Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 on Olympus Bodies and OM-D?

Started Feb 25, 2012 | Discussions
Uncle Albert
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 on Olympus Bodies and OM-D?
Feb 25, 2012

Okay, I've searched and searched the web, done a forum search here, and I'm still undecided. Anyone who owns the Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4: Are you over the clicking sound? Is it worth it to have the lens on an Olympus body? Is there a chance that the aperture blades will wear out? Is the sound really THAT bad? I only found one YouTube video.

Also, I read that the clicking issues on the Panny 20mm were alleviated on the E-P3. This this true? And is it probable that the clicking issues on the PL 25mm might be solved on the OM-D?

I'm currently on an E-P1 with a Panny 20mm, and hoping that an upgrade to the OM-D with the PL 25mm will be a significant upgrade.

Opinions welcome, but please - none of these "DIDN'T YOU SEARCH THE FORUMS?" answers. I'm looking for recent opinions from current owners.

THANKS!!

Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
iau
iau
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 on Olympus Bodies and OM-D?
In reply to Uncle Albert, Feb 25, 2012

You can hear the clicking sound even on the GX1 under certain light conditions. Bought the lens last week and used it outdoor for the first time today. It was bright light due to the snow and sunny, and I started hearing some noises from the lens. Turned out they went away when the I pointed at a darker motive after a while. A little annoying, but I will be keeping the lens anyway. Considered the 20mm which I used to have on my GF1, but that was also quite noise in its own way.

iau's gear list:iau's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Uncle Albert
Like?
In reply to iau, Feb 25, 2012

Thanks!!

Panda9
Regular MemberPosts: 423
Like?
I don't hear anything on my E-P3

I bought my 25mm two months ago and have been using it on my E-P3. I don't hear any clicking, rattlesnake, chattering, or similar. I've put it up to my ear while in bright daylight and indoors, and hear only silence.

I'm glad I don't have the issue, but can't tell you why I don't. Maybe mine is new enough and the problem was only older stock. Maybe it doesn't show up on the E-P3. I never had noises with the 20mm on my E-PL1, E-PL2, E-P2, or E-P3, either. Who knows why.

creezalird
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?

i am using e-p3 with PL25mm myself and been plagued with the noise and just ignore it everytime.

but, recently i had the opportunity to test omd e-m5 with PL25mm and guess what, no shutter sounds at that time, but maybe more vigorous test needs to be done as i was only playing with the e-m5 for a short time.

I had the opportunity to play with it during Olympus KL gathering at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
--
creezalird

Uncle Albert
Like?
In reply to creezalird, Feb 25, 2012

That's really good to hear, creezalird!

creezalird wrote:

but, recently i had the opportunity to test omd e-m5 with PL25mm and guess what, no shutter sounds at that time, but maybe more vigorous test needs to be done as i was only playing with the e-m5 for a short time.

Did you mean that you didn't hear the aperture blades chirping? Would you say that even with the sounds from the PL25 that it's worth it to own one?

James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,715Gear list
Like?
E-PL3 and PanaLeica 25mm f/1.4

My PanaLeica 25mm f/1.4 is the best lens I own, bar none. The images are superb from my E-PL3. The aperture blades chatter at times. So what. I don't worry about it. The noise gives the camera character.

I have no idea if the noise manifests itself during video shooting. I have never shot video with my E-PL3. It's silly on a still camera.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Anthony Cheh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,438
Like?
PL25 1.4... I Love This Lens
In reply to creezalird, Feb 26, 2012

This lens is one of the best I've photographed through and I love the way it handles on the E-P3 WITH THE LARGE GRIP:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/819804-REG/Olympus_V332020BW000_Large_Grip_for_E_P3.html

The chattering sound is quite evident though and it's encouraging to see a preliminary report that EM-5 doesn't have it.

Tony

Phil
Contributing MemberPosts: 771Gear list
Like?
I wear hearing aids and....
In reply to James Pilcher, Feb 26, 2012

I have never heard a sound out of the PL 25mm on the EPM-1. I bearly hear the shutter. Forget noise, you will not be disappointed. I like the slight larger lenes better than pancakes. Something to grab and nothing fits in the pocket anyway.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,421
Like?
In reply to Uncle Albert, Feb 26, 2012

Uncle Albert wrote:

Okay, I've searched and searched the web, done a forum search here, and I'm still undecided. Anyone who owns the Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4: Are you over the clicking sound? Is it worth it to have the lens on an Olympus body? Is there a chance that the aperture blades will wear out? Is the sound really THAT bad? I only found one YouTube video.

Also, I read that the clicking issues on the Panny 20mm were alleviated on the E-P3. This this true? And is it probable that the clicking issues on the PL 25mm might be solved on the OM-D?

I have an E-PM1, and BOTH the 25mm f/1.4 and the 14mm f/2.5 make clicking sounds. It seems to be an issue with Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies. Actually, I think Olympus lenses also make those sounds, but the aperture blades are a lot quieter on Olympus lenses.

gustabod
Senior MemberPosts: 1,444Gear list
Like?

I have both the 25 f1.4 and 0 f1.7, bodies EP-3 and EP-1 as well as a GF1.

No noise from the 20 on any body ( or the panny 14 which I also have for that matter), but quite a bit of noise from the 25 on the EP3 (haven't used on EP1). It is distracting, used last week end at a model shoot and everyone was looking at the camera! (EP3).

It's a great lens, the images are superb.
--
gustavo

http://www.pbase.com/gustabod

gustabod's gear list:gustabod's gear list
Nikon D3S Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Melbourne Park
Senior MemberPosts: 2,408Gear list
Like?

I would stick with the 20mm. Even though I've read that many who buy the 25, no longer use their 20mm after purchase. But ... the lens is $540. Consider instead either the 12mm (although its relatively expensive at $800) or the 45 mm Olympus (the latter is $400 in the USA and is better for portrait type work than the other lenses mentioned).

If you are inside a lot, then perhaps the extra width of the 12mm lens would complement the 20mm a lot more than the IMO incremental gain from the 25mm, which although better, is not the step forward either of these two other lenses would give you.

bjmike
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?

I have the PanaLeica 25mm on a GF1. Its a really superb lens. Optically, it lives up to the Leica name. Construction is a bit plasticky, like all the other Panasonic lenses (meaning, also, that its pretty light).

That said, I've never noticed any clicking noises.

And I also wonder how it would perform on an Oly OM-D
--

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/mfurst_photos/Surmang%20and%20Yushu%202009/?albumview=slideshow

bjmike's gear list:bjmike's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,715Gear list
Like?
Olympus lens chatter
In reply to sigala1, Feb 27, 2012

sigala1 wrote:

I have an E-PM1, and BOTH the 25mm f/1.4 and the 14mm f/2.5 make clicking sounds. It seems to be an issue with Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies. Actually, I think Olympus lenses also make those sounds, but the aperture blades are a lot quieter on Olympus lenses.

Yup. My 45mm f/1.8 also rattlesnakes once in a while on my EPL3, although not as loudly as the PL 25mm f/1.4. I don't care and it's not an issue for me.

Jim Pilcher

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
G1Shooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 553Gear list
Like?
In reply to iau, Feb 27, 2012

iau wrote:

You can hear the clicking sound even on the GX1 under certain light conditions. Bought the lens last week and used it outdoor for the first time today. It was bright light due to the snow and sunny, and I started hearing some noises from the lens.

Had nearly the same experience today using it on a G2 outdoors in bright sunlight.

The lens makes very nice images so I will need to get over it. It really isn't that bad and only last for a second, at least it did in my case.

G1Shooter's gear list:G1Shooter's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Kevdog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,381Gear list
Like?
In reply to Uncle Albert, Feb 27, 2012

I live in Arizona in the desert. It is sunny over 300 days each year. I have the PL25 on my E-PM1 and yes it does click out in the sunlight. No I would not give up this lens because of the clicking. I've read that if it really bugs you, you can put on a ND filter to lessen the clicking.

To me it's definitely not a rattlesnake noise, but more of a fast tick from a metronome for about 3-4 clicks.

Here's the reasons I'll keep the lens!
First 3 on E-PM1

Kevdog's gear list:Kevdog's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
Sevventh
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?

It chatters on the ep3 like crazy when light changes drastically. On the street you can't hear it but inside you can. It has other oddities regarding aperature on oly bodies that have been discussed adnoseum on this forum. That said, it is amazing and I use it daily over my 20mm.

ajwan
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
Re: E-PL3 and PanaLeica 25mm f/1.4
In reply to James Pilcher, Feb 27, 2012

My 25mm/f1.4 chatters too. So what? I don't really care. This issue has been wayyyy overblown.

Regards,
AJW

James Pilcher wrote:

My PanaLeica 25mm f/1.4 is the best lens I own, bar none. The images are superb from my E-PL3. The aperture blades chatter at times. So what. I don't worry about it. The noise gives the camera character.

I have no idea if the noise manifests itself during video shooting. I have never shot video with my E-PL3. It's silly on a still camera.

Jim Pilcher

-- hide signature --

Panasonic G3

Uncle Albert
Like?

Thanks for all the input, everyone! Sound like it's not a big deal. Appreciate the feedback!

joesilver
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?

Just to provide a contrasting opinion: I have a GH2 and an E-PL1, and the 25mm. The chattering noise that this lens makes on the E-PL1 was so annoying to me that it inspired me to sell the E-PL1 and buy a new "second" camera to replace it, the E-PM1. I'm glad I did; the E-PL1 is a fine camera that is capable of producing great images, but, as many have noted before me, the latest generation of PENs focuses faster and feels more responsive. The noise from the 25mm is much shorter and more subdued on the E-PM1.

joesilver's gear list:joesilver's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads