Sigma 70-200 OS - Loud and Bad AF Servo?

Started Feb 29, 2012 | Discussions
kjbkix
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Sigma 70-200 OS - Loud and Bad AF Servo?
Feb 29, 2012

Just received the Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS yesterday and was shooting a bit inside last night. First the positives:

1) Image quality is superb....I have lots of gallery items with the Canon 2.8 IS II and the Sigma holds up to it no doubt.
2) Autofocus is accurate at all focal lengths, no MA needed

3) Takes the Sigma 1.4x TC very well...no drop in AF speed and sharpness is maintained.

4) OS is really impressive - I have sharp shots at 200mm all the way down to 1/4 sec (sitting down so a bit more stable) but still 1/13 standing up. This feature also translates to the 1.4x TC...I got sharp shots on 280mm at 1/20 or so.

So image-quality wise, I'm thrilled. However, a few things that make me think my copy is bad...

1) OS/AF are really loud. There are clicks, whizzing sounds, etc that I didn't notice in 2 copies I tried in a local store.

2) AF Servo isn't focusing on ANYTHING. I'm on one-shot AF with an easy focus situation and it locks right on, but change to Servo and no go. It's not zero% success, and I was using it in challenging conditions (indoors or on cars on a dark road) but still, One Shot AF seemed fine.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and whether you think it's worth requesting a new copy considering the optical properties seem pretty great on this one. Body is a 7D by the way.

Thanks!

kjbkix's gear list:kjbkix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Paul North
Senior MemberPosts: 1,605
Like?
Re: Sigma 70-200 OS - Loud and Bad AF Servo?
In reply to kjbkix, Feb 29, 2012

I have this lens and it is great! very sharp and dependable, but I don't have any of the issues you are having?? I would get it replaced.

I have not heard of to many people experiencing poor optical quality from this lens.

Paul.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kjbkix
Like?
In reply to Paul North, Mar 7, 2012

To update this thread, I've since used it outside in normal light and the Servo works very well (as well as any other lens on 7D anyway, still not great) and the IS noise seems more normal. Have a feeling it was just the impossible conditions and an overly quiet house that aroused my suspicions.

Used with Sigma 1.4x TC at Audubon Zoo in New Orleans last weekend and it performed wonderfully.

Paul North wrote:

I have this lens and it is great! very sharp and dependable, but I don't have any of the issues you are having?? I would get it replaced.

I have not heard of to many people experiencing poor optical quality from this lens.

Paul.

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Robert Krawitz
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?
In reply to kjbkix, Mar 8, 2012

kjbkix wrote:

To update this thread, I've since used it outside in normal light and the Servo works very well (as well as any other lens on 7D anyway, still not great) and the IS noise seems more normal. Have a feeling it was just the impossible conditions and an overly quiet house that aroused my suspicions.

There are a lot of options for AI Servo on the 7D. What settings are you using for what kind of shooting?

AI Servo isn't intended to be used for static subjects.

kjbkix
Like?
In reply to Robert Krawitz, Mar 8, 2012

Not really sure which options you're talking about but definitely not using Servo on static subjects. It worked well for some swinging orangutans at the zoo though.

Robert Krawitz wrote:

kjbkix wrote:

There are a lot of options for AI Servo on the 7D. What settings are you using for what kind of shooting?

AI Servo isn't intended to be used for static subjects.

Robert Krawitz
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?

kjbkix wrote:

Not really sure which options you're talking about but definitely not using Servo on static subjects. It worked well for some swinging orangutans at the zoo though.

In the custom functions, there are a lot of settings for controlling AF response and tracking. Also, what focus point selection mode are you using (single point, zone, single point expansion, single point high precision,full)?

wallybarthman
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?

That makes sense. I've found AI Servo on this lens to be quite good actually and the focus pretty quite as compared to, let's say, my Sigma 120-300 f2.8 HSM.

wallybarthman's gear list:wallybarthman's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
In reply to wallybarthman, Mar 8, 2012

Took me a while to find the AI Servo custom function on my 7D also. Once I tuned it to what I was shooting it is the perfect combo of tracking speed and focus accuracy. Still experimenting to see what each setting will do based on shooting conditions.

Also, if in lower light make sure to shoot on the more precise cross-type AF sensors (19 diamond shaped in the center) f5.6 or faster, or the single x-type in the center when using your f2.8 or faster lenses.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
kjbkix
Like?
In reply to Robert Krawitz, Mar 8, 2012

I tried a few focus point modes depending on the subject...but like I said it all worked very well after my initial findings. The failure was in my house with nearly no lights on, shooting at 2.8 (or f/4 with TC) at 3200 ISO. Very dark. I'm not really surprised that it struggled, only that One Shot AF worked fine in comparison.

Doesn't really seem to be anything wrong here after more regular use. Still thrilled with IQ and OS.

Robert Krawitz wrote:

kjbkix wrote:

In the custom functions, there are a lot of settings for controlling AF response and tracking. Also, what focus point selection mode are you using (single point, zone, single point expansion, single point high precision,full)?

kjbkix
Like?
In reply to ScottD1964, Mar 8, 2012

Thanks guys, I'll dig through the custom menus a bit more.

ScottD1964 wrote:

Took me a while to find the AI Servo custom function on my 7D also. Once I tuned it to what I was shooting it is the perfect combo of tracking speed and focus accuracy. Still experimenting to see what each setting will do based on shooting conditions.

Also, if in lower light make sure to shoot on the more precise cross-type AF sensors (19 diamond shaped in the center) f5.6 or faster, or the single x-type in the center when using your f2.8 or faster lenses.

Scott

speakyoursoul91
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to kjbkix, 3 days ago

same problem here I'm a little new to this setup or even into more depth dslr . When i stay on one shot mode or al focus I'm good . as soon as i set up for al servo it seems to focus on my subject and then go one step further and focus on the subject behind what i asked it to focus on . if you found any solutions i would be grateful . where I'm shooting is a church concert low light situation

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads