Official Canon 5DIII Disappointment Thread

Started Mar 1, 2012 | Discussions
Edymagno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,885Gear list
Like?
Official Canon 5DIII Disappointment Thread
Mar 1, 2012

Because it will be needed. Here is my contribution:

It is nothing but a pathetic offer from Canon, especially when comparing to Nikon D800.
$1,000 usd for an improved AF system and a new button! LOL!

Eduardo

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SpartanWarrior
Senior MemberPosts: 2,870Gear list
Like?
Re: Official Canon 5DIII Disappointment Thread
In reply to Edymagno, Mar 1, 2012

Then go buy a D800 problem solved for you. I like what I see in the 5D III.

Edymagno wrote:

It is nothing but a pathetic offer from Canon, especially when comparing to Nikon D800.

Eduardo

SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mick5
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?

No way i will stay with canon anymore, their engineers works v hard from past 3 years to improve 1 Megapixel.

Mick5's gear list:Mick5's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?

I wanted 30mp, give or take a couple, 7fps, and option of no AA filter.

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
Apewithacamera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,246
Like?

Sony will take on the D800 before Canon will mark my words!!

jgb
jgb
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,505
Like?

I will wait to see some of the sensor metrics before being officially disappointed, but I am not too hopeful.

Phil King
Contributing MemberPosts: 581Gear list
Like?

I like what I see, but am bitterly disappointed with the price if it really is $3500 body only. I sold my 40D and 5 lenses to get this plus hopefully a 24-70L, but it looks like being enough for a deposit only.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Phil King's gear list:Phil King's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
ukat123
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?

Edymagno wrote:

Eduardo

Lets' wait and see bit I agree this is NOT looking good!!!! What is worse is that the Canon marketing team believe Canon customers are stupid. Let me explain.

They market the 5DIII as the super king of speed and quality with crazy ISO....OK, If it was true, that would be great. But think again. The 1DX is marketed as the best in class flagship camera for both ISO and speed with only 18mp....An they want us to believe that their semi pro 22mp 5DIII will be the one to beet in terms of image quality???? There is something weird and inconsistent in their messages. If the 18mp 1DX is the king, there is no way the 22mp 5DIII is better. Right? At best, the 5DIII offers the same quality as the 1DX.....VERY VERY unlikely. They would have put 22mp in the 1DX then with 10fps instead of 12, and that would have been good enough.

Now, follow me, If the D4 is better than the 1DX in ISO quality or at the same level....What makes the 5DIII??? at best at the level of the D800...but the D800 has 36mp!!!

Who cares about the new canon "intelligent viewfinder". Gadgetry. I don't get it. BUT Let's wait and see.

David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,557Gear list
Like?

Edymagno wrote:

Eduardo

I suspect that this thing will hit the street for $2699 (or there about) just like the other ones have. So I don't get your point regarding the $1000.

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Hughesnet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024Gear list
Like?
In reply to ukat123, Mar 1, 2012

Maybe the marketing team means in its class.

Hughesnet's gear list:Hughesnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +1 more
CampyOne
Contributing MemberPosts: 559
Like?

Amen brother. This is Canon's response to the D800? I don't personally care that much, I'm very happy with my 1Ds MarkIII (and considering the direction Canon seems to be going, I'll be happy with it for a long time). But it's kind of sad to see Canon bringing out such lame "upgrades" while all around them others seem to be pushing the envelope.

Edymagno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,885Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Hull, Mar 1, 2012

At $2,700.00 welcoming this camera would improve a lot I'm sure. Personally at this price I would stand neutral.
Eduardo

David Hull wrote:

Edymagno wrote:

Eduardo

I suspect that this thing will hit the street for $2699 (or there about) just like the other ones have. So I don't get your point regarding the $1000.

wombat779
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?

I am somewhat disappointed too, assuming the leaked specs are correct. I have been planning to move to the D800, but was holding on a slim hope that Canon would wow me. The parts that newly disappoint are (in addition to the price and other disappointing items from prior rumors):

1. 6 FPS instead of 7. I don't really use or need fast FPS, but 6 doesn't really seem like all that much greater than the D800, especially since the D800 can run at 5 without a grip at higher resolution in 1.2x crop mode.

2. Sticking with the 63 zone 7D metering system rather than the 1dx metering system. The D800 has the full pro metering system with face detection, and I was hoping/expecting the 5D3 would get the same.

3. No additional function button near the DOF preview like the 1Dx. Lack of programmable body buttons is one of my peeves with the 5D2, and the D800 appears to give us two to play with (the record movie button and fn button), as does the 1dx (excluding the additional ones in portrait mode).

Absent something astonishing from sample images, I'm afraid these specs get a bit of a "meh" from me.

Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,272Gear list
Like?
I'm glad there's going to be a lot of former Canon owners

I'm looking forward to all of the Canon guys going over to Nikon.

When they provide their first hand experiences with Nikon's latest with full knowledge of being recent Canonites, I'll be able to make a more informed decision on whether or not I too should become a Niknonian.

Even if I decide that switching to Nikon is not worth the cost to me personally, I'm hopeful that enough people make the jump to force Canon's marketing department to face reality sooner.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +39 more
Jon Stern
Contributing MemberPosts: 923
Like?
In reply to CampyOne, Mar 1, 2012

CampyOne wrote:

This is Canon's response to the D800?

How can it be Canon's response to a camera only announced a few weeks ago. Do you have any idea how long it takes to design a new camera?

Jon Stern
Contributing MemberPosts: 923
Like?
In reply to Mick5, Mar 1, 2012

Mick5 wrote:

No way i will stay with canon anymore, their engineers works v hard from past 3 years to improve 1 Megapixel.

If you believe that it's all about the number of megapixels, I suggest you go and buy Nikon's new 41Mpixel phone.

Robert Holloway
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,626Gear list
Like?
A genuine dilemma

My GF has the 5D2 which I have used extensively and love the image quality of the camera. However, for OUR use, the AF system is the weak link as we shoot dogs. It's the weak link in a few situations, but we get by. The IQ is stellar

I have the 30D and been waiting for a year for this.

The camera looks great from a spec POV. In fact pretty much ideal. However, I've been trained by Apple and other tech companies to expect more for the same or less.

I have no hate for Nikon, but look over there and see the D800 at $2999. Then I see the 5D3 rumored at $3500. Makes no sense.

So here's the deal for me, and I'm sure others are in this boat

At $2799 I'd buy the new 5D3

Above $3000 I'll but a 5D2 at a price that is sure to drop. I'll have an awesome camera that will delight me 95% of the time. The extra 5% is just not worth $500-1000

The other huge caveat is that I believe that within 3-5 years the amateur DSLR market will be on it's knees. All the super rapid development is in smaller size cameras. Mark these words. Within 3 years, we will have a super small camera with an interchangeable lens system that rivals the IQ of the 5D2

It's certainly not dull. In fact the photo sector is more exciting today that it's been in years

Final thoughts, pricing aside, the sun will come up tomorrow - I think

Rob

-- hide signature --

'Nothing beats fast glass'

Robert Holloway's gear list:Robert Holloway's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +7 more
ukat123
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?
In reply to Jon Stern, Mar 1, 2012

Jon Stern wrote:

Mick5 wrote:

If you believe that it's all about the number of megapixels, I suggest you go and buy Nikon's new 41Mpixel phone.

You mean Nokia. It is only the sensor. Not the images which are 41mp They do pixel binning to 8mp.

Iphone 5 will get 12mp...phones are going after the Point and Shoot cameras which will disappear sooner then later.

In this trend, DSLR will only survive if they are technologically far superior and offer far superior quality images. The market is shaking up!

Earthlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,170
Like?
Too expensive for what it is. Nikon is the future. [nt]

nt

Al Giordano
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?
All the haters and Negative Canon people stay in this thread ONLY!
In reply to jgb, Mar 1, 2012

This is a great thread; To corral all the Canon haters, negative people, nay-sayers, whiners, constant complainers, spoiled brats, know it all's, etc.

Keep all the other topics free and clear of all this damaging negativity so that those of us who genuinely love photography and Canon cameras can have a fruitful, enjoyable exchange of thoughts, ideas, and creativity.

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads