New Nikon-SA adapter, with infinity focus!...

Started Feb 25, 2012 | Discussions
DaSigmaGuy
Forum ProPosts: 12,275Gear list
Like?
New Nikon-SA adapter, with infinity focus!...
Feb 25, 2012

Recently I emailed Masakazu San at JTAT to get confirmation of the existence of their new Nikon-SA adapter. He informs me that they it will soon be officially announcing it on their website, possibly next week.

As some of you will recall, the old model JTAT Nikon-SA adapter was only usable on Sigma cameras with the now defunkt Mk1 SA mount only found on the SA300, SA-5, SA-7, SA-9, SD9 and SD10.

It allowed infinity focus on those cameras with most manual focus Nikon lenses, however, it was not useable on later Sigma cameras which all have the newer, weatherproofed Mk2 SA mount.

So for the first time ever, this new adapter will now offer users of the SD14, SD15, SD1 and SD1M, full infinity focus with Nikon lenses!

The price will apparently be about 17500Yen, including delivery, which is about £137, $217 US, or 161 Euros...Certainly not cheap, but at least the option will now be available for those keen to try out Nikon lenses on the SA mount at infinity without requiring even more expensive camera mount swap kit or the skills needed for lensmount conversions.

DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +25 more
Sigma SD1 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,745
Like?
Re: New Nikon-SA adapter, with infinity focus!...
In reply to DaSigmaGuy, Feb 25, 2012

Nice to know, Alf. Thanks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joaquin100
Senior MemberPosts: 1,540Gear list
Like?

DaSigmaGuy wrote:

...Certainly not cheap, but at least the option will now be available for those keen to try out Nikon lenses on the SA mount at infinity without requiring even more expensive camera mount swap kit

Or lugging around a sack of Glass.

Thanx for this info.

DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,591
Like?

How will it work, Alf?

-- hide signature --
ChromeLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,516
Like?

Dumb question, but does an adaptor like this allow only infinity focus, or is it that this now allows for infinity focus?

DaSigmaGuy wrote:

Recently I emailed Masakazu San at JTAT to get confirmation of the existence of their new Nikon-SA adapter. He informs me that they it will soon be officially announcing it on their website, possibly next week.

As some of you will recall, the old model JTAT Nikon-SA adapter was only usable on Sigma cameras with the now defunkt Mk1 SA mount only found on the SA300, SA-5, SA-7, SA-9, SD9 and SD10.

It allowed infinity focus on those cameras with most manual focus Nikon lenses, however, it was not useable on later Sigma cameras which all have the newer, weatherproofed Mk2 SA mount.

So for the first time ever, this new adapter will now offer users of the SD14, SD15, SD1 and SD1M, full infinity focus with Nikon lenses!

The price will apparently be about 17500Yen, including delivery, which is about £137, $217 US, or 161 Euros...Certainly not cheap, but at least the option will now be available for those keen to try out Nikon lenses on the SA mount at infinity without requiring even more expensive camera mount swap kit or the skills needed for lensmount conversions.

EirikM
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?

I bought one few days ago. The adapter is made of duralumin. I will post some pictures when I get it. Looking forward to test Nikon 14-24 with SD15 and SD1.

EirikM's gear list:EirikM's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD15 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
Topi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202
Like?
In reply to EirikM, Feb 25, 2012

Isn't the 14-24 a G lens? That would make it a bit difficult to use as there's no aperture ring and the aperture will be f:32 or whatever the smallest aperture setting is.

-Topi

EirikM
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
In reply to Topi, Feb 25, 2012

Yes , you need a small piece of plastic to keep the lever up.

EirikM's gear list:EirikM's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD15 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,586
Like?

This is about the price Novoflex in Germany charge for their range of lens-to-camera adaptors. (Which do not include SA.)

Mass-produced Chinese adaptors are about 10-20% of this price.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,586
Like?
In reply to ChromeLight, Feb 25, 2012

ChromeLight wrote:

Dumb question, but does an adaptor like this allow only infinity focus, or is it that this now allows for infinity focus?

It allows focus to all distances including infinity.

The problem here is that a Sigma camera is only a couple of mm thinner than a Nikon, so the adaptor has to be no more than a couple of mm thick. If it was, for instance, 10mm thick, the lens could focus at close distances but not to infinity.

DaSigmaGuy
Like?
In reply to DMillier, Feb 25, 2012

DMillier wrote:

How will it work, Alf?

The old JTAT adapter was an external adapter, but this new one is an "internal" adapter...In other words it has a female Nikon bayonet on the front and a male SA bayonet, just like you have on a Sigma SA mount lens, on the back.

The Nikon mount has a 42mm bore diameter but the SA mount has a 44.5mm bore diameter...That 2.5mm difference is just enough to make this new adapter possible.

DaSigmaGuy
Like?
In reply to ChromeLight, Feb 25, 2012

ChromeLight wrote:

It now allows for infinity focus...Before this new JTAT adapter was developed the only available adapter to allow users of the SD14, SD15, SD1 or SD1M to use Nikon lenses was the cheap to buy Roxsen Nikon mount lens to M42 mount camera adapter...That had to be used via an M42-SA adapter of course, so making the registration distance far too long to allow infinity focus. It does give a macro magnification advantage though, ie: It creates macro images with larger magnification than could be achieved with the same if it were able to focus to infinity...So for macro use the Roxsen is still a good option but for everything else Sigma users may want to use Nikon lenses for (portraits, landscapes, etc) the new JTAT adapter will be an almost essential accessory.

DaSigmaGuy
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Feb 25, 2012

D Cox wrote:

ChromeLight wrote:

It allows focus to all distances including infinity.

Correct.

The problem here is that a Sigma camera is only a couple of mm thinner than a Nikon, so the adaptor has to be no more than a couple of mm thick. If it was, for instance, 10mm thick, the lens could focus at close distances but not to infinity.

The registration distance of the Nikon mount is 46.5mm and it has a bore diameter of 43.5mm. The registration distance of the SA mount is 44mm and it has a bore diameter of 45.5mm. That 2.5mm difference in reg distance plus the 2mm difference in bore diameter is just enough to make this adapter possible.

DaSigmaGuy
Like?
In reply to Topi, Feb 25, 2012

Topi wrote:

Isn't the 14-24 a G lens? That would make it a bit difficult to use as there's no aperture ring and the aperture will be f:32 or whatever the smallest aperture setting is.

-Topi

Actually, its more likely to be stuck wide open on the SA mount rather than stopped right down...All AF lenses meter wide open and it requires electronic feedback from the camera to close the iris down.

So he will be able to use G lenses too, but only at their widest aperture all the time and he will have to use manual focus all the time too, because the AF wont work either.

DaSigmaGuy
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Feb 25, 2012

D Cox wrote:

This is about the price Novoflex in Germany charge for their range of lens-to-camera adaptors. (Which do not include SA.)

Mass-produced Chinese adaptors are about 10-20% of this price.

True, but given the extremely small volume of Sigma camera sales worldwide, compared to that of other brands, I seriously dought that the Chinese will ever think its worth their while mass producing Nikon-SA adapters.

Mind you, the Chinese have mass produced M42-SA adapters of a sort already (Which are really just modified M42-PK adapters) so who knows?...

armaco
Senior MemberPosts: 2,839Gear list
Like?

Nice to know , I may get on when it's ready.
--
You cannot explain everything to everyone ...
Pythagoras of Samos 570-500BC

Kostas Sarris

http://blog.sarrisphoto.com/
http://www.pbase.com/armaco/
http://www.sarrisphoto.com
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr/kostas_sarris
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr/kostas_sarris__sd14

armaco's gear list:armaco's gear list
Sigma DP1x Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon D700 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 +22 more
DrBanner
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?

Sounds like good news.
But will this work with all nikkor lenses, or only with some?

I read somewhere that with some lenses the back lens-element will hit the dust-protector (think that was related to m42 lenses?).

Unfortunately some of the most interesting lenses for the SD1, like the Nikkor 35mm f1.4, doesn't have a manual aperture ring. Sigma really need to make some high quality wide-angle primes if they are serious about developing their own camera system.

DaSigmaGuy
Like?
In reply to DrBanner, Feb 25, 2012

DrBanner wrote:

Sounds like good news.
But will this work with all nikkor lenses, or only with some?

I read somewhere that with some lenses the back lens-element will hit the dust-protector (think that was related to m42 lenses?).

Unfortunately some of the most interesting lenses for the SD1, like the Nikkor 35mm f1.4, doesn't have a manual aperture ring.

Er, yes it does!...Here is my Nikon 35mm f1.4 Ai-S that I converted to SA mount:

DrBanner
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?

DaSigmaGuy wrote:

Er, yes it does!...Here is my Nikon 35mm f1.4 Ai-S that I converted to SA mount:

Ah, ok, I made an error there. I was loking at this lens:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-S-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0042X9LB0

olimpero
Regular MemberPosts: 310
Like?
Great news

Great news,

before this it was needed two adapter without focus to infinity,
this new adapter is the best solution,
now we need focus confirmation, or it has?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads