When will DPR review the XPro1????

Started Feb 28, 2012 | Discussions
dellaaa
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
When will DPR review the XPro1????
Feb 28, 2012

I am sick of all the speculation, the comments made by people who never touched the camera (myself included on the pricing), the company posted images comparing the camera to poorly taken medium format images and the sponsored posts by professional photographers hand picked by Fuji to test the camera (do you really think that will be an objective review)?

DPreview, when will you test this so that we can make an objective decision on the camera????

While you are at it, how about testing the Nikon D800E.

Attack fanboys!!!!!

dellaaa's gear list:dellaaa's gear list
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
Re: When will DPR review the XPro1????
In reply to dellaaa, Feb 28, 2012

Lately they aren't doing many early reviews, I imagine it won't be until after the camera is released.

dellaaa wrote:

I am sick of all the speculation, the comments made by people who never touched the camera (myself included on the pricing), the company posted images comparing the camera to poorly taken medium format images and the sponsored posts by professional photographers hand picked by Fuji to test the camera (do you really think that will be an objective review)?

DPreview, when will you test this so that we can make an objective decision on the camera????

Attack fanboys!!!!!

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Powerdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?

DPR will review this camera as soon as Fuji will bring them an production model. That how it work.
--
It's all about photography

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +27 more
Cyclopedia Brown
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?
In reply to Powerdoc, Feb 28, 2012

I wouldn't even say "as soon as" I am sure that by now they have a copy of the X10. It still has yet to be reviewed. Only DPreview knows when they will review a camera. And we have to remember how detailed their reviews are. It may even take quite some time after they receive the camera... If they review it at all....... Who knows their criteria?

Powerdoc wrote:

DPR will review this camera as soon as Fuji will bring them an production model. That how it work.
--

-- hide signature --

Cyclopedia Creative Media
"Ideas that speak volumes"
Chi "Cyclopedia" Brown

Cyclopedia Brown's gear list:Cyclopedia Brown's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Powerdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cyclopedia Brown, Feb 28, 2012

Well you are right, as soon, is too much.

BTW, I won't understand why they would not want to review the first camera introducing a non bayer matrix. But you are right, they did not review all the camera. For example, there wasn't any canon 1D3 review, althought they did studio tests with it.
--

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +27 more
Gary CG
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
In reply to Powerdoc, Feb 28, 2012

They will review the XP1 immediately after they've reviewed the Leica M9 which was released in September 2009. So no rush....

NeilCam
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?

The amusing thing about this post is the slight against pro photographers who are given pre-production versions to test. The accusation that they're essentially paid shills is a fine piece of nonsensical conspiracy theory so beloved of the internet.

There's also the belief that DPReview is totally impartial despite it being owned by Amazon.

Funnily enough I would tend to think the likelihood of a review being influenced by a manufacture is the reverse of the OP's assertion. However, overall I think both types are on the whole impartial. If only because I still have some faith in human nature and don't feel the need to accuse anyone or thing that doesn't agree with my preconceptions as being rigged.

Neil

dellaaa wrote:

Attack fanboys!!!!!

dimitrir
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?

They may be afraid that impartial review will cause mass order cancellations.

dellaaa
Like?
In reply to NeilCam, Feb 28, 2012

It's interesting that the Leica hasn't been reviewed. I did not know that.

Looking at the reviews, a total of zero leicas have been reviewed.

Interesting....

The question is why? Hey DPReview why don't you review Leicas, WTF?

As for the post that claims the professionals who review preproduction equipment are unbiased, grow up.

These "reviewers" have a close relationship with the camera companies. How long will that relationship last if, after they are one of maybe 5 people on the planet given a major camera to test, they slam it? I'm guessing not too long.

I guarantee if Fuji gave you or me a complete XPro1 system, we would both give it very high marks indeed.

Get real.

Nikon D800
flysurfer
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
In reply to dellaaa, Feb 29, 2012

dellaaa wrote:

I guarantee if Fuji gave you or me a complete XPro1 system, we would both give it very high marks indeed.

Get real.

Well, Fuji gave me a complete X-Pro1 system to test (how else am I supposed to write a book about it and release it by summer?), but that certainly hasn't stopped me from saying what I like and don't like about it.

It's interesting to hear that other photographers are actually paid to test the sets Fuji gave them. Good for them, but this certainly raises legitimate questions. After all, you don't want to say anything that may block similar paid assignments in the future.

So I guess there is an important difference between independent journalistic work in cooperation with a vendor (DPR don't buy their review samples in a store, either) and actually being contracted by a vendor.

If Fuji contracted DPR to write a review about the X-Pro1 and gave them, say, USD 20,000 for it, I'd certainly be very sceptical.

flysurfer's gear list:flysurfer's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR +40 more
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?

Do Amazon sell Leicas?

Just wondering....!

dellaaa wrote:

Interesting....

As for the post that claims the professionals who review preproduction equipment are unbiased, grow up.

These "reviewers" have a close relationship with the camera companies. How long will that relationship last if, after they are one of maybe 5 people on the planet given a major camera to test, they slam it? I'm guessing not too long.

Get real.

lnbolch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?

dellaaa wrote:

While there is still time to make changes and corrections, cameras are handed to a selection of people who are known to the company and know the company's products. The purpose is just like those who not only beta test software but interact with the programming team for real-world feedback. In both cases, there are non-disclosure agreements prior to the product being announced.

Cameras and software may be seen by the engineers as near miracles. It may contain beautiful code or innovations deep inside the camera that win the admiration of their peers. Problem is, that in the hands of users, that brilliance does not necessarily work well for its intended purpose. Therefor the need for experienced and articulate people to give feedback. Once the product is announced, we are free to talk about it.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +12 more
Gary CG
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
In reply to lnbolch, Feb 29, 2012

Pretty much every magazine, website, blogger and youtuber who is lent/given products by companies to review will refrain from giving an completely honest opinion for a poor product. It is more important that they continue to be given products to review in the future in order to establish themselves.

I don't think there is often any direct monetary inducements, it's more a case of climbing the slippery pole.

As for dpreview never posting a review on the Leica M9 it is a mystery isn't it?

There is one interesting reviewer on youtube, a chap who goes by the moniker of Techmoan who seems to have established a relationship with several Chinese manufacturers of inexpensive GPS units, spy-cams and audio recorder type devices. When a product isn't good he doesn't pull his punches. It's so refreshing to see such straightforwardness in this age of mealy-mouthed cowards. Funnily enough it doesn't seem to harm his steady stream of free products to review. (He does purchase some of them).

I challenge any of you to find any current or recent camera magazine that gives a bad review to ANY camera. Ain't going to happen. Ever.

NeilCam
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?

Oh I can assure you, I'm perfectly real. FWIW, I have seen reviews by pros of preproduction cams that did point out the flaws. But hey, let's not let such things get in the way of your preconceived biases.

Neil

dellaaa wrote:

Interesting....

Get real.

RealXenuis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary CG, Feb 29, 2012

Not true. You can generalize that a lot of bloggers/mags/websites have a stake in not giving an honestly atrocious review of a terrible product, but certainly not all of them. DP Review has dissuaded me from many a purchase with their reviews of bad products. DXO. Huff & Puff (Rockwell). Photozone. Steve's Digicams. CNet Reviews.

I can go on if you like....let me be explicit: In every one of the sources I just listed, there are many examples of camera reviews containing cameras they did not like, and said so. And said why they didn't. Having taken the 8 min to easily and quickly verify, I'm rather confused why you'd make such a statement.

No one is disagreeing with the sentiment that some camera reviewers have a financial stake in niceing up their reviews, or even blatantly giving false(ly) positive reviews. But to say that there are no mags/websites/blogs who receive sample cameras that give bad reviews is just absolutely untrue. And in the case of Fuji and the XP1, to get specific, many of the pple Fuji lent them to seem to not even have formally reviewed cameras in the past. They were told to say what they want. And some of them (Australian) seem to have pretty good gigs and really wouldn't gain anything from the exposure or publicity of using the XP1 and writing about it.

With your argument, you've made it an impossibility for any human to try and be impartial when lent a camera for review. Surely you can't honestly feel this way. Surely there is ONE person with integrity who was lent a Fuji and reported accordingly, right?

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cyclopedia Brown, Feb 29, 2012

They kind of did in their premium compact guide:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4333175133/buyers-guide-enthusiast-raw-shooting-compact-cameras

Cyclopedia Brown wrote:

I wouldn't even say "as soon as" I am sure that by now they have a copy of the X10. It still has yet to be reviewed. Only DPreview knows when they will review a camera. And we have to remember how detailed their reviews are. It may even take quite some time after they receive the camera... If they review it at all....... Who knows their criteria?

Powerdoc wrote:

--

-- hide signature --

Cyclopedia Creative Media
"Ideas that speak volumes"
Chi "Cyclopedia" Brown

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,501
Like?

I'm also waiting on a DPR Review or see what people say when the production models are out. With a camera that's getting so much hype, I would think DPR would review it. If the reviews of production models live up to what I've heard so far, I'll place my order. If not, I'll wait and see what other cameras come to market. Either way I hope DPR reviews the Xpro1 since their reviews have pretty much always been in-line with my experiences.

As for the lack of a review for the M9, they did review the M8 and the M9 wasn't a vastly different camera. I think that most of the changes were pretty much covered in their Preview of it.

Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,690Gear list
Like?

dellaaa wrote:

Attack fanboys!!!!!

Since you are so demanding, how about slipping them an extra $10,000 to compensate them for their work. After all, you are viewing all their work and not paying for it... aren't you?

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
dellaaa
Like?
In reply to Gary H, Feb 29, 2012

I think that there is a difference between sites like DPReview, Photozone etc reviewing a camera, and a review of the same camera by a person hand picked by the company. The fact is THE COMPANY PICKED THE GUY.

I also like the fact that this site has a database of test images taken with other cameras of the same studio scene so that you can do a direct comparison of the images at various ISOs. What is better than that?

BTW Nikon just released the D800E. I was blown away by the images posted on their site, I mean, the library shots are really impressive. I don't see hand picked pros them making corny half baked comparisons of the images produced by the D800 to poor quality medium formant shots.

Honestly, I think what the real issue here is the claim that this camera's sensor was so revolutionary that it will produce images that equal full frame. That the real reason I would love to see a test, to see if the claim is true. I was really hoping it would be but I'm betting t it's not.

That's why I would love for this camera to be tested by an relatively objective party like DPReview.

PS If the Leica M9 wasn't tested, why does this site have test images by the M9 in their database? You can actually compare images taken by the Leica to other cameras currently tested. Weird.

Nikon D800
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?
In reply to RealXenuis, Feb 29, 2012

It's not impossible for a reviewer to stay completely objective when reviewing a camera, but the problem is we won't be able to tell.

Just because a photog has a good gig doesn't mean he gets no benefit from being the first reviewer of a super hyped up camera. The benefit here is more exposure. This is why companies pour tons of marketing money into already best selling products.

This is why I take non-scientific reviews with a grain of salt. if they want to prove something, I'd like to see some evidence in numbers. That's not to say scientific reviews are completely objective, but at least you can kinda tell if their test method is flawed.

RealXenuis wrote:

Not true. You can generalize that a lot of bloggers/mags/websites have a stake in not giving an honestly atrocious review of a terrible product, but certainly not all of them. DP Review has dissuaded me from many a purchase with their reviews of bad products. DXO. Huff & Puff (Rockwell). Photozone. Steve's Digicams. CNet Reviews.

I can go on if you like....let me be explicit: In every one of the sources I just listed, there are many examples of camera reviews containing cameras they did not like, and said so. And said why they didn't. Having taken the 8 min to easily and quickly verify, I'm rather confused why you'd make such a statement.

No one is disagreeing with the sentiment that some camera reviewers have a financial stake in niceing up their reviews, or even blatantly giving false(ly) positive reviews. But to say that there are no mags/websites/blogs who receive sample cameras that give bad reviews is just absolutely untrue. And in the case of Fuji and the XP1, to get specific, many of the pple Fuji lent them to seem to not even have formally reviewed cameras in the past. They were told to say what they want. And some of them (Australian) seem to have pretty good gigs and really wouldn't gain anything from the exposure or publicity of using the XP1 and writing about it.

With your argument, you've made it an impossibility for any human to try and be impartial when lent a camera for review. Surely you can't honestly feel this way. Surely there is ONE person with integrity who was lent a Fuji and reported accordingly, right?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads