which pocketable camera has the longest resolution-adjusted telephoto reach?

Started Feb 24, 2012 | Discussions
Alex Notpro
Contributing MemberPosts: 561Gear list
Like?
which pocketable camera has the longest resolution-adjusted telephoto reach?
Feb 24, 2012

which pocketable camera has the longest resolution-adjusted reach?

by "resolution-adjusted" what I mean is, effective reach after cropping to a comparable resolution, e.g.:

a 16MP camera with 300mm equiv reach, is the same resolution-adjusted as a 12MP camera with 450mm reach -- because after cropping to fit the subject, both result in the same-resolution photo.

I already own a DSLR with 300mm f/5.6 zoom lens, unfortunately the pictures are too low-res after cropping to fit the subject. So I'm looking to complement this with an additional camera to carry in my pocket.

Thanks

Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Apple iPhone 5s +11 more
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 11,468Gear list
Like?
Re: which pocketable camera has the longest resolution-adjusted telephoto reach?
In reply to Alex Notpro, Feb 24, 2012

Alex Notpro wrote:

which pocketable camera has the longest resolution-adjusted reach?

by "resolution-adjusted" what I mean is, effective reach after cropping to a comparable resolution, e.g.:

a 16MP camera with 300mm equiv reach, is the same resolution-adjusted as a 12MP camera with 450mm reach -- because after cropping to fit the subject, both result in the same-resolution photo.

I don't think that this is correct. The 300mm lens has a FoV that is 1.5 times larger than the 450mm both horizontally and vertically . The FoV area is 2.25 times larger so cropping to the 450mm FoV leaves you with only 7.1MP.

I already own a DSLR with 300mm f/5.6 zoom lens, unfortunately the pictures are too low-res after cropping to fit the subject. So I'm looking to complement this with an additional camera to carry in my pocket.

I suspect that the quality of the images from a compact superzoom after cropping will be significantly inferior to what you can get from from your 300mm lens on a DSLR. Superzooms are not known for their IQ at maximum focal length.

You either need to get closer to your subject or to buy a longer lens or both. Remember that if you subject is a long way away atmospheric haze may be the limiting factor.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads