X100 users check your camera lugs for wear from the triangle ring neck strap

Started Feb 28, 2012 | Discussions
skimble
Senior MemberPosts: 6,173Gear list
Like?
refer the matter to the..
In reply to nojoka, Mar 15, 2012

consumer watchdog, I think this is clearly a design fault which they should cover for.

Within 3 month of moderate use I have seen heavy wear and tear on this lugs, they should have the courtesy to replace them for free and issue some similar rings like you showed from the Panasonic camera.

Even so I have now cord instead of rings it annoys me to see such bad customer service. I understand rubber wear on eye peace or paint fading of from lots of handling but this is their to allow the camera to be carried around. I have 3 years warranty and will make use of it in such matter and even when it means I have to refer the matter to the ombudsman.

Fuji has to learn that the customer is their bread and butter, don't put crap like this on us and expect us to pay for it. I would not even make the suggestion if they are smart they issue for free better rings to reduce wear and tear.

The same credit I give them for their innovative thinking I will give them a equally hard time for such unnecessary things.
I love Fuj but I want to become a fanboy make it easier for me.

skimble's gear list:skimble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jerrycambuk
Regular MemberPosts: 351
Like?
Re: refer the matter to the..
In reply to skimble, Mar 15, 2012

Nikon D700 user in peace.....

Guys, how about trying one of the Op-Tech straps on the X100? They make a range called 'pro-loop' which basically use cloth (nylon) loops as attachment mechanisms, so no metal rings. The only problem will be if they fit through the X100 strap lugs without the requirement for a ring first. If they do, bingo, problem solved!

I'm about to spring for an X100 to replace an Oly M43 as a back up to my Nikon, so I'm planning to use one of my thinner Op-Tech's for the X100. It would be interesting to see if anybody has tried this combo out........

nojoka
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
In reply to jerrycambuk, Mar 15, 2012

I definitely have to figure out a fabric solution There is so much wear to my lugs that I wouldn't even trust rounded metal ones at this point. Op-Tech straps might be a solution for some. I'll probably just switch to a hand strap and not carry it around my neck anymore.

Archiver
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,303
Like?
In reply to nojoka, Mar 15, 2012

Thanks so much for this alert. As a new X100 owner, and someone who carries a camera everywhere, things like this are very important. As soon as I got my X100 I put it on a strap designed for the Ricoh GRD, which has fabric cords instead of metal rings. I will sort out a more long term solution, probably getting some nylon cord to be used in place of the strap rings.
--
Archiver - Loving Every Image Captured Always
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

bartex
Regular MemberPosts: 175Gear list
Like?
Re: X100 users check your camera lugs for wear from the triangle ring neck strap
In reply to nojoka, Apr 13, 2012

$145 to change lugs!?! This is some kind of a joke. I am having the same problem (I mean its not a problem just yet) and I had my x100 since September only.

Yes I do carry it around quite a lot however this is what the camera is for, isn't it?

My x100 is still under warranty and I intend to get in touch with their support and claim it on warranty terms. Ultimately, I have used the camera as they advised and carried it around using their original neck strap (and leather case).

-1 for you Fuji...

bartex's gear list:bartex's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +2 more
nawknai
Contributing MemberPosts: 966Gear list
Like?
Just checked my lugs for the first time
In reply to bartex, Apr 13, 2012

They're wearing through. I rarely even look at the lugs, as they're hidden in my case.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
nand
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489Gear list
Like?
Re: X100 users check your camera lugs for wear from the triangle ring neck strap

The Fuji X100 lugs wearing as they do is clearly abnormal wear and tear. I have a 60 year old camera that shows minor lug wear with the strap showing a lot more than the lugs.

I removed the tri-angle metal loops and replaced them with nylon loops made from shoe laces with a nut in them that I slightly melted.

I also ordered an Olympus E-M5 with the works. Thank you Fuji, but I don’t like to be taken for a ride.

Nand.

-- hide signature --

nand's gear list:nand's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +23 more
Sutto
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?

Hey thanks Dude - you saved me a heap of grief. I have been using my X100 every day for the last 3-4 months. I am in the middle of a six month trip throughout Asia, taking pic's for the website. I never thought to check the lugs on the camera, and they are kind of hidden by the steel clips, so any damage had never been brought to my notice.

I have major wear in there - looks as if on one side of one of the rings it has worn about 1/4 of the way in. My 30 yr old Nikon FE, has virtually no wear on the lugs at all. The Fuji is less than a year old. Fuji - what are you thinking of putting that c##p on a beautiful camera like this?

I did a temporary repair (always carry an assortment of zip-ties with me when I travel). They are soft and strong so should be ok for a while. I will get it fixed properly when I get back to Australia in 3 months.
Sutto
http://www.philipsuttonphotography.com

obv
obv
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?

I'm sure the next firmware update will fix that.

(Sorry, I couldn't help it)

obv's gear list:obv's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D +7 more
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to obv, Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for the heads up!

I just checked mine and I have some major wear on it. I've had the camera for almost a year now and carry it everywhere. I was thinking of sending mine in for cleaning and perhaps to get the lugs replaced as well. I'm definitely going to be changing straps.

Birse Boy
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, Apr 19, 2012

I bought my X100 a month ago and have just completed a trip to Italy.

Already there is wear showing on the lugs and the paint on the AEL / AFL button has nearly disappeared.....not good enough Fuji ! My 7 year old 20D has no button paint wear and my 30+ year old minolta film slrs have no discernible wear on the strap lugs.

I love the camera and find it liberating to use but build quality / materials need looking at when the X200 appears.

I've now replaced the triangular strap rings with similar ones from one of the minolta slrs which are thicker and more rounded so should fit the lug better. There is also a plastic insert which stops the ring spinning round - I think the sharp edges of the "sprung" part of the Fuji rings is the culprit for a lot of the wear that people are seeing.

Bjorn S
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
In reply to Birse Boy, Apr 19, 2012

Birse Boy wrote:

I bought my X100 a month ago and have just completed a trip to Italy.

Already there is wear showing on the lugs and the paint on the AEL / AFL button has nearly disappeared.....not good enough Fuji !

My X100 suffered from the same problem and since I pointed it out Fuji replaced the back plate during service (it also had the SAB-problem). It is a very early series 12xxxxxxxx camera and I sort of had the impression that it only was the first series that had that problem.

What are the first digits in your serial number?

Bjorn S
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
In reply to Bjorn S, Apr 19, 2012

To clarify; I'm talking about the disappearing paint on the buttons...

simon shadowshow
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Bjorn S, Apr 21, 2012

so from what Im reading is a possible solution to use round clips rather than the supplied triangle ones (Im thinking in conjunction with the supplied neck strap or the leather case strap) ...

Or is it best not to use any metal clips at all ?

many thanks

simon

IKB
IKB
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?
In reply to nojoka, Apr 21, 2012

Thanks for the heads up. Only a small amount of wear but the lugs are made from brass, so I'm not surprised that they wear when rubbed by steel. The attachment to the lug needs to be softer than brass, something non-metallic.

For a company that has been making cameras for a long time, it's a poor show. I wonder if the X Pro-1 and X10 are similarly affected?

Here are a couple of possible solutions. I have ordered the first one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250970845895?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220562922676?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
--
Malcy

IKB's gear list:IKB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
songeun7
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
 songeun7's gear list:songeun7's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +3 more
Dennis
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?

Have only had my X10 for a short time, but I see no wear on the lugs - but I find the examples here a bit scary.

When checking mine, I became a bit curious about how your tri-angle metal strap clips are mounted. I could imagine that the ends of the metal in the clips could do quite a bit of grinding (in a softer material). I guess one could prevent the sharp ends having contact with the eyelet itself, and be inside the protective cover.

Dennis's gear list:Dennis's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S9100 Olympus C-2040 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-420 +1 more
Birse Boy
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
In reply to Bjorn S, Apr 21, 2012

in answer to the question my serial number starts with 13.

The only paint button wear is on the AEL/AFL button...interestingly this button lies under the horizontal fold of the Fuji case...it could be that as I was wandering around the slight internal ridge of the fold was rubbing the button....still not good enough when it's only a month old....before anyone asks I think it had been in stock at the shop a while, they had another which had a 13 serial number.

I'm much happier with the replacement rings I put on which are triangular but much more rounded, not as pointy as the Fuji ones, but will monitor to see how the lug wear situation develops

Archiver
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,303
Like?
In reply to Birse Boy, Apr 22, 2012

This thread has saved the lugs on my X100, but I have just checked my X10, and it does have a small amount of wear on the lugs. The camera is much lighter than the X100 but I won't take the chance. Off to buy another Ricoh neckstrap.

My solution to the X100 neckstrap was a little more involved. The Ricoh strap is a bit too thin for the X100's weight, so I took the main length of the strap off the cord connectors, and then attached a Leica M strap to the connectors. The result is a very good quality strap that will not wear the lugs of the X100.
--
Archiver - Loving Every Image Captured Always
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

Hypercane
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to songeun7, Apr 22, 2012

Do you think this is going to be thin enough to go through the camera lugs without using the supplied rings ?

songeun7 wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-1301082-Connectors/dp/B004N623WK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I just ordered this one. It will be a perfect solution.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads