Leica S2 review, if you please :)

Started Feb 27, 2012 | Discussions
mikeber
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica S2 review, if you please :)
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, Feb 29, 2012

I appreciate your work and review, Irakly Shanidze.

Since I am not a purist, I gladly accept such reviews, even if subjective and non scientific. However, you must understand that some readers feel differently and they will bash you in every possible way.

My only comment is about "S2 is the only DLSR you'll ever need". I beg to disagree. S2 has several limitations, which in my opinion, limit its appeal. Beside its astronomical price, the range of lenses is limited. With both Nikon and Canon releasing cameras in the 36-38M pixel range, at a fraction of S2 cost, the days of MF including S2 are numbered. Not only cost, but the availability of lenses from a variety of sources such as Schneider and Zeiss, as well as zooms, will make the choice a no brainer for photographers.

mikeber's gear list:mikeber's gear list
Nikon D4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Irakly Shanidze
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,015Gear list
Like?
In reply to mikeber, Mar 1, 2012

Let them bash. Bashing is not effective unless substantiated.

As to the limited lens range: When Lighrtoom 1.0 came out, I once filtered my files by metadata and looked at actual focal lengths that I shot pictures with. Next week I sold all my zoom lenses. In about to months I got rid of 14 and 17-35.

All that happened in 2006. After six years I can tell that I had not been inconvenienced a single bit. What's important, I shoot for clients, which does not always let me choose things to photograph according to lenses that I have.

The moral is, the necessity of covering the whole focal range from 14 to 600mm is highly overrated. I'd rather spend my money on a better system than on a cheaper alternative, which includes all possible lenses in the world.

-- hide signature --
 Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9
Dr. Ulrich  Rohde
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, Mar 1, 2012

I really like your shells

Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list:Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list
Leica X Vario Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Leica M8 Leica M9 +10 more
Irakly Shanidze
Like?
In reply to Dr. Ulrich Rohde, Mar 1, 2012

Indeed... There are boatloads of them around Marco Island
--
Irakly Shanidze
http://www.shanidze.com/en

Leica M9
nathaniel m
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?
The opening
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, Mar 2, 2012

I have a question about what you wrote in the opening. You talked about how hasselblad was out of the question, but I didn't really get why. Would you elaborate a bit more on why hassy wasn't on the list of possibilities?

Great work. If i was in the market for a MF camera, your review would have been invaluable.

-Nathaniel

nathaniel m's gear list:nathaniel m's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Dr. Ulrich  Rohde
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?

A superior review, congratulations. As an owner of the S2 I co nonly confirm your statements

Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list:Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list
Leica X Vario Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Leica M8 Leica M9 +10 more
Irakly Shanidze
Like?
Re: The opening
In reply to nathaniel m, Mar 2, 2012

nathaniel m wrote:

I have a question about what you wrote in the opening. You talked about how hasselblad was out of the question, but I didn't really get why. Would you elaborate a bit more on why hassy wasn't on the list of possibilities?

Certainly. With an introduction of the H-system Hasselblad decided to forego Zeiss optics in favor of Fuji. There must be some business logic to this decision, but now Hasselblad pictures do not look like Hasselblad pictures anymore. I am not bashing Fuji lenses, I just do not like what comes out of it.

Great work. If i was in the market for a MF camera, your review would have been invaluable.

My pleasure.

-- hide signature --
Leica M9
Dirk67
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?

As far as I know Hasselblad couldn't use Zeiss lenses for the H system because Zeiss had a contract with Contax as an exclusive supplier of lenses in the 645 format. They had no conflict with the 6x6 format. Since Fuji developed the H system and because of their good reputation in the lens market, it was an obvious choice to use Fuji lenses. D!RK

Irakly Shanidze
Like?
In reply to Dirk67, Mar 2, 2012

Somehow, it did not prevent Zeiss from developing autofocus lenses for Sinar M....

However, this is not the point. Regardless of the reasons behind it, I do not like how Fuji lenses render, that's all. I don't see the magic present in Zeiss and Schneider lenses made for Hasselblad 5xx/2xx/2xxx and Rollei.
--
Irakly Shanidze
http://www.shanidze.com/en

Leica M9
Jose Salcedo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298
Like?

Excellent review, thank you very much for taking the system through the paces and sharing your experience with them.
--
Best regards,
Jose Salcedo

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads