Nokia N8 Photo Thread

Started Feb 28, 2012 | Discussions
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
Nokia N8 Photo Thread
Feb 28, 2012

It doesn't seem like there was a thread to dump everything you have into, so the idea came up to finally make one and showcase what you've done with it.

I have not done much with mine, nor used it to its potential, but I've started as of late. All, except for the graffiti are with only on-board adjustments.

Just extremely random shots while on a walk and simply clicking off.

ChinaM43User
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: Nokia N8 Photo Thread
In reply to snake_b, Feb 29, 2012

Here are a few from me to allow you to evaluate the quality of pictures from the phone. All of the pictures uploaded are untouched as they came out from the phone.

Along with the pictures, here is a quick summary of the highs and lows of the N8 camera

Highs
-The lens is excellent in terms of resolution and has a wide aperture of 2.8

-The 28mm equivalent is a very versatile focal length, making it easy to get everything in (this is very important for shots where you are at the right place at the right time but don't have much time to compose the shot)

-The 12MP sensor gives excellent resolution at base ISO, allowing some cropping to be done at still getting good prints

-Very strong (for a phone) and useful Xenon flash that is close in performance to what you would get in a budget compact camera

-Excellent video recording capabilities, in many cases I get more usable results out of this than my Olympus E-PL1 (which has a stronger jello effect when panning)

-Lens distortion is well corrected (non sure whether in hardware or software, but I don't care how it is accomplished, just the result)

-Gorilla glass front lens element means that no lens cover is needed, meaning that I can be ready to shoot with this very fast
-Shutter sound can be completely silenced allowing for a completely silent setup
-Option to use a real hardware shutter button or a touchscreen button
-Very stealthy when taking pictures, allowed into almost any venue

Lows
-Some noise in skies, even at base ISO.

-ISO 200 and 300 still give fairly good quality, but ISO 600 and up is pretty rough, especially if you have lots of dark areas in the image

-The lens flares a lot at night if there are many light sources, making it poor for photographing any type of light show (you can get decent results if you experiment though)
-Flash often produces red-eye, even in red-eye reduction mode

-Flare from lights indoors can often give off a hazy glare if you are not careful with composition

Gauges in a Subaru Version8 Impreza WRX Sti

Pilot Sport 3 tread pattern on rice

Shanghai Hongqiao Railway station

Picture from a bar in Shanghai

VanceInfo Technologies Shanghai meeting room (VanceInfo is a top Chinese IT Outsourcing company)

Shanghai World Financial Center viewing platform

Baidu Beijing Headquarters (they are the top search engine provider in China)

Best Buy in Shanghai (FYI, they are out of business here, also note the laundry hung out to dry in front of their main entrance)

Best Buy Shanghai's Escalator (this was taken while the escalator was operating)

A very high ISO shot that was literally taken in a cave in Shanxi, China

The view outside from the cave dwelling

Spring Airlines Bus add (why are they the China SSS?)

ChinaM43User's gear list:ChinaM43User's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lilianna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,660Gear list
Like?
Anada
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487Gear list
Like?

We got yesterday more than 15 cm new snow, totalling about 70 - 75 cm.

Today was the first day of spring! +5 C in shade and +30 c in sunshine!!!

A bench in a park

Antti
--

some pics: http://www.pbase.com/anada

Anada's gear list:Anada's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 808
Infms
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
In reply to Anada, Feb 29, 2012

[moved]

snake_b
Like?
In reply to Anada, Feb 29, 2012

What gets me about the N8 is how well it handles detail in scenes like yours. I often have problems with the scene definition with my other cams, but the N8 nails it every time.

Anada wrote:

We got yesterday more than 15 cm new snow, totalling about 70 - 75 cm.

Today was the first day of spring! +5 C in shade and +30 c in sunshine!!!

A bench in a park

Antti
--

some pics: http://www.pbase.com/anada

ryder78
Contributing MemberPosts: 545
Like?
In reply to ChinaM43User, Mar 4, 2012

ChinaM43User wrote:

I would never be able to get that quality with my N8. I would appreciate if you can let me know the settings that are on the N8 when you took this shot(or the other beautifully taken photos).

Thanks.

ps. are the settings of the phone adjusted everytime before a shot is taken, in accordance to the amount of light present ie. in daylight or at night(such as the photo of the display gauge of the Subaru)

Lilianna
Like?
In reply to snake_b, Mar 4, 2012
Lilianna
Like?
In reply to snake_b, Mar 4, 2012
Infms
Like?
In reply to snake_b, Mar 5, 2012

All taken with my Nokia N8. Mild post-processing done in Lightroom.

snake_b
Like?
In reply to Infms, Mar 5, 2012

Stunning!

I took some shots from a ski resort some weeks ago, but decided to can them because I used my regular cam. However, I regret having done that due to what I've seen the N8 can do. Additionally, the on-board adjustments post-shot are actually surprisingly powerful compared to compact cams.

Infms
Like?
In reply to snake_b, Mar 5, 2012

Thanks! I was surprised at how well the N8 handled the snow shots. Having it in my pocket the whole time meant that I could capture whatever looked good at the time. The detail this camera phone brings out is mind blowing! Have you noticed a change in quality after updating to Belle? My gut reaction is that there’s more noise during low-light shooting.

snake_b
Like?
In reply to Infms, Mar 5, 2012

To me, as well as others, quality is either identical or better. I tend to think it selects slightly more idea shutter settings and deploys the ND filter a bit better for nicer skies. Low light, no difference.

I am a bit annoyed with the AF light, though.

Infms wrote:

Thanks! I was surprised at how well the N8 handled the snow shots. Having it in my pocket the whole time meant that I could capture whatever looked good at the time. The detail this camera phone brings out is mind blowing! Have you noticed a change in quality after updating to Belle? My gut reaction is that there’s more noise during low-light shooting.

ryder78
Like?
In reply to ryder78, Mar 8, 2012

ryder78 wrote:

ChinaM43User wrote:

I would never be able to get that quality with my N8. I would appreciate if you can let me know the settings that are on the N8 when you took this shot(or the other beautifully taken photos).

Thanks.

ps. are the settings of the phone adjusted everytime before a shot is taken, in accordance to the amount of light present ie. in daylight or at night(such as the photo of the display gauge of the Subaru)

ChinaM43User, You still there? Would like to know the settings when you took this picture. Thanks.

ChinaM43User
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryder78, Mar 8, 2012

ryder78 wrote:

ryder78 wrote:

ChinaM43User wrote:

Thanks.

ChinaM43User, You still there? Would like to know the settings when you took this picture. Thanks.

Sorry for the slow reply, I had a nearly 40 degree (Celsius) fever so I wasn't online the past few days. Regarding the settings, I keep almost everything default and didn't do any post processing on these pictures. I am also not using any of the camera applications that can be installed on the phone, just what came preinstalled. A couple of notes about how I used the camera:
-Image Quality is set to 12M - 4:3 (instead of the default 9M - 16:9 setting)

-Light Sensitivity is usually set to Automatic, but sometimes I change that to low to keep the ISO (and noise levels) down

-I shut the flash off when I want to preserve the atmosphere, and when I can remember to do so I set the flash to red-eye reduction mode when photographing people (I also sometimes force it to one during daylight to give some fill in of shadows, or when shooting a back-lit photo).

-I very seldom change any other settings (when I am on a planned photography outing I bring my Micro 4/3rds camera with me). I have occasionally changed the exposure setting to stop blown highlights, but it is rarely needed (unlike my old Canon compact which frequently needed to be adjusted down).

-I am careful about where lights are around me when out at night, as the N8 can sometimes give terrible flare, especially if you lens isn't clean

-I often wipe the front lens element on my N8 off with a cotton shirt (I wouldn't do this with my other cameras, but the front lens element on this camera is very scratch resistant, no scratches at all after doing this daily for a year).

By the way, for the particular picture you mentioned, everything was on default but the picture size, which was set to 12M - 4:3.

ChinaM43User's gear list:ChinaM43User's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Infms
Like?
In reply to snake_b, Mar 8, 2012

Good to hear. It's hard to remember how low-light performance was with the previous firmware, now that I'm running Belle. What's changed with the AF light?

snake_b wrote:

To me, as well as others, quality is either identical or better. I tend to think it selects slightly more idea shutter settings and deploys the ND filter a bit better for nicer skies. Low light, no difference.

snake_b
Like?
In reply to Infms, Mar 8, 2012

Just can't turn it off. Neither with the new cameraPLUS QT. Don't remember how it was before, but now there's a recording light with video. I could have sworn I was able to shut it down before.

Infms wrote:

Good to hear. It's hard to remember how low-light performance was with the previous firmware, now that I'm running Belle. What's changed with the AF light?

snake_b wrote:

Lilianna
Like?

I have an SIS file that I used to turn off the shutter sounds, I need to check if it offers the ability to turn off the light as well
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/colette_noir/

http://liliputianlens.blogspot.com/

snake_b
Like?

Just a slight bit of messing around:

I don't like how this one came out, due to being blown in the highlights, but I snapped it while riding my bike by:

I'm also using a Lumia 800. Very impressed so far with the phone and the cam. I don't see it as better or worse so far, but an alternate to the N8 for everything, not just the cam. It's less cam-oriented, but the selective focus and exposure is killer. Love it.

ryder78
Like?
In reply to ChinaM43User, Mar 18, 2012

ChinaMUser

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. Sorry to hear about your fever and hopefully you are fully recovered by now.

I seldom log onto this site and am glad to see your response here. It is good to know the settings are mostly default and flash is disabled. Surprisingly my shots at these settings in low light will always produce poor pictures. Will wipe the lens before I take the shots next time. Perhaps dirty lens are the culprit to the terrible picture quality.

Cheers.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads