Comparing m43 / APS / 35mm on 50mm 1.4 lenses

Started Feb 28, 2012 | Discussions
Buchan-Grant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,941Gear list
Like?
Comparing m43 / APS / 35mm on 50mm 1.4 lenses
Feb 28, 2012

Okay, welcome to 'GEEKSVILLE ARIZONA'. These are 4 sets of comparison shots done at the weekend, they are completely unprocessed, converted straight from RAW to jpg using medium sharpening default (for screen). These were shot just as a test, and not intended to be used for anything other than that. (Please note any moronic comments about composition, make up, white balance or any type of PP will be given the attention they deserve:)

As a test its not that scientific I'm afraid, some of the shots were taken 20 minutes apart so it was not always possible to get the same proportions lighting or background. The purpose of these tests and one of the main reasons I got the PL25 recently was to see how close it could get to the look of the M9/50mm summilux, a look which I love. And to just see for myself, when shooting at my preferred distance with my favourite focal length, just how much of a difference the various sensor sizes made. The differences I'm looking at in particular are the style/quality of the bokeh and the way the focus drops from sharp to soft.

Of course we already know what the results will be, I just wanted to see for myself what the difference would be between not only 3 formats, but three kits costing approximately £1000/£2500/£7500. I wouldn't say these backgrounds were ideal for comparing these aspects but there was a wedding going on at the time and these were the only spaces available to shoot in.

The 3 setups are EP3/PL25mm - NEX5n/Leica 35mm Summilux (52.5mm efv) - Leica M9/50mm Summilux all shot wide open at low ISO (ignore the M9 data, it always just says what it wants to, they were all @ f1.4:)

Finally I think it would be great to add into such a comparison the Canon 5Dmk2/EF50mm 1.4 which I never rated that highly wide open and I feel sure would have been tanked by all 3 of these:) and the Leica Noctilux

The 4th and last set, compares the 25mm the 45mm 1.8 and the M9/50lux

-- hide signature --
 Buchan-Grant's gear list:Buchan-Grant's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +5 more
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Buchan-Grant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,941Gear list
Like?
Re: Comparing m43 / APS / 35mm on 50mm 1.4 lenses
In reply to Buchan-Grant, Feb 28, 2012

Bugg*r, I just noticed the first shot was f1.6:)
--
Neil
http://about.me/buchangrant

Buchan-Grant's gear list:Buchan-Grant's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,121Gear list
Like?

nice comparison.

I'm thinking about getting the 25 dg.

This helps me decide.

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
Identity
Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
In reply to DonSantos, Feb 28, 2012

I definitely prefer the Leica shots, they have an almost ethereal quality to them. The Sony photos feel a bit cold. The Pen did well, but the photos definitely have a bit more of a "snapshot" look.

Bang for the buck, I say the Pen wins. But if I ever win the lottery...

James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,664Gear list
Like?
the right tool for the job

Thanks Neil,

The Leica M9 nails it every time. IMO, neither of the other two even come close in these shots. There is a reason I want an M9 with a few Summilix lenses.

Thanks for making me dissatisfied with my m4/3 PL 25mm!

Actually, my PL 25mm is the best lens I own. It does pretty well for a system that is about 10% - 15% the cost of the M9 combination.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,365Gear list
Like?

Thanks for posting. I find it very hard to compare the qualities of the lenses beyond the superficial that some of the lenses gives greater separation and narrower depth of field than others, which is needed in some cases and unwanted in others. Have you formed a conclusion yourself? If you compare two shots with what should be similar depth of field, do you see a harsher bokeh on one or a they comparable?

Buchan-Grant wrote:

As a test its not that scientific I'm afraid, some of the shots were taken 20 minutes apart so it was not always possible to get the same proportions lighting or background. The purpose of these tests and one of the main reasons I got the PL25 recently was to see how close it could get to the look of the M9/50mm summilux, a look which I love. And to just see for myself, when shooting at my preferred distance with my favourite focal length, just how much of a difference the various sensor sizes made. The differences I'm looking at in particular are the style/quality of the bokeh and the way the focus drops from sharp to soft.

Alan OB
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?

Very useful, thank you. If you'll try with Canon, go with Sigma 50mm, it's better.

Alan
--
http://alanob.blogspot.com
http://www.poglej.si/izstekani

Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Re:Hang on a minute?
In reply to Macx, Feb 28, 2012

Didnt you just do something similar? what is the point? 50mm 1.4vs 50mm2.2vs50 2.8, that is basically what you just demo'd, big deal. Put the vl 25mm on there at f1.2 or and then leica at f2 and the nex at 1.4 then we have a comparison, yes this is stupid.

Models are nice though.

Macx wrote:

Thanks for posting. I find it very hard to compare the qualities of the lenses beyond the superficial that some of the lenses gives greater separation and narrower depth of field than others, which is needed in some cases and unwanted in others. Have you formed a conclusion yourself? If you compare two shots with what should be similar depth of field, do you see a harsher bokeh on one or a they comparable?

Buchan-Grant wrote:

cococat
Contributing MemberPosts: 502
Like?
Olympus PEN E-P3, 45 1.8 mm - Best of the last lot

The Olympus PEN E-P3, 45 mm 1.8 looks best in the last lot by far imo
--
BoxWatcher

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,389
Like?

I like the PL25 best in most of them. Sorry, I just do. Like the M9 colour balance though, and the Leica does a lovely job in the last shot.

I realise this makes me a philistine etc. Particularly because I don't see much difference and would be equally happy with any of them
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?

Buchan-Grant wrote:

Bugg*r, I just noticed the first shot was f1.6:)

And of the last model there are two Pen pictures and one Leica, not sure whether that was intended, or whether the Nex picture got a wrong caption.

Anyway thanks for a very interesting comparison. I'd be glad to hear your own conclusions, since you got to see the full res. pictures.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,284
Like?
Re: the right tool for the job
In reply to James Pilcher, Feb 28, 2012

James Pilcher wrote:

Thanks Neil,

The Leica M9 nails it every time. IMO, neither of the other two even come close in these shots. There is a reason I want an M9 with a few Summilix lenses.

Thanks for making me dissatisfied with my m4/3 PL 25mm!

Actually, my PL 25mm is the best lens I own. It does pretty well for a system that is about 10% - 15% the cost of the M9 combination.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

Since Im sure Im not going to win the lotto any time soon, I've given up on wishing for an M9.

OTOH, this post has convinced me that I not only MUST get the 25mm, I should probably get it before the 45mm.

Im far more likely to use the 25 on a daily basis, as opposed to the 45 which I would only need "once in a while"..

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut

When I was a boy, I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it. ~ Clarence Darrow

Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does

In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,250Gear list
Like?

I personally dislike all the leica shots quite a bit but I'm really not a fan of portraits where half the person isn't in focus. I don't think the colours look as good either.

For me the best one is the oly 45mm, closely followed by the oly with the 25mm.

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Interesting how many people like the "45mm Oly"...
Simon Cowell
Senior MemberPosts: 2,498
Like?
Thanks ...

One of the best posts regarding differences in colour between cameras (especially skin tones).

Melbourne Park
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?
Disappointed with Olympus
In reply to Simon Cowell, Feb 28, 2012

I found the Olympus colours very red. I was disappointed with Olympus.

Then I discovered, my notebook screen was making the top picture more red ... at the end then, the Oly's looked fine ... and I had hit brain drain. Now, I am simply confused ...

Model is great

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: Disappointed with Olympus
In reply to Melbourne Park, Feb 28, 2012

I don't feel the colours have a lot to do with it, you can adjust them.

Personally, while most people bang on about the great Oly colours, they are always too cold for my taste. However, that is very easily dealt with!

In fact, Olympus is Blue, Nikon is Red, Canon is Green.

Oh, and Leica is Yellow.

Melbourne Park wrote:

I found the Olympus colours very red. I was disappointed with Olympus.

Then I discovered, my notebook screen was making the top picture more red ... at the end then, the Oly's looked fine ... and I had hit brain drain. Now, I am simply confused ...

Model is great

Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 3,982
Like?

Buchan, this would have been a better test with renamed photos (including the camera & lens) rather than relying on DPR to show the exif in the subtitle,
also
are the photos supposed to be in some logical order?

I find the order a bit random, making it much harder to get an impression of how each lens/body is doing.

The first model has what appears to be a mix of skin/makeup colours : was this intentional?

Camp Freddy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,385Gear list
Like?
bokeh in question

Is it just me or does the extreme shallow DOF and bokeh look very artificial if not actually photoshopped out of the M9?

With better lighting and post proc' false bokeh you could get very similar results for all but 600 dpi art magazines out of a system which is way cheaper ( people view bigger prints from further away even 120 dpi will do for a high quality poster)

I think the "total light" exposure gang will swing in from APSc/FF soon. The m9 takes better shots on average, last one excluded, so what?

-- hide signature --

================================
Enjoying Photography like never before with the E-450!
Images, photo and gimp tips:
http://olympe450rants.blogspot.com/

NORWEGIAN WOOD GALLERY
http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/888

Olympus' Own E450 Gallery http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/e450/sample/

"to be is to do" Descartes;
"to do is to be" Satre ;

............................"DoBeDoBeDo" Sinatra.
=============================

markprincess
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?

Buchan-Grant wrote:

. And to just see for myself, when shooting at my preferred distance with my favourite focal length, just how much of a difference the various sensor sizes made.

Of course we already know what the results will be, I just wanted to see for myself what the difference would be between not only 3 formats, but three kits costing approximately £1000/£2500/£7500.

If you truly only wanted to see only for yourself, why post in public?

ps - these shots could have used WB adjustments, a little PP would have helped, the make-up is amateurish and the composition is horrendous!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads