What d'ya think Panny's answer wil be to EM-5 ??

Started Feb 27, 2012 | Discussions
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,380
Like?
What d'ya think Panny's answer wil be to EM-5 ??
Feb 27, 2012

Come on Panny !
They recently stated the wanted to make a very high end m4/3 camera.

I have a GX-1 and don't understand all the negative comments about Panny colors or jpeg engine, etc, they work very well for me (I'm used to Canon/Nikon output, not Olympus, so maybe I'm missing something here, but the little ZX-1 I had for a few days last month didn't kick my S90 in the butt, it was just way less sharp...).

Anyway what do you think Panasonic will have to offer to counter the EM-5, WHEN do you think they will react ?

I love the GX-1, for me it has the perfect match of retro/modern style, great size and handling, great quality and ouput, BUT, I want yet faster AF (eye controlled is a cincher for me), yet lower noise, and a couple of EM-5 features are real good. I'd be happy to stick with Panny, however I'd need a high specified proposition not to buy the EM-5...

Marla.

Canon PowerShot S90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
drummerman
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
Re: What d'ya think Panny's answer wil be to EM-5 ??
In reply to Marla2008, Feb 27, 2012

I can't see how panasonic could improve upon the features of the OM-D. It has everything most people would need. Looks is subjective so they may come up with something more 'organic' looking but the difference will most probably be in the sensor/processing. These cameras are already very good (G3/GX1 and probably the OM-D) so I would expect differences to be very minor at best.

regards

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wiggerz
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?
Mmm which begs the Q..we don't know if the high specs of

the new Oly will pan out to be what the spin thus far will have us believe. (or not) i hope it does. As for future pana stuff we are yet to even hear rumours. They have a history of pulling great stuff out of the bag.
--
Best Wishes Billy
http://williammartinswigandiaagardenofthesun.blogspot.com.au/

CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?

The GX1 just came out, surely the E-M5 doesn't offer enough to spend $1000 right away. Until we get one in our hands we can't be sure it even has better image quality. AF is about as fast as the most Oly cameras (eye controlled?). If you are IBIS from Panasonic you can probably forget it. What other compelling features are in the E-M5 you want?

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +22 more
YouDidntDidYou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576
Like?

The GH3 will have (to compete stupidly for "high end" canikon users):

1. 24mp
2. OLED screen
3. timelapse
4. higher fps
5. more slow mo options
6. wireless remote for photo and video functions
7. focus tracking
8. battery pack/hand grip
9. additional card slot (SD not micro SD)
10. 1/8000 shutter speed
11. even higher ISO
12. LED flash (various)
13. Radio and blue tooth microphones

The GH3 will not have:

1. art filters
2. live bulb mode
3. weather sealing
4. echo feature
5. underwater housing
6. wireless flash
7. multiple exposure
8. on board levels and curves adjustment

The GH3 also needs:

1. Customizable aspect ratios
2. Customizable gradient maps/duotones
3. Built in GPS
4. In built meta tagging
5. Built in ND graduation filter

6. Option to use EVF and LCD at same time * so subject can see themselves when LCD is flipped while the photographer looks through EVF*
7. 1/16000 shutter speed
8. to be available in better colour bodies ie white, nice sliver or brown
--
living life to the Four Thirds!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/om-d_user/

Marla2008
Like?
In reply to CharlesTokyo, Feb 27, 2012

CharlesTokyo wrote:

The GX1 just came out, surely the E-M5 doesn't offer enough to spend $1000 right away. Until we get one in our hands we can't be sure it even has better image quality. AF is about as fast as the most Oly cameras (eye controlled?). If you are IBIS from Panasonic you can probably forget it. What other compelling features are in the E-M5 you want?

I want better, faster, eye controlled AF (I want that VERY much).
I want (if possible) yet better high ISO performance.

I wouldn't spit on better DR (though I don't count on it, and I find it quite good on GX-1)

I want an integrated VF (I don't miss it so fat but will on sunny days, and I DON'T want to buy an external VF)
I want twin dials.

I don't like the hump and I wouldnt know how to chose color, and I think the GX-1 looks better, but life is about compromise, and m4/3 is ALL about compromise

Marla (who likes this system very much and just pulled the trigger on a 45-200).

robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
In reply to drummerman, Feb 27, 2012

drummerman wrote:

I can't see how panasonic could improve upon the features of the OM-D. >
regards

well they could stick a built in flash in it like the GX1 has

Anyway, give the GX1 a built in rangefinder style hybrid viewfinder (like in the sony Nex7) without hugely increasing the size and you'd have a simple winner (GX2) right there that should be able to compete well with the OM-D (we don't all want or need weather sealing and IBIS). If Sony (and Fuji) can do it, and pany can already make an EVF it should be an easy enough development.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
GregGory
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,249
Like?
No hump, corner EVF, built in flash, GPS, Gx style LCD hinge

but the lack of IBIS is still a painful compromise in my book.
--
--

'If you can imagine sharing a waterbed with a baboon that's just been doused in itching powder.' J.C. reg. the suspension of the Lincoln Town Car '82

Loga
Contributing MemberPosts: 746Gear list
Like?
GX2 could be the answer for me

I am dreaming of a new Panny cam called GX2, which has EVF instead of built-in flash, supplied with a little bounce adds-on flash, has a very similar form that GX1 has, but slightly bigger, and with even better look (leather on the front panel?). Maybe 1 EV better high ISO, but it's not really important.

Marla2008 wrote:

Come on Panny !

I have a GX-1 and don't understand all the negative comments about Panny colors or jpeg engine, etc, they work very well for me (I'm used to Canon/Nikon output, not Olympus, so maybe I'm missing something here, but the little ZX-1 I had for a few days last month didn't kick my S90 in the butt, it was just way less sharp...).

Anyway what do you think Panasonic will have to offer to counter the EM-5, WHEN do you think they will react ?

I love the GX-1, for me it has the perfect match of retro/modern style, great size and handling, great quality and ouput, BUT, I want yet faster AF (eye controlled is a cincher for me), yet lower noise, and a couple of EM-5 features are real good. I'd be happy to stick with Panny, however I'd need a high specified proposition not to buy the EM-5...

Marla.

Loga's gear list:Loga's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Marla2008
Like?
In reply to robonrome, Feb 27, 2012

robonrome wrote:

drummerman wrote:

I can't see how panasonic could improve upon the features of the OM-D. >
regards

well they could stick a built in flash in it like the GX1 has

Anyway, give the GX1 a built in rangefinder style hybrid viewfinder (like in the sony Nex7) without hugely increasing the size and you'd have a simple winner (GX2) right there that should be able to compete well with the OM-D (we don't all want or need weather sealing and IBIS). If Sony (and Fuji) can do it, and pany can already make an EVF it should be an easy enough development.

Since I want to stay with the rangefinder styl (if I need DSLR, I have perfectly competent one at home..), that would cut it for me. IS has never been on my list (though I understand and respect it's high on others'), neither has weather sealing. I'd love a properly hinged LCD, the EM-5's is just about useless I think.
But give me that faster tracking, and mostly important EYE-controlled AF !!!

Pasmia
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?

Considering the GH line seems to follow the corresponding G cameras, I'm seriously hoping that the GH3 will not continue this trend by simply being a G3 with added buttons/configurations. The whole same body for 2 lines thing is bleh. But I have a feeling...

If not this, then I don't see Panny changing the GH3 body model at all from the Gh2... unfortunately. I know its just cosmetics, but its still something I'd prefer an upgrade on. In fact, if Panny took the GH2's guts and shoved it into a rangefinder body with an articulating screen, built in EVF, and no additional features in comparison to the GH2... I'd pay more for that alone. No weather sealing, no built in HDR, iA, IBIS, nothing. Just available technology in a prettier package... Yup... I'd buy it.

Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Re: EM-5 is the 2 year follow up to the GH2?

GH3 will be the same body, why would you not want the GH2 body its excellent an extra wheel would be nice I guess and better buffer, apart from that there is nothing better than GH2 any way until FF if you ignore-discount a preference for PDAF! Oly is late to the game actually and the GH3 will be another further 2 year advance.

Marla2008 wrote:

Come on Panny !

Marla.

leendertcv
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?

What I like:

• New version of the GH2 sensor

• better EVF

• fast tracking AF

• better LCD

• weather sealed

leendertcv's gear list:leendertcv's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +2 more
localnet
Regular MemberPosts: 496
Like?
In reply to Adventsam, Feb 27, 2012

How about a weather sealed metal body? That is the main reason I preordered the OM-D, And the reason I have stayed away from purchasing a Panasonic camera. I have looked at both the Lumix and Leica lines,loved the reviews, had the cash, really excited, wanted one... But they lost me with the toy like feel of their cheap plastic construction. I don't care what they can do, when I can remember my old GAF viewer was built like a tank compared to these new cameras.

I honestly cannot see parting with my hard earned cash on an expensive product that feels like the slightest bump will destroy it. The reason I have shyed away from getting back into photography after selling off my Canon 1D's and L glass. And I know I sound like a snob, I'm not, I just want good old fashioned sturdy construction that can survive life in the North Dakota oil patch as good as my present camera, a silly but built like a tank, beat up, stepped on, dropped and kicked iPhone.

stimmer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,137
Like?
Marla..

I think the gx1 was their counter. Olympus has totally surprised them with the e-m5' that's why they released that vague statement about doing a higher level camera at some point in the future.

You definitely are missing the Olympus processing engine. One of the best in the business for skin tones nd white balance. The fact you don't have to shoot raw is a very nice bonus and a huge time saver.

Why does it matter if Panny makes a camera like the em5? They both use the same lenses so you can interchange at will.

I personally cannot live without in body is, and I need a viewfinder that I can use with a flash trigger so the omd is perfect for me.

Olympus has a huge amount of photography heritage and they definitely use it to their advantage.

If you like the omd get it. I wouldn't exclude it from your mind just because it's Olympus instead of Panasonic.

Personally, since they don't have ibis I may never get a panny. And I hate the idea of having to work on raw files all the time. But everybody is different and should get what fits their needs for sure.

Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,485
Like?

Panasonic's answer will be the GH3. I expect that the GH3 will be announced soon. The old model is soon 18 months old, the lifespan for the GH1.

The GH3 will pack the features from GH2, e.g., oversized sensor. But to keep it a premium camera, they will need to come up with something new. I'm guessing 1080p60 (or 1080p50 in Europe), more megapixels (sadly).

Weather sealing might be introduced.

I'm hoping it will not get a metal outer shell, as it just costs more without adding any real value, in my opinion.

They need to improve the AF during video, but it will probably be done without any new technology like PDAF. Most likely through faster and better image processing.

Faster buffer flush speed when taking RAW images would also be welcomed.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/02/what-can-we-expect-from-gh3.html

Camp Freddy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,385Gear list
Like?
Suspect it will be a Pro Ergonomic camera

I suspect that panny's noises about a Pro-G will come forward in a highly ergonomic camera with noting retro about it; big grip, big EVF, user derfinable programmes etc

However I also here and now, as with thinking they may come up with OM-D, that Oly are going to have a "pro" OMD with on chip PDAF which will tackle sports better and work with the swd lenses from FT.

-- hide signature --

================================
Enjoying Photography like never before with the E-450!
Images, photo and gimp tips:
http://olympe450rants.blogspot.com/

NORWEGIAN WOOD GALLERY
http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/888

Olympus' Own E450 Gallery http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/e450/sample/

"to be is to do" Descartes;
"to do is to be" Satre ;

............................"DoBeDoBeDo" Sinatra.
=============================

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,628Gear list
Like?

Marla2008 wrote:

Come on Panny !

I thought that's what the GH2 was, and the E-M5 is now the Olympus similar model. It was news to me when I saw the Panasonic interview and the guy was talking like they did not already have a very high-end camera.

Wouldn't a GH3 be the logical answer? Obviously, not in his mind.

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
safaridon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,041
Like?
In reply to localnet, Feb 27, 2012

localnet wrote:

How about a weather sealed metal body? That is the main reason I preordered the OM-D, And the reason I have stayed away from purchasing a Panasonic camera. I have looked at both the Lumix and Leica lines,loved the reviews, had the cash, really excited, wanted one... But they lost me with the toy like feel of their cheap plastic construction. I don't care what they can do, when I can remember my old GAF viewer was built like a tank compared to these new cameras.

I honestly cannot see parting with my hard earned cash on an expensive product that feels like the slightest bump will destroy it. The reason I have shyed away from getting back into photography after selling off my Canon 1D's and L glass. And I know I sound like a snob, I'm not, I just want good old fashioned sturdy construction that can survive life in the North Dakota oil patch as good as my present camera, a silly but built like a tank, beat up, stepped on, dropped and kicked iPhone.

-- hide signature --

Since Panys next two fast zooms will be weathersealed you can count on Panys answer to the OM-D will have weather sealing and they have said the GX and GH will be better differentiated as a quality product which to me means they will both likely have metal bodies.

Marla2008
Like?
GX-1 does not compete with EM-5, look at the price difference !
In reply to safaridon, Feb 27, 2012

I can't believe the GX-1 would be the direct

EM-5 competitor. They need something very comparable to give users the choice, which means rangefinder style+EVF+hinge LCD, sprinkle a couple of bells and whistles to taste.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE my GX-1. But give (sell) me an integrated VF and better (yet) AF and I'll get the cash out..

The current GX-1 is priced too low to be a direct EM-5 competitor, Panny needs something sub 1000$, but not GH2 style. I'm sure no one underestimates the huge attraction of the EM-5 retro style...

Marla

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads