X Pro1. This is what I'm planning.

Started Feb 27, 2012 | Discussions
Gary CG
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
X Pro1. This is what I'm planning.
Feb 27, 2012

There's been some criticism of the XPro1 lately and I myself was initially a little disappointed with what I read about it. However I have decided to definitely purchase one. Here is my thinking...

I have a big month-long trip to Italy coming up and I really don't want to lug a 5D2 and lenses around. I am definitely taking my X100 but I am rightly concerned about only having one camera plus I'd like to be able to shoot wider than 35mm.

This is what i have decided. I shall purchase an X Pro 1 and either one of these (perhaps both of them)..

Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar Aspherical II 15mm f/4.5 Lens $599

or

Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 Lens $749

I will not be purchasing any Fuji fly-by-wire lenses for the XPro1. Instead I shall start collecting M-mount glass in preparation for the release of the M10 at which point I shall ransack my life savings!

The XPro1 with one of these super-wide (but slow) lenses will be perfect for daytime scenic shooting. Zone focusing will be a snap with such wide lenses. I probably won't even have to focus with the magnifier at all.

The X100 will be a backup camera plus of course the evening/nightime camera with it's f2 lens.

These Voigtlander lenses will hardly lose any value and I would probably keep them forever anyway. The cost of ownership of them would be tiny compared to the depreciation on the Fujifilm fly-by-wire lenses over the longer term.

The X Pro1 I think will be perfect in this role as it will effectively eliminate the biggest gripe people seem to have with it, that of focusing.

I have given up my studio photography and am selling off my Canon L lenses (I have quite a few) if anyone is interested let me know.

I think the X Pro 1 is going to work out very well for me indeed. Please if anyone sees any reports or reviews on it with the M-mount adapter and MF lenses link them here. Thanks!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cyclopedia Brown
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?
Re: X Pro1. This is what I'm planning.
In reply to Gary CG, Feb 27, 2012

Sounds good Gary. I am making the leap towards the X-Pro1 myself. I wonder how long you will have to wait for that M mount though. Rumor has it it wont be long.

I am also a Canon man. Which L lenses are you preparing to part with?
--
Cyclopedia Creative Media
"Ideas that speak volumes"
Chi "Cyclopedia" Brown

Cyclopedia Brown's gear list:Cyclopedia Brown's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,568Gear list
Like?

Sounds like a plan!
I just wonder when the M adaptor will come out... may not be soon enough.

Gary CG wrote:

There's been some criticism of the XPro1 lately and I myself was initially a little disappointed with what I read about it. However I have decided to definitely purchase one. Here is my thinking...

I have a big month-long trip to Italy coming up and I really don't want to lug a 5D2 and lenses around. I am definitely taking my X100 but I am rightly concerned about only having one camera plus I'd like to be able to shoot wider than 35mm.

This is what i have decided. I shall purchase an X Pro 1 and either one of these (perhaps both of them)..

Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar Aspherical II 15mm f/4.5 Lens $599

or

Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 Lens $749

I will not be purchasing any Fuji fly-by-wire lenses for the XPro1. Instead I shall start collecting M-mount glass in preparation for the release of the M10 at which point I shall ransack my life savings!

The XPro1 with one of these super-wide (but slow) lenses will be perfect for daytime scenic shooting. Zone focusing will be a snap with such wide lenses. I probably won't even have to focus with the magnifier at all.

The X100 will be a backup camera plus of course the evening/nightime camera with it's f2 lens.

These Voigtlander lenses will hardly lose any value and I would probably keep them forever anyway. The cost of ownership of them would be tiny compared to the depreciation on the Fujifilm fly-by-wire lenses over the longer term.

The X Pro1 I think will be perfect in this role as it will effectively eliminate the biggest gripe people seem to have with it, that of focusing.

I have given up my studio photography and am selling off my Canon L lenses (I have quite a few) if anyone is interested let me know.

I think the X Pro 1 is going to work out very well for me indeed. Please if anyone sees any reports or reviews on it with the M-mount adapter and MF lenses link them here. Thanks!

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
RealXenuis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
In reply to LaFonte, Feb 27, 2012

The Voigt 15 II is fantastic. You will be more than happy.

Photohobbyfun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362
Like?
Why X-Pro1 instead of Nex-7?

For what you want to do, I don't see how the X-Pro1 would be good.

1. As far as I know, there isn't an m-mount adapter yet. When's the ETA for the one from Fuji to arrive?

2. Also, you will be using wide angle lenses which means the optical viewfinder won't work because it's optimized for 28mm on the wide end.

3. You're left to work with the LCD or the EVF.

The Sony already has m mount adapters, the EVF is the best in class, it has focus peaking.

The X-Pro1 may have half a stop better, if that, of ISO performance. Who knows about the resolution. The Nex already has a light AA filter and is 24mp compared to Fuji's 16mp and no AA filter.

RealXenuis
Like?
Re: Why X-Pro1 instead of Nex-7?
In reply to Photohobbyfun, Feb 27, 2012

Photohobbyfun wrote:

For what you want to do, I don't see how the X-Pro1 would be good.

You may well be right, but...

1. As far as I know, there isn't an m-mount adapter yet. When's the ETA for the one from Fuji to arrive?

There is an adapter, it was spotted int he wild during an official Fuji event. They've said it will arrive shortly. This would be more of a point if it were a rumor.

2. Also, you will be using wide angle lenses which means the optical viewfinder won't work because it's optimized for 28mm on the wide end.

What's wrong with EVF? He mentioned "zone focusing". Fuji has committed to releasing an 12-24mm, for instance.

Perhaps he wants to use these?

The Sony already has m mount adapters, the EVF is the best in class, it has focus peaking.

Hmm. Some conjecture here no? I see you'd like him to get an Sony.

The X-Pro1 may have half a stop better, if that, of ISO performance. Who knows about the resolution. The Nex already has a light AA filter and is 24mp compared to Fuji's 16mp and no AA filter.

Half stop? Based on the images so far I think it's pretty safe to say the xp1 will be more than a half stop better in low light/high iso. The resolution may be a better point to argue. I guess we should be seeing some real world comparisons soon enough, and then the tech comparisons shortly as well.

Just to clarify, I don't necessarily think the xp1 is the camera he should be looking for, but I don't think it's NOT, based on your criteria. And conversely, perhaps the sony(s) would be perfect for him. I think the NEX-5 and 7 look pretty great.

Photohobbyfun
Like?
In reply to RealXenuis, Feb 27, 2012

RealXenuis wrote:

Photohobbyfun wrote:

There is an adapter, it was spotted int he wild during an official Fuji event. They've said it will arrive shortly. This would be more of a point if it were a rumor.

Yes there is an adapter. Fujifilm said they were making one, that's not news. The thing is that he's on a time schedule because of his vacation so unless its available, he can't use it with M glass the way he wants to.

What's wrong with EVF? He mentioned "zone focusing". Fuji has committed to releasing an 12-24mm, for instance.

Nothing wrong with the EVF or the LCD but the Sony EVF is superior. Perhaps I drew too many assumptions but for me, the allure of the X-Pro1 is the hybrid OVF. My assumption is that the majority of X-Pro1 owners will be using the OVF to compose images, or the EVF.

Seem my previous response.

Conjecture? Absolutely not. I have yet to see a review of the Sony NEX-7 that doesn't call the EVF the best in class. The X-Pro1 uses the same EVF as the one in the X100. It's good, but not best in class. This isn't open to debate, its a fact.

And you see incorrectly. Whether he gets a Sony or Fuji makes no difference to me. I just wanted to offer him some advice.

Half stop? Based on the images so far I think it's pretty safe to say the xp1 will be more than a half stop better in low light/high iso. The resolution may be a better point to argue. I guess we should be seeing some real world comparisons soon enough, and then the tech comparisons shortly as well.

Now this is all conjecture. Until a site like DXOMark rates the sensor, we won't know for sure. Evidence points to the 16mp Fuji sensor being the same 16mp Sony sensor as in the 5N. At least in raw, the performance should be the same.

The X100 has the same Sony sensor as in the D90 and it has almost identical scores.

LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,568Gear list
Like?

Are you a Sony dealer?

Because you trying very hard to sell the sony for some reason or other, but this is a fuji forum and people mostly talks here about fuji cameras.
Or where do you want us to go? To Sony NEX forum to discuss the fuji?

I also own a Sony A55 and A550, excellent cameras, but if I want to discuss this in any length, I go to sony forum.

We got it you don't like fuji, that is perfectly fine, but why your every post is how the xpro is unusable for you? You know I don't like casio a single bit or kodak, it would be weird if I go and post in casio or kodak forum, wouldn't it?

Seriously the only explanation would be that you are either selling something or that you are simply trolling to get into argument to brighten your day.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
dimitrir
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?

Photohobbyfun wrote:

NEX-7 AA filter is nothing but light, so you can forget about rangefinder lenses wider than 35mm (5N is better, but still, color shift and smearing are present). So, if your idea of fun is traveling with a bag full of Canon FD lenses, or one of the hideously large Sony zooms - NEX-7 is an excellent choice.

Dima

alexzn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,572
Like?
DPR clowns.. Re: Why X-Pro1 instead of Nex-7?
In reply to LaFonte, Feb 27, 2012

LaFonte- I find your post and attiude outrageous. If you want to limit the advice people give to pushing Fuji camera, you are a fanboy of the worst kind. Go to the Sigma forum and hang out there with the likeminded clowns. The advice to look at the NEX-7 was very sound and deserves to be heard . The marketplace is large and everyone deserves a camera that best suits their needs. Brand is irrelevant.

DPR is already too far down the slope where it is full of fanboys, and thin on good or even reasonably skilled photographers. Now it is more of a source of entertainment and an arena full of clowns.

P.S. I am not a Sony dealer, I never owned a Sony camera and I own the X100. How's that for Sony fanboy?

LaFonte wrote:

Are you a Sony dealer?

Because you trying very hard to sell the sony for some reason or other, but this is a fuji forum and people mostly talks here about fuji cameras.
Or where do you want us to go? To Sony NEX forum to discuss the fuji?

I also own a Sony A55 and A550, excellent cameras, but if I want to discuss this in any length, I go to sony forum.

We got it you don't like fuji, that is perfectly fine, but why your every post is how the xpro is unusable for you? You know I don't like casio a single bit or kodak, it would be weird if I go and post in casio or kodak forum, wouldn't it?

Seriously the only explanation would be that you are either selling something or that you are simply trolling to get into argument to brighten your day.

alexzn
Like?

You gotta be careful here (the advice from the rabid Fuji fanboys notwithstanding). I like zone focusing myself, but as with every good wide lens a good advice is always "get closer", so you may find focusing a bit more of an issue than you think. (And by the way, if you are not getting closer, you are wasting the $$$ you spent on your lenses). I'd look very carefully into the Fiji lenses before you plunge into Voigtlanders.

First of all, it is a crop sensor, so you are wasting a part of the M-mount lens image. Why pay for that?

Second, digital sensors are not film, they have edge issues, microlenses, etc. M-mount lenses are optimized for film, they are not made to deal with digital-specific issues. An equivalent FOV dedicated lens will likely produce a better image due the software corrections and other things. A lens that is great on a Leica M6 is not necessarily great on a digital body.

Third, again the focussing issue. I'd be very careful about getting a system that you cannot focus with any way other than through the EVF or the screen. I have done that and it is slow and tedious, although quite precise. Fuji lens will have AF as a backup, Sony NEX7 body has focus peaking which by all reports is the best way to MF with a screen/EVF. Both of these options will be easier than X1-Pro with M-adapter.

So, if you go Fuji, I'd go with the native lenses, if you are set of Voigtlanders, I'd look into NEX-7 or a used Leica M8 (cheaper now with the M9 out for a while, and used cameras have very little depreciation). NEX-7 main drawback is that Sony lenses are so darn huge. That will not be a problem for you. Good luck.

Bjrn SWE
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?

The idea of the camera (X-Pro 1) is of course to use Fuji X-mount autofocus lenses. Even though it will be possible to mount other lenses through an M-adapter, I doubt that it will be as good; neither fast, accurate or fun!?
(I might be wrong about this though...)

RealXenuis
Like?

Photohobbyfun wrote:

RealXenuis wrote:

Photohobbyfun wrote:

Yes there is an adapter. Fujifilm said they were making one, that's not news. The thing is that he's on a time schedule because of his vacation so unless its available, he can't use it with M glass the way he wants to.

Fair enough.

Nothing wrong with the EVF or the LCD but the Sony EVF is superior. Perhaps I drew too many assumptions but for me, the allure of the X-Pro1 is the hybrid OVF. My assumption is that the majority of X-Pro1 owners will be using the OVF to compose images, or the EVF.

It is? How would you go about proving it's "superior"? He mentioned zone focusing, so I assumed he meant he'd be zone focusing. Perhaps I drew the wrong assumption.

Seem my previous response.

Oh, right the one where you've declared it superior. Gotcha.

Conjecture? Absolutely not. I have yet to see a review of the Sony NEX-7 that doesn't call the EVF the best in class. The X-Pro1 uses the same EVF as the one in the X100. It's good, but not best in class. This isn't open to debate, its a fact.

Oh, have you read a real review of the xp1 yet from any of the major sites? Perhaps you have some access to them that I'm not aware of.

Well, while I can't with a straight face disagree that the sony EVF is not better - mostly for lack of actual reviews of the xp1 that include measurements etc - I'll have to disagree with you that you have a metric to back up your claim of "fact" that it's better. If you still insist that it is factually better, and thus beyond conjecture, please do post some measurements to back it up, won't you? I really WANT to believe you.

And you see incorrectly. Whether he gets a Sony or Fuji makes no difference to me. I just wanted to offer him some advice.

I admit I could be wrong. I think the NEX cameras seem very good indeed. My reaction is based on your points about why you think the Fuji is wrong.

Now this is all conjecture. Until a site like DXOMark rates the sensor, we won't know for sure. Evidence points to the 16mp Fuji sensor being the same 16mp Sony sensor as in the 5N. At least in raw, the performance should be the same.

We're not sure which sensor was used, like you said. Regardless, you've managed to leave out the two arguably most important major features that differentiate the whole camera from all others available: the unique bayer color pattern filter and the lack of an AA filter. Also, the most compelling comparisons thus far would be actual shots taken with the cameras. I think you're gonna find it a very difficult argument to suggest the XP1 is a wash with the NEX-5n in image quality. The very strongest appeal of the IQ in all shots thus far is how incredibly well it handles low light/noise, and the amount of detail it retains. The NEX 's are great cameras, but thus far, unless you just ignore all the better samples of the XP1, they aren't it's equal. If you disagree, then please make your case. I have not problem admitting i'm wrong (as you'll see in our conversation).

DR is yet to be determined, but certainly it's looking very impressive, and the color is fantastic, although that could be mostly the lenses, so it's harder to make a comparison there yet.

The X100 has the same Sony sensor as in the D90 and it has almost identical scores.

I don't disagree there, as I'm not familiar with the X100 other than just casual mentions in these forums. The D90 was a great camera. The X100 images look great too.

MayaTlab0
Contributing MemberPosts: 638
Like?

Apparently, the NEX-7's AA filter design, as light as it may be, creates problems with M mount wide angle lenses :

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/10/28/sony-nex-7-with-wide-angle-leica-lenses-a-quick-test-and-gxr-comparison/

So, especially with those Voigtlanders, the NEX 7 is a no-no. Apparently the Ricoh is a substantially better choice with those wide lenses. The NEX 5n doesn't seem as affected as the NEX 7, so that may also be an option. With its lack of AA filter, the X pro 1 may be a choice as good as the Ricoh for those very wide lenses.

Photohobbyfun
Like?
In reply to alexzn, Feb 27, 2012

alexzn wrote:

You gotta be careful here (the advice from the rabid Fuji fanboys notwithstanding). I like zone focusing myself, but as with every good wide lens a good advice is always "get closer", so you may find focusing a bit more of an issue than you think. (And by the way, if you are not getting closer, you are wasting the $$$ you spent on your lenses). I'd look very carefully into the Fiji lenses before you plunge into Voigtlanders.

First of all, it is a crop sensor, so you are wasting a part of the M-mount lens image. Why pay for that?

Second, digital sensors are not film, they have edge issues, microlenses, etc. M-mount lenses are optimized for film, they are not made to deal with digital-specific issues. An equivalent FOV dedicated lens will likely produce a better image due the software corrections and other things. A lens that is great on a Leica M6 is not necessarily great on a digital body.

Third, again the focussing issue. I'd be very careful about getting a system that you cannot focus with any way other than through the EVF or the screen. I have done that and it is slow and tedious, although quite precise. Fuji lens will have AF as a backup, Sony NEX7 body has focus peaking which by all reports is the best way to MF with a screen/EVF. Both of these options will be easier than X1-Pro with M-adapter.

So, if you go Fuji, I'd go with the native lenses, if you are set of Voigtlanders, I'd look into NEX-7 or a used Leica M8 (cheaper now with the M9 out for a while, and used cameras have very little depreciation). NEX-7 main drawback is that Sony lenses are so darn huge. That will not be a problem for you. Good luck.

I got the sense that the OP is really looking at Leica for his long term solution and a camera to mount m glass is only a stop gap measure till the Leica M10 comes out. He did say he isn't interested in native lenses.

So a used M8 may be the better route to take, although the OP may be considering keeping the camera as a "backup" body, in which case an M8 may be too expensive, considering he's going for a M10. Also, with the release of an M10, I would expect used prices for both M8's and M9's to drop but that's just a guess.

Here's another idea though. Buy a used NEX-5/5N, buy a "cold" shoe adapter, add external OVF's, and mount your M glass.

(Oh oh, looks like I'm a Sony and Leica dealer now! Dun! Dun! Dun!)

RealXenuis
Like?
In reply to alexzn, Feb 27, 2012

You gotta be careful getting advise from Fuji fanboys in an Fuji forum? Solid!

You really have to worry more about trolls here than fanboys. I mean, you're posting this in their forum, no? But, there are more than a few trolls that lurk here and will offer you no sincere advice. That doesn't mean some, most, or all of it is bad advice or insincere. It's just, this characterization by alexzn is a bit skewed to suggest there are more or louder fanboys here than trolls. And at least you know to expect the fanboys within their forum. You know where they're coming from. The trolls are just here to confuse you and dissuade you, and it's easy to discover them. If you get a bit of seemingly exaggerated "advice", just click on their profile and skim a few of their posts. You'll see the pattern and can make your own decision.

alexzn wrote:

Why not? They're smaller lenses that make the body + lens combo more compact. They look, feel, and perform fantastically, and they are quite affordable (esp in the context of M-mount lenses). There is nothing wrong with not using the whole image circle the lens provides. In fact, generally the center of lenses perform better than the edges, so one could argue that they're getting the best usable part of a FF lens using an APS-C camera.

This is somewhat valid. Sometimes the coatings work better on FF than with crop. And yes, some APS-C have microlenses and focus (flim) plane distance issues that make FF lenses perform worse on crop sensors. Fortunately for the OP, the XP1 deals with both by making the mount to film plane distance the shortest of any camera that accepts FF lenses. Which, coincidentally, Fuji claims to help in low light transmission, as well. No problems there!

Probably true, unless Fuji introduces peaking at some point. Although, if you read round most of the recent reviews now that it's out say that MF is good to fine. I personally would never want to focus with a lens that has no feedback or dampening, so a very valid point.

The NEX should def be in his consideration. The Voigt's however should work well on the XP1 as well. Both Leicas would be fine, but we're looking at older tech and definitely poorer in low light, and no AF. I agree if he's going with the Fuji, he should get at least one of their lenses, if anything to get it's full potential.

alexzn
Like?
For your purpose

I'd suggest you take the X100 and not bother with X1-Pro at all. Based on your website you know what you need better than 99.9% of the people on this site (who are mostly gadget freaks other than photographers). You would enjoy simplicity of the X100, and I am sure 35mm won't limit you too much. I also have a 5D but I travel only with X100. Going the adapter.MF route is too much hassle, you want to be shooting pictures, not getting used to a new camera arrangement on this trip.

If you do go with X1Pro and definitely want wider, I'd get the dedicated WA for it.

MayaTlab0
Contributing MemberPosts: 638
Like?

RealXenuis wrote:

The NEX should def be in his consideration. The Voigt's however should work well on the XP1 as well. Both Leicas would be fine, but we're looking at older tech and definitely poorer in low light, and no AF. I agree if he's going with the Fuji, he should get at least one of their lenses, if anything to get it's full potential.

Not all NEX cameras. As I said (see link above), the NEX 7 will produce pretty poor results with the two Voigtlanders the OP is considering. The 5n should provide better ones. With its lack of AA filter, the X pro 1 may be indeed very good, but we should wait for formal testing. The Ricoh Leica M module has already been tested and perform flawlessly with those wide lenses.

RealXenuis
Like?

Is the rangefinder mechanic important to you? Are you going to covet (and can afford) a Leica body later? Then I wouldn't consider the XP1. It would be an expensive stopgap, and you have an X100 for low light and casual. I would suggest you just suck it up and make do with your current setup then get Leica.

If that's not important to you, you're plan makes a lot of sense. The only caveat is if MF on the XP1 is a pain when you're not zone focusing. There aren't enough real reviews out there yet to know how well the focusing will work, and there are possible issues with framing (although I think that is a bit overblown in these forums. There are plenty of ppl using bodies with set framelines and still buying glass of all sizes and making due. Esp with digital, it's an easy quick test shot, if you need it).

The NEX's would be great too, I'm sure. There are no terrible choices you've given yourself here.

If you get a Voigt, i suggest the 15 II. It's quite wide and very very sharp with good color, less distortion, brighter, and cheaper.

RealXenuis
Like?
In reply to MayaTlab0, Feb 27, 2012

You're right, I should have been more specific. I meant generally, choosing the NEX (the one without the edge discoloration etc) is not a bad choice. And even the other NEX's don't behave badly in overall image quality, but fussing with that edge stuff is problematic at best. I've heard the Ricoh is fantastic, and I don't doubt it, though it wouldn't be my suggestion personally.

MayaTlab0 wrote:

RealXenuis wrote:

Not all NEX cameras. As I said (see link above), the NEX 7 will produce pretty poor results with the two Voigtlanders the OP is considering. The 5n should provide better ones. With its lack of AA filter, the X pro 1 may be indeed very good, but we should wait for formal testing. The Ricoh Leica M module has already been tested and perform flawlessly with those wide lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads