Glasses-wearing NEX-7 Owners: How is the EVF?

Started Feb 29, 2012 | Discussions
PBR Streetgang
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
Glasses-wearing NEX-7 Owners: How is the EVF?
Feb 29, 2012

There are a few scattered posts on this subject, but now that the NEX-7 is in wider use, I would like to poll glasses-wearing users as to how they like the EVF. Any problems encountered?

Thanks in advance.

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,910Gear list
Like?
Rubber eyecup too hard.
In reply to PBR Streetgang, Feb 29, 2012

The eyecup is too hard. You have to press hard with your glasses to see the full frame of EVF. Up until now I have been using the viewfinder with my glasses off, because of the issue.

Combine that with the inconvenience of the clip on shape, snagging my tiny bag when whipping out the camera or stowing it away, and I find I haven't been keeping it permanently attached.

I only recently removed the eyecup, and that helps, but now I am more concerned about scratching my lenses.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pocobear
Regular MemberPosts: 160
Like?
Re: Rubber eyecup too hard.
In reply to tesilab, Feb 29, 2012

I have a rather strong prescription for my glasses and, if I keep my eye centered in the VF I can see probably between 98% and 100% of the VF with my Nex-5N with EVF, and my Nex-7. I don't use the large eye cup and I haven't noticed any scratches on my glasses from either one. YMMV

viztyger
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,251Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pocobear, Feb 29, 2012

The NEX-7's EVF's eyecup is not quite as comfortable to use with my glasses as the one on my GH2 was. But that one was much larger, so that's to be expected. Still, I find the NEX-7's EVF comfortable enough; I can see all of the frame without pressing too hard. At least you can press into the cup without any negative consequences; the NEX-5N's external EVF pops up on its hinge when you pressed your eye into it. Sony should have provided a way to lock the hinge.

I've also tried shooting without either my glasses or the rubber eyecup. I found that taking my glasses off and storing them each time I wanted to take a photo was just plain impractical. It is possible to shoot without the removable eyecup, but that lets in stray light around the edges. So shooting with my glasses on and using the rubber eyecup turned out to work best for me.

-- hide signature --
 viztyger's gear list:viztyger's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 NEX5R Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,910Gear list
Like?
In reply to viztyger, Feb 29, 2012

Yeah, I even thought of wearing (gasp!) a strap on my eyeglasses, so I could just drop them to take a photo. Practical, but really dorky looking.

This could be the incentive to go back to contact lenses.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Marvin Doering
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571Gear list
Like?
As comfortable as any of them as far as I can see.
In reply to tesilab, Feb 29, 2012

The only complaint I have about the eyepiece is I find it difficult to take on and off for cleaning. Perhaps I will get used to it.
--
MRD

Marvin Doering's gear list:Marvin Doering's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-620 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
Jerry 39
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?
Re: As comfortable as any of them as far as I can see.
In reply to Marvin Doering, Mar 1, 2012

My NEX 7 hasn't arrived yet but i'm sure it has a diopter adjustment for the viewfinder. Can't you just take your glasses off and dial in the correct adjustment. That should take care of any problem. Correct me if i'm mistaken.

Jerry 39's gear list:Jerry 39's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
Deak
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jerry 39, Mar 1, 2012

I'm afraid that doesn't help if you have an astigmatism.
--
Deak

Deak's gear list:Deak's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Olympus E-M1 +20 more
PBR Streetgang
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
In reply to Deak, Mar 1, 2012

Thanks for all the responses

Lars
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?
Re: Glasses-wearing NEX-7 Owners: How is the EVF?
In reply to PBR Streetgang, Mar 1, 2012

I actually do feel an issue - the EVF quality itself is fine, but I struggle to keep it activated - the eye sensor switches it off fairly often when I don't expect it. I have the included rubber hood attached.

Lars's gear list:Lars's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
infomatique
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
In reply to PBR Streetgang, Mar 2, 2012

I actually remove my glasses and it works perfectly for me.

PBR Streetgang wrote:

There are a few scattered posts on this subject, but now that the NEX-7 is in wider use, I would like to poll glasses-wearing users as to how they like the EVF. Any problems encountered?

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

William Murphy, Dublin, Ireland
http://www.infomatique.org

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,436
Like?
re: with the eyecup on, and coupled with adjusting wheel...
In reply to tesilab, Mar 2, 2012

...of the diopter sheer stiffness to turn, it is pretty darn tough to
adjust the N7's diopter with glasses on = when comfortable in
adjusting... my glasses are just far enough from VF that display
gets back to LCD all too easily - adjusting wheel is too close
so the access is almost blocked by eyecup!! And without eyecup
a stray light forms rapidly even bigger problem (+ a danger of
scratching);

jpr2

tesilab wrote:

The eyecup is too hard. You have to press hard with your glasses to see the full frame of EVF. Up until now I have been using the viewfinder with my glasses off, because of the issue.

Combine that with the inconvenience of the clip on shape, snagging my tiny bag when whipping out the camera or stowing it away, and I find I haven't been keeping it permanently attached.

jvideographer
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
In reply to PBR Streetgang, Mar 2, 2012

I have had problems focusing on the EVF screen unless I take off my glasses. Must be my prescription. I also find it difficult to precisely use the diopter adjustment wheel. I'm going to try it without the eyecup and/or get a string for my glasses.
On the other hand, I like using the LCD just as well, for now.
--
John

jvideographer's gear list:jvideographer's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +6 more
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,049
Like?
In reply to jvideographer, Mar 2, 2012

EVF works great, with glasses not so great but usable...biggest problem is the EVF doesn't protrude far enough from the back of the Nex-7...of course if it did it would increase size and bulk to the point of being a disadvantage when getting in and out of a holster...

-- hide signature --
dtrph
Contributing MemberPosts: 693Gear list
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Apr 17, 2012

I wear bifocals and am trying to decide btwn the nex7 or a77 (own a700, nex3) so I tried them both at sony store and found the eyecup in the nex7 to be simply annoying!

While the nex7 looks like an awesome camera to me the feel of the eyecup turned me off completely from the camera - maybe in the near future there will be some 3rd party cups available that will offer a working alternative. But I can't use a camera that I feel uncomfortable looking through.

The evf experience on the other hand is very positive and an asset to the camera.
--
dancph

dtrph's gear list:dtrph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A65 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
In reply to PBR Streetgang, Apr 17, 2012

I can't attest to the 7, but the EVF on the 5n works fine with glasses. I would assume they are pretty close in specs.

wll

DihLin
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
In reply to wll, Apr 17, 2012

I find it rather usable with my glasses. I just remove the eyecup....but when I'm wearing my contacts, I keep eyecup on. Haven't had any problems yet.

sskim
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
In reply to DihLin, Apr 17, 2012

just got my NEX7 last week and still learning the camera. i too take my glasses off to use EVF. is there a way to disable the LCD so EVF is always on, turn off the auto sensing?

sskim's gear list:sskim's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +4 more
Carlgo
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
In reply to DihLin, Apr 17, 2012

Tried it all different ways, both cup and glasses on, one or the other removed. Now back to both on. Whatever blocks the light works best. This not the easiest camera in the world to use at noon on a sunny day. A baseball cap with a brim that can be adjusted to the side hip-hop style to provide shade is essential.

The diopter works well for me. I wear polarized dark glasses when outside and they are terrible and unusable in every way with this camera. But they are also terrible with the display on my car's instrument panel.

jlabate
Regular MemberPosts: 288Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carlgo, Apr 17, 2012

I need to wear my glasses when photographing to be able to read things closeup. Wearing them when using the EVF I needed to remove the eyecup to be able to get my eye close enough to see the entire frame. And the diopter adjustment works fine for me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads