is the pentax k-5 successor coming anytime soon?

Started Feb 27, 2012 | Discussions
jj74e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,633
Like?
is the pentax k-5 successor coming anytime soon?
Feb 27, 2012

Sorry if this has been done over already in the forum, but I'm new to Pentax (actually I still don't even own anything Pentax, but...)

I currently have a mirrorless system camera, but I've been thinking about investing in a DSLR instead. I won't be buying that many lenses except at least one telephoto, a couple pancakes/primes, and then the kit lens, so the Pentax system is more than complete for me.

I'm intrigued by the K-5- it's like the Canon 7D but cheaper, smaller and the small loss of performance I can deal with.

However, I do want better video implementation, and that's the real thing that's holding me back from buying the K-5.

So I was wondering, is there supposed to be a successor to the K-5 anytime soon (within the end of this summer)? Assuming that Pentax realizes the emphasis on video in DSLRs occurring this year, which I think they will considering the K-01's video specs already looked improved.

I'm looking to buy a new camera within the end of summer at the latest, hopefully within this spring....so unfortunately if Pentax isn't releasing a new model by then, I'll probably stick with my mirrorless system for now as new models for that are supposed to be available before the summer's start.

EDIT

Also, can anyone tell me what the hoopla about the limited lenses are about? I was excited about looking into them, since I thought they were smaller primes....but when I was browsing on bhphotovideo.com, I noticed that a lot of them don't even have that great an aperture advantage over a typical zoom lens, and to me the aperture gain is more important than the size. And most of them are pretty expensive compared to Canon or Nikon's prime equivalents. am I missing something?

Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sfa1966
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,168Gear list
Like?
Re: is the pentax k-5 successor coming anytime soon?
In reply to jj74e, Feb 27, 2012

Can't help with the K-5 successor stuff, save to say that we're about 4 months away from the end of the 18-month product cycle which (unofficially) seems to be the Pentax timetable. I expect an announcement at/before Photokina.

jj74e wrote:

EDIT
Also, can anyone tell me what the hoopla about the limited lenses are about?

Yes. Small. Light. Metal-bodied. Beautifully made. High quality. High contrast. Good flare resistance. Consistent sharpness across the frame. Excellent wide open. Unobtrusive.

I was excited about looking into them,

Good to hear.

since I thought they were smaller primes....

They are.

but when I was browsing on bhphotovideo.com, I noticed that a lot of them don't even have that great an aperture advantage over a typical zoom lens,

True, they don't; especially the DA Limiteds (the FAs are faster though).

and to me the aperture gain is more important than the size.

Then your excitement over their small size is tricky to understand.

And most of them are pretty expensive compared to Canon or Nikon's prime equivalents.

You get what you pay for

am I missing something?

You are.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,299Gear list
Like?

We don't know exactly when the successor of the K-5 will be and the specs !

As for the DA limited they cost much even if the aperture is slower because they are ALL metal lens like the old time not plastic lenses like most of the lenses on the market. This is why they cost more and the IQ is different but they are not necessarily the sharpest in their focal length. If you want a fast Limited go for the FA Limited but the price is very high!

Good luck and i hope you will find the camera for your needs.
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/
http://www.limagier-photo.com/
http://www.firstlight.com/galleries.php
http://steevemarcoux2.wordpress.com/

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,324Gear list
Like?
Yes...

I am very hopeful that we'll know what will replace the K5 by the end of the summer/fall, but it's likely to be yet several months before we see anything, i.e. Spring 2013. All speculation though, I've got nothing to base that on except historical trends.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
powP0Wpow
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
In reply to sfa1966, Feb 27, 2012

No need to be a dick. The man just wanted some info.

Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?
I'm buying K5 now
In reply to rogerstpierre, Feb 27, 2012

I'm a long time user of Pentax gear, the K5 is on my short but expensive list of things I need to buy soon.

I read hear a statement by one of the more knowlledgable folks that the new model perhaps won't be released until fall. For me that means won't be available perhaps even before November..

I know that pentax is has been slower to update their cameras models then Nikon or Canon, olympus is even slower.. but generally this allows pentax to offer really good value for money.

If you want a camera for stills then it's hard to beat the pentax K5, for video I don't recall reading anything convincing about DSLR's a video cameras from any manufacturer. It's a must have "feature" but for any more extensive use I think I'd just get aconsumer video camera.

But hey if it's a video DSLR camera you want, then perhaps one of the other DSLR's has slightly better video capabilities..

Regards

Brent

-- hide signature --

Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
AlexMonro
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Re: I'm buying K5 now
In reply to Brentliris, Feb 27, 2012

I was in my local camera shop last week and the Pentax rep happened to be there, so I asked him when were we likely to hear about a new DSLR. He said there should be an announcement in about a couple of months. He didn't say if this was for a high end (K5) replacement or a low end (K-r) model though.

MonkRX
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Sensor Successor
In reply to AlexMonro, Feb 27, 2012

If Pentax decided to upgrade the K01's sensor, we might have a half a stop (or so) improvement in noise performance there.

... But its not really a successor to the K-5. Just a sensor upgrade.

MonkRX's gear list:MonkRX's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-P505 +1 more
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,221Gear list
Like?
Re: Sensor Successor
In reply to MonkRX, Feb 27, 2012

MonkRX wrote:

If Pentax decided to upgrade the K01's sensor, we might have a half a stop (or so) improvement in noise performance there.

... But its not really a successor to the K-5. Just a sensor upgrade.

Hmmmmm .. I am trying to map this answer to the OPs question and to reality. But I failed both

The OP asked for any knowledge about an upgrade to K-5, not to K01.

And ... why should Pentax come with a K01 with a new sensor now. K01 is just now released.

And ... if they did ... whats about the half stop of improvement in noise. What sensor are we then talking about?

-- hide signature --

Roland

support http://www.openraw.org/
(Sleeping - so the need to support it is even higher)

X3F tools : http://www.proxel.se/x3f.html

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,917
Like?

MY guess is that we'll hear an announcement soon. Though I have to say, I honestly can't think of much that's out there in terms of refinements that would justify upgrading insofar as my own experiences go. - whatever the case, it'll be interesting to see what they come-up with.

justin23
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,148Gear list
Like?

Photokina is Septemebr 2012. thats the next round of big announcements. I'd be very very surprised is something came earlier.

i expect at least 1 new dSLR from Pentax and probablt pricing and availabilty of the Da50 and DA560 lenses. hopefully more info on the other roadmapped lenses.

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/justinwatson

justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
carlgt1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
who needs a successor?

if it right now has a "Gold Award" at DPR, is only $1199 or so, and a DXOMark of 82 (one of the highest if not the highest APS-C) - who needs a "successor" model?

carlgt1's gear list:carlgt1's gear list
Sony RX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,961
Like?
In reply to justin23, Feb 27, 2012

justin23 wrote:

Photokina is Septemebr 2012. thats the next round of big announcements. I'd be very very surprised is something came earlier.

PhotoWorld-Dubai is at the end of April. I'm thinking the K-r replacement will be announced then, but the K-5 replacement is probably going to be in Sept. as you said.

Thank you
Russell

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,668Gear list
Like?
In reply to justin23, Feb 27, 2012

Pentax have always stated they release/design models based a legitimate advances fro the photographer.

So far the K models have obeyed this design philosophy , But now were at a a cusp where if the design philosophy is to be followed no new model will be released on the 18 month cycle.

Unless Sony/Samsung have something that appeals to Pentax which I'm not sure the 36Mp beast does.

I think it possible Pentax will allow the Kr to die without replacement then introduce an new mid market k3 offering similar spec to the k5 but in a lower price point package (from a manufacturing point of view)

Then later/ much later replace the k5 with FF offering or high Mp aps-c.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
MonkRX
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Feb 27, 2012

Roland wrote:

Hmmmmm .. I am trying to map this answer to the OPs question and to reality. But I failed both emoticon - smile

Honestly, I didn't read the post. Just the topic name. I guess I was really tired when I made the post

The OP asked for any knowledge about an upgrade to K-5, not to K01.

I thought it was fairly obvious that I was talking about advantages in Pentax's new camera (in this case, the K01) against the old K-5.

And ... why should Pentax come with a K01 with a new sensor now. K01 is just now released.

The K-5 is nearly a year old. Sony has to have created "newer" APS-C 16MP sensors. The question is: Which variant does the K01 use, and what advantages or disadvantages does it bring when compared to the K5's sensor. (If different).

And ... if they did ... whats about the half stop of improvement in noise. What sensor are we then talking about?

Read above. We don't know what they're using. None of the manufactures state exactly which sensor they use, what they're "binned" for, how many dead pixels they tolerate, etc. The hardware in cameras in general have been huge levels of fog and uncertainty. We don't know the RAM, CPU, built in Flash memory, etc.

awaldram wrote:

Pentax have always stated they release/design models based a legitimate advances fro the photographer.

So far the K models have obeyed this design philosophy , But now were at a a cusp where if the design philosophy is to be followed no new model will be released on the 18 month cycle.

Unless Sony/Samsung have something that appeals to Pentax which I'm not sure the 36Mp beast does.

^ This. I'm curious if Pentax is waiting on Sony to develop a sensor appealing enough for Pentax to throw into their K-3. Its likely all K-3 software development is all done. They're probably just waiting on a good sensor, then they'll just optimize the in camera processing/NR.

Its completely possible that we'll see a minor improvement to the K-5 with mostly software improvements, like more video options.

MonkRX's gear list:MonkRX's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-P505 +1 more
pedroboe100
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?
Pentax limited: yum!

Not only on my K5 but they work good here as well:

pedroboe100's gear list:pedroboe100's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax MX-1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +11 more
Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,481
Like?

No one with any real knowledge would dare breathe a word of it, including Pentax sales reps (I didn't know there were any left). But it makes sense to bring out new camera models in time for the Christmas season, when people tend to go nuts buying gifts for others as well as themselves. Therefore, it would not surprise me if we learn of a K-5 replacement sometime next Fall, possibly at Photokina.

Rob

Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,221Gear list
Like?
In reply to MonkRX, Feb 27, 2012

OK - no wonder I could not map your post to something understandable.

It was about something completely different than I thought

OK - so you are speculating regarding if the sensor in K01 is a newer one than the one in K-5 and then you also guesstimate that it might be half a stop better.

Maybe .. or maybe not. Who knows.

The OS mechanics might also be improved. Who knows?

And the lack of slapping mirror certainly is an advantage for shake free images.

But K-5 seems to have a much better grip.

So ...

-- hide signature --

Roland

support http://www.openraw.org/
(Sleeping - so the need to support it is even higher)

X3F tools : http://www.proxel.se/x3f.html

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
justin23
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,148Gear list
Like?
In reply to jj74e, Feb 28, 2012

OP as you mention video, the K01 certainly has much improved video, but the K-5 is by no means that bad. Still, I'd think and k-5 replacement will match or better the K01's video modes.

But likely to be September.... There may be a k-r replacement if they plan to release one and the K-01 is not it, before mid year.

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/justinwatson

justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
asahi man
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?
In reply to jj74e, Feb 28, 2012

You will see the successor in september.early before it comes a low end,in september more new bodys.
the biggest point is video
best regards

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads