Girls Gone Vinyl

Started Feb 26, 2012 | Discussions
Irakly Shanidze
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,051Gear list
Like?
Girls Gone Vinyl
Feb 26, 2012

I am working on stills for a pretty cool documentary called Girls Gone Vinyl. Its about girls who are crazy enough to have chosen a hugely male dominated profession of a DJ.

What is so awesome about M9 is that my initial ideas about using studio lighting for these shoots (cause it's dark, you know?) have proven utterly unnecessary. Go Leica

-- hide signature --
 Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9
markforce
Contributing MemberPosts: 500
Like?
Re: Girls Gone Vinyl
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, Feb 26, 2012

cool stuff, love the first one!
Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Per PN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,267
Like?

I find myself more drawn to the second shot.

-- hide signature --

Per Nicolaisen

Photo's of my East Greenland:
http://www.byper.net

Dr. Ulrich  Rohde
Contributing MemberPosts: 838Gear list
Like?

amazing as always

Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list:Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list
Leica X Vario Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Leica M8 Leica M9 +10 more
Irakly Shanidze
Like?
In reply to Per PN, Feb 26, 2012

second shot is fun, first one is work
--
Irakly Shanidze
http://www.shanidze.com/en

Leica M9
nathaniel m
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?
Glad to see you back
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, Feb 27, 2012

the photos are nice, too

nathaniel m's gear list:nathaniel m's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
noneyabidnis
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
Wonderful - some CC
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, Feb 27, 2012

The first picture is wonderful. So is the second one, though I'm not sure if the heavy set gentleman lying down is just taking a nap or is perhaps having a heart attack. And why was he in that room with that young lady with the door closed? Hmmm? Was there a little hanky panky going on in there?

Anyway - I highly recommend employing what I like to call "selective color" in your photos. Make everything black and white except for one color. So, for example, if the girl was holding a rose, you could leave red as the color and then everything else would be black or white. You can do this in Adobe Photoshop 7.0 but it's complicated so I use my friend's Apple iPad.

Also, you could try using the mini technique on the first photo. That would look wicked sweet. The mini technique is where you make everything bluring except a pretty thin line that goes across the whole photo. I recommend using layer masks so that it works better. There are a lot of tutorials about it online so if you're interested, you can search for them or I can send you some good info from online websites.

-- hide signature --

I am the M&M of taking pictures.

Irakly Shanidze
Like?
Re: Wonderful - some CC
In reply to noneyabidnis, Feb 27, 2012

Thank you for taking time to write!

It is ambiguity of the second photo that actually makes it interesting. See, with how many stories you have already came up? Makes imagination gland pump its secret like no other
As to following your advice, I will abstain

The thing is, what you call selective color, which is, in fact, selective desaturation, used to be a groundbreaking technique when Eisenstein used it in his cinematographic masterpiece "Battleship Potyomkin" in 1925. Since then it has become so overused that at this point it is considered the worst cliche.
--
Irakly Shanidze
http://www.shanidze.com/en

Leica M9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads