Anyone using a Thinktank UD35 to haul MFT gear?

Started Mar 1, 2012 | Discussions
Doug
Contributing MemberPosts: 963Gear list
Like?
Anyone using a Thinktank UD35 to haul MFT gear?
Mar 1, 2012

If so, lets see what you can fit inside this bag!
--
There is no such thing as taking 'too many pictures', you can always delete
the extra ones, but you can never go back in time, and take more pictures...

See profile for equipment (so far)

Doug's gear list:Doug's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
453C
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone using a Thinktank UD35 to haul MFT gear?
In reply to Doug, Mar 1, 2012

The Urban Disguise 35 is too big for me.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/urban-disguise-35-v2.aspx

I like the Digital Holster 10. It's a very well made, thought out bag.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-10-v2.aspx
--
http://453c.smugmug.com/

453C's gear list:453C's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?

I have the older UD35, but basically the same bag. I put in it my E-30 with grip, the 7-14mm, 12-60mm, 50-200mm SWD, extension tube, teleconverter, my Gitzo GT1550T travel tripod (Yes, IN the bag) and I could even fit the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 but it was a tight fit. I don't remember if the flash was in there too. Still could of fit a netbook size laptop or ipad in the back.

It's WAY too big for m43s gear in my opinion. The biggest problem is that it's just a deep bag and with the small lenses it's going to be like finding a needle in a haystack. Maybe with the bigger lenses, upcoming 12-35, 35-100 and 75-300 with the hoods extended. MAYBE.

I liked the bag, but I'd recommend you search for something else.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if you could every m4/3s lens currently made in this bag, plus some other gear. Definitely so if you only take the 100-300 or the 75-300.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +22 more
453C
Like?
In reply to CharlesTokyo, Mar 1, 2012

Sounds like the Retrospective series might be a better fit for MFT.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-bags/retrospective.aspx
--

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
CharlesTokyo
Like?
In reply to 453C, Mar 1, 2012

To be honest I've take a good hard took at the TT Retrospective 5 bag a few times, but i think it's still too big in a few ways. A lot of bags are still too deep, especially when you read reviews about users putting in a D3s into them. That might be handy with a gripped E-M5, but I'd like something slimmer. The lenses tend to be small too and most of these bags are designed to hold a thick 85mm 1.4/70-200 2.8. Because of that they are also generally over padded for m43s, as is the Retrospective series. I wish they'd be a little less tall and wider (although it makes it hard to fit an iPad in if you like to carry one of those).

I love the thin little pockets on the side in the inside of the bag though. A great way to organize a lot of small gear and a good place to put lenses too.

The Retrospective 5 still weights 1000 grams. My m43s kit with three lenses and the EVF only weighs about 700. Even with a couple filters and the FL300 flash I probably wouldn't be up to 1000 grams. Can't they make something lighter weight?

I'm considering the Bare Bones Bag. Expensive, but lightweight (about 450g). Doesn't over do it on the padding and seems big enough to hold what I'd normally want to carry while walking around the city. It's actually a little bigger than the Retrospective 5, but narrower by 2" in external dimension at half the weight. There are some comments in the rangefinder forum he links too. He's had a range of bags people have liked. I think I might have preferred one of his older designs, but this one looks quite nice.

http://figitalrevolution.com/bare-bones-bag-camera-bag-leica-lomo-lca-zeiss-rangefinder/

Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +22 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,283Gear list
Like?

453C wrote:

The Urban Disguise 35 is too big for me.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/urban-disguise-35-v2.aspx

I like the Digital Holster 10. It's a very well made, thought out bag.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-10-v2.aspx

The Sling-O-Matic 10 looks pretty good to me. Although still a bit too thick for M4/3.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/sling-o-matic-10.aspx

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
hfg
hfg
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
how about the TT "Hubba Hubba Hiney" bag?

You might check out the Think Tank "Hubba Hubba Hiney" bag. It seems about right for m43 sized gear.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/hubba-hubba-hiney.aspx

-howard

hfg's gear list:hfg's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1
CharlesTokyo
Like?
In reply to jeffharris, Mar 1, 2012

I have the sling-o-matic 10, but I haven't used it with m43s. If I have time tonight I'll put some lenses in and take some photos.

I sat down and did a little calculation to see what would fit in the bag.

3 bodies with lenses attached (up to 100mm, less for the G/GH bodies), 4 FL600R flashes, the 100-300 or 75-200 plus another 2-5 lenses (or nearly all the primes) would probably fit without being tight depending on the exact bodies. So, yeah, it's a big bag.

At 140mm deep, you can put lenses side by side. Leaving a bit of a fudge factor you could put every lens on the four-thirds.org lens list (excluding mrk II or R versions) in the bag and still have space for another 2-3 bodies.

Compared to how much of my 4/3s system I could put in the bag the m4/3s is really compact, although it wouldn't work if the bag was just a little smaller.

The Hubba Hubba Hiney bag looks pretty good, although I hate all the stuff on the bag of their bags to support the belt system.

453C
Like?

CharlesTokyo wrote:

I have the sling-o-matic 10, but I haven't used it with m43s. If I have time tonight I'll put some lenses in and take some photos.

I sat down and did a little calculation to see what would fit in the bag.

3 bodies with lenses attached (up to 100mm, less for the G/GH bodies), 4 FL600R flashes, the 100-300 or 75-200 plus another 2-5 lenses (or nearly all the primes) would probably fit without being tight depending on the exact bodies. So, yeah, it's a big bag.

At 140mm deep, you can put lenses side by side. Leaving a bit of a fudge factor you could put every lens on the four-thirds.org lens list (excluding mrk II or R versions) in the bag and still have space for another 2-3 bodies.

That's a big bag, baby!

Compared to how much of my 4/3s system I could put in the bag the m4/3s is really compact, although it wouldn't work if the bag was just a little smaller.

The Hubba Hubba Hiney bag looks pretty good, although I hate all the stuff on the bag of their bags to support the belt system.

That's an interesting option. I wish a TT dealer was nearby so I could take a look without ordering one.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/hubba-hubba-hiney.aspx

With the NEX-7, NX200, E-M5, and GH3(?), mirrorless systems might get a little more attention from bag makers. TT already has a wide selection of well made bags with good features, so I can see them leading the way.

Someone mentioned how heavy the Retrospective bags are, and it's probably due to the canvas. My nylon Digital Holster isn't nearly as portly.
--

Thomas Kachadurian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,835Gear list
Like?

Too big. I have and used a UD40, which is about the same size, but turned 90ยบ. I could put in 5 lenses, two bodies, lunch, reading material, iPad, etc. Too much.

The point of M43 is small and with that bag I carried everything and then some.

Right now I'm using a Mountainsmith Messenger Redura bag with a couple of Domke inserts. It will hold a GH2, 7.5, 12, 25, 14-45, and 45-200 with 2 polarizers, batteries, and other stuff just fine. More importantly the bag and inserts empty weigh almost nothing so the only weight I carry is hardware, not bag. The Think Tank bags are 2-3 pounds empty.

Tom

http://www.kachadurian.com

CharlesTokyo
Like?

Here is a image of my Sling-o-matic 10 loaded with all my m43s gear. That's a GF1 with the EVF, 45mm + hood and RRS L-plate. The stack of lenses with the Panasonic 14-42PZ also has the 40-140R and 12mm f2. The other lens in the 9-18. The lonely looking camera is a GF1 with the 20mm and small hood. If I place the red camera face down I can actually place the other camera on top of, hood extended and both fit.

I didn't bother trying to get more dividers setup, but it's all really loose in here and you'll need to really make sure it's more secure than this. Two of those lenses are reasonably tall and there was still room on top for another. If you have a lot of small pancakes I don't know how you'd manage them without having to dig through many layers to get them.

It's really a massive bag for m43s. To think I couldn't put all my 43s gear in here... and sorry for the bad iPhone shot.

453C
Like?

Charles, it's the perfect shot to show what's needed. Thanks for taking the time.
--

CharlesTokyo
Like?

Also, it weights 1.2kg by itself and 2.8kg with two bodies and 6 lenses. Only 1.9 with 1 bodies, primes & EVF. That's a lot of weight in the bag.

CharlesTokyo
Like?
UD35 photos

Since I was on a roll with the sling-o-magic here is the UD35. Again, sorry for the crappy iPhone photos.

This is the UD35 with the 40-150, 9-18, 14-42PZ and 12mm on the side. The two cameras have the 45mm + hood and 20mm.

This is the exact same bag, with the m43s cameras still in it. I threw the 43s 7-14, 12-60 and a E-510 on top. Still really easy to close the bag.

For fun, this is the UD20. Two lenses on top, three on the bottom. The camera on the bottom will be my IR conversion. The other GF1 with the 45mm and hood extended goes over the top. Little tight of a fit, but half the reason is the dividers aren't the right type. They don't sell this bag anymore, but with only a single body, 2-4 lenses it would take your accessories just fine.

This bag is 8"x8.25"x4.25" ID the Hubba Hubba Hiney is 10.6" W x 6.7" H x 4.0" D. I imagine it would work great. Wider and shorter is well suited to m43s.

Doug
Contributing MemberPosts: 963Gear list
Like?
Re: UD35 photos
In reply to CharlesTokyo, Apr 17, 2012

Thanks Charles! I like the idea of the bare bones bag, but I am concerned it will not take my iPad in it's case..... I don't take my iPad outside naked :)! If you do get the bare bones bag, please take a bunch of pics with the gear in it! I guess all this could be posted on cabbages.com, eh?
--
There is no such thing as taking 'too many pictures', you can always delete
the extra ones, but you can never go back in time, and take more pictures...

See profile for equipment (so far)

Doug's gear list:Doug's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads