launch the event my Fuji rep invited me to next Thursday March 8 in Toronto? I hope so. Looking forward to it.

Threshold Tech's gear list:Threshold Tech's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
JNathanson
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

You say you will carry both the x100 and x Pro 1 in your "lightweight" kit. When would you see yourself reaching for the x100 over the X-Pro 1?

Jay (a fellow Canadian)

newlens
Like?
In reply to JNathanson, Mar 2, 2012

JNathanson wrote:

You say you will carry both the x100 and x Pro 1 in your "lightweight" kit. When would you see yourself reaching for the x100 over the X-Pro 1?

Jay (a fellow Canadian)

The 35mm (effective) focal length is one I really like (and suits me well). I am curious to see how often I pull out the X100 now that I will ultimately get an X-Pro1 and will take it overseas with me. I still really enjoy the X100, but I hope it does not get lonely. Wait and see I suppose.

When I return from Asia, I do plan to share my experience with both cameras.

newlens
Like?
In reply to Threshold Tech, Mar 2, 2012

Threshold Tech wrote:

Is the official launch the event my Fuji rep invited me to next Thursday March 8 in Toronto? I hope so. Looking forward to it.

I believe so.

samhain
Senior MemberPosts: 1,105
Like?

That was a nice read, look forward to reading your other entries.
How is the bokeh on the 60mm?

jacketpotato
Regular MemberPosts: 496
Like?
AF Re: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 - A first look

newlens wrote:

I haven't fully tested the AF, but compared to the X100, it is snappier and I get a much better keeper rate in low light. It does struggle in extremely low light (especially the 60mm macro), but very few cameras can handle that situation.

In normal shooting conditions, I can lock AF in a second or less. It is not the "fastest" AF of all cameras I own (my D3s is still the champ) but I have no complaints with the X-Pro1's.

I think the most telling is "It does struggle in extremely low light (especially the 60mm macro)" i.e. the AF is lens dependent ... this is true for all cameras including D3s. There are a few Canon, Nikon AF lenses with fast AF and many Canon, Nikon AF lenses with slow AF.

I am thus surprised reviewers and forumees expecting fast AF from a landscape, f1.4 & macro.

-- hide signature --

The real artist is the subject, the photographer an admiring devotee.

flysurfer
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
Re: AF Re: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 - A first look
In reply to jacketpotato, Mar 2, 2012

jacketpotato wrote:

I am thus surprised reviewers and forumees expecting fast AF from a landscape, f1.4 & macro.

Really? I'm surprised they didn't expect the lens to also make them breakfast.

That said: Of course AF performance is focal length dependent, just like it also depends on the distance between camera and subject. The closer, the more difficult and time consuming it can be. It also depends on the difference between the focus distance of your previous and your current subject.

But everybody knows that. At least everybody who as ever used a AF camera (especially one with CDAF) SHOULD know that.

flysurfer's gear list:flysurfer's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR +40 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads